As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game On: [Shadowrun] Revolution!

gredavingredavin Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
To the gents playing in my SR game:

Alright, here's the deal. I hate oRPG. I gave it a try, but it is no fun for me as a GM. I hate feeling rushed to get a description, or condense characters into 2 dimensional question answerers.

So, here's the deal:

I want to continue our game, it's a great story with really cool PC's. I want to use Skype and we would be playing Sunday mornings. There may be chances for mid week games, like Monday or Thursday nights where we could sit down for an hour and play.

Are you interested?

gredavin on

• Options
    edited September 2006

Concrete rubble, black skies and toxic wastelands: and that’s where the rich live.

Your life in Poland has been a harsh existence, caught in the crossfire of a raging war between your native people and the harsh dictatorship of mother Russia. They took everything; work, money, pride, all the things that you once would have valiantly protected. All of this would give you reason to hate what has become of your country, but it was made worse because of one man who betrayed you all.

You own leader, in a desperate plea for help during the Border Wars sealed the deal. He sold your future to the Red Army, and personally opened the gate to their forces. They promised protection, but when it was all over, they owned you.

The civil war between the rebellion and the military has raged for years, but in recent times has come to a stalemate. The international media cast harsh publicity on the war, naming major corporations as financial backers for both sides. The corporations responded in kind and wiped their hands clean, leaving the filth to find their own way in the darkness.

Eventually, there was no open warfare, the international community cowed Poland into a state of civility. Now, the war is fought in the dark streets of Warsaw, hiding in the shadows away from the all seeing eye of the media. The world doesn’t see what happens in the night. The war is still raging. The people of Poland will make their stand.

You, as players, are soldiers of change, fighting for the revolution that has been waiting on the horizon. Funded by anonymous backers, your exploits will strike deep and hard into Russian occupation, each act of defiance crushing their resolve. In time, they will leave by your hand.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Wroclaw : City of Concrete and Twisted Metal

Looking across the city of Wroclaw , one sees only the skeletal remains of a once proud city. Burned out buildings, half collapsed sky scrapers, and debris knee deep mar the horizon. One would think that only ghosts remain amongst the rubble of this Polish city, but one must look deeper to see that it is alive with a palpable vengeance.

Wroclaw exists in the underground, vast networks of tunnels and bunkers. The Poles have found a meager existence tucked away from the surface world, safe from the assassin’s scope and the tank’s shell. While the war hasn’t been out in the open for years, there is little desirable land above ground worth staking a claim for. No one believes that bombs will never fall again, and one is better to be prepared.

In the last year, Anastazja Michalski of the Red Block political faction has invested sizeable currency for rebuilding the capital city of the Free Republic of Poland. Large sprawling apartment complexes have slowly started to rise out from the mass cement graveyard, giving the city a new look of civilization. Fifteen city blocks on the city’s east side have been completed taken existing partly ruined buildings and renovating and repairing them to habitable conditions. Several businesses have opened in that time, including a few drinking establishments, small shopping complexes and numerous other businesses that have moved from the undercity. Ordinarily, those with money can afford to move from the depths, but a new system has been put in place to award individuals with exceptional military service a place to stay above ground.

The city still suffers from lack of proper water supply, sewer systems and roads but Wroclaw is slowly coming back to civilization. Anastazja has been working with unknown backers to get the Matrix in running order, complete with wi-fi tech, in the new developing section of the city. The current plan is to have everything running by 2072.

The Liberation Army works primarily out of the maze of tunnels below the city. While the standing army has been reduced in size since the media turned the war into a public black eye, Black Ops are still a major part of army operations. Most operatives live in the upper city itself, living in quarters a little more luxurious than the average citizen. They do, however, put their lives on the line in a significant way.

Zielona Gora: The Beachhead

On the southern shores of the Oder River , the city of Zielona Gora hides the remnants of the military might of the Liberation Army. When the world pressured Poland to, on the surface, disarm, the LA simply parked their arsenal in the hearts of Zielona Gora warehouses and storage facilities. The city is guarded fiercly, protected by SAM sites, high tech infantry and armour, and remote defense systems. Russia has attempted to destroy the city several times in the past, but to no avail. Freedom fighting Poles give their lives to protect the symbol of their defiance.

