As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am a dummy and now probably have bad credit.

TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Due to a stupid mixup (my fault), my credit card bill went to collections. It wasn't insanely high and I'll be done paying it off completely in a couple months. According to the internets, I should've negotiated with the collections agency to get the debt taken off my credit history as soon as I paid it off, but I didn't know that at the time, so that's out.

What should I be doing to offset this besides paying off the debt? The credit card was my very first, meant to build good credit. Oh, the irony! Please explain in small words, as apparently I am the biggest dummy on the planet.

Trowizilla on

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »
    Due to a stupid mixup (my fault), my credit card bill went to collections. It wasn't insanely high and I'll be done paying it off completely in a couple months. According to the internets, I should've negotiated with the collections agency to get the debt taken off my credit history as soon as I paid it off, but I didn't know that at the time, so that's out.

What should I be doing to offset this besides paying off the debt? The credit card was my very first, meant to build good credit. Oh, the irony! Please explain in small words, as apparently I am the biggest dummy on the planet.

Well, I'm no expert on credit, but start off small. Chances are that if you have a cell phone, car payment, house payment, and other bills like that, they are reporting to the credit agency and if you're never late, you should be just fine.

One thing a friend of mine is doing is buying gas on a credit card then paying it off each month so the balance is always 0 and never gets interest since he pays it off before it hits. Looks really good. Just do stuff like this and it should start to build it up.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You might be okay if you're paying it and haven't defaulted yet. However I have a late payment on my record for a credit card 5 years ago that's still affecting my new credit requests.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Once you're turned over to a collection agency, it's pretty bad. I really think the way credit scores are determined are absolute shit. You have 5 years of no late payments and blah blah blah, but one thing is late and you can't get a loan for the rest of your life.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If by "offset" you mean improve your credit score, there's not much you can do immediately besides increase the amount of money you make.

When you say it went to collections did the account get closed? If not, keep it open as having an account go bad and then rehabilitating it is better than having an account go bad, get closed and then openning a new account.

Otherwise it's just boring regular timely payments to your obligations. If the CC account got closed, once you pay it off you can apply for another unsecured credit card (don't let it get late obviously) to start generating a credit history on a new account.

Djeet on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Once you're turned over to a collection agency, it's pretty bad. I really think the way credit scores are determined are absolute shit. You have 5 years of no late payments and blah blah blah, but one thing is late and you can't get a loan for the rest of your life.

It's really bad when I have trouble but someone who had went bankrupt can get a car and a loan (albeit with a 20% interest rate). But bankruptcy fucks you up in so much more ways than getting new loans, especially if you have a lot of equity to your name.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One thing a friend of mine is doing is buying gas on a credit card then paying it off each month so the balance is always 0 and never gets interest since he pays it off before it hits. Looks really good. Just do stuff like this and it should start to build it up.

That doesn't help as much as people think it does. From my understanding of it, many places give a credit score on some sort of debt to credit ratio, so having a balance of 0 at the end of each month doesn't help too much. Whereas if you make a purchase of say $200 and then pay it off in $50 amounts over 4-5 months you give the credit company good reason to give you a decent credit score.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I doubt you have "bad" credit for this one thing. You may now have mediocre credit, but unless you're planning on buying a house in a few months, it probably shouldn't affect very much.

As for the debt to credit ratio, that does not involve revolving debt (credit card). Paying ANY credit card interest is bad for your credit score, because it gives the signal that you're unable to pay your monthly bills. GOOD debt/credit is student loans, car loans, and so on -- debt with some purpose behind it.

For revolving debt, your credit score is affected more by the average maximums you hit each month. If you regularly go into the thousands and pay them off in full each month, then it's assumed you're able to handle a large debt with few problems.

If you have a small purchase and can only pay half of it? That reeks of financial incompetence.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ryadic wrote:
    One thing a friend of mine is doing is buying gas on a credit card then paying it off each month so the balance is always 0 and never gets interest since he pays it off before it hits.
    EggyToast wrote: »
    For revolving debt, your credit score is affected more by the average maximums you hit each month. If you regularly go into the thousands and pay them off in full each month, then it's assumed you're able to handle a large debt with few problems.

