Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Google Chrome: Google builds an OPERATING SYSTEM! (p34)

FremFrem Registered User regular
Update: Google is now using Chrome as the centerpiece of a new web-os targeted at netbooks.
Announcement!

Discussion starts on page 34. We now return you to your regularly scheduled OP.

=====

So, Google is apparently building a web browser. Sweet!

Comic book action!
Blog post
Blurry photographic evidence

Random details!
  • Based on WebKit, the same engine Konqueror and Safari use.
  • Very heavily based around Tabs. Each tab is it's own process, and each tab is sandboxed. Buggy Web 2.0 sites can no longer take down the entire web browser.
  • Interesting permission system.
  • Really fast JavaScript execution. The page talks about compiling it to machine code.
  • Takes Firefox 3's awesomebar and makes it more handy/private.
  • Grabs a bunch of nifty UI stuff from Opera.
  • Plugins!
  • Open source!

...and beta coming soon. Windows first, Linux and OS X in the works.

This is made of win SO HARD.

The download was supposed to go up on midnight Monday, but they appear to be redirecting people back to search right now. It'll probably reactive within the next day or so.

Download

Frem on
«13456729

Posts

  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    •Very heavily based around Tabs. Each tab is it's own process, and each tab is sandboxed. Buggy Web 2.0 sites can no longer take down the entire web browser.

    These are already in Internet Explorer, so nothing new. :(

    Buh?

    IE8, yes. But not in IE7. And IE8 is still in beta and far from out, so.....?

    And also won't ever be coming to the Mac.

    I'm actually pretty interested in this. I already run Bloglines and HiTask in Firefox along with forum browsing etc. and access our company database through Safari. Bloglines and HiTask are essentially web apps that are constantly running and can get a bit chuggy sometimes. The database is more of a passive project management application - it only does stuff when I tell it too - but I do a lot of uploading and downloading of very large print-ready artwork files through it and usually have multiple job tabs open at all times. It sounds like Google Chrome could be an ideal browser for the database, bloglines and HiTask and then I can keep Firefox for casual browsing. Or possibly just have a separate collection of tabs in Chrome if it really is that good.

  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    nah, ie8 is just the same. They handle tab's "literally" as tabs with the little graphic of a file tab, and if i have 15-20 tabs open i'll need to scroll through all of them.
    I see your point, just let me ask you this. Have you tried IE's quick tabs function (ctrl+q)?
    And also won't ever be coming to the Mac.
    Ah yes I did not think about OSX, Linux's market share is so low they can be ignored. Like many people I don't understand why Google would bother doing this instead of just releasing a few more official Google plug-ins for Firefox. I'm just enjoying some of the irony here about how supposedly MS is always copying OSX or playing catch up to IE and now Google is copying IE8. The only thing that would surprise me more than Chrome is if the final version of IE8 was released for Windows & Mac.

  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2008
    I'll give it a look, but somehow I doubt it's going to pry me away from Safari.

  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interesting, depending how it flows i'll give it a look. Gonna have to take something mighty to shift me away from Firefox.

    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And also won't ever be coming to the Mac.
    Ah yes I did not think about OSX, Linux's market share is so low they can be ignored. Like many people I don't understand why Google would bother doing this instead of just releasing a few more official Google plug-ins for Firefox.

    Because they like Google Gears, and would like it to become a widely used standard, among other things. It sounds like they'd like most of the features included to become standards, defacto or not.

  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Without a doubt I'll be trying it out to see what the deal it, but this early I don't think it will pull me from Firefox. I'd still be interesting to see where Google goes with this...

    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll give it a try - at the very least I'll install it on my work PC (we do web support, so it's always handy to have multiple browsers installed). As someone else pointed out - even if you have no plans on installing the browser, read the comic it's incredibly interesting.

    steam_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm absolutely going to try this out. I have pretty much every browser(IE8, FF3, Opera, even safari) at least installed on my machine. I use firefox mainly, and I'll give this a try.

  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For anyone asking "Why is google doing this?" read the comic. It's a great explanation of just that.

    I can't wait to give this a try...we'll see how it goes..

