As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest?] Vampire the Requiem- The VII

EgosEgos Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Critical Failures
This is an idea I've been toying around with for a fairly long time, and I was curious to see if there would be any player interest. The only rulebooks necessary would be nWoD and (potentially) Vampire the Requiem. Though we may be able to work around the second requirement.

If you read the supplement" The VII" you may have some idea of what I have in store. Essentially I would be using primarily the Akhud as a base for the protagonists. There may be some deviations. (Mr. Monday may appear also for those who are initiated).

For the uninitiated the VII are a group dedicated to the eradication of other Vampires. The story I have planned would be inter-continental but may have arcs that stay in one place for quite a bit.

There are some ideas I'm playing with and plan on including such as prominent VII members and the ability to choose a sire. As well as (and this depends on how hard it is for the players) allowing players to play more than one character.

The last option is due to a desire for variety in the character base ( we potentially don't want 7 ex navy seals walking around) , and also to make death a more realistic option without it being too much of a blow to the playeyr 8-)

Other deviations from the V:tR sourcebook that I'm taking is the somewhat definitive idea that Vampires lack a soul. In my world this isn't a fact. Makes killing them that much harder.

So any interest or no? I have to admit I'm a budding dm. So if you really want a exceptionally pro experience, this may not be the right place. But if you're in the mood for some experimental then :)

Odds are it will be PbP, occasionally there may be IRC meetings for especially dramatic moments.

Egos on

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This sound really cool Egos, but it seems I've gotten involved in a lot of games lately. I'll see how some of the games I'm in work out and apply then! Hope you have fun.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is intriguing.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    VII?

VII?

VII?

In. I hate Vampires in general, but VII is AWESOME and BRILLIANT and an AMAZING piece of work by WW.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Indeed it is a good book. Some things just for clarity

1.A list of sires/members of the VII will be provided along with possible suggestions on who they may sire.

2.Although this is based on the Akhud who are a clan as well as a covenant- there may be some lee-way in regards to what Disciplines you have.

3.The Multiple-Character idea is one up for debate. Its currently in the works in order to add to dramatic tension. As its easier to kill off a character, when you know the player has another to rely on. Players can inform beforehand if they really really prefer certain characters they come up with over others. If the idea goes through: probably 1-3 characters

4.If you want to just do a single character, that is probably doable

5.Characters don't have to fit the typical "militant" persona. They can, but like I said dramatic themes are desired. So if you want to play an abandoned drug addled kid, feel free to.

Potential Kinsman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei5P_6el3ZE

Egos on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have not played this before and I haven't roleplayed in general for a few years, but I may be interested. Just need to find somewhere which stocks the books!

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm definitely more than willing to help out players with any info they need. I'm sure we can work things out. As long as one is somewhat enthusiastic :)

A side note here a list of the members/seers I'm working on (thanks to Rainfall for inspiring two of these, and Power for Brian)
    These descriptions are basically from a VII layman.

"The Ventrue"- "Ah he really isn't a Ventrue, per se, but he runs in that circle. One of the most mournful members of the VII I've come across- despite the fact that he is a third blood. You ever seen the movie American Psycho? Well this guy puts up the same front, the only difference is this guy has a conscience. Hes just as pretty as some of the Daeva, but doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as they do.... and when you ask him about our "condition" - man can he go on...and on about the philosophical ramifications..

I get the feeling this is why "our leader" chose him."

"The Sisters"- "Deadly 5'2'' psychopaths... Or at least thats what they say. They are bloody ancient, no clue how ancient but they are old... From what I can tell they come from feudal Japan. They are attractive, but they don't seem to use that much to their advantage... I surmise they aren't very fond of men.....

I know one of them isn't for sure... I've heard they are apparently fraternal twins."

"The Canadian Psycho" - "Oh yeah a charming guy to be sure. He stands about 6'2, has a shaved head and
    bears a distinguished look. He always seems to be wearing a nice twill coat or something of that sort, he is very proper.... But I hear he is one sick S.O.B. . He enjoys his after-life a bit too much.. Aside from that he is one of the more polite Seven I've met.

