As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

40k Action game: "Space Marine"

-SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
So there was some rumours recently that THQ is working on a melee heavy action game set in the Warhammer 40k universe. Turns out they were correct, and the game is called "Warhammer 40k: Space Marine" a 3rd person action game where you play a, wait for it, Space Marine.

And here's the developer walkthrough that came out of nowhere.
edit- Video was pulled by THQ.

Looks interesting for something so early. Keeping my eye on this one.

-SPI- on

• MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I found out about this a little while ago and watched the video. I noticed something that the guy talking says that seemed really interesting. Basically he said that Space Marine isn't going to be like Dawn of War or the Warhammer 40k MMO which had a 'god-like', 'command your troops', style to them. Does that mean the Warhammer 40k MMO is going to be an MMORTS?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So this is sort of what they did from that one game, "Firehammer" was it? where you were a tau warrior trying to get one of your queens back?

edit: my bad, it was called "Fire Warrior"

RoyceSraphim on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man when I read that title I was on the edge of my seat.
    What I'm trying to say is the title is about as boring as it gets. Seriously.

Now excuse me while I work on my state-of-the-art FPS, "Shoot"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well...on the bright side, it can't be worse than fire warrior right?....right?!

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked Fire Warrior. :(

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well...on the bright side, it can't be worse than fire warrior right?....right?!

It has about the same creative and original titling as FireWarrior, at least.

Zxerol on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What is that he's shooting, a giant BB gun? Sure as hell not a Bolt rifle.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited September 2008
    Well, just imagine a Warhammer 40k fps on the Crysis engine and let all the blood rush to your loins and leave you deaf and dumb to what is about to come.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited September 2008
    What is that he's shooting, a giant BB gun? Sure as hell not a Bolt rifle.

Yeah. That was one problem I had with it. I don't mind the machine-gun version of the Bolter. In fact, that's the one that I'd always had in my mind before Dawn of War. The problem is that it doesn't have enough sound to it. It isn't loud enough.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited September 2008
    Youtube let me know that the ending cinematic was a little awesome seeing that planet get exterminatus

RoyceSraphim on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love the amount of buzzwords this guy uses.

intimate brutality
    Cinemaction
    "Ballet of death"

And yeah, the boltgun seems a bit "klobby" at the moment. Eh, it's early. The city environment looks pretty impressive though.

The punching minigame seems a bit... odd. That's being kind to them too.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The punching minigame seems a bit... odd. That's being kind to them too.

In all the artwork I've seen for 40k, I've never seen a Space Marine pummel someone.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WE CALL THIS INTIMATE BRUTALITY! CINEMACTION! SCOPE OF WAR! And more terms describing basic things.

The environments looked nice, but other than that, nothing really stood out. Even the kills weren't that impressive, because they just clip through the model and don't do anything especially CINEMACTIONY. Early build and all, of course, yet I wouldn't be surprised if that's the extent of the violence depicted.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It "looks" great. But they're gonna need a lot of animations and fighting game combos to make it fun.
    It reminded me of Ninja Gaiden. . . In Space Marine form. It's early but unless you have the option of making various combos, killing blows it will be boring.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Very awesome in my opinion, though a lot of that might just be the fact that I have basically wanted "this game" to come out for a long time. However like everyone else has said, I'll chalk most of the oddities to an early build (Chaos marines, especially ones that look like they might be Khorne, wouldn't just stand there shooting at you from 10 feet away)

Also, stabbing with a chainsword looks just as awkward and wrong as I'd always imagined it would

Frosty on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Could be good but I think it's too early to tell.

This really isn't the kind of video you want to be showing on the internet though. More of the kind of thing you just show people behind closed doors and let them talk about it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My first thought watching the video? "Gears of Warhammer"

With that said the combat system is obviously melee based ... combo's ending in Gears style execution moves?

Actually in a way the combat system in the video also reminds me abit of Heavenly Sword. That's not a bad thing.

Bamelin on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This looks like it could be good, but 3 questions.

What use is the over kill system? Can't you stun them and insta-kill em anyway?
    How powerful will the bolter be and will it be viable as an alternative to mellee combat? It will get boring to have the shooting only as a means to close into mellee range.
    And will we take part in any huge battles? Like on the scope of an RTS warhammer match.

I'm worried, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

gunwarrior on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate, hate Gears of War-style "Cinemaction". If I want to watch a movie of someone killing a dude, I'll watch a movie. I want to do it, goddamnit.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fits the 40k universe better than a fucking mmo, at least.

Firewarrior was worth playing just to see the 40k guns in an FPS, even if it was mediocre through and through.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And yeah, the boltgun seems a bit "klobby" at the moment. Eh, it's early. The city environment looks pretty impressive though.

....Poor Klobb. You never get any breaks.

Anyway. This looks really awesome and I'd definitely give it a shot. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Someone should hire the team that did CoD4 and tell them to make an awesome 40k FPS with a strong focus towards multi player.

noobert on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Definitely keeping my eye on this. Shame the internet's seemed to discover the site though- it's down at the mo.

EddieDean on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rhe Bolter needs a bit more kick, and to throw back enemies properly. Throw them back in pieces, probably.

