As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ever nearly killed someone by accident?

Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I have 2 occaisons of this.

The first was about 2 months ago.
Ireland recently changed it's laws about learner drivers. It used to be that you got your provisional licence, and got a second after 2 year's. You could drive alone on the 2nd provisional, but for a third, you had to prove you were at least applying for the licence. Recently, the law changed so that you can't drive without a fully licenced driver for at least 2 years in the car with you, no matter what provisional licence you are on. If you drive on your own, €1000 fine. Driving without L plates up, €1000 fine.

I was home alone, post back surgery, with no food or money. ATM's were all further than walking distance so I had to drive to eat that night, about 3 weeks after the law changed.

I was driving my tiny Ford Fiesta, a car that if you hang on for a moment, you can make out whats in front of me if you are patient. I was doing 55 in a 50 kph area, just bridging the gap of 4-5 car lengths in front of me.

Some jackass didn't wait, overtook me and hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting what was in front of me. As this was happening, two guys on bikes are messing around on the sidewalk and one pushes the other right out in front of me. It was a single lane in each direction, so luckily there was nothing coming the other way when I swerved into the oncoming lane to avoid running over the potential Darwin Award winners.

I went home and shook for a while, because it was pretty close to dragging some dumbass along by his head and I'm too soft for jail.

The second involved me being outside a nightclub. Long story short, one of the girls in the group had gotten so drunk she was nearly unconsious and some strange guy decided this was the time to try and feel her up. He didn't take it too well when I told him to go away in a very nice diplomatic fashion.

I'm 5'11'' and 210 pounds and towered over this guy who had a drunken Napoleon conplex and he was up in me ear telling me how he was gonna fucking kill me.

After trying to get him off me with no violence (martial arts training + kicking someones ass = not good situation in court, as people cannot accept it if they get a smack when they deserve it even when they are trying to molest an unconsious woman), what I meant to do was walk him up to the wall by his throat and get him to fuck off.

What I actually did was accidentally take him off his feet with an open hand to the throat, and then he landed with a crack head first on the concrete path, and stopped moving. I don't mind saying, i was scared shitless, I thought I'd killed him. Do I run, do I call an ambulance, what the fuck do I do? It was probably only seconds but it felt like ages until he got up and ran like holy fuck. Seeing as nothing was on the news (Ireland is a small place, pretty much every murder, disappearance or suspicious death makes the papers and tv news), I reckon he was OK in the end.

So, anybody thought they killed or nearly accidentally killed someone? Mine aren't funny, but if yours are, cool.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
Raybies666 on

• TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My friends and I were the cleanup crew for a giant flea market in the amusement park we worked in not far from my house. We would go around destroying anything left behind before throwing it in the dumpster. This was a semi-condoned practice, as it saved space in the dumpsters, but often lead to danger. It was a stress relief for teenagers who loved to break stuff.

Someone decided a box of old 45 records. They looked like a perfect frisbee to toss. We were smashing them against a wall that was behind the dumpster, dropping them inside if we hit it right. Fun AND Productive. We started tossing them around and one missed. It was a jagged, broken, dangerous record of death.

I happened to toss it in the direction of the dumpster without thinking. Maybe I was pissed off about something. I don't know. Someone had been facing me between me and the dumpster. The record of death bounced once on the ground, continued spinning, jumped off the ground, and headed straight towards this person's head. We weren't far away from each other, and as soon as it left my hand I knew it was going to do significant damage if it hit anyone.

I'll never forget watching it fly through the sky as I shouted "WATCH OUT!" helplessly. It looked like a table saw blade heading straight towards the bridge of this person's nose. He moved his head out of the way in a Matrix style back lean duck. The timing was incredible. It missed by millimeters. It was so close to being lodged in his brain that I had a cold few minutes of panic and shock set in. The record skipped and bounced down into a corn field. He ran and picked it up to show me. He thought it was awesome, and wasn't angry at all.

