As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

• Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    damn, the leafs are looking pretty good tonight. very aggressive.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Proto wrote: »
    damn, the leafs are looking pretty good tonight. very aggressive.

Sorry, we don't mean to.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That was not a sharp Detroit team tonight. Oh well.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ugh, this Def Leopard shit is horrible. This is opening night, cut the music out and get to the next game already!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i'm actually pretty impressed with the two finalists for the new hockey night in canada song. Not too bad at all.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Flames are getting their asses handed to them by the Canucks. This almost makes up for Detroit losing to Toronto. Seriously, how do the defending champs lose to a self proclaimed bad team who is almost trying to be in last place. so lame.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    okay so for the first time in my life my family has cable and i've always loved hockey but never been able to watch anything but the playoffs- does ESPN usually show hockey or what channel?

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    okay so for the first time in my life my family has cable and i've always loved hockey but never been able to watch anything but the playoffs- does ESPN usually show hockey or what channel?

Versus is the national cable channel. Your local Fox Sports Net affiliate probably has the local team.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Flames are getting their asses handed to them by the Canucks. This almost makes up for Detroit losing to Toronto. Seriously, how do the defending champs lose to a self proclaimed bad team who is almost trying to be in last place. so lame.

Are you surprised? No matter what, the Flames were going to have a bad start. They always do.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

Are you surprised? No matter what, the Flames were going to have a bad start. They always do.

Good chance we take the Home Opener though, Regher will be back in the lineup with a new kid to play for 8-)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Its going to be a long year for the Flames if Kiprusof plays as badly as he did tonight all year.

Alex Burrows for Art Ross! :P

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Its going to be a long year for the Flames if Kiprusof plays as badly as he did tonight all year.

the Kipper is usually a slow starter, his first 15 games or so aren't so good.

Magnify that by the fact that he hates Keenan and you have a winner.

I really do hope the flames crash and burn, they have Keenan and Bertuzzi. Plus I'm from Edmonton, so the Flames can fuck right off.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

I really do hope the flames crash and burn, they have Keenan and Bertuzzi. Plus I'm from Edmonton, so the Flames can fuck right off.

Hey, were you around for the Oilers' golden years, Wunder?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Sadly, no. I was 3 years old the last time they won a Stanley cup.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Then you'll forgive me if I tell you to shut the hell up. :P The hubris of Edmonton in those days is the stuff of legends.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, the B's were able to escape from Colorado with a 5-4 win. It was a pretty sloppy game all the way around. I'm happy that the kids all contributed (Lucic, Wheeler, Kessel, and Krecji all had at least 1 point), and Bergeron looked real good (2 assists and several breakaways he got stoned on). If the B's can tighten up the D and Thomas can control his rebounds better, they might make some noise in the East this season, barring injury, of course.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I fell asleep when it was still 4-3. Fucking late games.

I liked what I saw though. The offense was way more into it than they were all last year. 4 goals given up would have been a sure loss last year. Good to see they score, which is what they sorely lacked last year.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Then you'll forgive me if I tell you to shut the hell up. :P The hubris of Edmonton in those days is the stuff of legends.

Hey, I'm always game for some good ole' Highway 2 rivalry. I've worn Oilers and Eskimos garb proudly in downtown Calgary during the stampede.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Capitals run for the Cup starts tonight.

Backstrom, Semin, Federov, Ovechkin, Nylander, Brashear, Theodore...

man, all those years of suck seem so far away now. =)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

It's a good thing they can probably score 4-5 goals a game, because you're going to have to win every game 5-4 with Theodore in net, especially with the style of game Washington plays.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Versus is the national cable channel. Your local Fox Sports Net affiliate probably has the local team.

awesome- milwaukee doesn't have an NHL team but yeah thanks.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It's a good thing they can probably score 4-5 goals a game, because you're going to have to win every game 5-4 with Theodore in net, especially with the style of game Washington plays.

Very true. Too true. Scary true.

I'm just excited to watch some offence. I think it was like 2005-6 when they went FOUR games without scoring a goal. It was beyond painful to watch those games.

I'm hoping we got early carrer Montreal Theodore, and not Colorado Theodore. It's still gonna be a year or two before Semin Varlimov, a great goalie in the system, is NHL ready.

