As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

• OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I understand what happened and why it happened that way. I guess I'm just worked up between that and my computer being terribly uncooperative for the last 4 hours.

Detroit looks like the best of the west to me and good luck the rest of the way. Should be an interesting next round regardless of who they end up with.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, you've got one tremendous goalie left and the Sharks if they play to their potential could give the Wings a fight, though I'm not sure they could win in Joe Louis while I'm pretty sure Detroit could take a game at the Shark Tank.

Beyond the top line the Ducks aren't too scary to me.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    saggio wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Price really should never have been put in this situation. Rushing a kid goaltender is usually a good way to ruin a top prospect. Why they disposed of Huet is beyond me.

Poor Cam Ward.

Sure, it works out well for rookie goalies occasionally. But very, very, rarely. For a while there it looked like Pittsburgh had ruined Fleury by rushing him.

And IRT Ward, there's slightly less pressure playing in Raleigh than in Montreal I think. Slightly.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, you've got one tremendous goalie left and the Sharks if they play to their potential could give the Wings a fight, though I'm not sure they could win in Joe Louis while I'm pretty sure Detroit could take a game at the Shark Tank.

Beyond the top line the Ducks aren't too scary to me.

Well, I guess you aren't secretly Joe Thornton then. :D

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apparently the Sharks feel that they played too hard last game so they dialed it back down to game 1 levels of lethargy.

tofu on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Heh.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know if it's my cable provider but this Vs. feeds keeps slowing down and skipping around every now and then. Its terrible.

Rei on
    edited April 2009
    Oof, Sharks. I guess the Wings get the Ducks.

enlightenedbum on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't even make up an excuse for that game. If the Sharks play that terribly they don't deserve to win this series.

What the hell happened to the team we started to see on Tuesday?

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited April 2009
    Look at it this way, at least it's not another dissapointing second round loss. :rotate:

tofu on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck the west ruining all my brackets. Just imagine that. The side of hockey that I don't get to see and hardly care to watch anyways ruins me with my lack of knowledge.

Burtletoy on
  • xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Sharks have me laughing so hard right now. So So hard.

xeroismygod on
    edited April 2009
    I've got tickets to Saturday's game too. I hope they at least make a game out of it.

Sevorak on
    edited April 2009
    I knew the sharks were going to lose when they did a close up of Nabby going into the locker room at the end of the 2nd. His eyes held defeat in them.

xeroismygod on
    edited April 2009
    We just don't want to get greedy with the trophies. Presidents' this year, Campbell Bowl next year, and then the Cup.

We're just being nice.

:cry:

Sevorak on
    edited April 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »
    We just don't want to get greedy with the trophies. Presidents' this year, Campbell Bowl next year, and then the Cup.

We're just being nice.

:lol:

xeroismygod on
    edited April 2009

We're just being nice.

:lol:

If we won all three we'd have to change our name to the Red Wings. And no one wants that.

Sevorak on
    edited April 2009
    Well its too late for me. I was introduced to hockey and played with the children of a family from Michigan. I am part of Detroits Coven. They got me at Age 6.

xeroismygod on
    edited April 2009
    I've got tickets to Saturday's game too. I hope they at least make a game out of it.

I tried to get some $40 tickets on ticketmaster when they went on sale today at 10 but I checked as soon as they went online and there were none.

fucking lame

tofu on
  • AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »

I tried to get some $40 tickets on ticketmaster when they went on sale today at 10 but I checked as soon as they went online and there were none.

fucking lame

You could have gotten lucky by refreshing about 50 times in 15 minutes. That's how I got my tickets to game 2 of Boston vs Montreal.

AgentBryant on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am really starting to like Forsberg jr. I mean, Mr. Claude Giroux.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My Habs are beaten. So disappointing, with the defense just letting the Bruins do what they want in the Montreal zone. I thought I had teleported through time back to the early 90's when the philosophy seemed to be "We don't need defense, we have Roy" in Montreal.

Geddoe on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I feel your pain, Sharks fans. The Joe Thornton you're seeing is what we dealt with for years. Incredible regular seasons followed by a complete lack of effort in the playoffs. Mike O'Connell was a horrible GM, but even he figured out that you can't win when it counts by relying on Thornton.