    3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Q_Prime wrote: »
    as someone who devs websites i hope that google fixes webkit if they are going to use it, i noticed safari has a rendering issue that isn't present in fx, ie or opera... i'm cautiously optimistic about this but knowing i'm going to need to test on another web browser is a pain in the butt.

    Also, Safari crashes whenever I visit maps.google.com

    So they should probably make sure that Google Chrome doesn't do that.

  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2008
    Q_Prime wrote: »
    as someone who devs websites i hope that google fixes webkit if they are going to use it, i noticed safari has a rendering issue that isn't present in fx, ie or opera... i'm cautiously optimistic about this but knowing i'm going to need to test on another web browser is a pain in the butt.

    Also, Safari crashes whenever I visit maps.google.com

    So they should probably make sure that Google Chrome doesn't do that.

    Buh? I've got no problems in Safari for that.

  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Safari is fast as shit on OS X, I use firefox though because adblocking and mouse gestures. Chrome would also have to support adblocking and mouse gestures for me to even consider it.

    ByalIX8.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone know of a good filtering application to use with this when it launches? Something like Proxomitron to act like Adblock Plus in case Google doesn't have something as cool as it.

    mtap.jpg
  • ZellZell Registered User
    edited September 2008
    I was really impressed when Internet Explorer 8 made tabs unable to crash the browser. Then Google goes and makes a browser with a task manager and also copies all of Opera's best features.

    Some concerns I have though:
    Where will the bookmark bar go?
    Will this be skinned application that I can't get to look native?
    Will it be a MDI browser? popups windows belonging to another tabs gets me to hope it will

  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2008
    Zell wrote: »
    I was really impressed when Internet Explorer 8 made tabs unable to crash the browser. Then Google goes and makes a browser with a task manager and also copies all of Opera's best features.

    Some concerns I have though:
    Where will the bookmark bar go?
    Will this be skinned application that I can't get to look native?
    Will it be a MDI browser? popups windows belonging to another tabs gets me to hope it will

    I think the point of it is that you don't need a bookmark bar. The new tab page (nine most visited sites, frequent search sites etc.) in combination with the awesome++ bar should mean that you never have to bookmark.

    After sleeping on it, I'm willing to give this thing a try. My only issue is that I have an iPhone, and the bookmark syncing is awesome.

  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This looks to be very promising. I'm hopeful, but not skeptical, because I think they really can deliver what they're promising here. It's in their best interest to create a multi-platform browser that works really well because their business depends on people being able to surf the web!

    The comic was a tad long and incredibly deep in technical detail, but I was glad to have read it. As a developer, I can see that they were thinking hard about rebooting the browser landscape by redesigning it from the ground up. Most browsers today have evolved from many interations to do things that just don't sit well with the scope of the original purpose of web browsers. I think this is a huge step in the right direction.

    Can't wait to download it.




  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The download will be up in 38 minutes.

    I write about games at Curiouser.org
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    The download will be up in 38 minutes.

    It was supposed to go active hours ago, where do you see a time estimate that accurate?

  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »
    The download will be up in 38 minutes.

    It was supposed to go active hours ago, where do you see a time estimate that accurate?

    I'm watching a webcast right now of their introduction of Chrome. It's being released at noon.

    Webcast is here if anyone wants to check it out:

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080902005540&newsLang=en

    I write about games at Curiouser.org
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2008
    Cool, I'll be at work in a few hours (read: access to Windows machines) so I'll probably give it a try.

  • ZellZell Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Zell wrote: »
    I was really impressed when Internet Explorer 8 made tabs unable to crash the browser. Then Google goes and makes a browser with a task manager and also copies all of Opera's best features.

    Some concerns I have though:
    Where will the bookmark bar go?
    Will this be skinned application that I can't get to look native?
    Will it be a MDI browser? popups windows belonging to another tabs gets me to hope it will

    I think the point of it is that you don't need a bookmark bar. The new tab page (nine most visited sites, frequent search sites etc.) in combination with the awesome++ bar should mean that you never have to bookmark.
    I have a startup site like that, I search from my address bar and can use my address bar to revisit sites easily. I still prefer a bookmark bar :/

  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2008
    Zell wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »
    Zell wrote: »
    I was really impressed when Internet Explorer 8 made tabs unable to crash the browser. Then Google goes and makes a browser with a task manager and also copies all of Opera's best features.

