As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join the GTVA Fleet! FREESPACE 2 (56K is hit with friendly fire from the Actium)

• GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I have the launcher set to the 3.6.10 exe, all the beta vps are placed into the mediavp folder, and the launcher pointed to the media vp folder...still no options for normal mapping. I used the links provided in the op.

That Saitek joystick is nice, might order that this evening.

Hmm...it's not under the Graphics options list under the Features tab? I can't really think of anything...but I guess you could try adding "-normal" to the custom flags line (minus the quotations marks) and see if that works out for you.

And yeah, the lack of a FS2 sequel (and the state of the space sim genre) has me sad, but even so, I'm really glad we have the SCP guys doing what they do. Like, really really really really glad. :)

Glocjt on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WHICH 3.6.10 exe? There are about 500 of them, be a little more specific. The recent Trunk builds are the most stable and have normal map support. You might also have to download a Shader VP depending on the Trunk. I have to go see my new nephew, so I can't hunt one down at the moment. Once I get back, perhaps.

MechMantis on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I'm still heartbroken about the fact that the chance for a Freespace sequel is pretty much zero. Hell, the chance that the space sim genre gets a revival is pretty much a hopeless cause..

What about something like Dark Horizon? Or The Tomorrow War?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm still heartbroken about the fact that the chance for a Freespace sequel is pretty much zero. Hell, the chance that the space sim genre gets a revival is pretty much a hopeless cause..

http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/

Bamelin on
  • tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    WHICH 3.6.10 exe? There are about 500 of them, be a little more specific. The recent Trunk builds are the most stable and have normal map support. You might also have to download a Shader VP depending on the Trunk. I have to go see my new nephew, so I can't hunt one down at the moment. Once I get back, perhaps.

The trunk ones linked in the op.

tendoboy101 on
    edited September 2008
    Rev 4758 from chief1983, yes? 'Cause I just ran it and I definitely have normal maps on. Hmm...is it that you don't have the option to check in the launcher, or that there's no normal mapping in-game?

If the former, and assuming you're using version 5.5d of the launcher, I've got no idea.

If the latter, do you have the shaders in your mediavp folder? It's linked in the same thread as the build.

Glocjt on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I need bombing tips. When I go to bomb the Ravana, I get shot down by fighters. When I go to kill the fighters, the Ravana (or my own Cruiser) hits me with a barrage of lasers until I die.

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    Tempests + Subach HL-7 > Basilisks, especially at shorter ranges.
    I also like to have my wingmen start hitting the Ravana first while I engage the Basilisks...and outside of the destroyer's AAA range.

Glocjt on
    edited September 2008
    Glocjt wrote: »
    Rev 4758 from chief1983, yes? 'Cause I just ran it and I definitely have normal maps on. Hmm...is it that you don't have the option to check in the launcher, or that there's no normal mapping in-game?

If the former, and assuming you're using version 5.5d of the launcher, I've got no idea.

If the latter, do you have the shaders in your mediavp folder? It's linked in the same thread as the build.

It isn't in the launcher. And I'm using 5.5d

tendoboy101 on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Space sims exist on the fringes of gamer society....but they exist, and some of them are pretty good. You just gotta....explore a little.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited September 2008

Try adding "-normal" (without quotations) to the custom flags field of the Features tab and see if you get normal maps in game.

And speaking of other sims...I'm so on the verge of getting back into X3. It's quite a different flavor than FS2, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Glocjt on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Glocjt wrote: »

Try adding "-normal" (without quotations) to the custom flags field of the Features tab and see if you get normal maps in game.

And speaking of other sims...I'm so on the verge of getting back into X3. It's quite a different flavor than FS2, but enjoyable nonetheless.

What surprised me about it is the depth of its combat. I mean if you launch missiles while under fire the missiles usually get blowed the fuck up just out of your launch tubes and you probably die.

And you can fly around a capital ship with wingman support. Or be the support to your ai capital ship.

Plus the little things like the drift, strafing, barrel rolling being effective, insta stopping engines, turning and boosting just like freelancer.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    epic game is really epic
    I approve this thread

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008

The trunk ones linked in the op.

WHICH trunk build?! D:

There have been at least 20 3.6.10 trunk builds!

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Ah figured it out. Just deleted it all and redownloaded everything, showed up at the bottom of the list. Not sure what was different, but it is working and sexy now. Going to order that logitech extreme stick soon.

tendoboy101 on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Space sims exist on the fringes of gamer society....but they exist, and some of them are pretty good. You just gotta....explore a little.
    If you are talking about eastern european games, I appreciate the help but I don't think I can stomach yet another russian title where the translation looks like it got jammed through Babelfish with a crowbar.

Silpheed on
    edited September 2008
    I'd honestly advise a Saitek. The lower end Logitechs have some problems after about a year or so. My Attack 3 is really on it's way out.

Never had a problem with a Saitek st--

Wait, I take that back. I had used one so much that the plastic casing eventually fell apart.

But it lasted like... 5 years.

EDIT: Also, guys, get in Vent if you can, let's see if we can get gaem on.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    If you'd be able to live with my horrible skills, I'm in.

DualEdge on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fellas, firstly Firefox approves that as a word? I'm surprised.

Secondly, if I were to buy a joystick from this list http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/673/880/3-/RegionHome.html?ob=rating&searchtype=genre&cpage=1

what would be a good one? I'm not looking to spend a tonne, but some advice would be handy. My views on buying a joystick may also be different, once I've sobered up a little. I would still like to get one for Freespace 2, though.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    I remember this stick was pretty nice. Never really got a chance to play with it for a long time.

