As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Japanese translation in Trigun Finale

Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So this is a great series, and I saw the last one a few days ago on DVD at a friend's house. Neither of us speak Japanese. In the final battle:
Knives and Vash discuss how they are not humans, but "plants." However, in this context, and that from the previous episodes, it is uncertain if the word is intended to mean "power plants/ reactors" or "greenhouse plants, grown with tender loving care", especially since at earlier points in the series some people are inside giant orbs being used as power sources. I was wondering if anyone who has seen this series and speaks japanese could tell me if the Japanese word used means power plant or garden plant. It doesn't change the story that much, but I'm fascinated enough with the story that I'd like to know. Unfortunately I don't have the disc myself, and of course all the youtube videos I can find are AMVs instead of using the actual Japanese =(. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
Dropping Loads on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there a new Trigun series? Because otherwise, I'm pretty sure you could find the ENglish DVDs somewhere...

But anyways, if it is the old series, my memory of it isn't the greatest, but I'm pretty sure that
    they mean like greenhouse plants. Again, I don't remember everything, but doesn't the flower/plant motiff factor in heavily through out the series? Like the girl that raised them talked about flowers and such.

Oh! And adding to that, there's also the fact that I'm pretty sure that somewhere it's mention that they're like plant seeds that will colonize a planet

Man I loved Trigun. And the toys that came out a few years ago. Those were awesome detailed. Just so you know, the manga is completely different than the anime.

noir_blood on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    it's actually both:
    They were both "born" from the Plants.. power plants that are also at their core.. yeah... plants. They never explain the mechanism for power, but they are both types of plants... which makes things kind of confusing.. but also explains the guns as they are harnessing their inherent ability to generate vasts amount sof power, but in a weaponised form.

EclecticGroove on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's this confusion that made me want to know if the Japanese word has more meaning than the English one. Whether in subtitles or spoken English, the word used is "plant." The context of the series uses the English word "plant" to mean either definition at various times, which made me curious what the actual Japanese meant. Maybe it's just as ambiguous in Japanese as in English, but it would be cool to know for sure.

Dropping Loads on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always took it to mean just the green house type plant. It was a bit confusing to me at first until I assumed that everyone who was talking about it as a 'plant' new that the reactors were powered by organic life.

Nova_C on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    it's actually both:
    They were both "born" from the Plants.. power plants that are also at their core.. yeah... plants. They never explain the mechanism for power, but they are both types of plants... which makes things kind of confusing.. but also explains the guns as they are harnessing their inherent ability to generate vasts amount sof power, but in a weaponised form.
    The manga actually makes this connection a lot more clear as well. In the anime Knives asks Vash why he hasn't learned to heal his body yet. In the Manga it's shown that the way that Knives does this is by parasitising one of the plants, eventually killing them during the processes.

It's also revealed why Legato manages to have so much control over Vash. It's because he's got Vash's arm, the one that was shot off. IIRC it's the one with the shoulder that has all the spikes protruding from it.

I never got too far in the Manga, but IIRC it's still going.

There's also a Trigun movie in the works now, surprisingly given all the time that's passed.

subedii on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's awesome! Thanks for filling in the rest of the details. It makes the story more complete :lol: Thread Locked!

Dropping Loads on