    Some concerns I have though:
    Where will the bookmark bar go?
    Will this be skinned application that I can't get to look native?
    Will it be a MDI browser? popups windows belonging to another tabs gets me to hope it will

    I think the point of it is that you don't need a bookmark bar. The new tab page (nine most visited sites, frequent search sites etc.) in combination with the awesome++ bar should mean that you never have to bookmark.
    I have a startup site like that, I search from my address bar and can use my address bar to revisit sites easily. I still prefer a bookmark bar :/

    My bookmark bar (links bar, whathaveyou) has four actual functional links right now (and two javascript nuggets), so this could be useful to me.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tis up.

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Features Link:
    http://gears.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html?hl=en

    Download link doesn't seem to work yet.

    3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Posting from it now, it seems nice. I'll post later with more thoughts.

    PIZTDhW.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also posting from it.

    Not bad so far, I like that opening a new empty tab shows shapshots of recently/most visited sites.

    Also no status bar.

    And Vista integration is very nice. Hooray glass. :)

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is a bookmarks bar for those that were wanting it.

    3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Trying it out. Seems neat so far. Reminds me of Safari, which isn't surprising given the Webkit roots. I've always liked the feature of being able to drag tabs between windows.

    The new tab bookmarks thing reminds me of Opera, is it? I haven't used Opera in a while.

    Also, I like the text rendering a little bit better than Firefox.

    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't like how the status bar at the bottom flashes up everytime you load a page. Also don't like how in the URL bar it greys out all but the root domain of the website you're on.

    3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    posting from Chrome.

    I like it. Seems to render a bit nicer, very minimalist interface. I'm not going to pass judgment on it after 5 minutes of use, but I'm definitely going to be trying it out. going to set it as default browser for a week and see what happens.

    one thing I really dont' like: the tab bar being in the title bar of the window. I personally like the tab bar under the address bar ever. But the thing that *really* gets to me, in Firefox if you double click anywhere in the tab bar it opens a new tab. in Chrome because it's part of the title bar it will eitehr maximize/restore the window.

  • ZellZell Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Let's see:

    Combined stop/reload!
    Domain highlighting!
    Download Statusbar!
    Easy bookmarking (like in Firefox)!
    Firefox like find function!
    Spell checking!
    Password remembering like in Firefox!
    Small statusbar that only shows when it is needed!
    Task manager!

    Now the negative:
    Can't change tab size
    Can't import bookmarks from Opera
    Can't truncate bookmark titles
    Doesn't seem to understand it when the taskbar is on the top side of the screen
    No autoscroll, at all (what the hell?)
    Start page has nothing on Opera's Speed Dial
    Ugly skin

    I think this'll be very popular with average web users, it lacks customizability, but it does EVERYTHING so nicely.

  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does it have a search bar function?

    bO0v7.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Does it have a search bar function?
    What do you mean by this? The Address Bar or Omni Bar or WTFthisthingis Bar, is what serves that purpose now. You just type your query in the bar and it runs a google (or your engine of choice) search on that.

    The little spy icon deal on the Incognito Window amuses me.

  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can someone put up a mirror? The download does not seem to want to work.

    EDIT: Never mind. I got it.

  • wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    The little spy icon deal on the Incognito Window amuses me.

    Incognito is kind of a shitty name, although no worse than InPrivate. I wish they would just call it porn mode and get it over with.

  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Can someone put up a mirror? The download does not seem to want to work.

    http://www.google.com/chrome

    bO0v7.png
  • mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like the minimalist environment in Chrome, but I confess that I can't live without my Firefox extensions and skins.

    Also, as expected, the initial memory usage is quite high, but slightly lower overall compared to Firefox after opening a few tabs (87MB in Firefox vs 79MB in Chrome after opening 3 tabs). There seems to be a slight delay opening gmail, but once the javascript is cached, the page opens immediately. This is speed I can appreciate.

    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't really have any FF extensions or skins so I'm not missing anything by using Chrome right now.

    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One other thing about the memory is that because chrome loads each tab in it's own process it's much better about giving back ram when you close a tab. I closed 5 tabs in chrome and it released about 45MB of memory.

«13456729
Sign In or Register to comment.