As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Online

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    zanmatto wrote: »
    The game exiting on Alt-Tab is a strange bug. Switch it to Windowed and stretch it to fill the screen. Also why would you want to turn off the music :(

After 3 hours in the underground desert, I was dying to put on some of my music.

Gilder on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You should be able to shut off the music in the config program (same utility used to set graphics options, etc). Unforuntately, unlike the console version you cannot adjust sound or BGM volume in-game.

Fun diversion: You can replace the .ogg files the game uses, though you might want to back them up first in case you want to put them back. Many veteran players would replace the Cave BGM, having long ago grown sick of the worst song in the game. Someone really needs to make a kickass remix from that theme.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have some time to kill, so I'll be making a game on Skyline block 2

Something along the lines of PA mid teen lvling

Or something to that effect.

kriegs on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    You should be able to shut off the music in the config program (same utility used to set graphics options, etc). Unforuntately, unlike the console version you cannot adjust sound or BGM volume in-game.

Fun diversion: You can replace the .ogg files the game uses, though you might want to back them up first in case you want to put them back. Many veteran players would replace the Cave BGM, having long ago grown sick of the worst song in the game. Someone really needs to make a kickass remix from that theme.

Interesting. I'm not computer savvy or anything so exactly how would I go about replacing that caves music? Anything special?

Gilder on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The game exiting on Alt-Tab is a strange bug. Switch it to Windowed and stretch it to fill the screen. Also why would you want to turn off the music :(
    How do I access the goddamned config file. THere's an "options.exe" file, but god knows it doesn't even work. This is easily the most confusing game ever short of like Dwarf Fortress. I can't access anything at all, including the fucking gameplay part where I fucking kill stuff. I want to play so bad because I have fond memories of playing on a splitscreened cube, but this is just awful.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    How do I access the goddamned config file. THere's an "options.exe" file, but god knows it doesn't even work. This is easily the most confusing game ever short of like Dwarf Fortress. I can't access anything at all, including the fucking gameplay part where I fucking kill stuff. I want to play so bad because I have fond memories of playing on a splitscreened cube, but this is just awful.

Pick the Online exe and you'll get a splash screen which includes a link to the options.

To play a agame, once in a lobby you pick the first option on the list when you talk to the receptionists and from there either join a team (instanced game) or make your own.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Internet crashed, sorry for leaving you on the boss! :(

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Pick the Online exe and you'll get a splash screen which includes a link to the options.

To play a agame, once in a lobby you pick the first option on the list when you talk to the receptionists and from there either join a team (instanced game) or make your own.
    Thanks. I'm just so used to a less insane layout like in Guild Wars, easily the most comparable game I've played.

So anyone willing to take me in a game? Level 1 Human Ranger male, so preferably other newbies.

EDIT: Oh wow, options made this game so much better

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Thanks. I'm just so used to a less insane layout like in Guild Wars, easily the most comparable game I've played.

So anyone willing to take me in a game? Level 1 Human Ranger male, so preferably other newbies.

Man everyone's playing RAmar, now I don't feel special. :(

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I was thinking about RAcast, but RAmar seemed like a good choice.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    IceBurner wrote: »

Interesting. I'm not computer savvy or anything so exactly how would I go about replacing that caves music? Anything special?

There should just be .ogg files sitting in one of the games' subdirectories, I believe the folder is named "BGM". Copy over it with music of your choice in .ogg format. I forget the name of the Cave file specifically but I'm pretty sure it had "cave" in it. You'll lose the dynamic music function for that song unless you know how enter song looping info, but whatever.

If you're unfamiliar, .ogg is an (arguably superior) alternative to mp3 and has pretty much all the same kinds of players/tools available.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I was thinking about RAcast, but RAmar seemed like a good choice.

It really is. High accuracy and healing and buffs.

If you pick rifles, therefore filling my exact same niche, I may cry.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Surprised RAmarl isn't more popular. It's often considered the most versatile Ranger class. While her ATP isn't as high as RAmar, her Lv20 cap for shifta, deband, jellen, and zalure more than make up the difference, especially for group play. Her higher MST also means technique attacks are a respectable option and her Resta is not anemic.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Enough talk about PSO, I'm requesting manz since everyone ditched me.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Enough talk about PSO, I'm requesting manz since everyone ditched me.