There are three major bridges that traverse the Oder River, jutting out from the massive docks built along the northern edge of the city. It was from this point the Liberation Army poured out with a mighty army and eventually from this point which they retreated to when they were beat back. The bridges are now in ill repair, suffering from lack of maintenance and at one time, frequent bombing.
    The Liberation Army still executes many strikes against Russia from this launching point. Most of the high end equipment is stored here, making it easy for organizing operations on short notice. A handful of professional strike teams train here year round and are ready 24 hours a day should the need arise for their services.

Warsaw-Lodz Sprawl

Excerpt from Shadows of Europe:

Warsaw-Lodz houses eight million people and covers most of Mazowsze with vast industrial monstrosities, ugly towers and black sticky smog. Inside the security wall is central Warsaw with all of the rybrokrat’s houses, corp headquarters and fancy shops. The sprawl beyond the gates is known as Dzungla (the Jungle), a huge maze of industrial clusters surrounded by dormitory quarters, connected by a web of highways and subway lines. The Jungle’s been boiling since the Uprising, and even with army patrols and helicopters flying overhead, riots are frequent. The army’s worst nightmare is city wide disorder, so suppression of riots is quick and brutal.

The northern sprawl, called Pustynia (the Desert), was abandoned during the battle for Warsaw in 2031. Only a few squatters and ghosts of the Russian Army’s victims inhabit the remains of was to be the pride of Poland: Europe’s largest space launching facility. The Red Vory (Russian mafia) transformed many abandoned buildings and basements here into BTL factories and drug labs; streetbatles have been raging for 9 months, ever since Warsaw Syndykat moved in and started taking them over.

Not from Shadows of Europe:

In eight years, Warsaw has changed little. The rybrokrat’s still live in luxury, enjoying the finer things of life that those outside their precious wall never see. The riots have all but subsided, the people having given up hope that their actions hold any true meaning. The city sprawl has been tamed.
    The Warsaw Syndykat, once a direct rival to the Red Vory mafia, completely clinched control of the city in 2065 in what was the largest mass execution of mafia head’s the country had ever seen. Broken and disorganized, the Red Vory fled Poland leaving the Syndykat with autonomous control over the country.

Calozerca’s Carpathian Enclave

November 2062, Poland sees the giant shadow of the dragon Calozerca. It is the first of many appearances by what many believe to be the reincarnation of the Dragon of Wawel, reborn from ashes. The great dragon rules the area in the mountains, worshipped by a cult that believes he will restore the balance of power to the Poles.
    The dragon has shown little interest in politics.

Free Tricity

Since it seceded from the NRP, Tricity has been a gateway to Poland for both corps and enterprising runners. Though the Kapers (pirates) were responsible for the secession, they gave day-to-day ruling to Tricity Corporation (Korporacja Trojmiasto, or T-Korp). T-Korp provides civic government and minimal law enforcement for the city’s three million people. Both the Kaper Council and Pomorze ZS have seats on the Board of Directors.

The northern half of Tricity is neat and tidy corporate ground. Gdynia is an industrial complex built around the Port Polnocny harbor and is property of Pomorze ZS. Despite the Uprising, it’s still the main outlet for Polish exports, and there’s heavy industrial traffic with Warsaw-Lodz (which makes this border a lot more porous than the rybokrats would like). The Sopot sprawl is where the corps keep their headquarters and employees.

To the south there’s Gdansk, the Kaper’s turf. Nowy Port harbors everything from Kronstadt ships to old independent freighters, and sailors on shore leave fill the rundown bars and whorehouses of the classical Old Town. It’s a rough and violent place where T-Korp cops don’t go, but the Kapers usually show up before the fights turn into riots.

Tricity has become a lapdog to Warsaw Lodz and the occupation. Over the years, the city state has gradually given more and more power to the Russians, allowing their reputation as ‘free’ to become severely diminished. Runners and insurgents know to stay away from making deals in Tricity as often the contact is a turncoat.

