As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yao Ming's Career Memorial Thread

• Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    realgm.com and their forums.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lordswing wrote: »
    Am I too naive to think both Odom and Ariza will be back with LA, turning down bigger contracts to try for a repeat?

I think Odom could come back for less money, he's coming off a $72 million contract. He's 29 so this is likely to be his last chance for a big contract, but he should have a pretty big nest egg (by NBA standards) by now.

Ariza OTOH has career earnings of ~$11 million, and has suffered multiple serious injuries - he's only played 60+ games in a season twice (2004-05 and 2008-09). There's also the question of whether he's really that good, or if he just got hot in the playoff. His 3pt% in the playoffs was a good 16% over what it was during the season, and 08-09 was the first time Ariza has made more than 5 3s in a season - he made 61 this year, or 0.7 3s/game, which jumped up to 1.7 3s/game in the playoffs.

If a team throws the MLE at Ariza, he should probably take it.

Also - if this is the kind of stuff they're coming up with in Minnesota these days, more people than just McHale need to be fired.

An NBA executive told the Boston Globe that the Timberwolves and Suns are working on a trade that would send Al Jefferson and the Wolves' sixth draft pick to Phoenix in exchange for Amare Stoudemire.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59885/20090618/jefferson_for_stoudemire_in_the_works/

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Odom is the dude who's on record saying that he loves LA and would never want to play anywhere without a beach. I am assuming Miami's not looking to shell out for him, so he's probably staying in LA.

I suspect LA will come up with a decent offer for Ariza; after all, they were willing to shell out for Luke Walton for some reason.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Two words for Ariza: Contract year.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I suspect LA will come up with a decent offer for Ariza; after all, they were willing to shell out for Luke Walton for some reason.

That could work the other way too. The Lakers got burned on Walton, could they get burned on Ariza too?

Walton contract year (2006-07): 11.4 pts, 5.0 reb, 4.3 ast, 47% FG, 39% 3pt, 14.7 PER.
    Walton this year: 5.0 pts, 2.8 reb, 2.7 ast, 44% FG, 30% 3pt, 11.3 PER.

You can also throw in:

Sasha Vujacic contract year (2007-08): 8.8 pts, 45% FG, 44% 3pt, 15.1 PER
    Sasha Vujacic this year: 5.8 pts, 39% FG, 36% 3pt, 12.6 PER

Basically that's 2 years in a row the Lakers have thrown MLE-type money at a young player who in a contract year appeared on the verge of establishing himself as a solid NBA player, and 2 years in a row they got burned.

On the other hand, maybe it means they're due.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So uh what do you folks think the cavs are going to do? I really don't know anything about this behind the scenes crazy mumbo jumbo going on or how to interpret it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So uh what do you folks think the cavs are going to do? I really don't know anything about this behind the scenes crazy mumbo jumbo going on or how to interpret it.
    Trade for Shaq. Makes too much sense for them to not do it. Which probably means they won't do it. Here's hoping they don't do anything.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trade for Shaq. Makes too much sense for them to not do it. Which probably means they won't do it. Here's hoping they don't do anything.

setting up a bron bron to brooklyn nets situation?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://blogderudyfernandez.blogspot.com/

Is this real?

This can't be real.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know, but it's awesome.
    While [trading Sergio to the knicks] will consign me to a Sergio-less perdition, it would be a heavenly match for El Chacho and his new coach. Sergio can fast-break with his eyes duct-taped shut, and Mike D’Antoni will smile beatifically at what a skilled courtier he is.

I have spoken with Sergio about this New York prospect. Regarding it, El Chacho is mad past recovery, yet he has lucid intervals.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nah, it ain't real. but yes, it is awesome.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Knicks apparently showing interest in trading up for Rubio.

Rubio + D'Antoni would be :3

Duki on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkWiPDHnaBY&feature=related

Funniest thing ever
    nsfw due to language

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my god, I am literally in tears laughing here.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sad to see Canada get hosed by one of Daivd Sterm's "genius" ideal to make NBA franchises global.

Mark my words, Toronto Raptors will be gone within a couple of years. Seattle fans can breath easy as they will probably get first dibs on the next NBA franchise.

God I can't wait to see Stern go. He has no clue on who to hire as far as marketing the NBA in general is concerned.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Sad to see Canada get hosed by one of Daivd Sterm's "genius" ideal to make NBA franchises global.

Mark my words, Toronto Raptors will be gone within a couple of years. Seattle fans can breath easy as they will probably get first dibs on the next NBA franchise.

God I can't wait to see Stern go. He has no clue on who to hire as far as marketing the NBA in general is concerned.

I don't know much about Basketball but the Raptors are owned by MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment) who also own the Toronto Maple Leafs and they have a shit tonne of cash (they also make people buy Raptor season tickets if they want Leaf season tickets)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wow I did'nt know that Trus. Its just that American Sports Talk Radio, ESPN in particular, always state that the reason the Raptors lose star players ( Vince, T-Mac, and soon to be Chris Bosh) is becuase of the amount of taxes that are applied to Canadian citizens in that higher tax bracket.

And Jeebus, they MAKE people buy Raptor tickets if they want Maple Leaf season tickets? WTF? Thats some assholish shit by MLSE. That'd be akin to the Red Wings making people buy Detroit Lions season tickets if they just want Red Wing tickets alone. That'd be some goddamn bullshit.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    chris bosh really does look like a dinosaur

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, shit. Spurs looking good next year.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, shit. Spurs looking good next year.