No, that's not actually true.

The amount you pay off each month has no direct bearing on your credit score. That is a myth. You can pay off the full amount each month or you can pay off a partial amount, it doesn't really matter.

What does affect your credit score is the ratio of your credit card debt to your available credit, and the area you want to be in is 10%-40%. Having a 0% balance actually hurts you a little, but not by much.

Even then, that only affects your score right now. If I spent all of 2007 with my credit cards at 90% utilized, and then paid them all down to 10% in September 2008, I would have the same credit score as somebody who maintained a 10% balance through 2007 to September 2008.

The reason you want to pay off your balance in full each month is because you don't want to get charged interest. That's all.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So your "mixup" involved missing several notices from the credit card company, and you didn't resolve the issue within 30 days of the item going to collections?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Time heals all wounds and will eventually clear this mistake from your credit record. Yeah, having something go to collections is a pretty big deal, but as long as you're polite and are actively attempting to pay it off you are already doing better than the vast majority of people with bad credit.

Things to note:

- be careful about what credit you apply for in the future, generally less is better but anything you're looking to finance will probably come with a higher interest rate (car, credit card, etc.)

- monitor your credit rating regularly (at least once a year, preferably more often), specifically your FICO score and your credit reports to ensure what the collections agency reports (if anything) is accurate across all three reporting agencies

- credit scores are calculated using some mystical formula that uses both your payment history and things like your income to debt ratio, so keeping your balances low/nonexistant is important, as is not carrying fifteen credit cards around even if their balances are zero

- if you can, keep this credit card active as another variable in the mystical formula is length and consistency of credit history, i.e. if you've had the same credit card a long time, that's a good thing. It might be a pain or impossible to keep this one, but in ten years it will pay off.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So your "mixup" involved missing several notices from the credit card company, and you didn't resolve the issue within 30 days of the item going to collections?

Kind of. I moved and was having a hard time getting the credit card company to change my address; the bills kept going back to my old place (parent's house). My mom offered to pay the bill and let me pay her back later, but we had a miscommunication where I thought she said she'd going to pay off the balance (which wasn't too high) and she thought I understood she was going to make the minimum payment. I didn't use the card after that because I'm planning on moving again soon and trying to get the address changed wasn't working, so I thought I had a zero balance and didn't worry about it. The credit card company tried to notify me by mail, which was just going back to my old house. It wasn't until the collections agency contacted me by phone that I found out about the whole thing.

Basically, it's my fault for not checking with my mom. It was a dumb mistake, but I can't go back and fix it.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, trying to summarize the advice:

If the account that got sent to corrections is still open, I should keep it. I actually don't know if it still is; didn't know that accounts that got sent to collections even could stay open. Calling the company would probably be good; I'll do that tomorrow.

If it's not, I should get a new credit card and pay it off every month. I'll do that as soon as I move so there's no more change-of-address silliness. Any recommendations for companies that are likely to let me open an account? I'll probably have to suck it up with interest rates and soforth, which shouldn't be too much of a problem if I'm just buying gas and paying it off right away.

I need to get at least annual credit reports. Is there a specific website I should use to do this? freecreditreport.com advertises all the freaking time on tv, but is there a better one?

And I should be even more careful with paying off my other bills on time; right now, that's just the cell phone. That's quite doable.

Did I miss anything, guys? Thanks, everyone, for being so helpful.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Calling the collections agency is the best step. They own that debt now and they'll work withy ou to get the money. They can work out a payment plan with you and even make a deal with you to remove it from your credit report.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Kind of. I moved and was having a hard time getting the credit card company to change my address; the bills kept going back to my old place (parent's house). My mom offered to pay the bill and let me pay her back later, but we had a miscommunication where I thought she said she'd going to pay off the balance (which wasn't too high) and she thought I understood she was going to make the minimum payment. I didn't use the card after that because I'm planning on moving again soon and trying to get the address changed wasn't working, so I thought I had a zero balance and didn't worry about it. The credit card company tried to notify me by mail, which was just going back to my old house. It wasn't until the collections agency contacted me by phone that I found out about the whole thing.

