As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is the Army ROTC right for me?

Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This question is directed at those who have gone through the Army's Reserve Officers' Training Corps program.

I am a freshmen attending the Colorado School of Mines. I'm a bit young for my grade; I'll be turning 17 in 20 days. I've had a strong desire to join the military for two good years. The overall challenge and growth and experience that seems to come out of an experience is what attracts me.

The fall of my senior year I attempted to apply to the Air Force Academy, but was turned down due to my age. Now I'm going to a college I really like and pursuing a degree in a field that interests me--mechanical engineering.

Three days ago I was running and I ran past Mines' ROTC cadre, and it struck me that ROTC may be the way to go. I can still get my degree in mechanical engineering, and then join the military.

That was a lot of background information. My main question is this:

I graduate with my degree in mechanical engineering. I serve in the Army for four to eight years. What happens to the value of my degree? Will I still be able to land a good job in the mechanical engineering field? I understand that leadership and discipline are wonderful connotations that go along with having "Army" on one's resume, but the most closely related division to mechanical engineering the Army offers is the Corp of Engineers, which focuses on civil engineering problems, a few scales above where I'm studying.

Will my four to five years studying mech. e. be for naught once I go through the military machine?

Golden Leg on

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not at all. The Army will send you to several schools which are accredited. You'll be at LEAST on par with your peers in your age group if not FAR ahead.

<-- Air Force CE guy

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i was enlisted army, so i don't know a whole lot about rotc, but from what i understand, once you elect to go in as an officer you might not get a whole lot of say about what branch of the army you actually go to after you're commissioned. they could easily send you to learn how to be an infantry officer.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Would your degree mean anything if you DIDN'T do ROTC? I don't mean to be glib. I'm not an engineer, but a lot of my friends graduated with engineering degrees, and it seems like unless you have a master's and have passed whatever that engineering test is, you're stuck doing bitch work for the "real" engineers anyway. Might as well do bitch work for the Army--they might send you to graduate school too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A quick google search turns up:

Air Force ROTC
    The COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES has a crosstown agreement with UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO-BOULDER. Typically, this means you'll be enrolled as a full time student at COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES and take your ROTC classes each week at UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO-BOULDER.

Approved Technical Majors: Computer Science
    Chemical Engineering
    Environmental Engineer
    Civil Engineering
    Electrical Engineering
    Mechanical Engineering
    Mathematics
    Chemistry
    Physics

Valkun on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All things being equal, you probably won't actually CONTRACT into the military until the beginning of your junior year. Thats how the Air Force worked anyways. The exception was if you were on a military scholarship, then you had to contract to activate the scholarship.

Basically you can try it out for a while and see if you like it, get a chance to ask all these questions.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since you mentioned that you wanted to join the AAF, it doesn't appear to matter to you which branch. So, what do you want to do in the Army? Having no direction may come back to bite you in the ass. The way the officer corps works in the Army, they will have you focus more on general leadership and staff skills than specific jobs. That's what warrant officers are for. You may branch aviation, spend your 2LT days as a pilot, then be pulled into an infantry battalion staff once you get your 1LT. I'm in an MP battalion, and our staff consists of an MP S-1 (personnel), a transportation S-2 (intel), an MP S-3 (operation), and an infantry S-4 (logistics).

Also, if you join the Army, at this point you should pretty much expect to be deployed. Yes, there is talk of drawing down, which may occur by the time you graduate, but even if we are pulling out, they will still rather deploy a new guy than send someone out for thier 5th tour. I've heard that officers, Army and Marine Corps in particular, usually get very enticing offers from the civilian job market at the end of their first term, and the Army especially is forced to offer big bonuses to try to keep you in.

As far as the branches go, when I was in ROTC, you ranked all branches (16 in total I think). If you graduated in the top 10% of all cadets nationwide, you are guaranteed your first pick. If not, they will go off your ranking and put you where they need you.

juggerbot on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am pretty sure the mines school also cross towns with colorado's Navy ROTC

I dont know how you feel about boats but the navy loves them some Mech E's They make great Seabees.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    mad4drpeppermad4drpepper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But everyone hates the Seabees and just plain hate "Seamen" in general.

