As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King's Bounty: The Legend. Fantasy SRPG's just like the good 'ol days.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like most people have discovered this anyways, but cannon fodder is SO key to completing AR...Royal Thorns, as has been said, are "ok" ranged, but man they can keep churning out. (and then the thorns can keep churning themselves...)

I learned that lesson from the computer of all places. I got frustrated with a battle, and said "hell lets see what the computer can do" Ends up the thorns start making more thorns on dead stacks, then start making more thorns on their OWN dead stacks. AI ends up killing the exact same thorns for 15 turns while my dragon and a couple of other ranged units beats the crap out of them.

Both the dragon and the box of rage are great ideas...the box amusing, and the dragon just cool.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My favourite thing from the box of rage in The Legend is the giant spiky ice ball. It doesn't do much damage, but it sure keeps the other army busy while my archers plink away at them and my melee troops advance.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haven't got the spikey ice ball yet :( The fish wave is great, especially at the start when they're all clustered. The spikey rock monster is fun "GAAAH KILL ALL MAGES" :)
    Have also found the shaman totems really useful, they either distract the enemy or help out with healing damage. The gobbo catapults are lethal to the gremlin towers as well :) I am starting to feel pretty awesome again, which probably means it is time to go to the next area and get pwnzed again :(

Leinna on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you get a long runup on the ice ball, it can rack up some pretty hefty damage. I'm kind of finding the first two rage dudes a bit useless now that I have the latter two.

My current army lineup:
    • Evil beholders: Their ranged attack seems pretty decent, and their hypnotism ability occasionally dishes out some big damage.
    • Horsemen: I ran out of griffins at that easily accessible place and couldn't be bothered going to the island every time I need more, so I'm now trying horsemen out as my fast flanking units. Also, I just noticed "horsemen" looks like "horse semen" which is a little disturbing.
    • Polar bears: Duh.
    • Dwarven cannoneers: The salvo ability packs a punch and is reloadable, and they do quite a bit of damage with their regular shots.
    • Royal snakes: So good. The strike ability is incredibly effective. Plus, I ignored my wife and she turned back into a frog, so now the snakes do +100% damage. My boots give them +1 movement as well, so they're now fast, high-damage units that can often attack without retaliation. It's just a pity I have to travel all the way through the swamp and back whenever I need more. I just landed in the elfy-type area; are there any royal snake sources there?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Don't forget that you can use the 2 extra army slots to hold reserves of your units in excess of your actual leadership capacity.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scratch that last question, it was answered at the first house I entered. :P

Also, I don't have the reserve ability yet. I've been focusing most of my runes on becoming a magical powerhouse.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bloody frog wife.

Had two kids with her. She then pipes up saying "I want another one!", so we did, and then "Another one!" - so all her item slots are filled with newborns (this is by day 5 game time). Then, she turns into a frog because I'm not paying enough attention to her! It's hard, the only dialog options I have with her now are "I want to divorce you" and "I don't have time to talk right now".

Fortunately she's easy to turn back!

I far prefer the +intellect :) Guess because I don't use snakes!

Mr Fuzzbutt - The available troops seem to be quite random - are there any guarantees?

Leinna on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divorce her ;)

Most of the troops are very very random, there are very few guarantees and they revolve around the starting castle and a couple of other key points, otherwise you don't know if you're getting snakes, dragonflies, or what

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pirate wife is better than frog wife, anyway. Mmm, redhead.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oooh, okay. Didn't realise how random stuff is.

Like what happens so often to people in real life, I'm really regretting having a child. It takes up one of the wife's item slots which could be used for something better, and I can't ditch the little bastard.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have 2 complains about this game.
    1) The fonts are so small it bleeds my eyes.
    2) It needs an instant combat feature.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oooh, okay. Didn't realise how random stuff is.

Like what happens so often to people in real life, I'm really regretting having a child. It takes up one of the wife's item slots which could be used for something better, and I can't ditch the little bastard.

Yeah, the kids are really useless 99% of the time since like most everything else in the game... they're completely random. You might end up with something awesome or something like +scrolls. Thankfully, this mechanic is gone in AP.

They put an instant combat feature in AP if you're much stronger than your enemy (which rarely happens unless you're a warrior playing on normal/easy) but you basically never want to use it. With the "achievements" (forgot what they're actually called) it's better to farm weak battles for some easy "rank ups" and such.

aBlank on
  • Options
    zellychanzellychan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wheee having more fun with this game than I really expected to. Favorite odd hobby is luring/distracting guard enemies and then running around to steal their flags/money/chests.

