As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

need moar RAM [Update: OHNOES]

The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
As the title says. I have an Acer Aspire 5720Z notebook running vista on 1GB ram. Its a little clunky, I want 2GB. I can go to 4 on the system, but apparently that's a bit pointless without a 64-bit OS...?

I know what type to get (from crucial.com, "...each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot"), so there's that, but brands and sites to buy from are a bit of a mystery. So, aussie people, is upgradeable.com any good? The site is very user-friendly, and the lifetime warranty seems super, but they also seem cagey about exactly where their components come from.

They're charging $59 per 1GB stick of the RAM compatible with my system. Decent price y/n? I've seen them a lot cheaper elsewhere but I'm aware that one takes a quality hit with the 'value' product lines.

Halp halp!

tmsig.jpg
The Cat on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i'm not sure exactly how it rates in terms of other suppliers but i bought all my stuff when building this computer from eyo.com.au - i recieved all the parts within a day or two of ordering them, they were cheap as and i didn't have a single problem.

you can get a gig of pc2-6400 for $40, for example

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ooooh. neat. ta!

edit: actually, they seem a little light on the exact type I need. Isn't what you've linked me for desktops?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Newegg.com is where a lot of people get individual computer components in the states. No idea how well it'd work for Australia though.

Quid on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Newegg doesn't ship outside of North America, unfortuntely. Australia, on the flip side, has PriceSpy for all your competitive pricing needs. Here the link to the 1GB DDR2 SODIMM - they start at about AUD$25-$30.

Just make sure that you actually have the space in the laptop to put the RAM into! It's pretty common for a laptop to come with only two slots for RAM and both already used up.

For example, you have 1GB of RAM, but that might be comprised of 2 x 512MB sticks. If this is the case, then you'll end up having to replace one of the 512MB sticks with the 1GB stick. This means that instead of a total of 2GB that you were hoping for, you'd end up with your new 1GB stick + your old 512MB stick = 1.5GB of RAM. This might not be an issue for you - not sure of your exact configuration, but it happens enough to laptop owners that I thought I should mention it.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Try checking [URL="http://www.umart.com.au/]U-Mart[/URL] at Milton for some memory they're cheap but be aware of their returns policy.

The Rocking M on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Newegg doesn't ship outside of North America, unfortuntely. Australia, on the flip side, has PriceSpy for all your competitive pricing needs. Here the link to the 1GB DDR2 SODIMM - they start at about AUD$25-$30.

Just make sure that you actually have the space in the laptop to put the RAM into! It's pretty common for a laptop to come with only two slots for RAM and both already used up.

For example, you have 1GB of RAM, but that might be comprised of 2 x 512MB sticks. If this is the case, then you'll end up having to replace one of the 512MB sticks with the 1GB stick. This means that instead of a total of 2GB that you were hoping for, you'd end up with your new 1GB stick + your old 512MB stick = 1.5GB of RAM. This might not be an issue for you - not sure of your exact configuration, but it happens enough to laptop owners that I thought I should mention it.

Its cool, this machine has two slots, and there's currently a 512MB in each. I was just going to swap them out with the new ones. Thanks for the link :)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If there's a store nearby I heartily recommend MSY. Yeah their website looks dodgy as hell but damn do they have great prices.

I've built 2 entire computers with parts bought from them and haven't had any problems with them. There's a reason that you get to the shop first thing in the morning and there's already a line.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All MSY shops are in Sydney. I agree though, cool place.

theSquid on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    All MSY shops are in Sydney. I agree though, cool place.

There's a bunch in Victoria (well, melbourne really) South Australia and Queensland too. Might be worth checking out the site again to see if there's one opened up a bit closer to you.

If you can avoid it, don't try and use their site to search for anything... it might be worth giving them a call to see if they have what you need instead.

It might be worth checking out scorptec too. They often have some pretty competitive prices.

