As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corruption in government! (also, celery being a wanker)

The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hopRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
But it turns out government officials in the energy department are corrupt:
WASHINGTON — As Congress prepares to debate expansion of drilling in taxpayer-owned coastal waters, the Interior Department agency that collects oil and gas royalties has been caught up in a wide-ranging ethics scandal — including allegations of financial self-dealing, accepting gifts from energy companies, cocaine use and sexual misconduct.

In three reports delivered to Congress on Wednesday, the department’s inspector general, Earl E. Devaney, found wrongdoing by a dozen current and former employees of the Minerals Management Service, which collects about $10 billion in royalties annually and is one of the government’s largest sources of revenue other than taxes.

“A culture of ethical failure” pervades the agency, Mr. Devaney wrote in a cover memo.

The reports portray a dysfunctional organization that has been riddled with conflicts of interest, unprofessional behavior and a free-for-all atmosphere for much of the Bush administration’s watch.

<...>

The investigation separately found that the program’s manager mixed official and personal business. In sometimes lurid detail, the report also accuses him of having intimate relations with two subordinates, one of whom regularly sold him cocaine.

<...>

But two of the highest-ranking officials who were subjects of the investigations will apparently escape penalty. Both retired during the investigation, rendering them safe from any administrative punishment, and the Justice Department has declined to prosecute them on the charges suggested by the inspector general.

Question: why can't I even muster a decent amount of righteous indignation any more? Like, okay -- government officials are corrupt. I'm mainly just surprised the Times actually bothered reporting on it. And what else? Get out! Upper class businessmen use cocaine? I blame Oliver Stone and his movie Wall Street.

The Green Eyed Monster on

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My first response was:

"The government's second largest source of government revenue is what's that now?"

My next response was then:

"The government takes product from these companies and then markets it and sells it themselves, instead of just taxing them more? Why?"

Only after that did I care that the people involved are all snorting coke off each others' genitals while simultaneously (but more figuratively) scratching each others' backs.

Yar on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You're right.

No one will ever guess what this thread is about given the current thread title.

Which is why you should change it so it advertises the content of the thread instead of saying nothing.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    You're right.

No one will ever guess what this thread is about given the current thread title.

Which is why you should change it so it advertises the content of the thread instead of saying nothing.
    Nope, teaser. Only the dedicated and motivated can post in my thread.

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I agree with Drez. Thread title should not be your private little jerk off. Make it somewhat meaningful. At least "you'll never guess who's corrupt now" if not "Dept. of Interior Oil/Sex/Drugs Scandal."

Yar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You're right.

The dedicated to what, exactly? People dedicated to clicking into threads that don't actually advertise what the thread is about? This is like titling your book "Book" and saying "my book is only for people who read books" and thinking that's some kind of lofty, valid position for you to take. Well it isn't. So how about you change your thread title, you insufferable cocknob.

"You'll never guess, I mean you'll simply never, ever guess" is not an appropriate thread title, period. It's basically trolling for attention.

Drez on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You're right.

The dedicated to what, exactly? People dedicated to clicking into threads that don't actually advertise what the thread is about? This is like titling your book "Book" and saying "my book is only for people who read books" and thinking that's some kind of lofty, valid position for you to take. Well it isn't. So how about you change your thread title, you insufferable cocknob.

"You'll never guess, I mean you'll simply never, ever guess" is not an appropriate thread title, period.
    Cry about it.

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wow this is crazy shit

MikeMan on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lol republicans

Seriously we're going to keep these people in power for four more years? Yeeesh.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You're right.

I was intrigued by the post.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's like putting up a thread with "Don't read this thread" as the title.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You're right.

I was intrigued by the post.

Which is exactly why it's trolling. Imagine if every thread were titled this same way, because every thread author wanted to trick people into reading the thread without actually explaining what the thread is about.

In an on-topic forum, the thread topic should actually at least partially suggest the topic of the thread.

But it's okay, I reported it, the mods can sort it out.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well I'll bump, since most people are ignoring this, likely because of the completely stupid title.

How is this "Republicans"?

Yar on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought this would be a Cloverfield 2 thread :cry:

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    Well I'll bump, since most people are ignoring this, likely because of the completely stupid title.

How is this "Republicans"?

That's what I was wondering myself. I can imagine making a connection between McCain's support for continued drilling, big oil, and the energy department but, despite what you may think, political corruption wasn't invented by Neoconservatives.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wasn't there a topic here of some sort not involving titles?

So yea the Government is corrupt, now its out in the open with a formal story written about it (even though it was general knowledge to the public), so is anything going to happen to the offenders not mentioned by names in the story? I don't even know if I want an answer to this question...because it will probably be a transfer/promotion/slap on the wrist. I would still like to maintain some kind of faith in my Government.