The Sharks' best bet is to reboot like Boston did. Free some cap space and get some depth for the guy. I can honestly say that I'm much happier with Sturm, Kobasew, Ference, and Lucic on the Bruins - all players obtained either directly or indirectly through the Thornton deal - than with Thornton himself.

Nightslyr on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember when the Bs traded Thornton and then he won the god damn MVP award. My friend was like "Watch, he won't do anything in the playoffs now." Sure enough, he did nothing the playoffs and the Sharks don't even have a western conference championship.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2009
    I have to say, tofu, I'll be mightily pleased if the Ducks win. It means that they'll play Detroit and we'll play Chicago/Calgary. Now, I don't think we have much of a chance against detroit, but there's a big difference in reputation between making it to the 2nd round and making it to the 3rd. Difficulty of Chicago or Calgary aside.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, what a poor poor effort from the Sharks. How do you mail a game in like that in the playoffs?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, at least the Flames and Hawks are doing their best to bash each others brains out in the first round - I can't decide what I'm more anxious about... shaving my playoff beard before the second round starts or watching a tired, young team get skated over in the second round....

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember when the Bs traded Thornton and then he won the god damn MVP award. My friend was like "Watch, he won't do anything in the playoffs now." Sure enough, he did nothing the playoffs and the Sharks don't even have a western conference championship.

Thornton is something like the NHL's version of Vince Carter. He has enough natural talent to score heaps of points without trying, and can flat out take over a game when he's motivated. But, the problem is that he's hardly ever motivated. And if a playoff series against an in-state rival can't bring the best out of an incredible athlete, then something is seriously wrong.

So, hopefully the Sharks will learn their lesson and retool a bit in the offseason. It worked for the Bruins.

The biggest improvement in the Bruins trading Thornton (and, to a lesser extent, Samsonov) wasn't just the players they got back, but the overall change in organizational attitude and flexibility to get players that actually give a shit.

It can be argued that the Bruins didn't get enough for Thornton at the time, but the move was the epitome of addition by subtraction. I mean, looking at it now:

Thornton gets traded for Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau.
    Bergeron becomes the #1 center that year, and eventually scores 70+ points and 30+ goals while playing a much better all around game than Thornton. Unfortunately, Randy Jones' hit and subsequent concussion derailed his rapid progress.
    The savings allow the Bruins to sign Chara and Savard.
    Stuart and Primeau are traded for Ference and Kobasew.
    The tanked season puts Boston in a position to draft Kessel.

Pretty damn good. Then, the Samsonov trade:

Samsonov for Reasoner, who ultimately gets traded for a pick, which becomes Lucic.

Fun fact: Lucic's arrival in Boston can be traced back to the Barry Pederson for Cam Neely trade. I believe the Bruins got an extra pick in that deal, which became Glen Wesley. When he was traded, one of the eventual parts from that (after several minor deals through the years) became the pick that Samsonov was drafted with.

It's nice to see the Neely trade still paying off.

Nightslyr on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Cam Neely: The gift that keeps on giving.

JustinSane07 on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    haha, we here in edmonton play that game with the yearly trade to "improve" the team for years.

Brewer + Woywitka for Pronger. Pronger for Smid and Lupul, Lupul for Pitkanen, Pitkanen for Cole, Cole for O'Sullivan and Kotalik(who will probably walk July 1).

So really, we Traded Brewer and Woywitka for O'Sullivan. It just took 4.5 years to get there.

Fucking Oilers. At least they've done the right thing and will wear the old skool Blue and orange jerseys for 27 home games next year, while the Copper+Blue jersey will become the 3rd and worn 14 times.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited April 2009
    A Calgary/Vancouver conference final would be absolutely epic but the chances of that were slim to none to begin with. Now that's nearly impossible.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bob Gainey (Habs general manager) said in a press conference that the lightning GM used a few names they had discussed to be involved in a trade for Vincent Lecavalier to see whether other teams could do better. He called it a disgrace and said it had a negative impact on these players.

So unless the Lightning have a change in management, I don't see Lecavalier coming to Montreal.

I wonder what we're going to do if we can't trade for him. Robert Lang doesn't want to play if the team is going to be in reconstruction and I think we all want to get rid of Saku Koivu. So we have to cross our fingers and hope that Plekanec is going to be good again next year?

Frankly, considering how most of the fans and the media have been treating the players, I doubt we can get a free agent center on the market.

I don't know what the team will look like next year and it's kind of scary. D: I expect the Habs to be the team that will have the most changed over the summer. But in what direction?

I can't believe we let Ryder and Streit get away. We really needed them.

EDIT: I am so pissed at the other Habs fans and the media right now. No free agent (especially French Canadians) is going to want to come here. Yesterday again there were a few shows that were basically 2 hours of bitching about Carey Price and analyzing his every moves and finding some way to criticize him for every little thing he did. They'll be the first to bitch that we've burned him by rushing him.

And then of course there's all the morons going "Komisarek had a bad season! We need to get rid of him! He can't help us!". Don't these idiots remember we thought the same of Ryder? A season isn't enough to judge a player.

What's the point of reporting on these things and covering the sport if nobody remembers past mistakes?

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited April 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am really starting to like Forsberg jr. I mean, Mr. Claude Giroux.

Again, he's not a pussy, so can't be Forsberg Jr.

enlightenedbum on
  • ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm considering getting a Giroux Jersey (once we get him into a long term contract :P)

I mean sure, I love Richards, Carter, and Timonen... but the way Giroux plays, how serious he takes his own performance, and his ability to just stand there and laugh in the face of Avery is just awesome.

Shyfted on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Korlash wrote: »
    Bob Gainey (Habs general manager) said in a press conference that the lightning GM used a few names they had discussed to be involved in a trade for Vincent Lecavalier to see whether other teams could do better. He called it a disgrace and said it had a negative impact on these players.

So unless the Lightning have a change in management, I don't see Lecavalier coming to Montreal.

I wonder what we're going to do if we can't trade for him. Robert Lang doesn't want to play if the team is going to be in reconstruction and I think we all want to get rid of Saku Koivu. So we have to cross our fingers and hope that Plekanec is going to be good again next year?

Frankly, considering how most of the fans and the media have been treating the players, I doubt we can get a free agent center on the market.

I don't know what the team will look like next year and it's kind of scary. D: I expect the Habs to be the team that will have the most changed over the summer. But in what direction?

EDIT: I am so pissed at the other Habs fans and the media right now. No free agent (especially French Canadians) is going to want to come here. Yesterday again there were a few shows that were basically 2 hours of bitching about Carey Price and analyzing his every moves and finding some way to criticize him for every little thing he did. They'll be the first to bitch that we've burned him by rushing him.

And then of course there's all the morons going "Komisarek had a bad season! We need to get rid of him! He can't help us!". Don't these idiots remember we thought the same of Ryder? A season isn't enough to judge a player.

What's the point of reporting on these things and covering the sport if nobody remembers past mistakes?

Ryder wanted too much money, that's why they had to let him go.

They need to start paying Kovalev by the point or just get rid of him.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »

fucking lame

You could have gotten lucky by refreshing about 50 times in 15 minutes. That's how I got my tickets to game 2 of Boston vs Montreal.

I guess I got lucky with the tickets. I went on ticketmaster right at 10 and managed to grab some $40 ones. They're in literally the last row, but whatever. My friend went on less than a minute later and they were all gone.

Now I need a jersey or something... I'm sure it will come in handy next year.

Sevorak on
    edited April 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    Korlash wrote: »

Ryder wanted too much money, that's why they had to let him go.

They need to start paying Kovalev by the point or just get rid of him.

Damn the Americans and their overall apathy for hockey. Ticketmaster sells tickets for San Jose for thirty-four bucks during the playoffs. In Vancouver it's $65 during the regular season. Even worse in Toronto. 80 bucks, I think.

In the first round against St. Louis, the worst upper-bowl tickets cost $100. Siemens Club seats, which I have had the honor of sitting in three or four times, normally cost $160/seat in the regular season and there are special ways of obtaining them. Yeah, club seats were $460. The "cheapest" seats, in a hypothetical Stanley Cup Final, would go for three or four hundred bucks. Club seats will be an even grand at the very least.

Rawr.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In non-playoff related news, there were rumors going around past few days of attempting to get a 2nd NHL team in Toronto (we really must be masochists).

This story was summarily laughed off the face of the earth by all the news stations and sports commentators down here.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited April 2009
    Bettman is apparently insisting that there's no movement or any financial problems because he's insane.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    Didn't Bettman just make a comment the other day where he said that there will be absolutely no plans for expansion or team-moving for a long while?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
This discussion has been closed.