As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join the GTVA Fleet! FREESPACE 2 (56K is hit with friendly fire from the Actium)

• darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    Fuck the mission where you're supposed to bomb the turrets of the Sathanas. That mission right there made me stop playing Freespace 2 because I have no fucking idea how I'm supposed to get a lock on a turret and get close to it whilst evading flak fire and screening fighters.

You have to order your wingmates in first to just generally get killed, wait for a lock and then rush in and dual-fire your bombs at each beam cannon. Make sure you do it as you're directly facing the Sathanas, or the cannons will take way less damage and you'll have to do additional re-arm sequences.

Good advice. I've been itching for a good excuse to get back into the game, and I'm gonna try this now.

Remember that you don't actually have to destroy all of the cannons to complete the mission - the mission that follows immediately after gives you another chance to finish the job.

Oh.

Oh.

Nobody told me that. Command was just so accusative with the "you failed this mission pilots" speech that I assumed that there really was no alternative but to restart the mission.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys.

Until further notice, 3.6.10 EXEs are FUBAR'd for multiplayer. DO NOT USE .10 EXES UNTIL THEY'VE SAID IT'S OKAY.

You can use the .10 VPs with the .9 EXEs, though. Not quite as pretty, but still.

EDIT:
    And you NEED to disable at least two beam cannons.

Also let's keep spoilers in check, people. There are a lot of people who haven't played the game.

MechMantis on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone tried the game with the Xbox 360 controller? I haven't had a joystick lying around since FS2 and that was about 9 years ago :(

What about GOG, does that version work with mods? I don't think I'll be able to find my disc copy....

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The GOG version works the FS2 open mode, I have not tried any others yet.

JohnDoe on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh.

Oh.

Nobody told me that. Command was just so accusative with the "you failed this mission pilots" speech that I assumed that there really was no alternative but to restart the mission.
    Developers of that era played some fun games with the crowd that (even back then) were addicted to reloading. See Planescape: Torment.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Oh.

Oh.

Developers of that era played some fun games with the crowd that (even back then) were addicted to reloading. See Planescape: Torment.

I never savescummed PS:T; what happens?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did anyone ever play this online?

My login name was RN-Scarab. Won two or three seasons of SquadWar in that game.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MechMantis, thank you for this thread. I've got all the new-fangled jiggery-pokery stuff installed and the game looks great. My only problem now is that the pad I used to play FS2 with, my beloved Gravis Xterminator Digital, has gone to the great joystick port in the sky. Microsoft has done something stupid with Vista that doesn't let me use my GameCube pad converter anymore, so I went ahead and bought a 360 pad. Only, it won't let me use the right and left axis on the right analogue stick, so I have to play somewhat crippled... but only for a few days. I just went ahead and ordered a Thrustmaster Dual Trigger pad.

JUST FOR THIS GAME.

Totally worth it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rohan wrote: »
    MechMantis, thank you for this thread. I've got all the new-fangled jiggery-pokery stuff installed and the game looks great. My only problem now is that the pad I used to play FS2 with, my beloved Gravis Xterminator Digital, has gone to the great joystick port in the sky. Microsoft has done something stupid with Vista that doesn't let me use my GameCube pad converter anymore, so I went ahead and bought a 360 pad. Only, it won't let me use the right and left axis on the right analogue stick, so I have to play somewhat crippled... but only for a few days. I just went ahead and ordered a Thrustmaster Dual Trigger pad.

JUST FOR THIS GAME.

Totally worth it.

technology_040a_001.jpg

You need one of these, dude.

Brolo on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Right now I'm at school, and playing with a Joystick, ehh well. Let's just say I catch enough crap from my friends that I brought my desktop along with me.

Is a 360 pad viable at all?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited December 2008
    One of the few upsides of living with 5 nerds is that far from laughing at my joystick, people bug me to play coop Freespace with them.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh.

Oh.

There were sections where you had to die in order to progress.

As far as FS2 goes, remember that if you lose a mission a certain number of times, the game will give you an option to skip it.

Phoenix-D on
    edited December 2008

JUST FOR THIS GAME.

Totally worth it.

You're welcome.

I've heard tell that gamepads are inferior to joysticks from most FS2 vets, but hey. It works for you. I don't see myself using one, but if you can pull it off, that's pretty awesome.

And as for other questions:

The SCP and associated mods WILL work with the GOG version of the game. Because it's exactly like the retail. Only offered online.

People DID play it online, and we CAN play it online. See the OP for details. Honestly, the Hamachi is about 10k times easier to deal with, so just use that, unless you want to play with the other guys. And they're pretty cool dudes, so it might be worth it.

MechMantis on
    edited December 2008

JUST FOR THIS GAME.

Totally worth it.

technology_040a_001.jpg

You need one of these, dude.