And the combat just seems awkward. Early build, I guess, but Halo 3 and Gears managed to have better melee combat, and they're mostly about shooting!

ben0207 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Could be good but I think it's too early to tell.

This really isn't the kind of video you want to be showing on the internet though. More of the kind of thing you just show people behind closed doors and let them talk about it.

Those were my thoughts as well.

Looking at what they showed, it could be interesting, but the combat mechanics they showed, not to mention the "Gears of" style camera didn't really seem to fit all that well, it just seemed as if they were trying to imitate other actioners instead of going with the heavy and just plain momentum based combat of the univserse. I did like the running attack on the Guardsmen though, that looked cool. But the rest just looked like the standard "A A A, A A" combo style combat, no matter how many buzzwords about cinemaction they try to dress it up in.

But yeah, way too early to tell, and I don't think they should've even been showing it publicly yet.

subedii on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    I just smirked at all the "we call this Silly Buzzword" moments.

Echo on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, having seen that trailer walkthrough, I will definitely get this game.

It looks basic, and a little mindless, but damn entertaining. And plus, I love the setting. The epic gothicness of the whole thing looks fantastic.

EddieDean on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

....Poor Klobb. You never get any breaks.

Anyway. This looks really awesome and I'd definitely give it a shot. :D

Haha, klobb. It's become the ultimate byword for shitty guns. If you had one, enemies could look forward to some seriously painful bruises.... Possibly even a dead arm/leg type situation.

If you had two klobbs you could chip a tooth.

i can't watch the video at the mo. I love developer buzzwords though.

"We call these our 'dynamic cinematic moments'." So its a QTE. Basically. And maybe the camera will pan around something in slow motion.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's early, but promising. It reminds me a lot of Viking: Battle For Asgard (which is totally awesome and underrated, by the way), and if it has non-linearity and huge armies as well, it'll likely kick a lot of mutant ass.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They might just have sequels/expansions planned with a name like this

WH40K: Space Marine

WH40K: Eldar

WH40K: Imperial Guard

WH40K: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been saying since well before Gears or War released that it was the best 40k game around.

Someone needs to make exactly it with a 40k skin, which is exactly what I was hoping this was. Still looks interesting.

Also why is the marine alone? They kinda don't really get to do that.

And change the title to Warhammer 40k: Death Watch for Christ's sakes. Then you get marines who don't have to answer to their specific chapters and you could have characters representing all the chapters people will want.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    "We call these our 'dynamic cinematic moments'." So its a QTE. Basically. And maybe the camera will pan around something in slow motion.

I think they're more like the kills in Assassin's Creed where once you've done the right setup to do the move, it'll cut the camera angle to something better looking. If they can manage the same number of take downs that game had, then it should work pretty well.

Rook on
    edited September 2008
    I've been saying since well before Gears or War released that it was the best 40k game around.

Someone needs to make exactly it with a 40k skin, which is exactly what I was hoping this was. Still looks interesting.

Also why is the marine alone? They kinda don't really get to do that.

And change the title to Warhammer 40k: Death Watch for Christ's sakes. Then you get marines who don't have to answer to their specific chapters and you could have characters representing all the chapters people will want.

Well he woke up dazed in a ruin

so yeah, that's why he's alone. His squad is either destroyed or MIA

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Frosty wrote: »
    Very awesome in my opinion, though a lot of that might just be the fact that I have basically wanted "this game" to come out for a long time. However like everyone else has said, I'll chalk most of the oddities to an early build (Chaos marines, especially ones that look like they might be Khorne, wouldn't just stand there shooting at you from 10 feet away)

Also, stabbing with a chainsword looks just as awkward and wrong as I'd always imagined it would

You aren't meant to thrust with a chainsword - it's a slashing weapon according to the books.

There was a thing in Gaunt's Ghosts about it.

I do love the idea of running around killing hordes of things as a genetically engineered super-human though.

Arasaki on
    edited September 2008
    there better be powerfists and hammers in this game

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's weird, I never considered marines to be implicitly close combat oriented. On the tabletop they do at least half of their work with shooting.

This is more like playing an Ork in power armor.

Also, why did the chaos marines jump off a thunderhawk? Boooo.

Ein on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks interesting, even at this early stage, but if you have to go to a cinematic for every killing blow, that'll get old fast.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Looks interesting, even at this early stage, but if you have to go to a cinematic for every killing blow, that'll get old fast.

He got a few kills without cinematics

I think the cinematics are only for the combo-kills, which the narrator of the video seemed to just love to do

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Not to mention concluding each cinematic seemed a bit clunky. Seems to me that in a melee close combat, you wouldn't finish off your enemy and then take a few steps back, plant both feet on the ground, and wait for a second or two for effect before continuing while surrounded by enemies. You'd plow right on through one guy and into the other six.

Ein on
    edited September 2008
    Ein wrote: »

Not to mention concluding each cinematic seemed a bit clunky. Seems to me that in a melee close combat, you wouldn't finish off your enemy and then take a few steps back, plant both feet on the ground, and wait for a second or two for effect before continuing while surrounded by enemies. You'd plow right on through one guy and into the other six.

It reminds me of assassins creed

I've only played a few hours of it, but I constantly could run up to guards, get a combo kill on one (where I take my time to plunge my blade into his back and then get off him while his guardfriends are pretty much just standing there)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg