As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Teen Island] Dwarf Fortress + Cheerleaders + Dice. Monday Night.

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
TEEN ISLAND

PicForNewsletterFijiNov152004CastAwayMONORIKI.JPG

I'll be starting a game of Teen Island this Monday the 8th at 11pm British Summer Time in #TeenIsland on irc.magicstar.net This is subject to flexibility based on who we have coming. I'd certainly prefer to move it to earlier myself and will do if it's mostly Europeans playing.

There's no GM and it's a collaborative group game, so the more people we have to chip in the more fun it will be. Think of it as being a cross between a Let's Play, a Board Game and a Roguelike.

But what's the game you say?

I was toying with the idea of creating a game that could be playable solo, taking inspiration from the randomly generated content of Roguelikes. I ended up with the idea of a desert-island survival game where you or your group collaboratively control a randomly generated group of highschoolers that have to balance gathering food and materials to survive with complex social networks and backstabing. Obviously there are also tropical storms, bear attacks and hopefully a raft. I painted the whole thing with a thick coat of highschool stereotypes and had my basic idea down.

So here, nearing its completed form, is Teen-Islanders.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddmbxmt_13cg9mbdv5

The game has gone down well when played with around three people but I really think it's a case of the more the merrier. Life in the island is meant to be unfair and you can fully expect your favourite castaways to be eaten by tigers or fall into a volcano when they're not refusing to cooperate with your plans for survival.

The game actually benefits from sidetracking into silly comments and really reading into the events. You soon learn to hate the fat kids. Here's an example of what a group of Castaways will look like, each one being the result of a single d6 roll and up to two further rolls based on how they roll.

The Rebels
Lucia and Franklyn (Spunk, Couple)

The Cheerleaders
Michelle (Social, Fussy, The Bitch)
Tara (Social, Fussy)
Amber, Tiffany and Samantha (Social)

The Rest
Heather (Sports)
Christian (The Class Clown, Smarts, Spunk)
Eugene (Glutton)
Aaron (Jerk)
Amie (Sports, Crush on Franklyn)

The brackets contain any Strengths or Weaknesses the character has as well as how any other notable information such as relationships with other Castaways or whether they fit a special role such as Prom King or Class Clown. As you can see Cliques form rapidly on this island depending on character's Strengths.

With the Core game only awaiting final editing before I seal it off as complete I've also begun work on a series of mini-supplments each providing a set of optional variants on the game or modular addons, the series is called Coconut Radio and so far there are three issues awaiting playtesting, which I'd be happy to try out with people that have become more familiar with the basic game. New content includes murder, cannibalism and an evil sentient island, so I'm eager to give them a try. You'll hear about them first here when they're ready for release upon the public.

Interest in Monday's game? Just let me know.

SUPERSUGA on

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been playing this solo in my lunch break, it is brilliant. Put me down as a maybe for monday!

I have a gay couple (It didn't forbid it from what I saw):
    Will (social fussy)
    David (social)

The first day was uneventful. On day 2 I rolled a 1 for food hunting, and they both decided to build the HMS rainbow. I then rolled a 1 for wood gathering, and all the wood was burnt to ward off evil spirits. Needless to say the rest of the island weren't impressed and Will and David went without their supper.

Then because there is no wood I roll another camp event, and Will & David break up "in a dramatic way". Does this mean the HMS rainbow is doomed if they don't get back together, or do they keep working on it even if they hate eachother (not rolled it yet)?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008
    For rulings like that it's generally assumed that the group will agree on the most suitable/fun cause of action, so it's really up to you. There are quite a few little oddities that can crop up like that and it really falls down to the groups' interpretation. I'm assuming you're talking about the "I'll get us off this Island" event, in which case I'd say the one who originally started work on the raft would continue without their partner.

Glad you're enjoying it solo, it's much more fun with more players!

And yes, gay couples aren't differentiated from normal couples in any way. Infact this can make some of the events much more interesting.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, that's the one. I hadn't thought about Will carrying on alone, but now that I re-read it that is definitely the result that follows the rules most closely. Luckily it hadn't affected things yet, as though they did break up, Will is starving himself despite a sudden abundance of food. I don't think he's dealing with it too well.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll try to make it Monday; after all, third times the charm.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    all of my dicks

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Neat, sounds like that's four people including myself. Would everyone be abkc to make it at 10pm BST (GMT+1) instead of 11?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Neat, sounds like that's four people including myself. Would everyone be abkc to make it at 10pm BST (GMT+1) instead of 11?