That also makes 2 players within the Capitals organization with Semin in there name.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2008

awesome- milwaukee doesn't have an NHL team but yeah thanks.

If you get Fox Sports North or something, you might get Wild games.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Well, the B's were able to escape from Colorado with a 5-4 win. It was a pretty sloppy game all the way around. I'm happy that the kids all contributed (Lucic, Wheeler, Kessel, and Krecji all had at least 1 point), and Bergeron looked real good (2 assists and several breakaways he got stoned on). If the B's can tighten up the D and Thomas can control his rebounds better, they might make some noise in the East this season, barring injury, of course.

Yeah, it was a painful loss and Budaj... bleh.

I wanted to watch Lucic fight in person, even if he would have destroyed Lappy... ah well. :/

Funny side note, the Avs are 0-6 whenever me and a buddy go to games together. 6 more games to go this season, should be awesome.

Also! Free preview of Center Ice this week, at least if you have comcast.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alex Ovechkin pentaly shot in the 3rd? Tie game?

This is what hockey is all about.

EDIT: Nevermind, still tied =(

mxmarks on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I disagree 100%.

Penalty shots, and by extension, shoot outs, have nothing, nothing to do with the game of hockey. Hockey is a team sport, shoot-outs and penalty shots are goalie/shooter warm-up drills and they should never be used to effect the outcome of a game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I disagree 100%.

Penalty shots, and by extension, shoot outs, have nothing, nothing to do with the game of hockey. Hockey is a team sport, shoot-outs and penalty shots are goalie/shooter warm-up drills and they should never be used to effect the outcome of a game.

The NHL and the NHL Player's association disagree with you.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I disagree 100%.

Well, if a penalty shot is given to replace a breakaway it's effectively even. I'll agree with you on shootouts. It's probably only a matter of time until playoff games are decided by them too.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    It's probably only a matter of time until playoff games are decided by them too.

Never gonna happen.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I disagree 100%.

I agree with this, but I will say; If I am watching a game between two teams that I don't care about I will hope for a shootout, if nothing else, they are fun to watch.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »

I disagree 100%.

The NHL and the NHL Player's association disagree with you.

And I disagree with them.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I disagree 100%.

This is a ridiculous attitude, at least as it pertains to penalty shots. So you're saying its better to let people just trip anyone on a break-away and give them 2:00 minutes instead of calling penalty shots?

Do you want even less scoring? Also pro-sports is entertainment. Ties are not very entertaining.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I guess I did misspeak a little bit. I'll rephrase it.

I disagree 100%

Penatly shots, and by enxtension, shoot outs, have nothing, nothing, to do with the game of hockey. Hockey is a team sport, shoot-outs and penalty shots are goalie/shooter warm-up drills and shootouts should never be used to decide the outcome of the game.

Penalty shots still have nothing to do with the game of hockey, as it is a team sport, but they are a necessary evil. Someone fucked up? This is your punishment.

Shoot outs are like; Well you both did great, so here's your punishment.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lets go Flyers. Time to kick the Rags asses.

Before the game, please boo Palin. Thank you.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nothing would make me happier than seeing Palin be boo'd...and then having her mocked on TDS for it

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They definitely booed her. They were blasting the music so fucking loud to try and drown it out.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Yeah, it was a painful loss and Budaj... bleh.

I wanted to watch Lucic fight in person, even if he would have destroyed Lappy... ah well. :/

Funny side note, the Avs are 0-6 whenever me and a buddy go to games together. 6 more games to go this season, should be awesome.

Also! Free preview of Center Ice this week, at least if you have comcast.

I don't know if Budaj had an off night or what, but he looked awful out there.

Either way, I'm glad we got rid of Theo. Good luck Washington. May he be a better player for you.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Flyers are doing good. Not even mid way through the first and they are down 3-0. Isn't this the same way we started the year we were last in the NHL? Ugh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    bruins game is pretty good- or at least i want it to be since that's the only one i can see.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man, the Flyers finally got their legs and that game should have been tied. Richards hits a post which was the same place he scored his first goal. Good game all around, sucks the Flyers didn't win, but this game showed signs of things to come. Nitty played well in net after Biron was pulled.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
This discussion has been closed.