For some reason, I've never been able to play space combat games like Freespace, X-Wing Alliance and the X games with a proper joystick. I can't roll fast enough or anything... the only game that sees use out of my joystick is FSX. I remember when I first got my Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS and I played a few multiplayer games of X-Wing Alliance against a friend, and got totally and utterly annihilated. Back to the gamepad - and hey, presto! I was a force to be reckoned with again. Don't ask me why, I just prefer the gamepads for these games.
    Is a 360 pad viable at all?

No. Well, kinda. There is a bug either in the driver code supplied by Microsoft, or in the hardware itself where games like FS2 and X-Wing Alliance are unable to use the right analogue stick. FS2 sees it and recognises the X and Y axis of the stick in the control setup, but it won't work in the game. The only axis it uses is the vertical one (can never remember which is which - is it the Y axis?). It refuses point blank to use the axis that makes sense. Apparently the XBCD drivers help, but all they did on my pc was install another Xbox 360 pad with a larger amount of axis, and refused to acknowledge my actual pad at all. Pressing buttons and pushing the analogue sticks did nothing with this new XBCD 360 pad that Vista was reporting.

I've also tried using programs like ControlMK and Joytokey, but I can't figure those stupid programs at all. Other than the right analogue stick buggering up, it works just fine in FS2. But X-Wing Alliance doesn't let you remap the controls for the analogue sticks anyway, so that meant the pad was out for me :x

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

edited December 2008
    Well I'm going to attempt to do what I did for MW4 and make an Xpadder profile for FS2. I'm a little afraid of what FS2 is going to offer, since the last "flight sim" I played was Star Wars:TIE Fighter when I was 8.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Well I'm going to attempt to do what I did for MW4 and make an Xpadder profile for FS2. I'm a little afraid of what FS2 is going to offer, since the last "flight sim" I played was Star Wars:TIE Fighter when I was 8.

I tried Xpadder as well. When I double-clicked on it, it said it needed to download components from the 'net to install. So I clicked yes. Xpadder completely disappeared off my system and whenever I try to open it now, all it does is give me an error. You can imagine what kind of frustrating evening I was having yesterday.

Rohan on

edited December 2008

I tried Xpadder as well. When I double-clicked on it, it said it needed to download components from the 'net to install. So I clicked yes. Xpadder completely disappeared off my system and whenever I try to open it now, all it does is give me an error. You can imagine what kind of frustrating evening I was having yesterday.

Hmm try downloading the version from softpedia or any other website other than the xpadder site. Apparently development has stopped, and from the looks of it, the xpadder site looks suspect at best.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited December 2008

Hmm try downloading the version from softpedia or any other website other than the xpadder site. Apparently development has stopped, and from the looks of it, the xpadder site looks suspect at best.

I'll try that, thanks.

Edit - Oops! Got it working, thanks!

Rohan on

• DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are jump nodes supposed to be green wireframes?

DualEdge on
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Are jump nodes supposed to be green wireframes?

Yeah, they're just projected there by your HUD.

Brolo on
    edited December 2008
    After gawking at the seemingly endless list of bindings in FS2 for 5 minutes, it took me a little over an hour to distill it all down to fit on the 360 controller. Basically pitch/yaw is relegated to the left stick, while banking to the right. I haven't found a decent function for up/down on the right stick. Mapping accel and decel didn't work to well as enthusiastic barrel rolling led to wonky speed control. The A button is used for a modifier shift key, because I found it impossible to map every essential command to the pad without one. Primary fire is RT while primary select is bound to RB, while secondary is the same on the left side. X accelerates, while A+X sets it to full, B decelerates while A+B sets it to zero, and Y is afterburner. Clicking the left stick sets speed to follow Targeting functions are mapped to the D-pad.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited December 2008
    After gawking at the seemingly endless list of bindings in FS2 for 5 minutes, it took me a little over an hour to distill it all down to fit on the 360 controller. Basically pitch/yaw is relegated to the left stick, while banking to the right. I haven't found a decent function for up/down on the right stick. Mapping accel and decel didn't work to well as enthusiastic barrel rolling led to wonky speed control. The A button is used for a modifier shift key, because I found it impossible to map every essential command to the pad without one. Primary fire is RT while primary select is bound to RB, while secondary is the same on the left side. X accelerates, while A+X sets it to full, B decelerates while A+B sets it to zero, and Y is afterburner. Clicking the left stick sets speed to follow Targeting functions are mapped to the D-pad.

I have mine setup very differently... on mine, pitch and yaw is on the left analogue stick, while bank left and right is on the right stick. Relative throttle is set to the analogue triggers - the speed is always a constant 30% or so unless I either dial back with left trigger, or accelerate with the right trigger. A is fire main weapon, X is fire secondary weapon, B is target nearest hostile, and Y is target object in reticle. Start is launch countermeasures, right digital trigger is afterburner and left trigger is target objective craft. This system works well enough for me... I might assign communications to Back, but that's it otherwise, all done and yay and stuff.

Rohan on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xbox controller? People, the only Microsoft input hardware that are appropriate for this game all start with "Sidewinder". Gamepads, pshaw!

