As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D]Unearthed Arcana variants

ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
I'm currently playing in a 5th level starting Gestalt campeign with other Unearthed Arcana elements.

I find the Gestalt system to be really interesting, but there are other things being used like Contacts, Reputation, Flaws, and Traits.

What do you guys think of the spicing up variants Unearthed Arcana presents?

Clawshrimpy on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like the options they present for tailor-made settings, and for my own DND campaigns I like to pick things off of the various Bloodline and elemental races options.

I also like Power Points (but I use Hero Points from WOWd20 instead) - I'm a fan of the spellpoint system (for use in my WOWd20 game).

Traits and Flaws can be pretty nifty, too, but they can also be very powerful if not considered carefully by the DM.

I don't like the gestalt classes, but I could understand if you had like 2 people in the party.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I like the options they present for tailor-made settings, and for my own DND campaigns I like to pick things off of the various Bloodline and elemental races options.

I also like Power Points (but I use Hero Points from WOWd20 instead) - I'm a fan of the spellpoint system (for use in my WOWd20 game).

Traits and Flaws can be pretty nifty, too, but they can also be very powerful if not considered carefully by the DM.

I don't like the gestalt classes, but I could understand if you had like 2 people in the party.

Our DM is conterbalancing Gestalt to the point that some of the Humanoid Baddies we will face, will also be Gestalt Characters, as well as giving us scaled encounters.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Our DM is conterbalancing Gestalt to the point that some of the Humanoid Baddies we will face, will also be Gestalt Characters, as well as giving us scaled encounters.

It's a flavor issue that I don't like, not a balance issue.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

If you are going to allow traits and flaws you might as well just allow your characters to get two bonus feats. Flaws and traits are essentialy non-penalties, because you always end up taking them in areas you dont need.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Goumindong wrote:

If you are going to allow traits and flaws you might as well just allow your characters to get two bonus feats. Flaws and traits are essentialy non-penalties, because you always end up taking them in areas you dont need.
    Hence careful consideration by the GM. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Our GM seems to really know what he's doing, though.

Clawshrimpy on