As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I go about obtaining an internship?

histronichistronic Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,
I'm a junior in college and I'm studying to be a Physical Therapist. In order to get into any medical schools, I need to have at least 100 hours of practice following or interning with a physical therapist. I live in Wilmington, North Carolina if that helps any. This town has a high demand for physical therapists at the moment, and I've never done anything like this before, so I would really appreciate any help and advice anyone can give!

Thanks in advance!

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
PSN: rlinkmanl
histronic on

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Well, I don't know anything about specific opportunities in NC, but a really good resource for this is probably your adviser with the college. Many schools with such programs have internships you can set up/compete for through the school, and this might be a good place to start. If that doesn't turn up anything, they may at least be able to point you in the right direction for your area.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Another sleeper for finding internships (and jobs in general) is craigslist. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of healthcare internships in Wilmington, NC, but you could always try contacting some of these places directly.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Try making visits to places you might be interested in. I'm in a different industry than you (finance) but I just began making appointments and visiting places I was interested in. Now I'm going for my final interview wednesday at Edward Jones.

Shogun on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Prepare a resume with a cover letter.

Ask any instructors about possible internship opportunities, or places you should search.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Visit your college's career advising department. They should help you with everything, from finding a place, to making a resume and cover letter, to getting credit for the internship. My career advisor did a wonderful job helping me. I needed an internship to graduate last year, and I had only two weeks to find one before the last term started. With their help I got the first one I applied at, which was right across the street from my apartment. The career advisor is your friend as long as you take their advice.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg