As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xavi's new Art dump thread (56k death)

XaviXavi Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Artist's Corner
Yo, so yeah, wasn't here, now I am, yay!

I have an art blog now! http://xgarcia.blogspot.com/

All the stuff I'm about to post is in there, so you can go to the link or scroll down. Magical!

landing_deck.jpg

landing_deck_color.jpg

spacey_girl.jpg

lost_future.jpg

lost_future_color.jpg

space_opera.jpg

eggplant_the_wise.jpg

post_apoc_engineer.jpg

post_apoc_engineer_color_wip_02.jpg

forest_encounter.jpg

neo_thailand.jpg

alien_01.jpg

random_characters_03.jpg

zakrharn_hunter.jpg

zakrharn_hunter_color.jpg

ryu_01_color.jpg

chun_01_color.jpg

Xavi on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    2 is awesome and needs to be fleshed out.

There is a lot to like here, I don't have the mental capacity available to me to provide any intelligent crits but I'll be back when I'm feeling more awake.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks Mustang! heres two more :)

alien_housewife.jpg

mj_pinup_wip_01.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like your angles and the way you don't overwork your lines. The mixture of traditional and digital looks really nice too.

Only one problem... whats up with Ryus eyebrow?
    This is totally badass!

Cool stuff

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Legs arn't exactly your strong point are they? You seem to have a lot of trouble proportioning legs with the rest of your body in general and feet, Not talking 100% about the aliens either, just generally they are way off asides ONE of the astraunauts in one of the pictures you had a good angle with properly done legs

Edit: And while i'm on the subject of my strange and mysterious creepy leg/feet fetish, 8 and 9 both have the left foot completely messed up, not only is it not properly aligned but the twist on the foot as well is literally capable of breaking the foot (in other words not physically possible)

also the neck in 8/9 is kinda funny

and 12..............

17, The face seems to be hurriedly done, its not properly placed the eyes are off and the shape of the head itself is off, the neck itself is off slightly long and... Is it bending?!

The hurried shading on 11 was placed incorrectly judging by the direction of the light and the shape of the flying thing of alienz, also of course since there's ground nearby the structure the light would propably reflect off the ground and onto the structure as well so in other words the sides would have slightly lighter tone then the middle which would of gave it a more three demensional feeling rather then flat

and 3 I think shes wide eyed like that because her suit is apparently compressing her bewbz into her chest and her poor bottom half of her legs shriveled up into a raisin

and 7 reminds me of my uncle

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Legs arn't exactly your strong point are they? You seem to have a lot of trouble proportioning legs with the rest of your body in general and feet, Not talking 100% about the aliens either, just generally they are way off asides ONE of the astraunauts in one of the pictures you had a good angle with properly done legs

Edit: And while i'm on the subject of my strange and mysterious creepy leg/feet fetish, 8 and 9 both have the left foot completely messed up, not only is it not properly aligned but the twist on the foot as well is literally capable of breaking the foot (in other words not physically possible)

also the neck in 8/9 is kinda funny

and 12..............

17, The face seems to be hurriedly done, its not properly placed the eyes are off and the shape of the head itself is off, the neck itself is off slightly long and... Is it bending?!

The hurried shading on 11 was placed incorrectly judging by the direction of the light and the shape of the flying thing of alienz, also of course since theires ground nearby the structure the light would propably reflect off the ground and onto the structure as well so in other words the sides would have slightly lighter tone then the middle which would of gave it a more three demensional feeling rather then flat

and 3 I think shes wide eyed like that because her suit is apparently compressing her bewbz into her chest and her poor bottom half of her legs shriveled up into a raisin

and 7 reminds me of my uncle

Sweet! Thanks for taking the time. I dont really have an answer for all the crits, just that these drawings take 15 to 40 mins each, so theyre definitely not polished or referenced. Also remember that some things are done on purpose (see #12)

Either way, I'll try to get better at it, get your uncle some help ;)

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Xavi wrote: »
    Sweet! Thanks for taking the time. I dont really have an answer for all the crits, just that these drawings take 15 to 40 mins each, so theyre definitely not polished or referenced. Also remember that some things are done on purpose (see #12)

Well if you took 15-40 minutes to make the Drawings then 15-40 minutes would of been plenty of time to get all measurements out so odds are you skipped alot of base measurements which is alot of issues with alot of art it seems, people tend to skip the important stuff because they want to get to the juicy-ness of detailing something, which usually makes a drawing less... Proportional? I dont know physically possible, depends on what it is.