Is that like 3 pm GMT-6

I will be working unfortunately =[

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can do 10 or 11.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ohhhhh.... I might be there... had so much fun first time we played.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok, we'll aim for 10 but will hold on till 11 if numbers are low. It's easy to jump into a game that's already started anyhow.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, this will kick off in two hours. I have to run out to sort something so I may be up to 20 minutes late, but the channel is all set up and waiting anyhow.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Its 11:00 right now isn't it? Did the game start at ten and end at eleven or something or are you holding off for more people because I can't find the channel.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We're playing as I type, the channel is the one in the OP. No mistakes there, as Technicality made his way in ok.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay Lynx and Tech, hope you enjoyed the game and are able to make the next session! I'm aiming for 10pm BST (GMT+1) in the same place on Thursday night. Newcomers are very welcome, it's easy to jump in and figure out where things are. For those who are curious here's how our camp and castaways stood at the point where we had to finish.

Day 13

The Camp
    Food: 0 (a recurring pattern)
    Wood: 8
    Camp Value: 6 (Very basic, they have a habit of burning it down)
    Notes: David, Derek, Horse, Socrates and Chester are Hungry.

The Rebels
    Kliff (Spunk, Couple with Roberta)
    Roberta (Spunk, Couple with Kliff)

The Rebels are yet to really make their impression on the island. So far they've been diligently getting on with work and actually being two of the most dependable castaways.

The Nerds
    Matilda (Spunk)
    Derek (Smarts, Crush on Matilda)
    Chester (Smarts, Crush on Matilda)

Matilda's life was changed on Day 2 when a coconut struck her on the head, causing a vast personality change in her. She lost her Gluttony and Smarts that defined her previously and became a Sassier, more aerodynamic model. She probably took off her glasses and let her hair down, or was replaced by a new actress. Her and Chester had lucky escapes after being shot by poison darts, both waking up some days later from their comas. Rather usefully they found an old camp on the island that proves someone has made it off alive and provided them with some nice loot.

The Jocks
    Big Mitch (Sports)
    Guns (Sports)
    Snakedog (Sports)

The Jocks have been mostly dependable, when Guns isn't having mental breakdowns or being stung by killer bees. They were quick to kick Horse out of their ranks when he reverted to a feral state.

The Rest
    Horse (Sports, Slacker)

Horse began life as a Jock but one day the Jungle Madness took him. He spend two days and nights roaming the island as a beast, wrecking some of the camp in the process, before returning a shadow of his former self. Now he spends most days staring into the trees and mumbling, being shunned by his former Jock bretheren.

Amber (Social, Fussy)
    Ruby (Fussy)

Amber and Ruby have proven to be surprisingly capable at building the camp, which seems to be used as firewood more than shelter. They protest this behaviour by refusing to eat and occasionally nearing death through starvation.

David (Crush on Amber, has Dog "Socrates")

David has spent many a day watching lovingly as Amber nearly dies from refusing to eat coconuts. His dog is a liability and most of the group want to eat it.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Great game, I'll definitely catch next Thursday.

And Socrates is GREAT, no matter what anyone says.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Snakedog made me lol

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I just found this thread and now I love SUPERSUGA more than anything. I may have to come to you with questions on a few of the rules, but I can't wait to try this out with some friends.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sure, throw any questions my way. I'd love to hear how any games you play go, also.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Last night was good stuff, I'll be there!

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Reminder to all that this is tonight.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bumpy Bump, we gather in 20 minutes.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Short notice but I know some people here enjoyed the last time. A game of this will be running over on irc.magicstar.net in #TeenIsland from 7pm tonight, GMT. The game itself is aiming to start around 8pm.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish this wasn't during the afternoon weekdays at some point so I could join. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'll try and do a later one at a weekend but frankly its your own fault for being so far away from central earthtime.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aww.. This was good fun last time, but I'm busy tonight.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2008
    7pm GMT is in about 15 minutes, correct? I'm sick so I think I can make it regardless of when it is.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Play will continue tonight at 9pm GMT!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Finally a PDF version is available! Complete with artwork from some guy.

Here or here. Enjoy!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    :O

:O

INeedNoSalt on