Molopolska Free Trade Zone

The region around Krakow is under the administration of Saeder-Krupp. There were some Russian forces present until the Uprising, but Schur replaced them with MET2000. Coupled with better working conditions here, this means that demonstrations in Krakow usually don’t end in a bloodbath. The Konglomerat has its largest industrial assets in the area. Tarnow hosts a number of labs from Arianespace. Hermes Eurocom and other S-K subsidiaries, where they’re relatively safer from espionage and government meddling.

Entirely untouched by the war, this area has grown exceedingly rich. Many Poles dream of living in this haven from their bleak existence. Saeder-Krupp has made it a policy to hire down and out Polish families to work in the massive sprawling factories and warehouses to maintain a good image. Given their tarnished reputation when the world found out they were major backers for both sides of the civil war, it is a natural decision.
    Even though the Polish people know they are being used as pawns in a media campaign, they are happy to have work and be able live in a nice part of Poland.

The Politics of Insurgency

Wyzwolenie Armia (Liberation Army)
    Leader: General Ryszard Grabowski (Human)
    Politics: Military Regime
    Important Figures: Stefen Nowakowski, military scientist
    Ludwik Symanski, underground media guerilla
    Notes: The Liberation Army wishes to rule Poland once the Russian’s have been exiled. They will lead by military might, not allowing Poland to become weak, never again needing the assistance of another country. They are popular because of their spearhead against the occupation, not only militarily but through political and social causes. Some are wary of moving from one military regime to another, but so far free Poles trust the LA.

Czerwony Kloc (Red Block)
    Leader: Anastazja Michalski (Human)
    Politics: Communism
    Important Figures: Jacek Zielinski, Industrial Tycoon
    Miron Kozlowski, world renowned philosopher and author
    Notes: The Red Block is a slow growing organization that clings to the idea that Poland is a strong country with strong people. They believe that the future of Polish success lies in the continued focus of heavy industrial and manufactured metals. Anastazja is a young and charismatic entrepreneur who carries full support from the party. She is responsible for the many new above ground residences that have slowly been replacing debris and rubble in the streets of Wroclaw .

Wilk i WłÃ³cznia (Wolf and Spear)
    Leader: Borys Dabrowski (Human)
    Politics: Anarchy
    Important Figures: Iwona Jaworski, heroic veteran of the resistance
    Dymitr Kamiski, head of espionage for the Liberation Army
    Notes: Wolf and Spear have no immediate plans for Poland once the Russians are taken care of. This group is comprised of people who wish to see Russia punished for what they have done to their country. Many have a personal vendetta, personally touched by the violence the occupation has caused. The LA put up with the wanton destruction caused by the WaS because of the sheer amount of damage they inflict. Borys does not desire leadership of the country, but many people within his organization wish to see him rule once the war is over. Every other political party sees this as being just as dangerous as the occupation.

Niezawisły Naród (Independent Nation)
    Leader: Zanna Sawicki (Elf)
    Politics: Democratic
    Important Figures: Anna Claussen, German media celebrity turned social activist
    Mikolaj Wozniak, CEO of Nowy Horyzont, a civil engineering corporation
    Notes: Independent Nation is a party with large international clout whose message preaches an end to the war and acceptance of how the borders currently lie, allowing Poland to become a nation again in the liberated zones.. They have spoken out against the prolonged war and many popular music groups and celebrities have started campaigns in favour of IN. While the war is cast in harsh light, IN has created media frenzy with their focus on human rights and heart warming publicity pieces. Independent Nation is reviled by the Poles fighting the occupation, grumbling about how the world doesn’t know the truth about what goes on beyond the sealed borders. Zanna speaks of restructuring and unity while the hellish ops war tears the country apart piece by piece. Many down and out citizens of Poland, many who gave up on war long ago, see IN as a new guiding hope, reluctantly settling with the idea that Russia is here to stay.