Basically, it's my fault for not checking with my mom. It was a dumb mistake, but I can't go back and fix it.

Do you have any records of trying to change your address? For example, when I moved, I changed it online and printed the page showing that was and did change my address on the specific date. That could help in negotiating that down.

What you might want to do is finish paying off the card then pull your credit report to see if it's actually affected your credit score. It will also depend on your overall credit history. If you've had other debts in the past that were paid off with no snafus like a car loan, it won't affect it as much.

You could also try to open another credit card. This was recommended to me by a financial advisor that I worked for at one time. He said to have the one credit card that you use for the normal stuff (like gas payments, which I saw mentioned earlier) and have a second card open and just sitting there, maybe charging a pair of pants to them once every six months then paying it off. It will help build a stronger credit history, especially if this card is the only thing showing up on your credit report. I got slightly screwed by this before since I didn't have a well established history when I went to buy my car, and the financing company was somewhat limited in the interest rates they were able to offer me because of my limited history.

EDIT: I don't know about freecreditreport.com, since I've never used them. While a little more of a hassle, you may want to go straight to the horse's mouth and get your report from the actual reporting companies, being Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Calling the collections agency is the best step. They own that debt now and they'll work withy ou to get the money. They can work out a payment plan with you and even make a deal with you to remove it from your credit report.

I've already got a payment plan and will be done paying it off pretty soon. It wasn't that much money; if not for Giant Stupid Mistake, I wouldn't have had a problem paying it off to begin with. Sadly, it looks like I would've had to negotiate with the collections agency to get it removed from my credit report before I started paying it off, but I'll call them and make sure.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Once per year, here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

It's a government mandated thing, you can get one copy of your report from each of the big three.
    However, they don't provide a credit score. Just the report itself.

Also, if you want to be sneaky, you can spread the report getting from that site out , get the Experian now, Equifax in four months, then four later Transunion, and sudo monitor your credit report thru the year, then repeat. The downside to this is that it is possible for a bad entry to occur on just one of the companies radars, and you wouldn't know for months about that.

Freecreditreport.com is, if I remember correctly, actually Transunion. When you sign up for that, they pull a report for you from Experian and Equifax, and give you theirs... then you get billed monthly for their credit monitoring stuff if you don't cancel. So read the fine print if you go that way.
    Edit: I do not remember correctly, freecreditreport.com is Experian.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

I've already got a payment plan and will be done paying it off pretty soon. It wasn't that much money; if not for Giant Stupid Mistake, I wouldn't have had a problem paying it off to begin with. Sadly, it looks like I would've had to negotiate with the collections agency to get it removed from my credit report before I started paying it off, but I'll call them and make sure.

Never hurts to try. A lot of times they'll work with you if you're paying it off.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »
    Do you have any records of trying to change your address? For example, when I moved, I changed it online and printed the page showing that was and did change my address on the specific date. That could help in negotiating that down.

What you might want to do is finish paying off the card then pull your credit report to see if it's actually affected your credit score. It will also depend on your overall credit history. If you've had other debts in the past that were paid off with no snafus like a car loan, it won't affect it as much.

You could also try to open another credit card. This was recommended to me by a financial advisor that I worked for at one time. He said to have the one credit card that you use for the normal stuff (like gas payments, which I saw mentioned earlier) and have a second card open and just sitting there, maybe charging a pair of pants to them once every six months then paying it off. It will help build a stronger credit history, especially if this card is the only thing showing up on your credit report. I got slightly screwed by this before since I didn't have a well established history when I went to buy my car, and the financing company was somewhat limited in the interest rates they were able to offer me because of my limited history.

EDIT: I don't know about freecreditreport.com, since I've never used them. While a little more of a hassle, you may want to go straight to the horse's mouth and get your report from the actual reporting companies, being Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.