I say that jokingly ;)

mad4drpepper on
    Making the world taste better one can at a time. :winky:
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I say that jokingly ;)

I like Dr. Pepper, too, but damn. But you do have 38000 as your member ID, so I must concede. I always figured the Seabees to be more of the civil engineering department than mechanical, but still, if you wish to join military service to see the world and gain experience, the Navy is the best way to go IMO.

Edit: Ah, you're stuck in Camp Bucca with me. I understand. I, too, get mad in my search for the nectar of the gods.

juggerbot on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    juggerbot wrote: »

I say that jokingly ;)

I like Dr. Pepper, too, but damn. But you do have 38000 as your member ID, so I must concede. I always figured the Seabees to be more of the civil engineering department than mechanical, but still, if you wish to join military service to see the world and gain experience, the Navy is the best way to go IMO.

Edit: Ah, you're stuck in Camp Bucca with me. I understand. I, too, get mad in my search for the nectar of the gods.

Haha... friggin a dude! Yeah im stuck at the "Help Desk" currently... that's crazy dude. Who would have thought that I would have found someone else who is bound to the same fate as I?

mad4drpepper on
  • Options
    JermJerm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i was just reading this and i've got to say wow
    look at what the internet does
    also, who are all the soldiers voting for?

Jerm on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jerm wrote: »
    i was just reading this and i've got to say wow
    look at what the internet does
    also, who are all the soldiers voting for?

Well as soldier, we aren't allowed to say who we are voting for. But as I civilian I can tell you. o_O

mad4drpepper on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    juggerbot wrote: »

I say that jokingly ;)

Haha... friggin a dude! Yeah im stuck at the "Help Desk" currently... that's crazy dude. Who would have thought that I would have found someone else who is bound to the same fate as I?
    AHAHAHAHA

Oh Jesus that place sucked.

Edit for the OP: Military training is quite excellent if you get into good programs which, as an officer with a valuable degree, you will. Nearly all training is also worth college credit do you may get stuff added on to help you towards your masters.

Quid on
  • Options
    Red LegRed Leg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you don't want to do ROTC, or are just unsure of what you want to major in, you can get a degree in anything you want and go through the OCS program to get your commission. I was an English Lit major and now I'm in the Field Artillery, if that help you any.

Red Leg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the replies, all.

Part of the reason I want to join an ROTC program is so that I can go off and have experiences and challenges that don't come with the college -> cubicle path.

I have a general idea of what I want to do in the Army or Air Force (sorry, Navy dudes, you're talking to a midwesterner). The Corps of Engineers looks really appealing to me, as do the aviation, chemical, and intelligence branches. I'm willing to accept being deployed.

There are a few other questions I'd like to ask. What is an average day in the Army like? If you're not deployed or not on the front lines, what do your jobs entail? If I joined the Army through the ROTC program, do I only have to commit to eight years of active/inactive duty, or is there a chance they could extend my period of service? And lastly, though this may seem kind of trite, what have you military guys gotten out of your experiences and do you think you made the right choice?

I've asked these questions to quite a few other military guys over past couple of years, but I'd like to know what the crowd on here is like.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Golden Leg wrote: »
    I have a general idea of what I want to do in the Army or Air Force (sorry, Navy dudes, you're talking to a midwesterner).
    Not trying to convince you or anything since it seems like the army's probably what you want most, but I've been in for over four years and the only reason I even saw a ship was because I was on vacation in an area that happened to have on in port when I needed to update my ID card.

Edit: On military life overall: It varies with the services but generally deployments are the harder part. The artillery guys I worked with had some pretty horrific stories. Across most services though you can expect to lose sleep. I don't know many people who get 7-8 hours a day. And the attitudes between commands can vary greatly which can be frustrating when PCSing.

If you go the officer route you technically don't have an end of service date. So while for enlisted the absolute max they could be extended barring WWIII is eight years, I don't know how it would work for you.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the replies, all.

Part of the reason I want to join an ROTC program is so that I can go off and have experiences and challenges that don't come with the college -> cubicle path.

I have a general idea of what I want to do in the Army or Air Force (sorry, Navy dudes, you're talking to a midwesterner). The Corps of Engineers looks really appealing to me, as do the aviation, chemical, and intelligence branches. I'm willing to accept being deployed.

There are a few other questions I'd like to ask. What is an average day in the Army like? If you're not deployed or not on the front lines, what do your jobs entail? If I joined the Army through the ROTC program, do I only have to commit to eight years of active/inactive duty, or is there a chance they could extend my period of service? And lastly, though this may seem kind of trite, what have you military guys gotten out of your experiences and do you think you made the right choice?