Trentus on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought the parts to my current PC from Techbuy, and they're pretty reliable (I assume) - 1GB DDR2 for notebooks is $32, minus shipping from them.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cool. so, is there that big a difference between the $29-30 chips and the pricier lines? I read a couple of review articles that said to avoid the low-end lines marked "value" or whatever. I had no idea RAM was so freakin' complicated...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Basically, cheap RAM can have dodgy components that won't stand up to the stress and fail within a matter of weeks. It's best to stick with known brand names like Crucial, Kingston, and Corsair. Also, putting 4 GB isn't a bad idea if you have a 32-bit OS, just understand that your accessible memory tops out at about 3.5 GB (including video RAM as well.)

Also, you always want to make sure that your slots aren't paired. If they are, you need to make sure the RAM in each slot matches.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ah, ok. Yeah, they have to match, but that's no problem.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well I wound up going with a couple of these from here, which have consistently good reviews. Thanks, all.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Crucial, Kingston, Corsair etc. value ranges should be fine. The XXXXXTREEEEEME versions typically just have a performance edge (faster clock speed eg which you might not even notice depending on what you use them for) and/or better cooling fins for overclocking. Maybe flashing LEDs. Stuff you probably don't need in other words.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, shit. I can't get the stuff I bought to work. Now here's the thing; every website on the internet except for Acer's itself swears up and down that this laptop can take 4MB RAM at max. It was a selling point when I bought the damn machine. I'm really not sure whether I'm misreading the specs on the Acer website, or everyone else on the planet is. Occam's razor says its not me, but still...

it registers the memory fine, but windows won't start, I get a BSOD and then I get nowhere. Tried all that swapping-chips stuff, searching for any driver updates I might need now. Anything else I should be checking?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Try one RAM module at a time.

If they both work individually, then the laptop can't handle 4Gb.

If one of them doesn't work, it's boned.

If both of them don't work. maybe they are both broken, maybe they aren't compatible modules or maybe you aren't doing it right. That's where the process of elimination method sort of comes undone.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    its dual channel, though...?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think you can still run Dual Channel modules independently.

You can even run them with non-dual channel, you just don't get the extra performance.

I think. Lemme go check that before I suggest something that might break something.

Edit: Yeah, I think dual channel is controlled by the motherboard, it isn't necessarily something specific to your modules. So if it detects two matching RAM modules it activates dual channel mode, if not it just runs on regular single channel mode.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh, and the BSOD error is 'PFN_LIST_CORRUPT', if that helps

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That means Windows can't work the swap file between the RAM and the HD. Your RAM is borked, time for an RMA.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I dunno, googling around gives me a couple of people blaming Acer's bios (I've got the latest version but apparently it doesn't just ignore RAM space it can't make use of, or something), and another person saying Acer's tech support told them that 4GB should be fine. Not sure how successful I'll be trying to return the sticks.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PFN_LIST_CORRPUT usually relates to bad RAM. If you have memtest give it a whirl.

However, dual channel memory will work with single modules and even conflicting modules. You'll just not get the dual channel benefits. (For instance if I do this in my laptop it just detects the only module in and goes with it) If you could, test each of the modules separately and see if they both work independently and let's see if we can isolate this as bad RAM or RAM that fails to act together in dual channel mode.

Does BIOS detect the RAM? If so, does it detect all of it? It may be crucial to flash the BIOS and such to update it in case of an errata that fixed issues that pertain to this. I'll look to see if your particular laptop has anything like that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Its certainly detecting it all, but I can't get windows to boot at all when they're in, so I can't run tests on the modules (not without instructions on how to get around that, if its possible). I'll try just one stick tomorrow, and I'll go through all the drivers I can find and make sure they're updated - apparently sound drivers can cause this kind of problem. But it'll have to wait, I'm too sleepy for thinking.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I did some searching for you, it turns out the absolute maximum the Aspire 5720z can support is 3GB. This will still work in dual channel (Asynchronous mode). Putting the 1 GB chip in the slot closest to the Motherboard and a 2GB chip in the next slot your computer should boot fine now. I'll let you decide from here. Most likely both chips will proceed to boot perfectly fine in your machine independently of one another.

