As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nalgene funkiness

SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I carry a Nalgene bottle with me everywhere, and refill it 3 or so times a day, as I get dehydrated pretty easily. I only got it recently, before this I had to walk back and forth to the kitchen all the time. I use it only for water, and wash it every few days or so. More and more frequently, it's developing a funky odor. What do I need to do to prevent this? Do I just need to wash it more often, or using a specific cleanser? As it is I'm just using dish soap.

SlickShughes on

• Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want to say I have heard something about washing it making it smell.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    AthlantarAthlantar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had this exact same issue while traveling in Mexico. You need to let that sucker air out. No matter how badly you wash it, even with bleach, it will keep that smell if you dont let it air out. I'd grab another bottle or two, and switch them up every day or so. I figure all that contact with lips lets germs live on the cap part of it. Possibly not the right scientific explanation, but this solution worked for me.

Athlantar on
    10088847214381951643320470475858305731166183151407164751271470824235003318621252307969752086088076499395823874814123350292603347408732347765156628342107995
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Athlantar wrote: »
    I figure all that contact with lips lets germs live on the cap part of it. Possibly not the right scientific explanation, but this solution worked for me.

I had the same thought, so I've always been diligent about cleaning the lid/lip. I'll try airing it out though, that sounds right-ish.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    SpankyMobsterSpankyMobster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In addition to airing it out, also try rinsing it with hot soapy water and lemon juice. Worked for moi.

SpankyMobster on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The thing that worked really well for me was to quarter a lemon and put one slice in my Nalgene at the beginning of the day. The water tastes better all day, and it prevents the funk. Just make sure you get a new wedge every day.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't want to be the guy who's telling you that you need to go out and buy buy buy, but I've found that aluminum-based water bottles (like a Sigg) are in general much less prone to odors than plastic ones like Nalgenes (plus they're better for the environment, etc).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I don't want to be the guy who's telling you that you need to go out and buy buy buy, but I've found that aluminum-based water bottles (like a Sigg) are in general much less prone to odors than plastic ones like Nalgenes (plus they're better for the environment, etc).

I second this.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Try a nalgene cleaning product like these tablets.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought it was the lid/rim to lip contact that might cause it. I think it is in part. But it's important to air it out like Athlantar said. I usually carried 1L of water with me to work/school everyday and by the end of the day, even if I drank all the water, if it was sealed up and I opened it up when I got home, it'd have a funny polycarbon smell to it that was kind of damp. So whenever I finished the water, like on the way home, I'd open up the lid and leave it uncapped overnight and the next morning it'd be fine.

However, I still washed it regulary. once every few days, pour a bit of liquid dish detergent in and scrub it out.

As for the lemon thing? It worked for a couple days, but for some reason, I noticed that shit would collect/grow at the bottom of my nalgene. It only happened once but it kind of freaked me out so I stopped throwing lemon/lime wedges into my water regularly. Plus after the first liter was downed and I refilled it, it wasn't quite as zesty.

Arminas on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, replacing a perfectly good drinking container is really good for the environment.

Warm water and bleach works well. I'm sure you know that you shouldn't use hot water with nalgenes. Wash it out thoroughly, and let it air out.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isn't the plastic in these things pretty bad for you now?

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008

They fixed that, or so I'm told. I've got one of the new ones.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    AthlantarAthlantar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The problem your talking about is if your doing something retarded, like pouring boiling water into the nalgene and then freezing the bottle, then giving the water to a baby.

Athlantar on
    10088847214381951643320470475858305731166183151407164751271470824235003318621252307969752086088076499395823874814123350292603347408732347765156628342107995
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Athlantar wrote: »

The problem your talking about is if your doing something retarded, like pouring boiling water into the nalgene and then freezing the bottle, then giving the water to a baby.

Bisphenol A, found in type 3 and some type 7 plastics, can leach when cleaned with harsh detergents or when very acidic or hot temperatures are stored within. The concern is that long term low dose exposure may induce chronic toxicity.

Nalgene bottles are well known for being type 5 (most nowadays?) so I don't think that's a problem here.

Unless there's something new to worry about.

Tal on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You could also try some bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) if you don't have any lemons hanging about.

Edilith on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just use standard dish soap and water to clean mine; I generally let it soak for an hour or so.

This leaves a little bit of a soapy smell, but it goes away relatively quickly.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess I will piggyback in here. I've been interested in getting a waterfilter for quite sometime. Any preferences? Brita the standard and does it work well or should I look elsewhere?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess I will piggyback in here. I've been interested in getting a waterfilter for quite sometime. Any preferences? Brita the standard and does it work well or should I look elsewhere?

I had a Pur at home but when I moved to school got a Brita. I can't tell the difference.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »

I had a Pur at home but when I moved to school got a Brita. I can't tell the difference.

but both provide a large difference between it and the normal tap?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    About the waterfilter, We use brita pitcher (I haven't tried anything else by brita, like the faucet mount), but it's very cumbersome. It works, though. The water tastes great. I imagine the faucet mount would be more practical.

Hobbit0815 on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tal wrote: »
    Nalgene bottles are well known for being type 5 (most nowadays?) so I don't think that's a problem here.

I don't know when they switched, but both of my bottles are type 7 and they're not that old. I still drink out of them, though.

I've had a Brita pitcher for a long time and it works fine, but I find if funky tasting tap water is the only problem, a couple drops of lemon or lime juice solves the problem far more cheaply.

Fats on