Current lineup:

-Ancient Bears (just found Polar Bears, probably switch out)
    -Dwarf Cannoneers
    -Green Dragons (kinda torn between dragons and giants. Dragons movement so much better, but giants got the def and hp)
    -Evil Beholders
    -Horsemen
    Also, I just noticed "horsemen" looks like "horse semen" which is a little disturbing.
    More like "hor semen", which phonetically I'm not sure is better or worse.

I can't want to get to demons in my army, they were kicking my ass down in the mines.

zellychan on
    "I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Celebrity Jeopardy wants to have a talk with you folks...

Syphyre on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just beat my first boss, the a giant spider on Dersu. The battle took awhile, but it isn't too hard if you're capable of dealing with 600-1200 spiders in 3 stacks per round. Trolls were my MVP, by the end of the battle their attack had increased to ~240, and they were dishing out about 1700 damage per round, plus an extra 1200 from Guardian Angel. Apart from hitting very hard with stacks of big critters, I flooded the battlefield with totems and summons to limit where the giant spider could spawn its little reinforcements. Took an awful long while, but the rewards were worth it.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That battle was where I discovered the value of Ghost Blade. Slightly weaker than other direct attack spells, but completely disregards defence. Good for things like knights as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A side note...if you run across them, Cyclops are absolutely amazing in the first part of the game. They are the tank, and take damage like no one's business.

However once you start getting a few other better units (4th island+) Cyclops drop, BIG time. Why? Can't heal or res them!

Syphyre on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm still using Cyclops. While I'd love to replace them, their sniper trait is SO GOOD.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Syphyre wrote: »
    A side note...if you run across them, Cyclops are absolutely amazing in the first part of the game. They are the tank, and take damage like no one's business.

However once you start getting a few other better units (4th island+) Cyclops drop, BIG time. Why? Can't heal or res them!

That's my biggest problem with some of the dragons. Awesome power, but magic immune so you can't buff them, heal them, or res them. Although the Rage Box spells work on them, so stuff like the drone (or whatever it's called) that hovers over the battlefield can heal them.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Have just found some giants (7 of them) - can only have 4 due to my leadership, but at last I'm not losing troops every single battle! They are just ... sooooooo slow :(

When people level up, do they pick leadership or stats?

Leinna on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Depends what I need more. If it's offering me mana, for instance, and I tend to run low on mana in most battles, I take it. Otherwise, I'd go for leadership.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Off to elf-land now. And I was just getting used to my dwarf army :( The basic dwarves have more hp, hit harder, have more armour... and they're all happy because my regalia is an ale barrel :) Also using alchemists, cannoneers and giants (the latter also count as 'dwarf' O.o). The final slot is whatever I feel like - currently priests who are getting wtfpwnzed by everything we encounter :(

At level 17 now, leadership sitting at 9,000 :S Is that ok?

Leinna on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just going through AP and just passed level 18 Warrior. Got really lucky a few levels ago and found 3 Black Dragons for sale and they've been carrying my army ever since (well, 'helping in a huge way' since I can use them to stall forces because their defence and HP is just gigantic). I like how they function exactly the same way as they did in HoMM2/3.
    I did the pally in 'The Legend' and was having trouble here with the warrior, but that Might skill they get where they have a 'minimum' rage is an absolute godsend. Going into a fight with 20 rage already stockpiled is like the character has been supercharged.

This game is really bad when you're 'just' off a level up and it's 11pm, yet you HAVE to scour all the islands looking for that last fight to do that'll will get you to ding.

Shutdown on
  • Options
    BaronVonNubBaronVonNub Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've completed both the original and Armoured Princess and I wholeheartedly approve of this thread.

The games are so good, only perhaps lacking an editor so we can create our own campaigns. But this is one of the only games I really enjoyed reading the text, it was very well translated.
    Just the right amount of difficulty aswell. I despise games where easy does not in fact mean easy, but here it's exactly what it says and hard is indeed hard.

I played AP through on normal and it was good times, I settled into my supreme build by the end of it, just like in the original. Black/red/green dragons (oh how I love the green's ability to give mana) and the 2 kinds of elven archer (yay snipers!).

Best bit:
    I didn't read the product features and when I found out I was given the ability to fly after I got one of the crystals it just sealed the deal on how awesome this game was.

I recommend King's Bounty all the time, what a game.