(Yeah, I guess this is another reason why these types of game aren't popular anymore: 26 different bindings just for targeting? Wow, okay.)

Zxerol on
    edited December 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Xbox controller? People, the only Microsoft input hardware that are appropriate for this game all start with "Sidewinder". Gamepads, pshaw!

(Yeah, I guess this is another reason why these types of game aren't popular anymore: 26 different bindings just for targeting? Wow, okay.)

I think that's kinda the fun part. I like the fact that you have to sub-space jump yourself in FS2. The fact that you can hit a button, and it's not context sensitive, only furthers the immersion.

Now only if I had a Steel Battalion controller....

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I beat FS2 back when the SCP offered it as a download. It was over before I blinked an eye, and would love to play it again. I might have to suck it up and buy it, but I don't really see a reason. Does it support anyone but the people selling it right now?

I really loved how realistic and epic the game felt. Having to sacrifice my wingmen felt like such a dick move sometime, but then I'd swoop in and wipe out a beam turret, saving countless more lives. Hell yeah! Best damn space shooter. Ever.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It helps shows that theres a market for space sim games.

JohnDoe on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just beat the main campaign, final missions were pretty epic. Not many games nowadays just stick you up against an unbeatable force and have you retreat. Usually it's all about your badass soldier beating the odds.

Downloading all the extra campaigns you can get with the FS2 open installer, any recommendations besides the FS1 campaign remake?

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
    edited December 2008
    Yes. That is your HUD notifying you of an invisible natural phenomenon.
    They say something to that effect in one of the tutorial missions, I don't recall which. Might be from FS1.

I haven't played the tutorial missions inso long. Which has the added side effect of my character lacking his pilot's wings.

EDIT: Blue Planet's fun, although a bit strange. Also a tad buggy.

EDIT2: Holy fucking christ was I looking at the last page and thinking it was the current one? Fuuuck I'm tired.

MechMantis on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just beat the main campaign, final missions were pretty epic. Not many games nowadays just stick you up against an unbeatable force and have you retreat. Usually it's all about your badass soldier beating the odds.

Downloading all the extra campaigns you can get with the FS2 open installer, any recommendations besides the FS1 campaign remake?

Derelict, Warzone pretty much.

BlackDove on
    edited December 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

Derelict, Warzone pretty much.

If you're playing Derelict, you might want to get the version without the voice acting. It's okay at times and really, really bad at others.

Brolo on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh.

Oh.

I meant that you didn't have to reload there either, because you just come back to life!

Tim James on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, don't see how the developers played any games with savescummers. But yeah that was a fun bit. It felt kind of liberating to just die whenever.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, apparently I'm an idiot cause I can't make sense of the OP, but can someone please verify if I need the original Freespace 2 game (Such as buying it off GOG) to install and play the open source beautification of it?

Also, you guys are talking about using a 360 game pad, does anyone know if the 360 Ace Edge joystick (from Ace Combat 6) works well with the game (only other PC flight sim I tried it on wouldn't recognize most of the throttle portion)?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited December 2008
    You DO need the original game.

DO.

GOG will work.

MechMantis on
    edited December 2008
    Ok, thanks.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited December 2008
    Am I supposed to get an error when I run the launcher.exe (step the fifth) stating that "OpenAL32.dll" was not found? Followed by another error stating "Fatal Error: Failed to read flag file". And then the launcher seems to open.

I am assuming not, since the features tab has no features in the drop down menus.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    IIRC all you gotta do is install OpenAL. Googling it would work I think. Been a long time.

BlackDove on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have been desperate to see the conclusion to this story for nearly a decade, surely someone somewhere must have written it down! I mean, perhaps they can't make a game, but surely they could release a book, or just put the plot summary on the internet, I must know what happened to the ancients, who are the Shivans!

edit - And for the person who said this was the best space sim ever, they were wrong, FS2 is the best game ever made. Nothing has ever come close to the sheer excitement of desperately trying to save the day as enormous fusion beams destroyed everything and your force feedback pro threw you about like a rag doll.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited December 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I have been desperate to see the conclusion to this story for nearly a decade, surely someone somewhere must have written it down! I mean, perhaps they can't make a game, but surely they could release a book, or just put the plot summary on the internet, I must know what happened to the ancients, who are the Shivans!

edit - And for the person who said this was the best space sim ever, they were wrong, FS2 is the best game ever made. Nothing has ever come close to the sheer excitement of desperately trying to save the day as enormous fusion beams destroyed everything and your force feedback pro threw you about like a rag doll.

I wouldn't call it the best game ever made... but it's definitely very high on the list. In the same vein of game, I also love X-Wing Alliance. I've missed these old games! Wish we could get some updates on these two at least :/

Rohan on

• Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK I have a problem here...

Soooo, I finally decide I want to install this again and fly around in space fighters blowing up stuff, BUT! The autoplay won't go. I get in it in, my virus blocker comes up asking to cancel or allow, and I hit allow, but then nothing happens.

Can anyone out there help me out?!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.