As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shutup and Let Me [PHOTO]

• Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like the light painting shot a lot, especially the way the face looks more like a skull.

Chanced upon an aquarium today and decided to jump on the bandwagon:

dsc00482qg0.jpg

dsc00532be0.jpg

EDIT: Goddamn colour profiles.

sonictk on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3082438541_f1ffd21f78.jpg

i like this one

Sueve on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3089861795_e058cef403_b.jpg

3090697028_31000fcdfe_b.jpg

those cat photos are nice, i like the light

Jives on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jives, I like the first one, but I would like it a lot better if it didn't have the twig in front of the other twigs on the right side (the one that is out of focus, basically). I also think you could crop it a little better so the leaf on the right side and twig in the lower left corner wouldn't be in it. Just my two cents, I really like the picture anyway.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Guys, this seems to be a good price but I don't know if it's just silly to even consider:
    http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-0-20X-Professional-Super-Fisheye/dp/B001K5UQIA/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1228685619&sr=1-62

Should I go for it? Does anyone have any experience owning a fisheye thing like that? Will the image quality suck because it's an adapter? I'd be connecting it to a Canon 50mm f/1.8, if that helps.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DTylerDTyler Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I say go for it.

It's not going to be as sharp as a real fisheye, but I personally don't use fisheye very much at all to warrant upgrading and find that with a little resizing, few will be able to tell the difference.

DTyler on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    hmm. The lens it's going to go on IS pretty sharp, too

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DTylerDTyler Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    go for it :)

Here's another way to think of it: If you REALLY end up loving fisheye and find all kinds of good uses for it, then cut your teeth with the screw on adapter and then buy the true fisheye.

The nifty fifty is HELLA sharp - I think it's going to look fine

DTyler on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My Cats!!! (shutup - you know you love kittens)

Misha
    ]

that is my dog's name! :x

Projeck on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Projeck wrote: »
    My Cats!!! (shutup - you know you love kittens)

Misha
    ]

that is my dog's name! :x

Well, dogs aren't very original ...

;-)

erisian pope on
  • Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just a quick shot today while doing some "man on the street" work for my newspaper. This guy wanted a "pimp ass" picture, so I just did this one up and sent it to him.

3091972068_a90afe18dc_o.jpg

and although not quite as bad as shooting cats, its still pretty cheese. it's a squirrel. edited for lower contrast.

3092544298_6feddd75fe_o.jpg

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oh man that squirrel shot is brilliant. I'd prefer to get a larger dof though. What's the background, though? Was this just shot randomly or actually set up or something?

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    oh man that squirrel shot is brilliant. I'd prefer to get a larger dof though. What's the background, though? Was this just shot randomly or actually set up or something?

The squirrel was just chillin in the tree so I just took a few minutes to sneak under it and let it regain its "trust factor" with me. Eventually it went back to eating the berries so I grabbed the shot. I wish I had gotten a larger dof though, it was a split second shot and it ran away once I hit the shutter. I didn't realise I was shooting wide open, as I had been shooting the birds with f/4. Oh well. The background is just the sky.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm pretty sure this is one of the best pictures I've ever taken:

3092005098_b4771f999b_o.jpg

And here's the baby:

3092005136_aa1b3327eb.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    that lion kicks ass and takes names

Projeck on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bravo Anable. The DoF on that first shot is spot on perfect. Composition is good too. Something about that baby isn't really striking me though. I'm not sure whether it's because the colour/contrast/something seems a bit flat, or that the composition isn't anything special.

How'd you manage such good (what I assume are) zoo shots? Usually there's awful plexiglass, tons of grating and fencing, or some silly tourist in the way.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cycophant wrote: »
    Bravo Anable. The DoF on that first shot is spot on perfect. Composition is good too. Something about that baby isn't really striking me though. I'm not sure whether it's because the colour/contrast/something seems a bit flat, or that the composition isn't anything special.

How'd you manage such good (what I assume are) zoo shots? Usually there's awful plexiglass, tons of grating and fencing, or some silly tourist in the way.

The second picture is through plexiglass, I stood on a bench to overcome a fence, and it's the middle of December so no one's at the zoo. :P

anable on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cycophant wrote: »
    It is an awesome shot, but there is still some zoo nonsense keeping it out of National Geographic. That manmade, rope bridge in the background sort of distracts me and makes me feel cynical. The lion itself is badass, though. That lion has eaten a zookeeper in the past 24 hours, you can see it on his face. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    The lion itself is badass, though. That lion has eaten a zookeeper in the past 24 hours, you can see it on his face. :P

Apparently he had been eating a bird he caught earlier that day.

anable on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    anable wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    The lion itself is badass, though. That lion has eaten a zookeeper in the past 24 hours, you can see it on his face. :P
    Apparently he had been eating a bird he caught earlier that day.
    Well, sure, that's what the tell the guests. ;P

gilrain on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Squabman wrote: »
    Just a quick shot today while doing some "man on the street" work for my newspaper. This guy wanted a "pimp ass" picture, so I just did this one up and sent it to him.

