As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chuck: Inside a Freakish Bubble of Handsomeness

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know I saw the first episode when it premiered and was pretty disappointed with it. I didn't watch the rest of season one until a few episodes popped up on Hulu and I had nothing else to watch.

I did end up loving it and this along with Dexter are probably the two shows I most look forward to watching now.
    That makes sense Geek, I guess I just cant bring myself to hate anyone in this show. There just all so much fun. Even the guy in the season premier "Am I Imposing, its ok I was going for Imposing"

Stationary on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fucking fantastic

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Did they license the entire Huey Lewis & The News music library for this season?

Not that I'm complaining...

DMAC on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Chuck waking up to Power of Love immediately made me think of Back to the Future.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i bought the first season last week and it is so wonderful

humble on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2008
    I need to listen to some more Huey Lewis and try to guess what song they're going to use in each episode

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fourth prong:
    Be a bastard.

CorporateGoon on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm loving the new theme, Geebs.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    8-)

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I finally get to talk about this because I just saw it on Hulu last night due to some retarded issue with our local NBC affiliate and Time Warner Cable being douche bags to each other etc, etc.

Anyhow.
    Good overall episode. I feel like Chuck is getting too many opportunities to break the fourth wall- not Zack Morris style mind you, but small asides that are taking me out of the show a little bit (I know... it is really a stupid thing to complain about...) Also, I called the Bryce shit. I hope that is just me being so in tune with the show that I knew where the writers were going and not that the show is getting predictable and wrote.

Sitting on the couch last night as Chuck was putting on his white dinner jacket the girlfriend said "Oh no... what is going to fuck this up?" And I said without skipping a beat: "Bryce." And she told me to fuck off.

Then we were both very very sad for Chuck :(
    I need to listen to some more Huey Lewis and try to guess what song they're going to use in each episode

Also, this. I'm glad they are using the hell out of Huey Lewis. Totally overlooked.

GRMike on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I did kind of feel like I was watching Back to the Future a few times during the season opener.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    GRMike wrote: »
    I feel like Chuck is getting too many opportunities to break the fourth wall- not Zack Morris style mind you, but small asides that are taking me out of the show a little bit (I know... it is really a stupid thing to complain about...)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Metacortex wrote: »
    I did kind of feel like I was watching Back to the Future a few times during the season opener.
    I saw it as an homage. I enjoyed the reference. Chuck is one of my favoritest new shows and BTTF is my favorite 80's movie.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I feel like Chuck is getting too many opportunities to break the fourth wall- not Zack Morris style mind you, but small asides that are taking me out of the show a little bit (I know... it is really a stupid thing to complain about...)

Yeah, me either.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Chuck did look pretty dang dapper in that white jacket.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jasoco wrote: »
    I saw it as an homage. I enjoyed the reference. Chuck is one of my favoritest new shows and BTTF is my favorite 80's movie.

For sure, I wasn't saying that it was a bad thing.

Just anytime I hear those songs I go straight into Great Scott mode.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think you mean

Charles

Charles Carmichael

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah, me either.

I think GRMike is smoking something illegal.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Grath wrote: »

Yeah, me either.

Or he just doesn't understand what breaking the fourth wall means.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    Grath wrote: »

Yeah, me either.

Or he just doesn't understand what breaking the fourth wall means.

I do understand what it means. This last episode was full of little moments when Chuck would look at the camera and throw an overwhelmed or exasperated look toward the audience. In theater we called it an "Oh Brother" moment and it is a way of breaking the fourth wall. Like I said- not as blatant as Puck or Zack Morris, but it wasn't something they used a lot in the first season. It happened enough that I noticed it and it felt weird.

Anyhow, whatever.
    cue sad charlie brown music

GRMike on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It didn't seem like he was doing it at the camera. Just sorta doing it in general.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeh, I can't say I noticed that at all.

You know a show that breaks the fourth wall in the best way? Boston Legal. Just last episode they were talking about how they were getting cancelled and whether they'd tried any other timeslots, but they do it in such a way that it's totally believable that they're just using it as a metaphor in their conversation. I love that show.

Ten on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I love Boston Legal.

GRMike on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hm, you guys convinced me. Gonna go watch it now.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What do you know...
    Michael Strahan!!!

How 'bout dem COWBOYS!?

GRMike on
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I’m stuck at work till midnight. I've got it saved on my dvr but I don't want to wait another two hours. If only hulu was instant with new episodes.

Stationary on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    goddamn, my stupid dvr didn't record this

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This was a pretty solid episode.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    god damn it I forgot to record it

god damn it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I know I'm already going to hate the next episode...
    Nicole Ritchie... blarg... bring back Bilson.

GRMike on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    this episode upset me

not because it was bad

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    man, bryce is a dick

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    He did kind of ninja-apply a patch.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Gives a new meaning to spyware.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't even know what that means and I don't want to until I finish the episode!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Gives a new meaning to spyware.

This is great.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It was kind of funny/cute how upset Sarah looked when she came out in the dress and was like "How do I look?" and Chuck run away.

It stopped being funny/cute at the end of the episode :(

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The only possible non-douche reason Bryce would have done that to Chuck is because he knows the gubmint wants to fit him for some concrete shoes once they get the new intersect up and running.

But I still maintain Bryce is a total dickweed and probably did it for reasons other than protecting Chuck.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    All I know is I don't trust him.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well that was another really good episode

although the ending did not make me too happy

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.