Gimme a few minutes.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Everyone decided to join the second I got to towards the end of the quest I started.

New game is up though.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    When do I get to the point where I can actually kill stuff by myself? Level 2 obviously isn't the answer.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When do I get to the point where I can actually kill stuff by myself? Level 2 obviously isn't the answer.
    Playing solo, you really have to take advantage of the gates between each room for safety. Run in, take some shots, run out when they get close. Androids can actually take advantage of their health regen on solo, too, since you're not rushing around trying to keep up with the murder. You should be able to solo the dragon in a couple more levels, at least once you understand its pattern.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any games up now that aren't full?

I'm going to make on in skyline block 2.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

When are we gonna do that Ep2 run?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lork wrote: »

ooh, soon! I may or may not have to do stuff this evening, but I think I'll jump on now for at least a little while. I'll definitely be on in the wee hours for a while.

I have a room up for ep 2 right now, MiceGrind is in with me.

Oh yeah, Gilder - I still have your frying pan and whatnot. I'll have to get that back to you.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh man. I threw a moon at Vance during the dragon fight a second before it decided to breath fire.

Guess who's corpse was in front of the dragon?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I'm gonna head in for a bit. I am also in the TeamSpeak Server.

Lord Homsar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »

ooh, soon! I may or may not have to do stuff this evening, but I think I'll jump on now for at least a little while. I'll definitely be on in the wee hours for a while.

I have a room up for ep 2 right now, MiceGrind is in with me.

Oh yeah, Gilder - I still have your frying pan and whatnot. I'll have to get that back to you.
    That's my frying pan! And the ogre/powers too.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    About whens should I start pumping my mag with items? I'm a level 3 FOMarl if it matters.

tgbob on
  • Options
    KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All the time. You can feed mag three items at once and wait some beats (I'm working off old GameCube stuff) to feed again later. Anytime you are safe and waiting on team mates, raise your mag. For a force use fluid to raising MIND which ups your Mental Strength of you character. Antidote and anti paralysis work well too sometimes. Consult PSO world for you character type section ID and mag raising stuff. I had a window program back in the day called Mag farm that you could try out things with.

Edit:

Found some Mag info on PSO world
    http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1032
    I also found MagFarm version 0.9.6 Beta by Baxter Computer Systems.
    It is a stand alone exe that I can run in Ubuntu 8.04 with Wine 1.0 just fine. It would obviously work fine in Windows too

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yea, if I'm not mistaken, you can feed your mag every 5 minutes(?)

I used to sit in the forest and take a shit-ton of items to feed him. I'd feed him, set a stopwatch for 5 min and turn the tv input to watch cable till the 5 minutes were up and feed him again.

Rinse and repeat.

kriegs on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, whoever was Zanmato; Good times man. Thanks again for the Stick.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    TreTre Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Great times playing with everyone tonight. Sorry about leaving Dual and Vance, but my computer froze and was having problems getting rebooted. I might be back later for some games, but USC is getting dominated by Oregon State and I must watch.

Tre on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, whoever was Zanmato; Good times man. Thanks again for the Stick.

<3

And yeah, twas the first time I've seen anything +9 drop lol.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, is doing quests pretty much useless since they're all messed up? That kinda sucks, cause grinding on this isn't that fun, I did that way too much the first time through

geestack on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Episode 1 Boss Gauntlet quest (I think it's Towards A New World) is the only one that anyone plays.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Still have a game up, and need one more. We've cleared the way to De Rol Lee, and Volt Op. ;D

just need one more for extra manpower.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Still have a game up, and need one more. We've cleared the way to De Rol Lee, and Volt Op. ;D

Love to join you, but 1) I'm way too low to survive either of those and 2) I'm super tired.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Dee Kae wrote: »

Love to join you, but 1) I'm way too low to survive either of those and 2) I'm super tired.

Ah well, we're up in skyline block 2 under an obvious game name. ;D

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So... how do you guys rolling mouse + keyboard have your shit set up?

I mean, I played a little on DC so I sort of know what's up, but holy shit this shit is awkward.

august on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I rock a Gamepad, plain and simple. the only time I need my keys is when I cast from the toolbar.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We're down two, and we basically have caves, mines, and ruins cleared up to the bosses.

Anyone want in?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can test this out with my gamepad, once I'm settled in...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    blamo!

Camui on