As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post-con funk

proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
Okay, you're in a building with thousands upon thousands of people, it's not terribly surprising that that combined with sleep deprivation gets some people kind of sick, whether it's just a cold or full blown internal hemorrhaging...

Share your horror stories/sad tales of the post con funk

camo_sig2.png
proXimity on

• Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are we talkin' post con illness or depression?

In a way, we're still at PAX, except it's in message board form. But here, we won't get sick or sad. Well, okay, maybe sad...

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mostly physical illness. We all feel sad about PAX being over...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ineptbeermanineptbeerman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My feet look like they were run through a meat grinder. All the walking has got them covered in blisters. Otherwise I'm exhausted, but I feel great, just sort of dazed.

I'm ready for a few days of down time, lots of sleep and no walking till I've got to go back to work on Friday I think.

ineptbeerman on
  • Options
    KTShyGuyKTShyGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I now have a cold. Thank you, asshole, whoever you are.

Though I can't say I would have skipped PAX if I was the guy with a cold.

KTShyGuy on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Everyone has it. My children have it. How I don't have it? No fucking clue.

I need sleep, but instead, I'm browsing the boards.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just the usual achy joints for me from all the walking and standing. I'm usually good about not getting sick.

Only time I've ever got sick con-related-wise was (I think) 2005 for Sakura Con (whichever year was the last year at the Sea-Tac Hilton). Caught a fever Saturday night. Fucked me over for the rest of that weekend.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was feeling like crap for most of the weekend, but am actually feeling better now -- achy from sleeping on a hotel floor and walking all over, but otherwise pretty good!

The funk I'm feeling is different -- it's not even being sad, it's just being bored, and feeling pretty drained.

babelfish on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Exhausted, can't sleep, playing Castle Crashers, trying to sleep, reading boards, feeling a little lonely after hanging out with some awesome people the past two days.

That's my post PAX funk right now.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It can't be over.

If there is a diametric opposite of post-traumatic stress disorder, I have it. Post-ecstatic comedown disorder?I don't feel like I wasted a minute of the weekend, it was so awesome, but I do feel like there was a huge amount of stuff I didn't get to do and people I didn't get to meet.

And yes, my feet hurt something fierce, too, and I'm exhausted. But now I'm a believer! First PAX, never going to miss it again.

dovirstrgn on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My little group kept vitamin C drops & zinc on hand to keep the Con Crud at bay... It seems to have worked so far.

My legs hurt though from standing so long. *laugh*

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah thankfully the only thing I suffered though physically are some small hangovers.

Other then that I'm just really sad to see PAX come and go one more time, I actually shedded a tear about it just a moment ago.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    haiku saddened me :| awww pax is over T_T. siiiiigh.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    As I left the parking garage this evening, I continued playing my newly-acquired Mario Galaxy OST CD (thanks, Pink Godzilla) and I was on the track for the music for the final battle with Bowser. The mood kinda fit as I approached the booth to pay. Then, after I left the garage, some of the poigniant piano solo music from the ending started playing. Then, once I hit I-5 the big flourishing end credit music started playing. I couldn't help but think somehow fate had decided to score my exit from PAX, and in the back of my head, an imaginary cameraman was zooming out from my car as I drove away into the distance, revealing the expanse of the highway I was driving on and displaying the horizon, then fading to black.

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

[edit]BTW, PikaPuff. I don't really know you, I thought I should let you know, someone mistook me for you (must've been the Poké Balls dangling from my backpack). I didn't realize at the time that he was referencing someone from this forum since I hardly ever come here, so I was completely bewildered until now. I just gave him this look of complete confusion and uttered, "no".

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    AragornAragorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice =)

Aragorn on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ferquin wrote: »
    As I left the parking garage this evening, I continued playing my newly-acquired Mario Galaxy OST CD (thanks, Pink Godzilla) and I was on the track for the music for the final battle with Bowser. The mood kinda fit as I approached the booth to pay. Then, after I left the garage, some of the poigniant piano solo music from the ending started playing. Then, once I hit I-5 the big flourishing end credit music started playing. I couldn't help but think somehow fate had decided to score my exit from PAX, and in the back of my head, an imaginary cameraman was zooming out from my car as I drove away into the distance, revealing the expanse of the highway I was driving on and displaying the horizon, then fading to black.

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

I had the same sort've experience back in 06...

But yeah atleast I got the WCTT now to provide some last second huzzah.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i saw someone with a backpack with burger king pokeballs on it. it was probably you. i saw you about 60 people ahead of me in the final round line.

my post-pax-tramatic-syndrome was going to a pub near bumbershoot and almost grabbing my DS to chat up the people in the bar with pictochat

:(

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Then, yeah. That was me. Pretty sure I'm the only one that dares display Burger King Poké Balls brazenly on my backpack.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aye, I'm definitely feeling down about it being over. It was truly an awesome experience! But it feels like I'll be waking up from a dream tomorrow. =( It's a lot of great people to have to say goodbye to. =( But I guess it's not goodbye forever, there's always the forums, IRC, and next PAX!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The car broke down when I was on my way back home, which really sucks with it being the last day and all. You kinda wanna at least go home and hop on the boards or something, and rest your tired legs, but uh... yeah. That sucked. And then I was about to grab my DS for some Pictochat while waiting for someone to come to us, but then I realized there wouldn't be anyone there.

Psychoish on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i kept getting randomly dizzy at the con. Never before has that happened.

though i did sleep better at my hotel than i do at home.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was sick during PAX, and I still am.

But the worst thing I feel is regret.
    Not just like "Oh well. It sucks that I didn't do it" regret.
    I'm talking stomache wrenching, headacheing regret.

There were all these develpors there, and most of them are totally awesome.
    I had multiple chances to talk to Todd Howard/Kim Swift/Tom Fulp, but completley passed them up.
    I also feel like I didn't get enough awesome swag like some people did. Not mad at the booths, I just wasn't in the right place at the right time.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate it when PAX ends, and I didn't get to meet everyone.

Earley on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Earley wrote: »
    I hate it when PAX ends, and I didn't get to meet everyone.

I sense you're filled with hate pretty much every year. You should chill out, and be happy with only meeting like, 98%. That's pretty good, right?

Houn on
  • Options
    Altima NEOAltima NEO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I caught a cold too. I cant believe some asshole would come to such an event full of people while sick. Quite inconsiderate.

Altima NEO on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dude. It's just going around. Also, you can spread a cold before you have symptoms.

Though yeah, most people don't skip events they paid mass cash for over a cold.

Houn on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It needs to end because we crawl ever closer to next year, where I might possibly be able to go. And even if not, its closer to ECPAX.

Goose! on
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But it feels like I'll be waking up from a dream tomorrow.
    I'd be with you VT except for the part where I woke up with sore legs from standing and sore shoulders from holding my backpack and swag bag

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I too am in a funk. So i'm sitting around the sheraton waiting till i have to be at the ferry. @ 2pm :(

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought I might have stood too close to the HotHead booth and caught a pretty serious case of Awesome.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aside from a bunch of blisters from walking around and sore legs, I'm pretty good. I haven't gotten that cold that's been going around...yet

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aside from a bunch of blisters from walking around and sore legs, I'm pretty good. I haven't gotten that cold that's been going around...yet

as long as you didn't avoid getting the cold by not going to PAX then you're good

emorimiku on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, I caught that cold too. Damn you! (cough cough)

And I think I also caught a cold.... in my heart...

;) See you all next year!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm that's funny, I had a cold all weekend too! Halls was barely helping, bleeh.

Dopeski on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    you don't have to wait that long. I think we could get another zoo trip going and you might be able to say hi to us then.

emorimiku on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zoo trip, another BBQ, lunch at dicks....and so on

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    seckzeeseckzee Saphyre SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm missing MarsChelios who just left on a plane. I wish it would at least get sunny outside. Everyone in Seattle is Bumbershooting. I'm running my space heater for the first time in months because its really cold in my house. Bleh!

seckzee on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This year, I don't feel near as bad the day after as I did last year (my first PAX).

I think it was a combination of actually getting enough sleep (got around 6 hours a night) and laying off chugging energy drinks all day.

I felt damn good this morning, not really achy, not sore, just a bit of sad panda syndrome from PAX being over.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    emorimiku wrote: »
    you don't have to wait that long. I think we could get another zoo trip going and you might be able to say hi to us then.

WooHoo!!!!! You are all so much fun!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zoo trip, another BBQ, lunch at dicks....and so on

yeah last time we went to Australia, but we couldn't find Cuzza or Macca so hopefully on the next zoo trip we'll find them

emorimiku on
  • Options
    2VipeRS2VipeRS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had the shakes after only sleeping 15 minutes and driving 24 hrs from a bit too much malnutrition from all the candy and drinks. The way back was much better! :) I managed to sneak in a good and healthy big meal just outside Seattle for the trip back. Made it back, through a wicked snow storm, tons of rain, and a very overcast sky. WHEW!!!!! That was the most amazing bunch of AWESOME I have ever been to!

Thank to all that made the trip so much fun *Special hugs for Crystal*

2VipeRS on
    '08 & '09 CCST Survivor (just barely)
This discussion has been closed.