As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join the GTVA Fleet! FREESPACE 2 (56K is hit with friendly fire from the Actium)

12345679»

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    OK I have a problem here...

Soooo, I finally decide I want to install this again and fly around in space fighters blowing up stuff, BUT! The autoplay won't go. I get in it in, my virus blocker comes up asking to cancel or allow, and I hit allow, but then nothing happens.

Can anyone out there help me out?!

Try disabling your anti-virus during the install. Failing that you ought to be able to find the installer on the disc without having to go through the autorun stuff.

subedii on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I have been desperate to see the conclusion to this story for nearly a decade, surely someone somewhere must have written it down! I mean, perhaps they can't make a game, but surely they could release a book, or just put the plot summary on the internet, I must know what happened to the ancients, who are the Shivans!

edit - And for the person who said this was the best space sim ever, they were wrong, FS2 is the best game ever made. Nothing has ever come close to the sheer excitement of desperately trying to save the day as enormous fusion beams destroyed everything and your force feedback pro threw you about like a rag doll.

I wouldn't call it the best game ever made... but it's definitely very high on the list. In the same vein of game, I also love X-Wing Alliance. I've missed these old games! Wish we could get some updates on these two at least :/
    I'd call it the best space shooter ever made, and this is coming from an avid Wing Commander lover.

Silpheed on
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Soooo, I finally decide I want to install this again and fly around in space fighters blowing up stuff, BUT! The autoplay won't go. I get in it in, my virus blocker comes up asking to cancel or allow, and I hit allow, but then nothing happens.

Try disabling your anti-virus during the install. Failing that you ought to be able to find the installer on the disc without having to go through the autorun stuff.

Tried that. It just starts to load like it's going to begin the installer, than it just stops.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    edited January 2009

Tried that. It just starts to load like it's going to begin the installer, than it just stops.

Are you running Vista? Have you tried running it as Admin?

If that doesn't work only thing I can think of is to get the game again off of GOG.com.

subedii on
    edited January 2009

If that doesn't work only thing I can think of is to get the game again off of GOG.com.

I am on vista, and it is under the admind. I don't know what the problem is, blah.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    edited January 2009

I am on vista, and it is under the admind. I don't know what the problem is, blah.

Best place to ask technical queries I guess would be the forums over at Hard Light Productions, they've been the Freespace community for the past decade now. They would know if it's a common problem and whether there's a fix.

http://www.hard-light.net/

subedii on
    edited January 2009
    Ok from what I can tell I've installed the freespace project stuff properly, got the launcher, the exe stuff in my FS2 folder, I got some mediavps and put them in their own folder in the freespace 2 directory, but I have no clue what I'm doing now.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    edited January 2009
    UPDATE!

Ok, So I just got the installer and have had that running for the past couple hours, suprised at how long it's taking, I really want to jump in and play through with the new graphics!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i grabbed the game cheap off of gog.com then installed the fscp stuff and it all seemed to work fine.

are there any space fighting sims that control similar to how the ships fight in battlestar galactica? i know there is a BSG mod for fs2 but it seems a little dead at the moment.

krylon666 on
    edited January 2009
    Ok.

So I never could get everything to work properly, I kept getting an error and never could see the game with pretty graphics.

So i beat it in the oldschool graphics and loved every second of it. I then uninstalled everything, and am re-installing as we speak.

I REALLY need help getting everything so I can play with new graphics and with online play!

PLEASE HELP!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    edited January 2009
    OK.

I tried the open installer again. And estimation how long it should take?

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    edited January 2009
    OK.

I tried the open installer again. And estimation how long it should take?

It's a good few gigs of data if I remember correctly, so it largely depends on your connection.

subedii on
    edited February 2009
    Ok, I've seemed to be able to play after I finished in the install. However, I can only seem to play on the debug EXE's for some reason, and my FS2 has stopped working everytime I've tried playing the first nebula level.

Additionally, I really want to play some multiplayer, how do I do that again?

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn, I wish FS3 was coming down the pipe.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited February 2009
    delroland wrote: »

Closest relation (apart from the mods) that I can find so far is an in progress multiplayer-only game called Naumachia:

http://naumachia.aureasection.com/

subedii on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    delroland wrote: »

Closest relation (apart from the mods) that I can find so far is an in progress multiplayer-only game called Naumachia:

http://naumachia.aureasection.com/

Wow, this is both awesome and something I have not once heard of. You definitely get a Tycho Medal of Honor. The same guys behind TS? I'm already sold.

TychoCelchuuu on