I started cursing and saying, "Holy shit, HOLY SHIT, I could have KILLED YOU!" I think this is the event that broke me out of that "random destruction" phase everyone goes through as a teenager. I just sometimes think about what would have happened if it had hit him.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • eHeroeHero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had leave from the Air Force, so was driving home to Indiana from South Carolina. It was about a 12 hour trip if I remember right, and it was pretty uneventful up until I was about a half hour from home.

I'm driving through a small town, very anxious to get home because I can almost smell it. The speed limit in town is already slow, so that's getting on my nerves, but the lady in front of me is purposely going 5 miles under the limit. I know this because as the limit lowers, she keeps going slower to get 5 miles under it. So to say I'm getting angry is an understatement.

So the limit lowers one more time (it seems to be in 5 mph increments), and again, she lowers her speed. At this, I'd had enough. I noticed a gravel shoulder wide enough for my small pickup to pass her on the right, so I gun it and start to pass.

Unfortunately, the gravel ended far too quick and turned into the rain-drenched backyards of several houses. So I'm going about 50 through these yards, my truck going airborne several times, but I can turn or brake, because the grass is like grease, so I just keep moving straight ahead.

About the 3rd jump (and they probably seemed larger than they were, but I did lose my spare tire from out from under my truck, so I know I didn't imagine the whole thing), I realized not only was I out of yard, but that a sharp embankment was right in front of me which led to a busy, four way stop.

As I'm coming up on this four way stop, perpendicular to a line of waiting cars, I see the driver and passenger of the car I'm lined up with. It's a mother and her daughter, and the mom's eyes are wide saucers of fear. Keep in mind, I can't stop, and I'm still going fast, tearing through lawns like a maniac.

Somehow, I get my truck angled so it shoots through the intersection at an angle, barely missing the mom's car. At this point I have so much adrenaline and fear, that I don't even stop, I floor it and try to get away from any cops that may have been called.

I make it the rest of the way home just fine, and as my brother opens up my passenger side door to help bring my bags in, everything in the truck just falls out onto the driveway, having been shook up by the ordeal. My dad shaking his head at my apparent lack of organization helped break me out of the shock I was still going through.

Needless to say, that got my road rage in check ever since (that was about 10 years ago or so). What a dumb thing to have almost killed someone over. I never did tell my family, or my friends, because I'm unforgivably ashamed by it. But at least no one got hurt and I learned something. So there you are.

eHero on
  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    (martial arts training + kicking someones ass = not good situation in court, as people cannot accept it if they get a smack when they deserve it even when they are trying to molest an unconsious woman).
    You don't hit them first, you let thim hit (or come at you) you first and you're all good. My friend is a black belt and just said since he was, that he knew what would and wouldn't hurt the person and knew when to stop. He got off scott-free and the other dude got 60 hours community service.

May be different arround you though.

GiantRobo on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Let me just say that, no matter what anybody says to the contrary, you have to have a serviceable under-pressure reaction time to play golf. I was hitting off the tee with my driver and the ball went at a right angle to the direction it was supposed to, straight at the head of the little old lady the course had grouped with me, and who wasn't paying attention. I'm just lucky my dad was there to yell fore, because I was just standing there precessing what was happening.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My friend was really really drunk, running at people and yelling FALCON PUNCH.

He ran at me and I aikido'd him, throwin him wayyy out into the sand, close to the pavement.

I realized the next day that the dude could have died.

Ethan Smith on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I fell off a forklift once at my old job. Almost got hit in the head with a big pallet filled with soup cans.

I didn't though, and my brain is fully intact.

Clint Eastwood on
  • GraelynGraelyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was about 3, my dad was working on the ol Ford pickup. He had it running, and was working underneath.

I had started walking and climbing at this point, and wandered out of the house and into the driveway. Seeing the driver's side door wide open, I climbed on up, and began pretending I was driving, unbeknownst to dad working underneath, eventually knocking the steering-wheel-mounted shifter into neutral.

The car sitting at the top of an inclined driveway, it began to fall into the road, with dad frantically pulling some matrix shit to roll out of the way in time.

That would have been nice to grow up with the knowledge of.... "Hey, you killed your dad as a baby! With a car!"

Graelyn on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've also had a near miss with a golf ball.