Edit: Like for instance its REALLY obvious that you didn't draw out the entire left leg in 8-9 i'm not 100% sure how you even drew that but I'm generally Edit: Not antisocial I would say more like... FORCIBLY ISOLATED :Edit so I dont see how anyone draws asides myself

That reminds me of a story this monday where I cringed and almost fell off my seat in my human anatomy class

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Xavi wrote: »

Well if you took 15-40 minutes to make the Drawings then 15-40 minutes would of been plenty of time to get all measurements out so odds are you skipped alot of base measurements which is alot of issues with alot of art it seems, people tend to skip the important stuff because they want to get to the juicy-ness of detailing something, which usually makes a drawing less... Proportional? I dont know physically possible, depends on what it is.

Edit: Like for instance its REALLY obvious that you didn't draw out the entire left leg in 8-9 i'm not 100% sure how you even drew that but I'm generally Edit: Not antisocial I would say more like... FORCIBLY ISOLATED :Edit so I dont see how anyone draws asides myself

That reminds me of a story this monday where I cringed and almost fell off my seat in my human anatomy class

Well initially there was no foot there and then I saw the empty space and figured Id use it, so you're right that wasn't exactly as planned .. then again I didn't plan the piece much to being with. Is the pose not doable? I say maybe, his knee is facing slightly to his left and his foot is facing forward, so Id say yeah, that would not break anything since the knee and foot are not going in completely separate directions. You could also argue that what hes wearing is misleading you (maybe his kneepad doesnt actually reflect exactly the status of his placement, or his metallic boot is too big, so his foot could be veered to the side) Honestly the more surprising thing is that you didnt notice that his legs are waaaay too short compared to his upper body. Either way its an easy enough fix and I'll see to it (hence the greatness of having other peoples opinions available, easy not to notice flaws when you have been staring at the same piece for a while)

As for the space girl, shes wearing a suit, those are not her boobs, its just the chest piece, she probably has "A" cups :) Regardless though, its forced perspective and not correct from the conception.

Also, I gave you my timeframe but like you said, not everybody works at the same intensity. You could probably wip out more accurate pieces in the same time and thats cool, its something I need to get better at. These are colored sketches and theyll have their many flaws, and thats OK for me since I get the gist of the drawing, flaws and all and then I get to the coloring stage and I have a piece that you could show in a production schedule within a short timeframe (in that line of work anatomical details are often overlooked, sadly).

Its a good thing to get these kinds of crits from somebody who is still going to art school. I was way more critical of work back in my college days, Ive mellowed out since, for some reason. Thanks again :)

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Edit: why am I quoting? who else would I be talking to??

oi oi, Well as for 8 and 9, I suppose what you would say would have a point except the little issue where his leg is actually aimed in that direction and the foot is then aimed in the other direction.

And if you use a pencil to aim your measurements the end of the foot would be where the foot would connect to the leg ;p

It's only my third week in college and I have this crazyyyyy plot of becoming social after being completely abandoned for 11 years zzzZzz how do you have a normal conversation if you don't know anything asides art? And for some reason people ask if i'm hitting on them this sucks

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I like your angles and the way you don't overwork your lines. The mixture of traditional and digital looks really nice too.

Only one problem... whats up with Ryus eyebrow?
    This is totally badass!

Cool stuff

The eyebrows? I was just trying to stay consistent with the Capcom style (they draw his brows over his bandana pretty often

example: http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2852/ryusdr3.jpg

Also, thanks! That piece aint done yet, so hopefully soon I'll get around to it
    Edit: why am I quoting? who else would I be talking to??

oi oi, Well as for 8 and 9, I suppose what you would say would have a point except the little issue where his leg is actually aimed in that direction and the foot is then aimed in the other direction.

And if you use a pencil to aim your measurements the end of the foot would be where the foot would connect to the leg ;p

Well, good thing I have the magicks of Photoshop at hand ;)

Xavi on
  • Options
    PumazPumaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love your colors man, adds such a thematic or energized feel. Not that I'm any expert though.

Pumaz on