This seems like an interesting way to play, but probably very ineffective. It's also really really expensive.

This is another good one. It looks flimsy but it really isn't.

You may note that they are all Saiteks. Logitech's been noted as making low quality sticks lately, so I'd avoid them for now. Thrustmaster may or may not be good, I've never had a Thrustmaster. The Speed-Link sticks might also be good as well, the reviews I saw looked to be pretty nice.

EDIT: I just thought of something. We could use Hamachi. Huuuur.

We now have a Hamachi network! Running on version 1.0.1.5, PAFS2!

If you don't know the password for any PA game/network thing clearly you are not a Penny Arcadian and we don't care about you. :P
    It's wang

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Awesome! And within my price-range too, so thank you good sir!
    Man, I'm now pretty keen to get one and try my hand at multi. I may need to purchase a Battlestar Galactica soundtrack to play in the background.

That or Top Gun.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Awesome! And within my price-range too, so thank you good sir!
    Man, I'm now pretty keen to get one and try my hand at multi. I may need to purchase a Battlestar Galactica soundtrack to play in the background.

That or Top Gun.

Get the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack AND Beyond the Red Line so you can fly a Viper against Cylon Raiders while listening to Battlestar Galactica music!

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    TOO MUCH TO BARE

MUST.. EXPLODE...

I need plywood and paints, I'm building a cockpit right now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    Well someone already beat you to it.

Page 1
    Page 2

:D

MechMantis on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Blargh. I know I have a joystick around somewhere. I hope I didn't throw it out with all my other junk. I recall it used pins, anyone know if there's some sort of cord I could use to plug it into my USB?

Also, those mods are multiplayer, right?

Zandracon on
    edited September 2008
    Inferno and Blue Planet are single player.

Beyond the Red Line, however, is mainly multiplayer. I only have the original FS2 at the moment and don't feel like waiting about 20 hours for BtRL to finish downloading, so I'm only really going to be engaged in vanilla FS2.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Welp then. Downloading. Hopefully get this junk set up. Can't wait to get crushed by you guys.

Zandracon on
    edited September 2008
    I've come to terms with the fact that ramming someone and filling them with rockets and lasers is a valid and hilarious tactic.

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    Well my joystick is now officially dead.

I simply cannot turn right.

DualEdge, use match speed more. You can generally outmaneuver me, so try to use that to your advantage. Also, equalize shields.

But yes we were able to play multiplayer via Hamachi. And it was pretty fun.

EDIT: You should fly the Boanerges then. It's only use is to be used as a ram.

Seriously. It's less maneuverable than the Ursa, has fewer guns than the Ursa, and has a smaller bomb bay. It's USELESS.

Except for as a ram.

EDIT2: It even LOOKS like a ram!
    Boanerges320x240.jpg

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    The best was when I killed your nav systems and you hit me with a torpedo.

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    I actually hit you with a Cyclops?!

I remember you moving before they could hit you you butt.

I don't remember hitting you with one of those giant cylinders of DOOM.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    I distinctly remember you shooting off a blind torpedo and I blindly flew into it like a moron.

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    Those were Harpoons. Can't fire torpedoes without a lock, unfortunately.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Huh. How does I Hamachi?

Zandracon on
    edited September 2008
    Time to update the OP with another guide. It will be up shortly.

EDIT: Alright, OP updated.

MechMantis on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm on the 4th or 5th mission, not counting training. Damn, this is a really cool game.

I was pretty close to a large enemy ship when it blew up, and the blast took down my front shields and knocked my ship off-course. I never expected that level of detail.

Awesome.

Renzo on
    edited September 2008
    Freespace 2 IS level of detail. It's mechwarrior 2 in space.

Morninglord on
    edited September 2008
    Whoa. While I was searching for my joystick I found this.
    _swotl_.jpg
    It had a thick layer of dust over it.

Zandracon on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember this stick was pretty nice. Never really got a chance to play with it for a long time.

This seems like an interesting way to play, but probably very ineffective. It's also really really expensive.

This is another good one. It looks flimsy but it really isn't.

You may note that they are all Saiteks. Logitech's been noted as making low quality sticks lately, so I'd avoid them for now. Thrustmaster may or may not be good, I've never had a Thrustmaster. The Speed-Link sticks might also be good as well, the reviews I saw looked to be pretty nice.

EDIT: I just thought of something. We could use Hamachi. Huuuur.

We now have a Hamachi network! Running on version 1.0.1.5, PAFS2!

If you don't know the password for any PA game/network thing clearly you are not a Penny Arcadian and we don't care about you. :P
    It's wang

I have a flimsy looking one like the one you mentioned. Specifically, the Saitek AV8R-01 and I can certify it can take quite a bit of abuse.

My other joystick is the SFS Suncom Flight controller and throttle. The Suncom is a great system that I've had for a number of years. At one point I had all the buttons programmed so I never had to move my hands while playing Tie Fighter or X-Wing. Unfortunately, I could never get the system to work on XP, so it stays on my Win98 computer, and the Saitek is on the XP machine.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Whoa. While I was searching for my joystick I found this.
    _swotl_.jpg
    It had a thick layer of dust over it.

I never actually played it, but for some reason I do own it. I'm holding the manual in front of me right now and it looks really cool. At the back, they have complete operating statistics for the Messerschmitt, the Focke-Wulf, the Thunderbolt, the Mustang, the Flying Fortress, the Lightning, the Pfeil, and even some of the experimental turbojet fighters (which I guess gives it its name). They even modeled the cockpits, and all the gauges and buttons actually do something!

Is this game any good? It might be the awesomest World War II combat flight simulator I've never played.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg