As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem with my SERRAM Comic

vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
Hi guys,
This is the Page 14 for my webcomic called SERRAM.
SERRAM_Pg_14.jpg
Usually I try to update it twice a week but after this I plan to just add one page per week so I can have more time to study on how to improve my comic.

My current problem is why when I draw the comic in A4 size it looks quite good and I'm happy to see it on paper. But when I scan and convert it to digital image, it looks quite sloppy and not so good compare with the one on paper. Is there any technique that I can learn to improve the quality of the image?

Thank you in advanced.

vrembanner.gif
vrempire on

• Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So are they fighting in the central loading hub of the Matrix? Because that's the only real reasoning I can come up with for there to not be any sort of a background in these panels.

Practice with perspective and positioning of your panel elements, including characters, props and backgrounds (even though you have none of the latter). Never crop a character with the panel border when you've got ample space to show him full-body. Learn foreshortening before you try to tackle it in comic form... it's one of those things that is noticeable when it's done incorrectly. The one guy looks like he's firing a shotgun in panel one, but later switches to a pistol in the last two.

I will say, though, you're the first person I've ever seen to use "TIT" as a sound effect.

I know you just wanted scanning advice, but honestly you need much more than that, since no amount of digital trickery will fix the foundation you've laid out here.

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So are they fighting in the central loading hub of the Matrix? Because that's the only real reasoning I can come up with for there to not be any sort of a background in these panels.

Practice with perspective and positioning of your panel elements, including characters, props and backgrounds (even though you have none of the latter). Never crop a character with the panel border when you've got ample space to show him full-body. Learn foreshortening before you try to tackle it in comic form... it's one of those things that is noticeable when it's done incorrectly. The one guy looks like he's firing a shotgun in panel one, but later switches to a pistol in the last two.

I will say, though, you're the first person I've ever seen to use "TIT" as a sound effect.

I know you just wanted scanning advice, but honestly you need much more than that, since no amount of digital trickery will fix the foundation you've laid out here.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    go to the tutorial thread, download Loomis and practice. Your perspective needs some work.

I'd also agree that your sound effects are a little... well yeah.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Your scans not coming out properly isn't the only problem with your comic. Apart from the art, you seriously need to work on your writing.

A WHOLE FUCKING LOT. It is literally painful to read your comic. It's like everybody's missing most of their frontal lobes, ESPECIALLY the scientists. Nothing makes sense in your comic, it's like it takes place in a universe that has thrown causality completely out of the window, set it on fire and pissed on its remains.

It is insanely badly written and you need to work on this for the love of god and all that is holy.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Your scans not coming out properly isn't the only problem with your comic. Apart from the art, you seriously need to wrok on your writing.

A WHOLE FUCKING LOT. It is literally painful to read your comic. It's like everybody's missing most of their frontal lobes, ESPECIALLY the scientists. Nothing makes sense in your comic, it's like it takes place in a universe that has thrown causality completely out of the window, set it on fire and pissed on its remains.

It is insanely badly written and you need to work on this for the love of god and all that is holy.

Normally I'd say Spectre was being a bit harsh here, but I'm actually going to have to almost totally agree. There is an inexplicable use (or over-use) of abnormal spelling (e.g. 'rite' for 'right') that makes no sense. The grammar is even way off...is English not your first language?

I'm honestly asking, not trying to be insulting. I get the distinct feeling you're either very young (something like 10-11) and sort of imitating big-boy speak, or that you're not a native speaker (non-native speakers of any language usually have a hard time adopting slang and spelling conventions).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    It is literally painful...

Be careful, throwin' that word around... ;)

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oh God, it's like the animal is having sex with him!

EDIT

LITERALY!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    berthatesit.jpg

multimoog on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Eye-close.jpg

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I... I don't...

I don't like that man.

multimoog on
  • Options
    HarryFourHarryFour Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Your sound effects made me laugh....pretty sure it was unintentional though, keep working at it!

HarryFour on
    Liberty or death, mates. Liberty or death....
  • Options
    evanismynameevanismyname Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Even though it's probably unintentional, I found the writing/dialogue in the page before this one to be hilarious.

"HOW ABOUT IF I ACCIDENTALLY SHOT THE GUY?? DAMN!!"

"THE LAST TIME I USE THIS GUN IS TWO YEARS AGO, AND THAT'S ONLY IN THE TRAINING!!!"

"I'M ALMOST DIE HERE"

"AAHH!! I'VE TO TAKE RISK!! JUST DO IT!!"

[edit] actually the whole comic seems to have this unintentional hilarity to it. Something about the extreme reactions and ridiculous dialogue.

evanismyname on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    It is literally painful...

Be careful, throwin' that word around... ;)
    Since pain is a neural response, it could literally be causing him pain. It's not like it's literally tearing his eyes out or something.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    At all costs you must continue this comic without changing a single thing.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    evanismynameevanismyname Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I agree. Don't change anything because, actually, its perfect the way it is.

[edit] "OH SHIT!! I FEEL LIKE MY SHIT IS GOING OUT NOW!!"

evanismyname on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Even though it's probably unintentional, I found the writing/dialogue in the page before this one to be hilarious.

"THE LAST TIME I USE THIS GUN IS TWO YEARS AGO, AND THAT'S ONLY IN THE TRAINING!!!"

"I'M ALMOST DIE HERE"

[edit] actually the whole comic seems to have this unintentional hilarity to it. Something about the extreme reactions and ridiculous dialogue.

OH SHIT!! IT FEELS LIKE MY SHIT IS GOING OUT NOW!!

:lol:

EDIT: DAMN YOU EVAN.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

"I'M ALMOST DIE HERE"

OH SHIT!! IT FEELS LIKE MY SHIT IS GOING OUT NOW!!

EDIT: DAMN YOU EVAN.

Oh fuck all of you, now I have to actually read through this shit...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Probably not a good thing when the comic that comes closest to yours in my mind is Super Mega.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Alright I really think more people should be supporting this comic.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    WHAT DA HEAVEN!!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Alright I really think more people should be supporting this comic.

besteverthingyd2.jpg

I would, but I admit I am afraid of the legal consequences of reproducing images of SERRAM which are the TRADEMARK and COPYRIGHT of VREMPIRE.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This is all I have to say:

ZOMG, NO WAI!

That was all I had to say.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    *WOORGHH!!!*
    *PRANG!!!*
    *PAPP!!*
    *NGIIUUNGG!!*

You sir, just made my day. Whether it was intentional or not, I laughed... hard. This page is Bookmark'd :D

PS. It almost reminds me of All Your Base at times :P

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This comic is fucking AWESOME! It's comedy value is off the charts!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    besteverthingyd2.jpg

Fandom gone wrong XD

But I have to say, I've seen worse. If you, Serram, would let somebody else translate your text and practiced a lot more perspective and structures your comic surely will improve.
    What you probably noticed yourself is that it was not such a good idea to add this copyright-stuff ^^'

edit: sorry, if I'm kind of a spoilsport here ^^'

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Oh My God!! sooo many input..
    thanks a lot guys....yeahhhh..instead of working twice harder to improve my work...it seems now that i need it ten times more...

Yearhh...English is not my first language...it is a second language and mostly they do not speak English frequently in their everyday life...including me :D

well, I think I will remove those copyright stuff for a while..maybe if I can print it in the hardcopy next year, then I will add it as other usual printed comic book...

I'll try to improve in those weak area of mine...
    Firstly, I will try to look out on the scanning tutorial..
    :)

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    "...THEN I CAN GO ENJOY MY PEACEFUL HOLIDAY!! WHAT DA HEAVEN!!"

Awesome.

And I never thought I'd see the word "right" spelt "RITE" and used seriously or out of the context of ORLY!?

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    I am sold! Best Webcomic ever made!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    theamazingwallytheamazingwally Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    Im my experience one of the first things you need to do before scanning a white sheet of paper is to be sure to clean the glass scanner plate
    it may look clean but dust and such will build on the glass ( yes even when the lid is shut ) and when you scan it will pick up all of those spots.
    second you may not notice it on the sheet by eye but while drawing your hands my brush up against what youve put down so far and leave a very faint smuge that you wont be able to see easily but the scanner eye will pick it up
    you might want to draw out loosely, tighten your pencils and then transfer to a fresh sheet of paper before scanning.
    that should help somewhat.

theamazingwally on
    -Oh, youve GOT to be f***king kidding me!
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TIT :D

The perspective is very off, and that makes it hard to follow. :/

EDIT: Disregard that

It's the lack of background that throws me off. Perspective is alright.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    maybe if I can print it in the hardcopy next year,
    You have yourself your first customer! :D

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I've been telling friends about this thing and they seem to be digging it. Of course I have to preface it with "almost-awful art" and "badly translated Nintendo game dialogue".

But I can only imagine this guy's site has been getting hits like crazy for the past couple days.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Well as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity :D

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    generatedgenerated Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    no, seriously. it sucks. you need a background, a dictionary, a thesaurus, and a lesson in perspective. i don't know what the fuck is going on at all. the last frame, where that guy with the mustache (the mustache makes me laugh) it looks like he's sort of kneeling in the sky and the other guy is floating upward.

generated on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    No! Nono, nonono. This is my NEW FAVORITE webcomic. It is perfect and wonderful.

I am a gay, and it is my queer boyfriend lover that I kiss.

EDIT - Also, KUNG!! KUNG!! KUNG!!

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    you need a background, a dictionary, a thesaurus, and a lesson in perspective.
    Nah dude, who needs that kinda stuff. That's just his style... style, man! :P

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Sir PeechizworthSir Peechizworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Barfing dogs?

"...This is just a playing toy for me."

And i thought furbie was a shitty toy...

Sir Peechizworth on
    If it don't Blam, we don't want it.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hi guys,
    thanks a lot for your comment and critics and suggestion.

theamazingwally,
    thank you for the tips. my problem on scanning is a little bit more on the
    line. If I see it on the paper, the line is sooo thin (0.1). But when in digital, it looks a little bit fatter (seems like the ink 'spread').

Anyway, this is the latest page. For the moment, I try to publish it once a week (might be each Thursday). Hope my English is a little bit okey this time although not 100% perfect...
    SERRAM_Pg_15.jpg

Enjoy!! And comments are welcomed. Thank you for all your support
    :)

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    :o
    Roger and Out! Glorious!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BigJKOBigJKO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The expression on the man with his hand eaten as he points to the his friend is priceless. And holy mother.. "Although I'm just a guard, I still need the respect as a human being." Do I smell character development?!!

BigJKO on