Rumor is he is a third blood as well"

"Brian"- Brian is our arms dealer. He gets us what we need when we need it. What he does in his free time I don't know. Rumor has it he plays for the other team, hence why he left the military. If you've ever seen those old Johnny Quest cartoons, this guy looks like a real life Race Banon.

"The Desired One" - "This woman is amazingly beautiful but also a bit terrifying. She seems wise beyond her years. All I know about her is that she is of middle-eastern origin and that she serves as our head of intelligence. I know for a fact she is a "third blood", and rumor has it she was embraced by "our leader" due to some bizarre notion that it would cause her to fall in love with him...it didn't work out"

"The Hunters"- "I feel bad for these guys, really recently embraced.. I don't think they can handle what they've become.... Or maybe some can. They are led by a really athletic looking gent- looks a bit like Taye Diggs. They were part of some Task Force or something of that sort, they got too close...

All I know is "our leader" sent "the mob" after them.

"The Stripper"- "How does an ex- Intelligence Officer become a stripper? You got me; I've talked to her a few times- pretty girl. She tells me she was ordered to do this in order to scout out the night-life which apparently vampires frequent. She actually doesn't mind her job, with her powers she doesn't have to worry about any overly touchy customers."

"The Band" - "These guys are amusing. I have no idea how they'll keep it up. A bunch of emo type rockers or at least quasi emo. They bring in the Daevas like no other. They don't seem to mind their condition in the least, its weird- its like they've become inspired by their embrace and their music has gotten better.

I have no idea who embraced them, a lot of people thought it was a bad idea . I personally think it was our own "Lord Byron".

"Lord Byron" - "Ah the Ying to the "Ventrue's" Yang. A pretty boy and one who delights in his conquests even when they end up in his partner's death. I actually believe he enjoys this more. He is a ghost writer at the moment. I believe he may have been quite the famed poet in his day.

He is a "third blood" as well."

"The Mob"- "Our answer to the San Giovani apparently. I don't like to deal with these guys. I know their leader is a "third blood" and that they're organization is a tad more religious than others in organized crime. But they still seem like utter scum to me."

"Our Leader"- "Guy looks like bloody Vlad the Impaler. Heheh, ,hes like a classical vampire especially when he dresses up in his old war attire for our meetings. I get the feeling dressing up that way reminds him of his "Holy Cause". He is the oldest VII I know of - he is second generation I believe.

Hence why those he embraced are known as "third bloods"' "

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Info on who sires who

The 'Ventrue'- never sires seemingly. If your character is between life and death there is potential or if your character has ridiculously strong convictions and little to lose.

"The Sisters" - favor combatants and generally women. Though occasionally men make it into the fold (usually at the hands of the less extreme sister).

"The Canadian Psycho"- follows orders of the leader in regards of siring. And picks people who 'amuse' him. This can fit a lot of your potential characters.

"Brian"- is a bit of a lonely guy he would likely sire out of a desire for companionship or if under the orders of the leader. Companionship need not be romantic, but it can be.

"The Desired One"- like the Ventrue she doesnt always obey the leader's orders on who to sire. She chooses people that she personally has distaste for but sees much "potential in" (read criminals, soldiers of fortune, vandals). This is how she deals with bestowing the curse on others and furthering the VII's cause. *Plus these people have a destiny according to her; whos to say she is wrong? *

"The Hunters" - are new and most compromised of a high military types. They are confused and likely wont sire anyone . They are essentially in the same boat as one of your characters. In fact one of your characters can be part of this group.

"The Stripper"- doesn't actively seek to sire anyone, she only follows the orders of the Leader- but without questioning him in the least.

"The Band"- are similar to the Canadian Psycho in that they choose people that amuse them. The only difference between the Psycho and the Band, is the Psycho usually chooses more useful individuals.