I was standing about four feet in front of the tee box and behind the guy's back. It heeled off the driver and to this day I'm still surprised I was able to block it, but I got my arms up in front of my face and it nailed the side of my wrist instead of my nose. My reaction was "Owwww" but everyone else just stood there for a few seconds trying to wrap their head around what just happened.

I had a big ole bump on my wrist for a couple of weeks.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    There's this road near my house that's windy with a 20 foot drop off one side of it with no kind of guard what so ever. It was snowing. I was driving my friend home, he lived at the other end of this road. Coming around a curve...oh shit, oh shit, oh shit...we're sliding right towards the drop off. And this isn't just a drop, there's trees and all kinds of shit down there. I feel my car hit the bump of the curb and....that's enough to slow us and we stop. I got out and looked.

There was a single tire hanging over the edge like in a TV show or something. We pushed my car back into the road and drove, scared shitless.

Needless to say, I drove a different way home.

JustinSane07 on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    there are no accidents

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah just things that happen unintentionally. Maybe they should come up with a word for that sort of thing.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My story involves Road Rage..

In 2005 I went to QuakeCon with 5 other friends. We took 2 vehicles to fit all of the people and computers (3 people per car), and one of the vehicles was mine. On the way back, I was letting one of my friends drive. We were on the interstate somewhere in Texas, and he was going 5 mph or so above the speed limit in the left-hand lane. Suddenly, this Infiniti comes flying up the right-hand lane just as my friend is about to pass someone and cuts us off with MAYBE half of a car-length to spare.

Some curse words are let lose, but my friend is a much more level-headed driver than I. He continues at the speed he was going, when the Infiniti SLOWS DOWN in the right-hand lane behind another driver. Just as we're about to pass him, he cuts us off AGAIN.

At this point I'm fuming. I decide that my friend is being far too passive, and that I need to drive.. So I make him turn on the cruise control and switch spots with me at 70 mph down the interstate. (The first time I almost killed everyone in the car..)

After I got behind the wheel, I floored it to catch up with the Infiniti.. I was in full on road rage mode. I didn't have to go far, as he was tailing a Semi at about 10 below the speed limit in the right-hand lane. As I pulled up to him, I slowed down to a speed maybe 1 mph faster than the Semi. It took me about 10 minutes to pass it. After I passed him, I put on my signal and merged into the right-hand lane. Of course the Infiniti blew past me as soon as I did this..

BUT, I wasn't done.. I caught up to him again and got into the left-hand lane right next to him, then slammed on the brakes and swerved behind him. After a few minutes of this, I decide to just go ahead and pass him.

About 15 minutes later, I noticed him in my rear-view mirror. He was right behind me, and stayed behind me no matter what lane I was in. I called my friends in the other vehicle and told them I would be getting off at the next exit. Sure enough, the Infiniti followed me off of the interstate, with my friends right behind him. I pulled into the left-turn lane and waited for the light.. As soon as it turned I went about half-way through the turn, then FLOORED it and turned right to go straight through the intersection. The Infiniti completed the left turn, as did my friends.. As I found a parking lot to hide in, my friends called me and said that this guy drove through a median just after the left turn and doubled back to find me..

tl;dr - My Road Rage (after switching drivers at 70 mph down the interstate) pissed off some guy who chased my friends and I during a road trip.

downer on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was a kid I was over at a friends house playing computer games with the door closed so his parents couldn't catch us busting out Wolfenstein 3D and the like. His little sister was about 4 at the time, and an absolute pain in the arse. She kept rattling the door handle and peering through the lock (old fashioned huge key lock) and saying "I see you, I see you!"

So, clever me, says "I know how to get her to go away." My friend has a toy bow and arrow set that has a reasonable bit of power behind it, and I realise that I can shoot one of the arrows through the lock. So I set up the bow and arrow with the tip of the arrow resting inside the lock, and we wait for his sister to come back.

RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE

"Now!" says my friend, and I fire. There is a scream.

Turns out that his sister was at that moment peering through the keyhole. IF she'd had her eye open, the arrow would surely have gone straight through into her brain. As it was, she blinked at the perfect moment, and the kiddy arrow hit with enough force to go through the eyelid but only scratch the eyeball itself.

