As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WAR: {Bracket Thread}

DaricDaric Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Social Entropy++
warheader.png

So what is this, somg gay MMORPG?
Yes. This one's based on the world of Warhammer Fantasy by Games Workshop. And No, they did not rip-off World of Warcraft. Warhammer's been around longer than a lot of Blizzard employees have been alive.

What Classes are there to play?
warmatrix.jpg
There's a martix for you to consult. Blanks are classes that have been removed from the game. No official word on when or if they will come back. For more information consult The Warhammer Wiki

WAR is Everywhere
In WAR, there is one universal objective: Zone Control. Zone Control is a see-saw type battle in which all things that players do in the game will ultimately contribute to the overall WAR effort. Everything you do in the game will contribute "Victory Points" for your faction. These can be from Public Quests & Normal Quests to RvR Objectives such as Open World PvP, World Objectives, and Scenarios.

Earning Victory Points will push a Zone Control indicator back and forth between the two sides, if one faction earns a great deal more than the other, zone control will be taken over by that faction.

Realm vs. Realm Combat
Realm vs. Realm Combat (RvR) is the Player vs Player atmosphere that exists in WAR. RvR can be found in 3 players:

Open World, RvR Areas, and Scenarios.

Open World PvP is the incidental pvp that happens in the world, this type of pvp is not fighting over an objective, but mearly running into a pvp-flagged opponent and fighting. This contributes the lowest Victory Points for RvR.

RvR Areas are objective based combat areas that are specifically designed for PvP fighting. The objectives have a PvE aspect about them, requiring you to kill an objective lord (who is impossible to kill solo) in order to capture the objective. In future tiers of game play, RvR areas are the place in the world where Keeps will be fought over, which are massive, city like buildings. Capturing these is the 2nd best way to obtain victory points for your faction.

Scenarios are population controlled games that have very specific rules and objectives. These can be 12v12 capture the flag type matches from 30 v 30 offense/defense type matches. Scenarios have point limits and time limits, allowing victory through either. Winning scenarios gives your faction the greatest number of victory points.

So when does this shit start?
September 18, 2008 is the posted release date and the game has gone gold. If you pre-order the game you can get into the headstart program. You already missed Preview Weekend. Open Beta is expected to re-open shortly before Headstart for pre-order people. You get codes when you pre-order to sign up for these phases.

You can find out more information on the pre-order program here: http://www.warhammeronline.com/preorder/

Update: Open Beta starts on Sunday and runs for a week. Collector's Edition pre-orders get to play the Headstart starting on the 16th and Standard Edition gets to start on the 17th.

So who's all playing this? I'll be playing in the open beta since I missed the preview weekend.
Zzulu wrote: »
oh and hey

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/flash/WAR_cinematic_08.html

put this in the fucking op

all of you watch it

Here's some scenery screenshots for you

CLIK4HUEG

1zbuja8.jpg

mjnyb5.jpg

k7nr6.jpg

20gb334.jpg

2mqqf0w.jpg

dw8m4k.jpg

5n0zte.jpg

nq2zrb.jpg

10x8v4i.jpg

2h7nuqg.jpg

ifs9sl.jpg

2v00tiu.jpg

2lw17vo.jpg

6z63xj.jpg

bita9k.jpg

I should point out that these are all taken at 1680x1050, using the (lower-resolution) beta textures, with 8x AA and 8x AF forced in hardware.

ALRIGHT FUCKERS WAR IS HERE
THIS IS WHAT WE'RE DOING

ORDER - ROLL ON THORGRIM
DESTRUCTION - GOOBLER ON AZAZEL

If playing on Azazel or Thorgrim, type /chan socialentropy

This will set you up in our channel, which you can type in usually by pressing /2.

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
Daric on

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    NO LINKING FROM THIS HOST

Skull Man on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    what is it good for?

the wook on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just got the beta installed last night chaos chosen what what

Weaver on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There, are my pictures fixed?

Daric on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah I'll be playing Destruction with the Goons and I was going to play Order with the Penny Arcade guild but they're a bunch of faggots so I don't know what's up.

Daric on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    gonna try the open beta

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    GOOD GOD YA'LL

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm about to play this right now

Parts of the game are great

other parts are pretty much the same old stuff all over again

but there is enough goodness in there for me to buy it at launch

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I'm probably going to end up with a Sorc or a Magus as my main, and then have a Chosen as an alt. The Chosen's name will be Big Gay Steve and he will only wear pink armor.

Pink dye is expensive though so that's why I need a different main.

Daric on
    edited September 2008
    I will try to rainbow myself

's gonna get expensive so I'll probably do it whenever I level cap

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played this game a little bit before. It was assy.

