As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Incontrovertible Complaint with Vista/2008

Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?Registered User regular
So, there's lots of talk about how contrary to the popular wisdon, Vista isn't really a dog.

Well, I discovered something that is A) stupid and B) a reason why one might not wish to upgrade.

Here's the stupid part:

Interactive services are disabled, and yet you can still select to allow desktop interaction. WHAT?

Secondly, services can no longer be interactive, which means that you can't use insrv and srvany to do useful things, like with VMs.

Boooooo.

Apothe0sis on

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Of all the things to complain about these really seem pretty obscure. Maybe by "why one might not wish to upgrade" you literally meant, why one person may wish not to upgrade. This person being you.

I know virtualization has come a long way, but it seems like most people running two operating system on one machine just dual boot these days.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have you looked into this? I assume that you've already googled the issue and seen that, but just in case...

ecchi on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So let me see if I understand the problem. All services in previous windows run in session 0 for the first user that logs in. After that, you'd have to share the session with other users to achieve the same functionality?

I can understand why they broke it, if I understand the problem correctly. Perhaps we need services that are coded properly for vista. Man, they implement the security structure everyone wanted and, whoops, it broke everything.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Umm, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, use the /admin switch. /console is gone with Vista, Server 2008, XP SP3.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd love to see a Mac ad for this.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Well mac interactive services are disabled, and services can no longer be interactive with Vista!"

"Well, look, what ever it is you're talking about, it probably works with OSX. I mean. They wouldn't put us onscreen otherwise, right?"

Khavall on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You won't ever see a Mac ad like this because Steve Jobs doesn't care about IT people.

/kanye

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, because this problem effects sooooooo many people.

And it's fixed by people coding correctly.

Wow, making programmers not be lazy. That's such a terrible thing :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    what?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    On the other hand Exchange 2007 is wonderful.

Apothe0sis on