Cue much screaming, calling the parents, trips to hospital. I was never invited over again.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In high school I threw shotput and discus. One meet, I was out shagging discus with a couple of my teammates. We started out plenty safe, either carrying them or rolling them back to the ring. We got a little cocky and one of the guys behind me hucked it up and over, nearly hitting my head. I mean coming a good 2-3 inches away from my skull. Yeah, we were a lot more careful after that.

Interestingly enough, that reminded me of a time when I was a kid playing lawn darts with another kid. Yeah... Not sure if I was throwing them right or not, but I threw one when the other kid was downfield and actually hit him in the head with it. I remember all the adults came running and carried him into the house to help him out. I'm definitely a LOT more careful now...

TheMarshal on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was severely bipolar, leading up to my institution in a mental facility. I've been told by a friend that at one point I shoved her into oncoming traffic. I don't know whether this actually happened or if she was just fucking with me.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man some of you fuckers are/were stupid =P

When I was learning to drive I was going over an overpass when a clearly mentally infirm man stepped out into the road to pick up some bright orange thing right in front of me. Swerved like a madman and narrowly missed liquidating his head.

edit: what's it like in those places, if you don't mind me asking?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • edited September 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Let me just say that, no matter what anybody says to the contrary, you have to have a serviceable under-pressure reaction time to play golf. I was hitting off the tee with my driver and the ball went at a right angle to the direction it was supposed to, straight at the head of the little old lady the course had grouped with me, and who wasn't paying attention. I'm just lucky my dad was there to yell fore, because I was just standing there precessing what was happening.

Got you beat, I accidentily hit a ball to the right of a driving range and it went over the net that was way to low and hit a guy square in the back. For some reason the tea box was literally right next to the driving range only up like 20-30 feet. Decent shot though musta been at least a hundred yards with a wedge.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Five or six years ago, my friends and I got a hold of some graphite rods, and we decided to create a carbon arc welder. We had tested this about an hour before on a small scale by cutting knotches near the top of pencils and wiring them to a car battery.

When we realized that the power from a car battery wasn't enough for more than a feeble spark, we decided to splice apart one end of an extension cord and solder each of the leads to one of the rods, and plug the other end into the wall socket.

Unfortunately, the difference between a car battery and a wall socket are profound. Additionally, these were uncovered rods of graphite, not the thin pencil leads that are both mixed with clay and sheathed in wood.

My friend, who was most experienced in electronics, had one of the rods in his hand and was about to pick up the other. He was not wearing any sort of protective gloves.

We all collectively realized that he was about to electrocute himself when his other hand was about an inch from picking up the other rod. He promptly freaked the hell out and ran out of the garage and into the driveway, where he collapsed for a moment in what looked like a panic attack.

Plutonium on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

Got you beat, I accidentily hit a ball to the right of a driving range and it went over the net that was way to low and hit a guy square in the back. For some reason the tea box was literally right next to the driving range only up like 20-30 feet. Decent shot though musta been at least a hundred yards with a wedge.

This lady that my dad once played with has us both beat. They were playing ahead of a group that didn't know how to wait or yell for, so every time they moved up to their second shot, a ball would land nearby. Eventually, one lands right next to this lady, who gets so pissed that she turns around and hits the thing right back onto the t-box, which would have at least scared the crap out of the next guy to t up.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I used to be an angry man. A VERY angry man. And I was 18, and I had a license. In case can't figure it out, this is a terrible combination.

One thing in the world made me angriest of all: my girlfriend at the time. It wasn't anything specific, but we would normally end up fighting over pretty much nothing. I have no idea why we dated as long as we did. Maybe she saw something in me that I never could. But damn, just being around her made me as angry as hell. If I was driving at the time, well...

I was visiting her out at her school in PA, and we were driving around at night looking for somewhere decent to eat. And we started fighting (again), and I chose to express my rage through driving. I was running stop signs, speeding, and anything else I thought I could get away with. So, I take a left turn fast and wide. And there's a group of kids standing on the sidewalk on the corner next to the road I was turning onto. One of the kids was standing juuust in the street and I swear, if the woman next to him had not wanked him back, I would have hit him. I was ****ing inches from killing a little kid with my car.