BaronVonNub on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just picked up AP, and enjoying it so far.
    What amazes me though is how terribly demanding this game is on your video card.
    I'm running an Nvidia 7950 GTX 512mb and getting overheated very quickly - trying to determine what exactly is killing it, since this is not Crysis, Oblivion, or the like. It's a freaking strategy game with simplistic model pieces!

Any advice on what the major culprit is would be appreciated (resolution? model detail? etc.)
    I'm not even running anti-aliasing, aniostropic filtering, or heavy shadows.

The framerate is fine, i'm not getting slowdowns, but the card just gets taxed very very quickly.
    Also: this is only for AP, I can indeed play games like Oblivion, Borderlands, etc. at max settings on the same resolution and not encounter this problem.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Generally shadows and anti-aliasing kill videocards more than anything. Turn your shadows completely off first, that may fix it right there (I'm assuming you have them on low from your statement) You can leave aniostropic filtering on, it usually doesn't eat up much cpu.

Have you updated your video drivers recently? Could be a culprit.

AP is absolutely beautiful though, isn't it. Colorful and vibrant, which is a big change from the more "real" games coming out lately.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Generally shadows and anti-aliasing kill videocards more than anything. Turn your shadows completely off first, that may fix it right there (I'm assuming you have them on low from your statement) You can leave aniostropic filtering on, it usually doesn't eat up much cpu.

Have you updated your video drivers recently? Could be a culprit.

AP is absolutely beautiful though, isn't it. Colorful and vibrant, which is a big change from the more "real" games coming out lately.

Drivers are completely up to date, and shadows are off.
    The only thing I can figure is high texture detail over many many polygons (like trees/environment) with full view distance and 1920x1200 resolution.
    Still odd that this game is the most demanding one i've ever encountered in terms of GPU.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just started playing this last week. Level 8 now and can go to the second part of the game. Still can't beat a lot of the early game quests/mobs though. Correction: Can't beat them without losing a single unit. I guess it's just my anal playstyle but it also serves to ramp the difficulty up on Normal.

I also just discovered I can upgrade spells and weapons. I think that might make things a lot easier...

Also, I get a lot of weird split second graphical glitches that I don't get on any other game. I wonder if it's that overheating thing mentioned above. It only happens in the overhead map, and never in battles. Or does this game hate alt-tabbing/dual monitors? I have a GTX 280.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone had any issues launching/running Armored Princess through Steam?I picked it up during the holiday sales, but when I try to launch it the program starts, and then immediately ends. I never even see it, it's just a very brief process in task manager.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It launches fine for me. If you're using Nvidia, try using 185.85. I think some people who were crashing on KB:TL had it fixed using that. Latest drivers may also help.

Dracil on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wish there was a way to look at fights you start through dialogue before you start them. I went to do a sidequest about a cursed kid in the graveyard, and I got pasted by 80 necromancers, tons of ghosts, and some vampires.

captaink on
  • Options
    zellychanzellychan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yea. You can sometimes, like if it's a enemy castle.

I got I think about 70% through the game and then suddenly it became a super grind....Ended up just cheating fantastically just because I wanted to finish the storyline.

I liked the game, but it was too long or something.

zellychan on
    "I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    King's Bounty Gold (which includes Armored Princess) is only $22.50 on Impulse this weekend.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nearing the end of KB:L I think (in Elven lands). I'm just running around with a single stack of Emerald Dragons with Invisibility and exploiting the system. Every 2 turns my dragons use an uncounterable ability, one of which restores mana. Then I just use rage draining to keep it up almost indefinitely. Glot's armor + Armageddon if I just want the battle to end quick. Yay for lossless battles.

Only problem are enemies with a higher initiative than mine. I may need to replace them with archdemons or something later.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I need some sources of troops in the pirate islands. Specifically, some heavy hitters. Attrition is slowly grinding down my good troops, and I'm using lots of gold on crappy pirates and stuff.

captaink on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So how close is this game to Heroes of Might and Magic?

I love HoMM but am tentative about this.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I never played HOMM but King's Bounty is really fun.

I've heard the basic concept is the same.

captaink on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heroes of Might & Magic (1) was sort of a sequel to King's Bounty (or spirtual successor or what have you). Somehow they both spun off into their own seperate series though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    So how close is this game to Heroes of Might and Magic?

I love HoMM but am tentative about this.

Major differences:
    A single hero, one of three classes.
    More quests, more interactive map stuff, more story
    Occasional boss fights
    No city building

Basically, King's Bounty is HOMM with about half the TBS stuff replaced with RPG stuff.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, if you want a pure HOMM clone (and improvement) go with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Xagarath on