Do you know anyone that would want to swap a 1GB chip for a 2GB chip maybe?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was having trouble with some ram and after swapping stuff out I eventually swapped all the new stuff i wanted in again and suddenly it just worked. RAM seems to take some sort of magic touch to get in just right, the plastic clips holding it in and everything appearing to line up doesn't seem to be enough.

If you bio's is crappy you might have to run less then 4, I would try swapping different sticks in and out and just keep fiddling to see what boots up and what doesn't.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    I was having trouble with some ram and after swapping stuff out I eventually swapped all the new stuff i wanted in again and suddenly it just worked. RAM seems to take some sort of magic touch to get in just right, the plastic clips holding it in and everything appearing to line up doesn't seem to be enough.

If you bio's is crappy you might have to run less then 4, I would try swapping different sticks in and out and just keep fiddling to see what boots up and what doesn't.

Her specific BIOS actually lets you boot with 4, but then fails to properly address it all and ends up BSoDing Windows Vista.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, seems I'm stuck. I may be Having Words with Acer...

I'll have to sell one of the 2GBs and grab a 1GB, because the only other chips I've got are a couple of 512MBs that came with the system, and I don't think their specs will be similar enough to the new gear to put them in together.

So, I can actually put in just one 2GB chip for now without breaking the machine, right?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Yeah, seems I'm stuck. I may be Having Words with Acer...

I'll have to sell one of the 2GBs and grab a 1GB, because the only other chips I've got are a couple of 512MBs that came with the system, and I don't think their specs will be similar enough to the new gear to put them in together.

So, I can actually put in just one 2GB chip for now without breaking the machine, right?

Dual channel is more about the motherboard than the RAM. How it works is each RAM slot is given it's own dedicated bus to the processor. This allows each RAM slot to work independently (In a four slot, two slots share a channel). Dual channel works fine with two regular RAM sticks that have the exact same specs. A dual channel RAM kit is only RAM certified to work in a dual channel board, but there's nothing actually different about it. So a single stick is just fine.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, the 2GB chip is running fine by itself, so that's something, I guess. If I manage to return or sell the other 2GB stick and then buy a 1GB stick to add in (so, total of 3), the machine will be fine apart from possibly lower stability, yes?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't see how lower stability would be a factor, but the machine will be fine.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Hmm, the 2GB chip is running fine by itself, so that's something, I guess. If I manage to return or sell the other 2GB stick and then buy a 1GB stick to add in (so, total of 3), the machine will be fine apart from possibly lower stability, yes?

It'll be perfectly fine. No stability issues should arise from what I've seen.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you bought the 2x2Gb as a pack then you'll probably have to return both and then buy a single 2Gb and a single 1Gb.

But yeah, there wouldn't be any stability issues. All that's going to happen is you might not get them running dual channel, which would just mean it'd be a bit slower. And even then, depending on your chipset, there's an outside chance that they might run dual channel anyway (Wikipedia: Certain Intel chipsets support different capacity chips in what they call Flex Mode: the capacity that can be matched is run in dual-channel, while the remainder runs in single-channel).

What you should do, is make sure that the two sticks you get have matching speed and latency ratings, otherwise it'll bottle at the slowest of the two sticks. Not a huge deal, just a waste of money if you buy a super fast 1Gb stick and a slower, cheaper 2Gb stick.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Supposedly her chipset supports that weird asynchronous/flex DC mode.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    bowen wrote: »

Cool, so basically she should get 2x1Gb running dual channel and 1Gb running single, assuming the 1 & 2Gb sticks she gets are otherwise identical.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    bowen wrote: »

Cool, so basically she should get 2x1Gb running dual channel and 1Gb running single, assuming the 1 & 2Gb sticks she gets are otherwise identical.

More or less. A lot of websites point to a 3 GB hard max, but a 4GB max bootable (however BIOS won't address it properly and causes all sorts of funky errors like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=285348

In particular:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=3764709&postcount=2

bowen on