As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Tight

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    James wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    This is my birthday present from a couple of friends.

noble2vq3.th.jpg

Mostly I'm quite glad that I'm concealing my advanced state of drunkenness quite well in that photo.

*ping*

I was going to make a joke about pinging Japan but instead i'll point out how much life and luster his hair has.

Happy Birthday.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, all the girls I date have such fucking annoying commitment issues.

Stand-up comedy has left me completely unprepared for this eventuality.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I did mention the free burritos right?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    The book love thread is a bit depressing. I dunno, I'm sort of scared by the thought that C.J. Cherryh changed someone's life.

I'm sort of scared by the thought that any work of fiction changed someone's life.

Freud changed a lot of lives.

YES I WENT THERE.

You get brownie points for not going with the obvious Bible joke.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oh, shaz, you fucking dumbass, closed form of arithmetic summation

thus sum = (n-1)*((1+n-1)/2)

duhhh

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The book love thread is a bit depressing. I dunno, I'm sort of scared by the thought that C.J. Cherryh changed someone's life.

I'm sort of scared by the thought that any work of fiction changed someone's life.

eh?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Dante had a pretty big impact on me.

I feel pretty confident claiming that he did not actually descend into Hell before climbing Mr. Purgatory and communing with God in Heaven.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, right, I'm trying to figure this out... the Big-Oh of this:
    If I have N people in a room all shake hands with each other, assuming only 2 people can shake hands at once:
    Then, let's see, it would take how many handshakes... so, lets see
    for example n=5

then i'd have these pairs
    1-2
    1-3
    1-4
    1-5

2-3
    2-4
    2-5

3-4
    3-5

4-5

so that's like 1+2+3+4 = 10 for n = 5
    so 6 would be 1+2+3+4+5+6 = 16 for n = 6
    23 for n = 7

which is a bit less than n^2/2
    so it would be O(N^2), correct??!?!

but then how might I explain how I got to this answer?!

Summation formulas?

Sum (from k=1 to n for k) = .5n(n+1) which is (n^2 + n)/2 which is O(n^2).

But you have from k=1 to n-1 so it'll be a little different.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    huhm but my method gives x=15 for 6 instead of 16, and 21 for 7 instead of 23

so I guess I was wrong

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Is Inquisitor around?

I am!

We are doing a metal version of Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know in the music cover thread, just wondering if you're interested in doing the bass.

James on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Freud changed a lot of lives.

YES I WENT THERE.

You get brownie points for not going with the obvious Bible joke.

Well.

Jung did too, if I wanted to go there.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is Inquisitor around?

I am!

We are doing a metal version of Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know in the music cover thread, just wondering if you're interested in doing the bass.

i'm gonna have to do my guitar bit on thursday, do you want to do the drums beforehand?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2008
    silly me, just gotta think harder

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I am interested, yes. I'm currently working on a project for that very thread so I don't know if I really have the time to commit to it though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

Qua?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »

eh?

Hmm?

Que?

Nes pas?

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Donde esta mis pantalones?

Feral on

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

Que?

Nes pas?

Watooni! *steals a droid*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

You've never had your imagination sparked by a work of fiction when you were younger? Never had your thought process challenged or your heart raked by a movie, tv show, book or anything? You accept all fiction with a polite smile and nod and consume and pass as if it as if it were bland iceberg lettuce?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Donde esta mis pantalones?

en la cocina de tu madre

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    this discussion of sums intrigues me

I will derive these mathematiques now

I will do this while I take my shower, and I will only turn the water off when I have discerned the meaning of all these things

it will probably end up being a cold shower

but I think better

under pressure

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Is Inquisitor around?

I am!

i'm gonna have to do my guitar bit on thursday, do you want to do the drums beforehand?

I'll see what I can do.

Inquisitor: So am I! :P

James on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

Que?

Nes pas?

n'est-ce pas?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

You've never had your imagination sparked by a work of fiction when you were younger? Never had your thought process challenged or your heart raked by a movie, tv show, book or anything? You accept all fiction with a polite smile and nod and consume and pass as if it as if it were bland iceberg lettuce?

Hey!

Iceberg lettuce is delicious.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well come friday or so I might have some time to look at it but till them I'm sort of booked.

Already had three people from that thread ask me to do bass stuff, but mainly it's school keeping me busy at the moment.

Ah, the joys of playing bass.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    this discussion of sums intrigues me

I will derive these mathematiques now

I will do this while I take my shower, and I will only turn the water off when I have discerned the meaning of all these things

it will probably end up being a cold shower

but I think better

under pressure
    Pushing down on me, pressing down on you!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

I'm a little scared by the thought that a work of fiction has not changed anyone's life.

If art doesn't actually affect people and make them think about life or the world around them, then it's just vapid, sensual entertainment

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Today is a busy busy day. Three hour class coming up. Abloo and woe.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well come friday or so I might have some time to look at it but till them I'm sort of booked.

Already had three people from that thread ask me to do bass stuff, but mainly it's school keeping me busy at the moment.

Ah, the joys of playing bass.

Turning into our own little session bassist, I see :P

James on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This is a nice droid and I agree with Evil, strangely enough.

But a very nice droid.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

I'm a little scared by the thought that a work of fiction has not changed anyone's life.

If art doesn't actually affect people and make them think about life or the world around them, then it's just vapid, sensual entertainment

What if all I'm looking for is entertainment?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

^
    |
    |
    |
    This!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

eh?

Hmm?

Don't matter, long as it changes someone. You soulless monster.

Wanna buy a droid, used to belong to feral, has foreign language modules!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Some douchebag in my economics of money and banking class, (after my professor said he thought it was an extreme measure to let Lehman fail, and that regulatory measures should have been used instead, but at the same time a part of him was glad to see the bank go down [because of the crazy risk they've been going into with other people's money]) and the douchebag goes and makes one point and then after that says, "And second, THAT'S JUST SICK that you would cheer for people losing their jobs! Many of these people have families to take care of, etc. etc." and the professor, who is a vocal black man, responded with "Don't try and pull that populist stuff with me, because you'll get smacked down." and proceeded to talk about people losing their houses in Ohio etc whatever, and the douche argued with him for a long time, saying increasingly douchey things, until someone raised their hand and was like "Can you take this to office hours?" because he had been wasting my time, along with all the other 50 or so people in the room... and after that, the kid turns to the room, and says "Thanks, I'll be here all year."

Jeez
    What is it with these kids

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CJ Cherryh changed my life

I tried to read one of her books, and then I decided I would never make that mistake again for the rest of my life.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Some douchebag in my economics of money and banking class, (after my professor said he thought it was an extreme measure to let Lehman fail, and that regulatory measures should have been used instead, but at the same time a part of him was glad to see the bank go down [because of the crazy risk they've been going into with other people's money]) and the douchebag goes and makes one point and then after that says, "And second, THAT'S JUST SICK that you would cheer for people losing their jobs! Many of these people have families to take care of, etc. etc." and the professor, who is a vocal black man, responded with "Don't try and pull that populist stuff with me, because you'll get smacked down." and proceeded to talk about people losing their houses in Ohio etc whatever, and the douche argued with him for a long time, saying increasingly douchey things, until someone raised their hand and was like "Can you take this to office hours?" because he had been wasting my time, along with all the other 50 or so people in the room... and after that, the kid turns to the room, and says "Thanks, I'll be here all year."

Jeez

Did he fucking say that. The professor?

Becuase I fucking love him so much for saying that he has a place amongst my heroes if he said that word for word. I'll make some room on the mantle.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

eh?

Hmm?

My attitude on fiction this thus: the intellectual ideas in any work of fiction could have been expressed with greater clarity and sophistication in a work of non-fiction. Consequently, while I would describe certain non-fiction works as life-changing, I find that fiction rarely has the potency to inspire me in the way that Eddy describes above.

Feral on

• Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Jeez
    Making a counter-point. Good. Being a douche, bad!!!!

All my economics professors just channel that into discussion boards and the like.

duallain on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

eh?

Hmm?

That's fine, and entertainment is necessary as well.

But it's important that there is art that goes beyond just entertainment, to provide challenge and insight, to provoke change, to make the audience grow as individuals.

Our culture is so incredibly bloated with entertainment, we are so obsessed with it, that it has become an industry of incredible proportions, one that is incestuous and cannibalistic and oroboric.

I made that word up.

There is plenty of entertainment and escapism; in fact, there is too much.

If art does not change people, then entertainment is all we have, and that is bad fucking news.

Evil Multifarious on
This discussion has been closed.