I've asked these questions to quite a few other military guys over past couple of years, but I'd like to know what the crowd on here is like.

Well from the looks of it, it looks like you got a good head on your shoulders. Whatever you do, just make sure its gonna be something that you will enjoy.

Well when we are state side, I am pretty much a desk jockey/pog/go for boy as a chaplains assistant. Im not sure if you will have to do eight years... but that will greatly depend on what service(active, reserve, guard) or branch you join. As an officer, you will always have the option to resign your commission at any time, but i still think there is like a four year commitment? im enlisted, so any officers correct me if I am wrong.

Had I had the option to do it all over again? Yeah, might have joined a different branch of service, but I would have still enlisted. Life time friends, skills, and memories that you would never get doing anything else! Be forewarned, you might get to travel(good thing), it just might be to some shit hole(bad thing), but then that comes with the job.

mad4drpepper on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I have a general idea of what I want to do in the Army or Air Force (sorry, Navy dudes, you're talking to a midwesterner).
    Not trying to convince you or anything since it seems like the army's probably what you want most, but I've been in for over four years and the only reason I even saw a ship was because I was on vacation in an area that happened to have on in port when I needed to update my ID card.

Edit: On military life overall: It varies with the services but generally deployments are the harder part. The artillery guys I worked with had some pretty horrific stories. Across most services though you can expect to lose sleep. I don't know many people who get 7-8 hours a day. And the attitudes between commands can vary greatly which can be frustrating when PCSing.

If you go the officer route you technically don't have an end of service date. So while for enlisted the absolute max they could be extended barring WWIII is eight years, I don't know how it would work for you.

hey Quid, i will split the 2k with you. sound good? lmao

mad4drpepper on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Muh?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Muh?

The military's 2 k per soldier referal program?

mad4drpepper on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The military's 2 k per soldier referal program?
    Ah. Haven't even thought about it since I joined.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The thing I was most unprepared for when I joined was the sheer amount of bureaucracy here. My job as a personnel clerk is pretty much to help Soldiers out to dealing with it. For example, in the civilian world, if you want a promotion, you go to your boss and you say, "hey, I'd like to be considered for that job that just opened up." In the Army, you have to fill out a 3355, look in your 201 file for any 214s, 1059s, NCOERs, and all certificates of training, create a new 2A and 2-1, submit the packet to your first line leader, first sergeant, and sergeant major for review, submit it to S-1 and have it reviewed in front of a board of NCOs in 3 months, who will decide whether to promote you.

And anyone in the Army eventually learns to sign their name without giving much thought at all to what the document says. "What? I never got a Goretex jacket!" "Well, you signed for one. If I don't get one, you're buying it."

AND, sometimes they intrude a bit too much on your personal life, for my preference. Not that I'm bitter, or anything.

juggerbot on
  • Options
    To Slip AwayTo Slip Away __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    The millitary is for faggots who want to go and die.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Haha, sounds like someone is a little disgruntled for not passing the ASVAB?

mad4drpepper on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the answers, guys.

I'm going to keep doing a bit of research on the Army and the ROTC program, and try to get an engineering internship this summer. I will be old enough to join my sophomore year, and I probably will should the next few months not weather my case.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Its cool if you want to go army but if you are looking at aviation you might want to take another look at the Navy/marine corp. It is easier to get a pilot slot in the navy out of ROTC than it is out of the air force. Also navy pilots are just cooler and we have sweeter aircraft.

Both air force and navy have aviation programs and they both have about the same number of slots. Just about everyone that goes to the air force academy wants those slots and has a pretty good chance of getting them. That leaves less spots for the ROTC guys.

The navy on the other hand commissions a lot of different things out of its academy. Ship drivers, sub drivers, navy seals, Naval flight officers (goose in top gun Not a pilot) Explosive ordnance disposal, and marines. This leaves LOTs of spots for OCS and ROTC pilots. In fact last i heard it was like 40 40 20% as to where the pilots are coming from. Vice the air force which is like 70 30.

And I am from Indiana and love the navy. I have lived on a great beach for the last 3 years, Pensacola, Corpus Christi, Jacksonville, and my next duty station is San Diego (will finally be west coast and can go to pax!)

Limp moose on