I don't have any records because all contact with the credit card company from my end was over the phone. I called them maybe 5-6 over the course of several months trying to get my address changed; each time, they assured me they'd changed it, but the bills kept going to the old address.

I've never had a car loan or a school loan; I bought my car outright and went through school on scholarships. The whole point of getting the card was to build up a credit history; obviously I screwed up.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting another credit card and watching it like a hawk. Any recommendations for where to look?

Do I have to pay to get credit reports from the reporting companies?

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    TokyoRaverTokyoRaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, I'm no expert on credit, but start off small. Chances are that if you have a cell phone, car payment, house payment, and other bills like that, they are reporting to the credit agency and if you're never late, you should be just fine.

Some of that is true, some is not. If you have a house payment or car payment, it is reporting to credit companies; if you have a cell phone payment or cable payment, it is not unless you are delinquent, at which time it will show up as a collections account. IE it can only hurt you, not help you.

If you have multiple lines open and a five year history, you're going to have a score in the upper range of the 700's. If you make a 30-day late on a credit card, you'll end up getting knocked down 70-80 points, but it will go back up gradually after two or three months have passed. So if you had a 780, you'd drop to 700, then 705, 710, 715, and so on...
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I doubt you have "bad" credit for this one thing. You may now have mediocre credit, but unless you're planning on buying a house in a few months, it probably shouldn't affect very much.

His score is very likely in the low 600-high 500 range over this, if that's his only credit line. If he were to try buying a house even BEFORE this he'd have a hard time getting approved; banks are looking for ESTABLISHED credit history, which means 4 trade lines open for 12 months or more.

My advice here is to 1. KEEP THE CARD OPEN KEEP THE CARD OPEN YOU WILL LOCK YOURSELF OUT OF THE HOUSE OF CREDIT IF YOU CLOSE THE CARD

2. Go back to the collections agency, explain your plight, to two or three people if need be, and hopefully someone will take mercy on you and take it off

3. Get your credit scores (not now, no point, they're going to be awful) in about 4-6 months. Have bank accounts in your name. Get added as an authorized user on an account of someone with good credit (say, your mom, you don't even need the card, cut it up, just be on it) Then cautiously apply for more credit, like a store card; someone with low credit standards (you'll need to be inquiring in advance on this one as to what minimum score they accept.

If 2. fails, try filing a dispute directly with the three agencies, many companies are lazy and will not contest the dispute and if they fail to within 60 days, it will come off.

TokyoRaver on
    logo_phpBB.gif
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Once per year, here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

It's a government mandated thing, you can get one copy of your report from each of the big three.
    However, they don't provide a credit score. Just the report itself.

Also, if you want to be sneaky, you can spread the report getting from that site out , get the Experian now, Equifax in four months, then four later Transunion, and sudo monitor your credit report thru the year, then repeat. The downside to this is that it is possible for a bad entry to occur on just one of the companies radars, and you wouldn't know for months about that.

Freecreditreport.com is, if I remember correctly, actually Transunion. When you sign up for that, they pull a report for you from Experian and Equifax, and give you theirs... then you get billed monthly for their credit monitoring stuff if you don't cancel. So read the fine print if you go that way.

Go here

Also, don't ever agree to pay anything for a credit report. All the companies will offer you little unnecessary extras to try and mill you for a few bucks. Don't do this.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TokyoRaver wrote: »
    If 2. fails, try filing a dispute directly with the three agencies, many companies are lazy and will not contest the dispute and if they fail to within 60 days, it will come off.

This is actually extremely unlikely to work these days because most of the process is automated now. It may be illegal to file a fraudulent dispute, i'm not sure.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »

I don't have any records because all contact with the credit card company from my end was over the phone. I called them maybe 5-6 over the course of several months trying to get my address changed; each time, they assured me they'd changed it, but the bills kept going to the old address.

I've never had a car loan or a school loan; I bought my car outright and went through school on scholarships. The whole point of getting the card was to build up a credit history; obviously I screwed up.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting another credit card and watching it like a hawk. Any recommendations for where to look?