Meta Koalicja (Meta Coalition)
    Leader: Celinka Dudek (orc)
    Politics: Republic
    Important Figures: Halina Majewski, world renowned anthropologist
    Rafal Piotrowski, veteran of the wars
    Notes: The Meta Coalition is primarily concerned with equality for all Poles after the occupation. Meta ’s have faced the brunt of Russian xenophobia and hatred by being thrown in large camps and suffering mass execution. Once media outlets were leaked the story, Russia took a much more meta friendly attitude, at least on the surface. Meta ’s do not enjoy the benefits that a Polish human would, and Celinka Dudek has been the pioneer in ensuring that her kind, as well as other metahumanity is given their due. By launching wide reaching media advertising with funding from several corps out of the Czech Republic , she has brought an international ear to her cause. Celinka has garnered huge popular support from the veterans and current soldiers of the resistance because she once was a guerilla warrior before she turned political. Human and Metahuman resistance fighters alike want to see Celinka in power as president once their war is over. Many people believe that the Meta Coalition will win the political war sure to come once the Russia issue is tackled.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Here are some write ups I did for the game, as well as some maps I made for the game.

February 11, 2070
    7:07 a.m.
    Private Quarters of Franciszka Wieczorek
    East Wroclaw New Development Zone

You received the call early this morning, an urgent message from the Liberation Army dispatcher. Upon accepting the transmission, the meeting details were uploaded to your personal communication device.

You are sitting in an average sized apartment with modest furnishings. Franciszka offered you all a seat when you first arrived and put a fresh pot of coffee in the centre of the table. She is an attractive woman in her early forties, with long, wavy brown hair that is run through with streaks of grey. She dresses modestly, but it looks like she too just woke up. Fran threw on a pair of tattered jeans, and appears she didn’t bother changing out of her pajama top. She wears a mangy pink housecoat, untied.

Franciszka pours herself a coffee and lights the cigarette that dangles from her mouth. With that, she sinks back into her chair and drapes her arm over the backrest.

“Goddamn it’s early,” she says, taking a drag of her cigarette. “My apologies gentlemen, but apparently this is urgent. We got word that we have a turncoat scientist working out of Krakow. Her name is Hergza Uluski, she is a geneticist working for Saeder Krupp but apparently she grew a fucking conscience and wants out.”

Franciska points at the coffee pot. “Take some, shit, I am not drinking it all.” She pulls out her commlink punches in a command.

“Alright,” she continues. “I am uploading the mission docs to you right now. We need you to infiltrate the compound where this woman works, apparently a smelting factory in the industrial zone of Krakow. Hergza insists that despite her being an employee, she is actually more a prisoner. It’s a prison break boys. Payment information is enclosed with the file. Questions?”

Pictures are in the file sent to them, which I sent live over to their email accounts at this point.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5292/polanddt4.jpg
    http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4193/krakowmd0.jpg
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/926/warehousekrakowfi6.jpg

gredavin on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I love Throkk and I love SR but I'm ambivalent towards skype.

Also, I don't have a working microphone.

:(

How horribly terrible would it be if I had to sit in an IRC room or something and just type for Throkk while everyone speaks.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd like to join in, and I have a SR4th edition book, but Ive never played SR before, and havent even finished making my character.

Also, Penny-Arcade has its own Ventrilo server, if you wanted to use that.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20970

Id poster a link proper, but.. yknow... Jailed...

CangoFett on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Gredavin, my D&D group has had a lot of luck mixing Ventrilo and ORPG. You can do all your description stuff through Vent, use ORPG for mapping.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm interested. Never played before though, so I don't know if I could do all your hard work justice :D

When you say Sunday mornings, what time zone are you talking about?

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I am interested.

I would like to get into a SR game not mangled by my own DMing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I wouldn't mind the system that you're suggesting. I just need to figure out how it works :)

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Would be starting fresh or continuing from the train yard?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Depends, what do you guys want?

Also, depends if all the old boys come round again. If not, we'll pick up new players and start again. With Skype, we'll get to the point we did so far in one session!

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    gredavin wrote:
    Depends, what do you guys want?

