As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flash Player not working in Firefox on Mac

HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academysumma cum laudeRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Adobe's website says that flash player works for Safari and Firefox, but really all it's working for is Safari. I know Safari is a great browser and it's as great as Firefox but I'd rather not just switch, so what's the problem here and how can I fix it?

Also, if I want a text program for Mac that isn't Word and isn't TextEditor (which is more like notepad than anything, not sure how to get it to format to the sizes and margins of a real page), what should I get? I tried getting OpenOffice and NewOffice but after it downloaded and I tried to open the .dmg it said there was an error. Both programs did this. I need a good text program for college but as a poor student I don't have the ability to buy the Microsoft programs.

Thanks for the advice :)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
NNID: Hakkekage
Hakkekage on

• MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So flash player isn't working on other websites? Is adblock blocking it perhaps? Try disabling adblock temporarily, and see if that helps.

Also, did you fully dl the dmgs? What was the error message?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Adobe's website says that flash player works for Safari and Firefox, but really all it's working for is Safari. I know Safari is a great browser and it's as great as Firefox but I'd rather not just switch, so what's the problem here and how can I fix it?

I don't know if this applies to a Mac, but in order to get Flash Player working on the latest 3.x version of Firefox under WinXP, I had to install the version 10 beta player rather than the "official" version.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sorry for getting back so late.

Anyway, disabling adblock doesn't work, and downloading adobe version 10 did nothing as well (for reference, I am using thedailyshow.com as a test site)

As for NeoOffice, it said the disk image failed to mount because it was "not recognized"

Hakkekage on
    edited September 2008
    EDIT: Now Safari isn't working, I suspect it's the addition of flash player 10. How do you uninstall disk images on a mac?

Hakkekage on
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    EDIT: Now Safari isn't working, I suspect it's the addition of flash player 10. How do you uninstall disk images on a mac?

Do you mean unmount disk images? If so you just drag the disk image to the trash. If you mean uninstall the application, I think you just go to the applications folder and just delete the .app.

edit: did you download the right version of neooffice? there are two versions, depending on your processor type. if you don't know which type you have, go to the apple icon at top left and then about this mac. as for text editors on mac, openoffice and neooffice are probably the best you can get if you don't want to get MS word.

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
    edited September 2008
    Safari works again, still no firefox (deleted Adobe flash 9)

And yes, I did; I have an intel core 2 duo processor, and that's the version I got.

Hakkekage on
  • NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    about TextEdit and making the things fit to a page size, well first you go to print size to change it to the size you'd like. Then go to the format menu, then adapt to page.

Depending on what you need the text program for, TextEdit should be fine. There is also a program called Bean (I think, I'll look on it later if you want me to) that would have certain things a little more accessible like wordcount. I still had to download NeoOffice because I had to do table for a schoolthing. I don't know why it would make an error tough.

Nataneko on
    edited September 2008
    I managed to open OpenOffice (redownloaded it) and it seemed to install, but then it wouldn't open (it seemed like it froze) and x11 opened. I know x11 is supposed to make openoffice work, so why isn't it...? Am I supposed to do something else?

Hakkekage on