The worst part, the absolute WORST part, was that this did nothing to curb my anger nor my poor driving skills. Nor did the subsequent mental breakdown after she rightly dumped my ass. It was another year until I finally got my anger under control and managed to start driving like a rational human being.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I almost got killed once, does that count? I was driving last winter throught the outskirts of a town, it had just snowed heavily so i driving pretty cautiously, (seeing as how i had already had a couple pretty close calls with the side of a ditch) So the area im driving through is mostly farm land. We eventually come up to a T intersection, (if you look at the T, im coming from the top right part driving left) on my right is just pure farm lands, protected by a ditch and fence, on my left is the turn to the other road, or i can go straight. I wasn't exactly sure where the turn was so I slowed down for a second to see the name of the street sign as I passed, I realized that i had to keep going and put on the gas. AT this very moment an F 350 goes 40 MPH through the intersection that i had just barely crossed. Thats 40mph through a stop sign over the ditch, through the fence and into the field where he starts spinning out. Basically he missed us by about half a second, where as if I hadnt just stepped on the gas, this guy would have T-Boned me driver side. F350 going 40mph vs the drivers door of a Corolla does not sound pretty.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I nearly saw someone die once, this one kid I visited sometimes, was borderline retarded and utterly fearless. He didn't have a plug for his computer speakers, so he would just stick the naked wire into the plug hole and get current this way.

As if you couldn't see where this was going...

Anyway, one day when I was there he wasn't paying attention and held on the exposed wires unstead of the rubber when he "plugged" it in. He was under the desk, so I heard his head go 'thudthudthudthud' against the desk. Somehow he managed to let go... man now that I think about it the amount of times that kid nearly offed himself because of his own craziness was amazing.

Oh wait, I think I nearly killed someone once... my friend was swinging from a bar, trying to swing as high as possible. I gave him a slight push to help him, and his feet caught on the bar behind him. It wasn't much of a height but he landed face first and bit through his top lip. Our playground was more jagged rocks than anything else so it could have ended worse. He swore it wasn't my push that caused it though, but I know better.

Falx on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My brother and I used to get into really random, stupid tantrum fights. We were home alone a lot while my parents worked.

Well one day, I got pissed and smacked my brother on the top of his head with my fist. He got mad and took a swing, but I jumped back. He ran off and I laughed. Then he came back with a steak knife. Chased me around. Nearly stabbed me in the neck, but I slammed the door to my bedroom right before he got there. Never told my parents though...I guess b/c I instigated it, but goddamn, I might not be here if I'd been that much slower.

1ddqd on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not really almost killed, but seriously injured.

When I was about 13/14, me and my brother were making some chips (fries) and we left the fat heating up for too long. It needed changing anyway so we thought, "Why not just throw it away instead of waiting for it to cool down. As a joke, I told my brother (18mths younger) to pour it down the sink.

And he did.

Fortunately, he's a drummer so he has pretty strong wrists and managed to keep hold of the pan. He got a face full of steam and was inches away from pouring a pan full of almost boiling oil down his chest. He didn't really redeem himself when I said to pour it away in the garden and he walked to the centre of the lawn and poured it out. The grass never regrew and my parents just put a slab down and a pot plant in the end.

Gorak on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Graelyn wrote: »
    When I was about 3, my dad was working on the ol Ford pickup. He had it running, and was working underneath.

I had started walking and climbing at this point, and wandered out of the house and into the driveway. Seeing the driver's side door wide open, I climbed on up, and began pretending I was driving, unbeknownst to dad working underneath, eventually knocking the steering-wheel-mounted shifter into neutral.

The car sitting at the top of an inclined driveway, it began to fall into the road, with dad frantically pulling some matrix shit to roll out of the way in time.

That would have been nice to grow up with the knowledge of.... "Hey, you killed your dad as a baby! With a car!"