Also, depends if all the old boys come round again. If not, we'll pick up new players and start again. With Skype, we'll get to the point we did so far in one session!
    Mostly I'm curious, because I've considered replacing Throkk with a hermetic sort.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I would really be interested in playing, and I could devote time to it. I've never played Shadowrun, but I have had some experience with other P&P rpgs.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Not that I'm neccesarily going for this one, but how possible would it be for someone who's never even seen a P&P game to do one of these forum games? Easily, Inconvienent, or Just Forget It?

Scooter on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's pretty difficult to play a forum game if you don't have a working knowledge of the system used.

but then again it also depends on the GM. Some prefer a more looser/story style then staying hard and fast to the rules and vice versa.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the interest everyone, at this time I am not taking new players. This is a game that we played a few times already with a group of players a few months ago.

It's been on hiatus for several weeks now.

There is a possibility that, should some players not show, I will take new players. To be honest, I would prefer a smaller group, and if I could trim it down to 4, or even 3, that would be good.

We'll see what happens, keep checking back here over the next few days, I am looking to play this Sunday so you'll know soon enough if there is room.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Hey, old players

COME BAAAACK

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SeravenSeraven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Alright, alright. . . sorry, I didn't even notice this sub-forum until gred pointed me towards it. :lol:

Everything sounds suitable to me. All I have to do now is pick up a mic in the mean time, and I'll see you blokes on Sunday.

Seraven on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, if a situation arises where you are taking new players, I have bought and read the 4E book as well as rolled a street samurai, in anticipation of playing with a different group that lost contact.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm interested in playing, but I can't play this particular Sunday. Sundays are usually free though, so this is a one time thing.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, if a situation arises where you are taking new players, I have bought and read the 4E book as well as rolled a street samurai, in anticipation of playing with a different group that lost contact.

Yeah same here. :p

Well I have a decker but havn't figured out how to equip him properly.

The book is rather ambiguous when it comes to that.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm interested in playing, but I can't play this particular Sunday. Sundays are usually free though, so this is a one time thing.
    Logic 2 = Logic 7.

:o

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Meiz wrote:

Well shit, me you and Cango have all expressed an interest in playing, bought the book, and rolled chars. Let's make something of this. K is kind of loathe to DM, but from what I remember WillieD was itching to play, I haven't heard anything from ZeroZero. Let's get this going. We just have to find a GM.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dammit, I want in one.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Meiz wrote:

Well shit, me you and Cango have all expressed an interest in playing, bought the book, and rolled chars. Let's make something of this. K is kind of loathe to DM, but from what I remember WillieD was itching to play, I haven't heard anything from ZeroZero. Let's get this going. We just have to find a GM.

As long as someone gives me a hand completing my char, it's all good.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So, has the when and the how been figured out? It seems that Sundays are the good day this time around, but what communication tech are we using?

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Sunday mornings, 10-11am CST works for me. I want to use Skype, and if we need a live map program, we can use oRPG still.

This Sunday a go?

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sounds like it to me. I don't have any problems with this Sunday.

Seraven on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    This sunday works for me if I can get my hands on a mic. :\

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Should be a go for me. All we need now is the exchanging of skype user account names

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Hey gents,

My Skype account name is the same as here, gredavin. Add me!

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kakos,

Are you still in this game, or are you dropping out? Either way it would be nice to know so I can replace you or make plans for Sunday.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So we're doing it in skype then? What's everyone's skype account names?

Mine's trenog

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Still without a mic, guys. :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yup, Sunday's a go.

I'll say 11 am CST time, like always. We'll see ya then.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    If you guys get this, we're starting an hour earlier

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Alright, guys. Great game.

For next week: if we choose to use Gizmo Project in lieu of Skype, then my account name is PA_Seraven.

Seraven on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Gents,

Does this Saturday work, same time as last week?

Also, I'm all for trying Gizmo, I'll be downloading it this week and giving it a try.

Either way, we'll still boot up oRPG for maps and such. Same server, password etc.

Let me know.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Saturday morning? Sounds fine to me.

Seraven on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Saturday I'm having family over and it's kinda likely my parents are going to drown me in chores. :(

INeedNoSalt on