"Lord Byron"- is a tormentor, he loves to bring people along on his tail of misery. Anyone in dire straights , anyone who really doesn't need to be exposed to the WoD, or even a favored enemy are fair game for him to sire.

"The Mob"- clear and simple. Like the sangiovanni they are incestuous to a degree (with whom they sire), but will follow orders if they are given to them. *They may be responsible for the Hunter groups siring*

The Leader- chooses people he favors, clear and simple. There is a mysterious methodology behind his rare choices. Your character could be one of them (but I'm wary to let more than one player have this honor).

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just to clarify, the above are just npcs

Egos on
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd imagine you want to pit some of the sires from these npc groups together?

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They are in the works for the characters that don't have one mentioned (stripper, sisters, brian, psycho, band, etc.).

As mentioned before people are more than invited to play multiple characters. So if you wanted to play a Sire and their childe. You could pitch it to me :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Though if one does multiple characters, I wouldn't blame them if they have one main characters and a few cameo type characters. (e.g. if they have 1 or 2 extra, they may only appear in crucial events or sporadically)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This project is going to be a whiles underway, so if anyone has some ideas. Throw em at me or here in the thread (Ive talked to one person so far). And if theres interest, hopefully we can work out a very dynamic story - where characters are really well-adjusted to fit in with the climate/plot.

Egos on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you do multiple characters per player, I suggest you do the Dark Sun thing, where each inactive character receives half of the experience gained by the played character. Don't round, either; just track the 1/2 XP. Otherwise unplayed characters will either be too good or not good enough, unless you only award even amounts of XP each session.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Otherwise unplayed characters will either be too good or not good enough, unless you only award even amounts of XP each session.

The later was the plan, but I look into Dark Sun and see how they handled it. thanks for the suggestion 8-)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just an update for those few that are interested. I'm working on the various plot points and such at the moment, as well as more detailed histories of characters. But its been tough balancing it with course work. So it may still be a while. But things of note

1. If you don't have the VII sourcebook that isn't a biggie, you can still be a member of a different clan and we can figure out how you joined up. If you have any of the bloodline (e.g. bloodlines:the hidden)books feel free to pick a bloodline from them.

2. After some discussion, multiple characters are out. So if you do want to play - only one. (yippie).

Egos on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been snatching up nWoD books like candy lately, so I'd probably be interested in jumping in on this.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm interested. I'll start working on a character concept.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If you guys want to play another clan member that joined up with The VII. Basically any of the npcs above could have taken you in.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alright, Egos, I've got the VII book and I'll be looking it over. Busy week this week, but I'll get you a concept as soon as I can.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't have a sheet done yet.

But I will. Oh, will I ever have a sheet done.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I may actually switch the character idea I had for this game. I had 3 characters drawn up anyway, so it shouldn't be a major issue.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Indeed that is no problemo . I'll have a preliminary plot done soon, and we can incorporate everyone's character whenever I get the sheets in .

If its of any consequence, the ex-Hunters are likely to be ex-Project Valkyrie members.
    teaser- expect a guest appearance by the Ashwood Abbey :twisted:

Egos on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So is this PbP, IRC, or what?

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At the moment it appears its going to be pBp.

I'm not opposed to IRC, but am of the mind that some players wouldn't be able to make it due to busy schedules.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    JC brought this up in chat and ITT MS mentioned it on our phalla proboards, and figured it might be a good time to talk about whats going on. I'm generally very busy with school. And I want this to be very epic. So I don't want to miss any details. It may be a while before this gets up.

But if people have characters already planned (which some might)- I might be able to add some story touches. So pm me if anyone has some.
    This may or may not happen. But since I'm a fan of drawing and in art school(I can use the practice)- I might end up drawing some of the npcs. If people want one of their pc just let me know... Can't promise anything in terms of quality though :) but hey its something

Egos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah, I'm glad this got bumped, I gotta finish up reading the corebook and roll you a bloodsucka.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png