You'd be surprised at how many people had an almost (if not exactly) identical experience as a kid. I had one too, at about the same age.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Not an accident: got in a fight with a guy who tried to shoot me, I wrestled away the gun, in that moment of pure adrenaline I almost murdered him. Ended up okay (well, not okay. Guy's in jail.)

---

On accident: tooling around with a Tavor... guy bumped into me, hard, on accident. We're talking inches, here, from the stray bullet hitting someone's torso.

Organichu on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

You'd be surprised at how many people had an almost (if not exactly) identical experience as a kid. I had one too, at about the same age.

Mine was similar. It was my mother though. The car was running while she was talking to the baby sitter. The car was an automatic with the gear selector on the steering column. It was basically just a piece of metal covered by a plastic knob. The knob was removable, I would take it off and play with it. My father had recently super glued the knob back on so that it was no longer removable. I was 2 and was not told. I kept pulling on it and eventually put the car into drive. I missed my mother (barely) but I could not have missed the huge garage door in front of me. Fortunately, the owners had good insurance.

Bolthorn on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah I did something stupid like that. My mom parked on a dirt hill in my dad's car to run inside somewhere real fast, and left the door open. I climbed in the driver seat and pretended I was driving. Knocked the car out of park and rolled backwards down the hill, with my foot hanging out the door and rubbing on the ground trying to slow it down. SLAM! Into a damn tree, and the open door swung into my leg.

The driver side taillights were broken and I had a massive bruise on my leg.

JustinSane07 on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Back in primary school while our school was under renovation we had to play in two small crappy playgrounds, one was higher than the other by about 6 ft and there was a wall between them. So if you were in the high playground you could climb the wall of about 4 ft and jump down into the lower playground with a drop of about 8 ft.

We were playing tag during lunch and had the great idea to sit on the wall, if the person who was chasing us came to tag us all we had to do was jump off the wall into the lower playground and we were safe. It was me and my friend Michael sitting on the wall at the time, he jumped, I was wondering why, realised it was because the chaser was about to get us and went to jump myself. At the same time I went to jump I got caught so I tried to stop the jump to take up my role as chaser. By trying to stop the jump I turned it more into a fall and had no control on the landing, Michael had landed pretty much below me somehow and was in a leap frog position as he was getting up. I landed square on his shoulders, legs to each side of his head, driving his face, hard into the tarmac.

I shudder when I think of that as I'm pretty sure that could have killed him if not seriously injured him. Michael came away with a chipped tooth, the inside of his front lip shredded to fuck and his face scraped up a bit.

atat23 on
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was 16 there was an older gentlemen who had alzeimers, and scitzophrenia. He would walk around the sub at wild hours, often petting animals who would rather not have his companionship. In short he was just a weird disturbed old guy. I was driving home from closing work at about 2 o'clock on a saturday night. The road leading into the sub is very windy, and generally fun to gun it and pretend you're in a rally race (epsecially if you drive a stick as I did) well I came around the second corner and here was this old man sitting in the middle of the road. I swerved on the shoulder, pulled the e-brake, and hardly avoided him. I still to this day (I'm now 20) drive strictly 30mph down that road though the man died two years ago.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah I did something stupid like that. My mom parked on a dirt hill in my dad's car to run inside somewhere real fast, and left the door open. I climbed in the driver seat and pretended I was driving. Knocked the car out of park and rolled backwards down the hill, with my foot hanging out the door and rubbing on the ground trying to slow it down. SLAM! Into a damn tree, and the open door swung into my leg.

The driver side taillights were broken and I had a massive bruise on my leg.

Heh, wow. I, too, had something similar when I was about 4 years old. The driveway at our first house was kind of this circular dirt drive that sloped down a slight hill. My dad's (manual) truck was up at the top and my mom's car was at the bottom. I was in the truck, playing like I was driving, and pulled the truck into neutral, where I proceeded to coast down the hill and smack into the back of my mom's car, where I then fell out of the open door.