Do I have to pay to get credit reports from the reporting companies?

You don't need to pay if it's just the report (no score), so you can check your history. They're required by law to provide it once per year at your request, as Jobastion mentioned. Be sure that you only get it once from each company. There was a problem a few years ago with a client (when I was a loan processor, many moons ago) for whom the bank pulled his report repeatedly because whoever was doing it thought it wasn't going through properly and it screwed up his credit really badly. This is because they keep track of when and how many times the report is being pulled because it should usually only be pulled if you are try to get credit or a loan, which looks bad to happen repeatedly in a short time.

For another card, what card do you have now, and who is it with? Most banks offer credit card also, so if you have a bank account already and don't have your credit card through them, I would check there. If you're a Costco member, they offer American Express cards with an annual rebate based on how much you spend each year at certain venues.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    TokyoRaverTokyoRaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DVG wrote: »

This is actually extremely unlikely to work these days because most of the process is automated now. It may be illegal to file a fraudulent dispute, i'm not sure.

Figured automation would get to it eventually...When I have clients with bad credit that I can't get around I often advise them to do this, I find about 70% of stuff will fall off. But I have noticed more recently that fewer are disappearing, and responses are being received sooner.

TokyoRaver on
    logo_phpBB.gif
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

In early 2007, my credit scores were low to mid 700's. I had an account with Sprint, that after several attempts to try to negotiate the balance down they sent it to collections. On FIRST contact with the collection company I told them I would pay off the entire balance as long as they did not report anything to the credit bureaus. I took down a name and extension number, as well as a payment confirmation number.

Fast forward to January of this year, I tried to purchase a home with my wife. Now, as I said above, I had paid off the account with the assurance it would not be reported. I foolishly believed that, and when I tried to apply for a home loan my mid score was a 560. The only negative account on my report? A collection account that showed PAID from my Sprint account.

Anything I could get approved for with that score was not worth it, so I ended up resigning a lease to stay in my apartment. I disputed the collection with each bureau individually, stating much as I did above (Collection Agency stated it would not report if I paid in full). It was removed from all of my accounts and my score instantaneously jumped 100 points.

Credit is definitely not something to take lightly. Volunteer to pay, demand they don't report it, document everything.

downer on
  • Options
    Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Once you get your credit reports, actually read them, not just skim over them. Most people would be amazed by the sheer amount of inaccuracy on their credit reports. I'm not just talking about tradelines that don't belong, but items within tradelines that aren't 100% accurate, such as payment history, balances, various dates, stuff like that. It's generally not a good idea to dispute an item as "not mine" if it is, because that can be proven pretty easily. However, it is a good idea to dispute on any actual inaccuracy that you find.

So, while it is true that there is a lot of automation in the verification process, once you've actually paid a collection agency, you can still get it removed (usually) without too much trouble. The key is to dispute something they didn't report correctly. If you dispute as not yours, the automated system will sort that out in no time. But if they're reporting something incorrectly that means a human will have to research it. The law is absolutely on your side on this matter, too. The FCRA and FDCPA govern how credit reporting agencies and collection agencies have to behave and report, including requiring accurate reporting. Since they're legally required to accurately report if an inaccuracy is discovered, they find it easier to just delete than go to the trouble of researching it.

You should also remember that the burden of proof is on the data provider, not you. It is never in your best interest to send any documents to a credit reporting company. They'll store that thing forever and if you ever have to dispute anything in the future, you can bet they'll use it against you. The creditors have to prove that they're reporting correctly, don't do their job for them.

Always do everything in writing, no exceptions. You want a paper trail to prove what you said, what the creditor said, and what (if any) resolution you reached. That way, on the off chance they continue to report incorrectly, you can take them to court if needed. That, and it is easier to be calm, cool, and collected when you're writing a letter instead of being yelled at on the phone to pay some money.

