As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Applying for jobs that aren't advertised.

LucidLucid Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've been looking for a new job for a while. Something that I actually like to some extent. Not that the job I'm in is horrible, but it's a call center, and I'm sick of them.

I can only really get entry level kind of stuff right now I think. Not that I'm complaining really, I'm working on a degree and plan to become awesome. However, it seems the only entry level kind of jobs advertised are call centers and food service/manual labor.

What I'm looking for is finding jobs in something retail like, stores, etc. I've worked at bookstores and really liked them. Stuff like that.

Now my (sort of)problem is, I'm not really sure what the best way to apply for places I see around and think 'that would be a nice place to work at'. I've tried just going into some places and dropping off resumes and saying I'd be interested in working there, but I seem to just get funny looks like 'why are you doing this we are not hiring'.

Does anyone have any advice on ways to approach businesses about possibly being employed with them, how to present yourself, things to say, etc.? I just want some part time work to go along with school in a decent enough job that isn't one of those previously stated kind. For instance, I shop at this semi upscale clothing boutique and they just have one person sit at the desk in their small store, it can't really be too demanding. Something like that would be great.

Lucid on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait until November--every retail place under the sun will be hiring extra people for the holidays, and if you're not a total idiot, they may keep you on after. You're not going to have a lot of luck cold-calling those places because if they're not hiring they're not hiring. Especially not now with the economy in the shitter.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Where are you located? The reason this is important is that the job market varies depending on your area. People from your area would probably have the best idea and/or examples of landing a job in your locale.

Meiz on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    walk into store you like. ask for a manager. ask if hiring. repeat

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    calling is great too, just ask straight out 'are you hiring'.

if they say 'no', but you have heard otherwise, go in and ask for an application. most places will accept you application even if not hiring. then if someone quits guess whose application is lying around...

Local H Jay on