Sir Carcass on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So when I was a kid I was at the church/school playground with a couple other families we were friendly with. This one family had a daughter who was probably about three at the time and I was pushing her on one of those spring action playground toys. Similar to this:
    289093510_a71c9a613a.jpg?v=0

So she's having a blast and I get the idea to make her go really fast by pulling the thing all the way back, without considering the fact that a three year old probably can't hold on too well. I let go, the thing launches her into the air, and she does a mid air flip before landing on the gravel. She was mostly alright, but did develop a life long fear of playgrounds. Though, considering how dangerous some of the stuff they let kids play with is, it was probably for the best.

I of course got in quite a bit of trouble. It didn't help matters either that I found the sight of a flying baby so ridiculous it was all I could do to keep from laughing while being scolded by many adults.

oldsak on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was a kid, I had a friend who lived on the top floor (tenth) of my apartment building, who I'd hang out with a lot in the summer. So we've decided to go outside, but we've got all this stuff we want to take but don't feel like carrying with us. We gather the stuff on the balcony, which as it happens faces the back of the building, and where right below us is this grassy area. Our stuff's plastic, and the grass is soft, so we think just dropping our stuff is a good idea. Our friend, who also lives in the building, is already waiting down there for us to come out, and seeing him running about on the grass gives us the brilliant idea to toss our things with him as our target. We hurled water guns, buckets, plastic chairs, and a few large and small balls made of anything from soft/hard plastic to rubber and metal. Thankfully, he dodged most of what we dropped, and he was at worst only nicked by things.

Another time, years and years later, me and a friend of mine were in science class goofing off. That day's class had been on electricity and measuring current, so we were divided into groups, with each group holding their own electrometer or voltometer or something like that - a device to measure current. My pal and I start to talk about our brains, and how, to our understanding, signals in the brain are essentially electric currents. Curious and stupid, I put both ends of the meter-thing to my friends head, one at each temple. My friend felt an abrupt shock to his head and I immediately pulled away horrified.

Also, though one specific time doesn't come to mind, my family's always rough-housed at family events, and as the oldest I've had the privilege of being able to toss my cousins around as I've seen fit. My favourite cousins are noticeably big (read: not fat, but tall and muscular) and they've always loved to fight, so that's just what we do. If I had a dollar for every time we'd nearly knocked each other into something sharp, hard, and basically potentially harmful, I'd be a rich man. I once nearly tossed my cousin head first into the sharp edge of an hardwood table, and one of them nearly put me through a glass table.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This isn't me, but my friend and its quite the tale.

So we were out in the woods, hacking away at some scrubs with machetes (I forget why. Probably boredom?). Anyway, my super 'way-too-excited-about-the-task' friend takes a crazy fast, strong horizontal stroke at some sapling. He feels the weight of the machete suddenly change.

It took us a moment, but the blade of the machete had swung free of the handle (cheap machetes ftw) and made a beeline for my friend Shorty. It stuck into a big tree about 4-inches over Shorty's head (Shorty had earned his nickname). After that, we decided it was time to turn in for the night.

An-D on
  • adamadam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    told my little brother it was okay to sled down a hill covered in ice and led into rocks. He ended up being dragged unconcious into my jeep.

adam on
  • Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Once when I was little there was a large shed in the far corner of yard by the edge of the woods. My little brother and I figured out a brilliant game... we'd get on opposites sides of the shed, find rocks of various sizes lying around, and throw them over to the other side. It doesn't take much thought to see how this went wrong. :whistle:

Yeah, my little brother got whalloped on the head. He just got a nasty bump but depending on the rock it could have been much worse.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh wait, I discovered that "trick" of flicking a match across the ignition strip with your fingers so it shoots away, aflame, once. Cue me and my friend, in the dead of winter, flicking lit matches at each other in our flammable clothes.

That could have ended badly.

Falx on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Joshua368 wrote: »
    Once when I was little there was a large shed in the far corner of yard by the edge of the woods. My little brother and I figured out a brilliant game... we'd get on opposites sides of the shed, find rocks of various sizes lying around, and throw them over to the other side. It doesn't take much thought to see how this went wrong. :whistle:

Yeah, my little brother got whalloped on the head. He just got a nasty bump but depending on the rock it could have been much worse.

Either this is far more prevalent than I imagined, or YOU ARE MY SISTER.

YamiNoSenshi on