3091972068_a90afe18dc_o.jpgand although not quite as bad as shooting cats, its still pretty cheese. it's a squirrel.3091131971_fb599a1b92_o.jpg[IMG][/img]

Man screw the squirrel that portrait is awesome. I would tone down the saturation on the hat just a tad. The edge of it on the left side of his head looks very odd and out of place with it that punchy.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Squabman wrote: »

3091972068_a90afe18dc_o.jpgand although not quite as bad as shooting cats, its still pretty cheese. it's a squirrel.3091131971_fb599a1b92_o.jpg[IMG][/img]

Man screw the squirrel that portrait is awesome. I would tone down the saturation on the hat just a tad. The edge of it on the left side of his head looks very odd and out of place with it that punchy.

I thought about that when I first did it, but I decided that this would be my crack at a "modern selective color", so I wanted the blue to stand out.

The version I gave to the guy to print is much less saturated.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    anable: love the lion shot, but I agree with the comment that the background doesn't do it justice.

squabman: love both those shots but I think you need less contrast on both (less on the blue on the portrait and less on everything on the squirrel).

crow: surely everything in our control (light, composition, etc.) are artificial ways of making a photo more exciting?

I went to Scotland for the weekend. The weather was awful, and the light rarely good, but I still managed to get some stuff I'm happy with;

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    t Jake! The bright white sky works in the second one, but I don't quite like how the mountains are overblown in those other shots. It distracts me.

t anable: i saved the picture of that lion in my "oy vey, a fancy picture!"-folder. :^:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think the first and third are the strongest shots, by far. They almost make me melancholy.

gilrain on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really like all of them except the first one. Very nice use of lines and curves.

needOptic on
  • Options
    BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christmas time!

christmascowboy.jpg

Box on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Whoa. Holy similar color palettes, Batman!

IMG_7157.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Box wrote: »
    Christmas time!

christmascowboy.jpg
    Oh god XD I approve

Though, what's going in the shadows on the right side? You lost a lot of detail there, huh?

Aldo on
  • Options
    BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, that side wasn't as well lit. I should have scooted over a few of the christmas lights to fill in that spot. I hadn't been bugged by it before, but now that you mention it, that whole 1/3 to the right just looks awful.

Box on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cheers guys, good to see I can produce a set of photos that nobody agrees on ;).

Box: maybe crop the whole right half off?

Jake! on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anable: The shot of the King is mighty fine.

Jake!: 2&4 are lovely, I'm with nO: love the lines. I do really love the range of contrast. How it goes from really high contrast in the bottom of the pics and moves to less and less because of the clouds/fog.
    *Edit: oooo just noticed the kids in #3, I like it more now haha.

Squab: Both those shots are excellent, I'm going to disagree with the others on the contrast and blue though; I really like the tone/mood of the portrait. I would go as far to say you got the "pimp ass" shot fo sho.

Pope: you and your pretty bokeh.

Box: Cool shot, but it looks like you boosted the contrast and saturation a little much (shadows that aldo pointed out)?

3093292402_4190a73150.jpg
    Click for largey.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That is some exquisitely exposed snow and sky. No exif - is it a single exposure? If so, can you post your exif?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That is some exquisitely exposed snow and sky. No exif - is it a single exposure? If so, can you post your exif?

It is a single exposure. I just checked; if you click to the larger image you can get the exif there I think. And thanks pope! :D

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It is a single exposure. I just checked; if you click to the larger image you can get the exif there I think. And thanks pope! :D
    Flickr wrote:
    This page is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Flickr wrote:
    This page is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.

Aw dang. Sorry bout that, forgot I changed my settings a while back.
    3093292402_e14cbae74f_o.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, exif and LITTLE PEOPLE!

Awesome! Thanks.

If your orig is big enough, that would be pretty cool to print large and display in a large common room - guests might get a kick out of discovering the mountain-climbers.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Jake- Awesome shots, I pretty much like them all. It really astounds me how a simple white border (as opposed to a black one like I normally have) can have such a difference in mood for an image. I especially like how the change from snow to border is ambiguous in a few of the images. Great stuff all around.
    If your orig is big enough, that would be pretty cool to print large and display in a large common room - guests might get a kick out of discovering the mountain-climbers.

Yeah, that's an awesome detail that I didn't catch at first.

anable on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not as good as the stuff others have been posting, but I'll toss up a few I took yesterday.

Squirrel!
    img0441moddedresizedks5.jpg

Bush!
    img0384moddedresizedoi7.jpg

Different bush!
    img0385moddedresizedwu1.jpg

For better or worse, I was playing with having a very narrow DOF in the last two. I think it helped the second but hurt the first, though I like them both.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Prosp - I would like that with a closer crop to the land. Basically a 2x1. (Like a nice cityscape panorama)

Brilliant little cafe in Chicago:

IMG_4864.jpg

I mean... the place is called.... well, PIE!

IMG_4868.jpg

needOptic on
This discussion has been closed.