As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WAR IN THE PACIFIC! (LP Silent Hunter)

• Options
    TriggerhappypilotTriggerhappypilot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're going to do this, then do it with drill torpedoes. they are awesome.

Triggerhappypilot on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fuck yeah

I will be the best deck watch this ship has ever seen

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    The idea of a narwhal submarine makes me kind of

horny

booooooooooooooooooooo

Captain K on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    *snip*

Both of these make the base game harder, which is something I was going for. We are going to have more dud torpedos and we are going to get fucked up a few times.

But with the 1.4 patch, it's a really deep and engaging sub sim, if you like that sort of thing.

I just got incredibly tired of every single outing being ended by one of the thrice-daily encounters with a random dive bomber that left my ship dead in the water or sunk.

Honestly I can't remember much of the game beyond that, because it was such an absurdly frequent threat. No amount of AA gunnery or frantic diving could save my ship from the legion of omniscient dive bombers that discovered my ship any time I was within 500 miles of the coastline. I probably encountered ten of those fucking planes for every enemy ship I saw.
    I think they fixed that by the time I played it.

Then again, my memorable exprerience of the game was sinking about 6 Kongo class battleships during my career- two of them by having one rear-end the other kongo class ship in its task force.
    There were only ever 4 ships of the Kongo class

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome, Petty Officer 1st Class. Didn't expect to get on the boat that fast though.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome, Petty Officer 1st Class. Didn't expect to get on the boat that fast though.

It's a big crew.

We still have a ton of seamen who are the standard dudes.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck yeah

12.jpg

NotASenator on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    a ton of seamen

naval bukkake

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has anyone claimed being WEPS yet?

Cause, I could be your guy. All Viggo in Red Tide. Pensive.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DRUHIM: Here is our plotted course, sir.
    10.jpg

We have reached our first night and haven't killed ourselves yet.
    11.jpg

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fucking gorgeous

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    launch a nuclear icbm at tokyo then moscow

if you don't have one yet just grind on giant jellyfish until you're high enough level

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck yeah

12.jpg

is that me

because if so hell yeah

I am watching the shit out of that ocean

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck yeah

12.jpg

is that me

because if so hell yeah

Yep, you are certainly standing there looking at a sunset through binoculars.

Good job, guy.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck yeah

12.jpg

is that me

because if so hell yeah

Yep, you are certainly standing there looking at a sunset through binoculars.

Good job, guy.

unfortunately he's now blind from staring at the setting sun and fails to see the 2 destroyers coming at us from starboard astern

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    8-)

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck this is a gorgeous game

If I had an attention span longer than 3 seconds I'd think about buying it

Ten on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Man when do I get to do something other than rub the torpedoes down with lube?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    needs to be a game like this where a bunch of players can just work on a ship together

a spaceship

and I mean a sim like game, not a grindan mmo

all cruising through space through a cloak, popping out of cloak to shoot torpedoes, recloak. rerouting power through the main deflector to get through the space anomaly

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it would be pretty cool to have something like Eve except where players actually cooperate on a single ship in different positions, only it wouldn't actually work very well because you just know most people would be too impatient to actually stick to their tasks

so actually it would suck huge balls

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    isn't ss13 sort of like that

I mean, I haven't played it but that's what I hear

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    what was that little ascii game where you work on a space station? how did all the little tasks for that stay fun? I mean there was the traitor aspect but you make it all 3D and put all the players in the action somehow and I bet it'd be fun. I mean basically it'd be a 3D vent channel with blowing up of ships and promotions and shit

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    it would be pretty cool to have something like Eve except where players actually cooperate on a single ship in different positions, only it wouldn't actually work very well because you just know most people would be too impatient to actually stick to their tasks

so actually it would suck huge balls

Star Trek Online was orignally going to be like that.

In this game, you can do quick missions or multiplayer wolfpacks, but it still takes some patience. Time compression helps.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I mean I'm not designing the game here. all I want is a coop game where you fly a big spaceship around and deal with multiple problems with each other. the developers can work out the fun part.

STO is still going to be an mmo. I'd rather not worry about leveling up on romulan shuttlecrafts and getting a red tunic of the wolf +6. I doubt the ship part will be all that in depth. probably just click here, fire guns. or something boring like that.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    what was that little ascii game where you work on a space station? how did all the little tasks for that stay fun? I mean there was the traitor aspect but you make it all 3D and put all the players in the action somehow and I bet it'd be fun. I mean basically it'd be a 3D vent channel with blowing up of ships and promotions and shit

the post directly above yours

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, by the way, Dangerous Waters has multi-station mode, which is basically what we are talking about. You can staff a nuclear sub with a bunch of real guys and have them in different positions.

However, DW makes Silent Hunter look like Bejeweled when it comes to complexity. You seriously have to look at raw sonar input and try to identify the waveform patterns to a database.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I mean I'm not designing the game here. all I want is a coop game where you fly a big spaceship around and deal with multiple problems with each other. the developers can work out the fun part.

STO is still going to be an mmo. I'd rather not worry about leveling up on romulan shuttlecrafts and getting a red tunic of the wolf +6. I doubt the ship part will be all that in depth. probably just click here, fire guns. or something boring like that.

yeah
    I don't give two shits about STO

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, by the way, Dangerous Waters has multi-station mode, which is basically what we are talking about. You can staff a nuclear sub with a bunch of real guys and have them in different positions.

However, DW makes Silent Hunter look like Bejeweled when it comes to complexity. You seriously have to look at raw sonar input and try to identify the waveform patterns to a database.

jesus

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, what was that old Microsoft space game, Alliance? That had multi-crewing on space ships, but it was mostly manning turrets.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

jesus
    917994_20040803_screen003.jpg

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    you give plenty of turrets and shit for people who don't want to deal with menus or digital readouts or whatever but I mean you're still going to have people left over who want to do the less exciting stuff anyways. there's the whole having the lives of the people doing the easy part, in your hands aspect. banging away at those exploded panels prevents the ship from blowing up and you all get to live to fight an other day. I don't know, its a lot like playing a healer in an mmo I guess. the whole mentality. why do boring shit when you can be doing OMG HUGE NUMBERS

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    you give plenty of turrets and shit for people who don't want to deal with menus or digital readouts or whatever but I mean you're still going to have people left over who want to do the less exciting stuff anyways. there's the whole having the lives of the people doing the easy part, in your hands aspect. banging away at those exploded panels prevents the ship from blowing up and you all get to live to fight an other day. I don't know, its a lot like playing a healer in an mmo I guess. the whole mentality. why do boring shit when you can be doing OMG HUGE NUMBERS

shit, look at the game I'm playing right now. It's all about plotting out the course that a ship is taking so I can manuever and be in position. And I've played Dangerous Waters too. I'd do that shit.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it's all about deferred payoff
    most people that play a game want more immediate gratification but some people find it much more satisfying to be one of those people that can show the patience and intelligence to play a more complicated game like this

because when you actually manage to sink a battleship, that's a major fucking accomplishment and you know most people wouldn't have the patience and/or intelligence to pull it off

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    more people must post their navy man portraits.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it's all about deferred payoff
    most people that play a game want more immediate gratification but some people find it much more satisfying to be one of those people that can show the patience and intelligence to play a more complicated game like this

because when you actually manage to sink a battleship, that's a major fucking accomplishment and you know most people wouldn't have the patience and/or intelligence to pull it off

then of course high fiving your buddies who all helped in it, equally. feels good man

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    more people must post their navy man portraits.

bfface07.jpg

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    sub1-1.jpg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008