Is it any better now?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh hey, a Warhammer thread!

I'm totally goin' to be all up ons this myself, goin' Order as an Ironbreaker I think.

Obbi on
    edited September 2008
    Apparently they changed the entire game a while back. It's supposedly all kinds of awesome right now. And from what the Elder players are saying, this 4.1 patch is amazing. I've read the notes but that doesn't really give me a feel for everything.

Daric on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gonna be in TSM and am planning on playing a Greenskin, but I might like a Marauder, too.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2008
    i preordered the collector's edition. imma be playing a witch hunter. i love to sneaky sneak and wear badass hats.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How similar is it to World of Warcraft?

Is this game really treading new ground in a big way or is it essentially the same stuff?

The_Scarab on
  • JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Engineer was pretty fun, but not worth the monthly fee.

I have finally learned my lesson.

Jarofmoldymayo on
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Is this game really treading new ground in a big way or is it essentially the same stuff?

You walk up to monsters, and you take turns kicking each other in the shins till one of you falls over.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ORCS IS BEST

Also probably a chosen of chaos.

I'll be buying it at launch, and quitting wow!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited September 2008

You walk up to monsters, and you take turns kicking each other in the shins till one of you falls over.

I really want to play an MMO but, as this reference implies, they havent changed for a long time.

The Warhammer aesthetic though is cool, and the developers have a nigh impeccable track record. It's just, hopefully the realm versus realm stuff really takes off. Maybe it is best then to wait a bit for things to get settled post launch before getting the game.

The_Scarab on
  • MavianMavian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Combat and interface are pretty similar, in fact they changed the combat right before the end of closed beta to mimic WoW more in fluidity and speed and will probably be changed more to act like it. Lot of the quest styles are similar.

Difference is the Public Quests, which are really neat and the entire game is a big PvP fest. It isn't really treading new ground, but it's polishing existing ideas of PvP. Some of the changes from the Preview Weekend look really good and improve on the issues in it, namely some of the crappy animations and stiff combat.

Also Warrior Priests and Disciples of Khaine are pretty bad ass. So are Witch Elves.

Mavian on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like that they made all their healer classes damage dealers as well.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2008
    ORCS IS BEST

Also probably a chosen of chaos.

I'll be buying it at launch, and quitting wow!

i wanted to make a CHOPPA. :(

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to give this a shot, I will. Christ, I'm going to have to get a job again.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, if I had the money and a computer to run this on, I would totally be a Marauder. I like to maraud.

Mathilda on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Metzger Meister on
    edited September 2008
    It's the standard MMO fantasy formula, but very much focused on PvP

and PvP is fun <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008

I really want to play an MMO but, as this reference implies, they havent changed for a long time.

The Warhammer aesthetic though is cool, and the developers have a nigh impeccable track record. It's just, hopefully the realm versus realm stuff really takes off. Maybe it is best then to wait a bit for things to get settled post launch before getting the game.

I'd say wait and see how it pans out, read between the lines on reviews and that.

The realm VS. Realm stuff I got to do was basically just WoW battlegrounds though.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
    Yes.

A thousand times this

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited September 2008
    oh and hey

all of you watch it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So which faction has Georgia?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • MavianMavian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'd say wait and see how it pans out, read between the lines on reviews and that.

The realm VS. Realm stuff I got to do was basically just WoW battlegrounds though.

RvR gets better around Rank 12 when you get to see Keeps and crap, but it doesn't get really any fun til Tier 3 I've found, when keeps get outer walls.

Mavian on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If there's not a command to make your orc go all like WAAAAGH I will never play this game.

Metzger Meister on
    edited September 2008
    RvR consists of two enourmous masses of players staring eachother down until one side gains the advantage somehow and overruns the other

I think the internet calls it "zerging"

but yeah, keep warfare is a bit more fun.

Now look at that video

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If there's not a command to make your orc go all like WAAAAGH I will never play this game.

There isn't. I was disappointed.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited September 2008
    FAH GORK AN MORK! THE GODS OF CUNNIN' BRUTALITY AN BRU'AL CUNNIN'!

Metzger Meister on
    edited September 2008
    oh and hey

all of you watch it

Interest level : piqued.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    oh and hey

all of you watch it

Interest level : piqued.

Except it paints a very inaccurate picture of Good somehow being superior. This is far from the truth as everyone is Chaos.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited September 2008
    how are they superior

they are getting sacked

wait wait

I've already had this argument with internet people before, nevermind

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    how are they superior

they are getting sacked

wait wait

I've already had this argument with internet people before, nevermind

Because I'm right and you're wrong. Duh.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
This discussion has been closed.