One other thing, there's a lot of good info in this thread (especially Feral's post), but there's also a lot of misinformation. The most often repeated is probably the part about debt to income being a factor in your credit score. That's simply not true. It does factor into loan decisions, but that's different from a credit score. A credit score is determined based upon information in your credit report. Since your income isn't stated anywhere on your credit report, it can't be a factor in that particular calculation.

Caliban42 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Edit: Actually, this post was wrong. The information I gave was outdated, sorry. Don't want to mislead anybody.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is all collections activity necessarily bad? My mom was in a car wreck last month and she got a thing in the mail from the ambulance service that the money she owed them had gone to a collections agency. Is that bad? We never received anything from them prior to this notice.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shogun wrote: »
    Is all collections activity necessarily bad? My mom was in a car wreck last month and she got a thing in the mail from the ambulance service that the money she owed them had gone to a collections agency. Is that bad? We never received anything from them prior to this notice.

They cannot legally report the activity to a credit agency until they've sent you a written notice and given you 30 days to respond.

Feral on

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »

They cannot legally report the activity to a credit agency until they've sent you a written notice and given you 30 days to respond.

Awesome thank you.

Shogun on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only time I had something go to a collections agency was something from motherfucking Columbia House, who charged me a CD they never sent me. They didn't get the shipping address right, ever, but the collections agency, who wanted the money, managed to find me. I remember pointing this out to the agency rep and he basically said, "we get this all the time, and we know you're probably not lying to us, but we don't care... pay us or else."

There's also some dude who used my phone number or something to buy a car and I have collections people call me sometimes (who never look to see who owns the line), and I argue with them, and they also give me the "or else" speech, like they're some kind of leg-breaker or some shit. I told them I was recording them and they told me to stop. I asked "or else?"

GungHo on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    downer wrote: »
    On FIRST contact with the collection company I told them I would pay off the entire balance as long as they did not report anything to the credit bureaus. I took down a name and extension number, as well as a payment confirmation number.
    Most people do this with collection agencies (agree to pay if not reported/report disputed/etc) and they don't realize that, by law, the agency is NOT suppose to do that. Creditors have an obligation to report accurate information to the reporting agencies. Do not be surprised if they agree to do this and then don't, like in the case here.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This isn't necessarily true. Some states offer that protection, but not all of them and it isn't part of the federal laws. It actually isn't uncommon for a collection agency to put something on your credit report and then not send you anything, letting them add on (almost always) bogus charges and interest.
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    downer wrote: »
    On FIRST contact with the collection company I told them I would pay off the entire balance as long as they did not report anything to the credit bureaus. I took down a name and extension number, as well as a payment confirmation number.
    Most people do this with collection agencies (agree to pay if not reported/report disputed/etc) and they don't realize that, by law, the agency is NOT suppose to do that. Creditors have an obligation to report accurate information to the reporting agencies. Do not be surprised if they agree to do this and then don't, like in the case here.

While this is against their agreements with the credit reporting agencies, it is most certainly not against any law. Like you said, the law states they have to report accurate information, but that's only if they choose to report. There isn't anything in the law that says they even have to report, they only do that because it is leverage to get you to pay. So yeah, the credit report companies don't like it, but many collection agencies will be all too happy to delete if it means they get paid. Just make sure to get it in writing first.

Caliban42 on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    honestly the Fair Credit Reporting Act is actually fairly helpful to those at the shit end of the debt stick...

you've decided to pay it off (which is quite nice of you), but make sure it's cleared off your report when you finish... in many cases you can just deluge the credit bureaus and collection agency with error correction requests, and get even accurate info removed

illig on
  • Options
    adamadam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wont matter too much, house prices are going down.

adam on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Caliban42 wrote: »

This isn't necessarily true. Some states offer that protection, but not all of them and it isn't part of the federal laws. It actually isn't uncommon for a collection agency to put something on your credit report and then not send you anything, letting them add on (almost always) bogus charges and interest.

I double-checked this, and we're both a little wrong as it turns out.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act says that a collector must send written notice of the collection no later than 30 days after the information has been reported to credit agencies.

So, yeah, they can ding your credit score first, and then let you know afterwards. But they still have to let you know.

Feral on