P.S. From the title I thought this was going to be some kind of stupid "I found this really cool thing on my website [insert stupid url here] and it helped me a great deal in my life and I thought I should share it." type thread. I generally enjoy looking at those because of the quips the mods make when they close them. Who knew I would be participating in a conversation?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure that the official gov response is that it had no effect on drilling contracts (aka these people were sleeping with a big oil but that didn't hinder our ability to bargain).

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    You're right.

"You'll never guess, I mean you'll simply never, ever guess" is not an appropriate thread title, period.
    Cry about it.
    that's what he's doing. try to keep up here.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure that the official gov response is that it had no effect on drilling contracts (aka these people were sleeping with a big oil but that didn't hinder our ability to bargain).

Well I hear thats how they close deals in some countries. They were just following the custom.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    NPR mentioned that somebody said it had a frathouse atmosphere and that they were getting monetary and personal "gifts" from oil companies all the time. It's sickening.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    NPR mentioned that somebody said it had a frathouse atmosphere and that they were getting monetary and personal "gifts" from oil companies all the time. It's sickening.

Seriously. And what sickens me the most is that nothing will probably get done about it.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Cry about it.

I think I'll just change it for you instead.

Echo on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    curse Thanatos' precedent

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lol republicans

Seriously we're going to keep these people in power for four more years? Yeeesh.

If you think this is somehow limited to, or more prevalent in the Republican party, you are fucking retarded.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This isn't the first time that government corruption like this has been documented or put into a major newspaper.

The fact of the matter is that people don't care. My guess is it's probably because they think that either it doesn't affect them at all, or the guy that they voted in isn't corrupt, but everybody else is, so you can still vote him in.

This is the kind of shit that happens when you let the same two parties run a government for this long.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    These people's job was to market and close oil and gas deals, and their argument (so I hear) is that in order to do that job well, they had to do as the Romans do.

My take on this is to take one step of abstraction back... why is our government in this business to begin with? Why do we have a psuedo oil company that gets its product by taking it as a tax from businesses but then markets it and sells it for profit? Why not fire this whole agency and just tax the oil companies more and let them handle marketing and selling energy?

Yar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well the officials were from the Dept of the Interior (i.e. they dealt with the renting of federal land). So their job was to broker the best deals for the American taxpayer. I don't think eliminating this portion of the agency is a good idea but obviously more oversight is needed.

reminderGTO on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but the "deals" as I understand them are that a certain amount of the product has to be turned over to this government agency, who then markets it themselves. Weird.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but the "deals" as I understand them are that a certain amount of the product has to be turned over to this government agency, who then markets it themselves. Weird.

Whoa that's news to me. I wasn't aware that we participated in marketing a product not land. Huh.

reminderGTO on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The WSJ article was written with maximum hilarity.
    Some employees of the office, which houses the department's royalty-in-kind program, "frequently consumed alcohol at industry functions, had used cocaine and marijuana, and had sexual relations with oil and gas company representatives," the report said, adding that "sexual relationships with prohibited sources cannot, by definition, be arms-length."

And I'm guessing a few of them were Republicans, due to
    WSJ wrote:
    The report says that eight officials in the royalty program accepted gifts from energy companies whose value exceeded limits set by ethics rules — including golf, ski and paintball outings; meals and drinks; and tickets to a Toby Keith concert, a Houston Texans football game and a Colorado Rockies baseball game

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    acronomiconacronomicon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The WSJ article was written with maximum hilarity.
    Some employees of the office, which houses the department's royalty-in-kind program, "frequently consumed alcohol at industry functions, had used cocaine and marijuana, and had sexual relations with oil and gas company representatives," the report said, adding that "sexual relationships with prohibited sources cannot, by definition, be arms-length."

And I'm guessing a few of them were Republicans, due to
    WSJ wrote:
    The report says that eight officials in the royalty program accepted gifts from energy companies whose value exceeded limits set by ethics rules — including golf, ski and paintball outings; meals and drinks; and tickets to a Toby Keith concert, a Houston Texans football game and a Colorado Rockies baseball game

But I thought Toby Keith was a Democrat? So confused.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Whoa that's news to me. I wasn't aware that we participated in marketing a product not land. Huh.
    Maybe I'm confused. Myt entire understanding of it comes from the NPR reports.

Yar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Seriously. And what sickens me the most is that I wasn't in on it

TL DR on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    just so you know those ethic rules are

no gift of value over 20 dollars.

no more than 50 dollars a year.

there are exceptions which normally revolve around whether or not the gift was given to you because of your position instead of who you are.

Dunadan019 on