End of Bruce Bowen to come shortly?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, he's part of the trade

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow I did'nt know that Trus. Its just that American Sports Talk Radio, ESPN in particular, always state that the reason the Raptors lose star players ( Vince, T-Mac, and soon to be Chris Bosh) is becuase of the amount of taxes that are applied to Canadian citizens in that higher tax bracket.

And Jeebus, they MAKE people buy Raptor tickets if they want Maple Leaf season tickets? WTF? Thats some assholish shit by MLSE. That'd be akin to the Red Wings making people buy Detroit Lions season tickets if they just want Red Wing tickets alone. That'd be some goddamn bullshit.

MLSE are some of the stupidest sports people on the planet but they know how to make money. MLSE owns 4 teams; 2 of which are very popular. Basically, they know that 2 of their teams are going to sell out every game and make them money no matter what (Maple Leafs and Toronto FC of the MLS) and the other 2 will make money when the teams are good (Raptors and the Marlies of the AHL), so what they do is force people to buy pairs of season tickets when the teams are bad and then jack up the prices when the teams are good.

As for the first part, I can't speak to that except for the fact that players get payed in $US but pay taxes in $CDN so the exchange rate probably makes the taxes even out (It certainly did when Vince and T-Mac played there when the exchange rate was like .60)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Taxes in Toronto are far higher than they are in the States, but that has to do with national health care and shit.

I'm also tired of this fucking Rondo trade talk. The Celtics will not trade Rondo unless they get a god damn star player in return. He's a good, young point guard who is getting better. Trading him now would be absolutely assinine.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The highest Canadian federal tax bracket is lower than the American equivalent, 29% versus 35%. How high are the territorial income taxes?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, that's a pretty nice trade for them. If Manu and Parker can stay healthy, that's going to be a fairly nice starting lineup, even with an aging Duncan in the middle.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

errrr what? not bruce. i love that guy. (not sarcasm)

<--- spurs fan

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bruce lee bowen belongs in jail

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

The Raptors sell out repeatedly even during awful seasons. The market's just too big. TV ratings, though, are a problem. They get outwatched by things like fucking curling championships here.

C. Bosh has pretty much stated that he's out in a sign and trade (since he gets an extra $30 mil on his contract that way) if the Raptors don't win a playoff series next year. Marion might be on the outs except for the fact that nobody else besides the Raptors would really pay him much more than the MLE. Parker, who really lost a step at age 34 last year, just got offered a gi-fucking-gantic contract from Olympiacos and will be in all likelihood gone next season, either to Europe or to a contender.

The draft is looking pretty good at least. I think their first choice at 9 will be Demar Derozan, the amazing 19 year old that can't dribble, shoot, or do anything besides jump high and dunk and remind Raptors fans of VC. Other options include James Johnson, the mildly overweight SF/PF who's 20-0 in kickboxing tourneys and Jonny Flynn, who I like.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Celtics offered Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo to the Detroit Pistons for a package that included Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Boston general manager Danny Ainge and Detroit’s Joe Dumars never spoke, but rather the Celtics had a lower-level executive make the pitch to a Pistons official over the past weekend, league sources said. Detroit immediately rejected the idea, and it never advanced to the two top executives speaking about particulars.

Yahoo Sports

Seems a bit early for Boston to be looking at changes that large already. I mean, they did take Orlando to 7 while starting their 3rd string PF.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Seems a bit early for Boston to be looking at changes that large already.

Just shows what kind of franchise the Boston Celtics are. No loyalty, use-and-abuse.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    B:L wrote: »

Just shows what kind of franchise the Boston Celtics are. No loyalty, use-and-abuse.

Yes, thats it, because professional sports totally isn't a business, especially Boston because zomg they're so evil.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    B:L wrote: »

o_O

Didn't the Lakers ride Shaq's shoulders to 3 rings, then dump him?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Minnesota are freaking morons.

The Washington Wizards have acquired Minnesota Timberwolves guards Randy Foye and Mike Miller for Etan Thomas, Oleksiy Pecherov and Darius Songaila and the fifth pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, a league executive with knowledge of the deal told Yahoo! Sports.

Yahoo

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rondo/Scalabrine/Giddens to Memphis For Rudy gay and Mike Conley.

Local sports channel just reported this as v. likely to happen right now.

Why are they sending my favourite PG to NBA purgatory?

Killjoy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Simmons reaction to that one is going to be amazing considering his man-crush on Rondo.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have a massive mancrush on Rondo

076103125final.jpg

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In a rare turn of events, this happening was too awful to be true.

Maybe I ought to wait and see next time.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Both of the Celtic's starting guards are bad scorers. Ray Allen has his nights, but he's so inconsistent. Rondo is such a bad shooter.

Rondo is a good point guard, but he doesn't fit the Celtic's needs.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Killjoy wrote: »

The Raptors sell out repeatedly even during awful seasons. The market's just too big. TV ratings, though, are a problem. They get outwatched by things like fucking curling championships here.

C. Bosh has pretty much stated that he's out in a sign and trade (since he gets an extra $30 mil on his contract that way) if the Raptors don't win a playoff series next year. Marion might be on the outs except for the fact that nobody else besides the Raptors would really pay him much more than the MLE. Parker, who really lost a step at age 34 last year, just got offered a gi-fucking-gantic contract from Olympiacos and will be in all likelihood gone next season, either to Europe or to a contender.

The draft is looking pretty good at least. I think their first choice at 9 will be Demar Derozan, the amazing 19 year old that can't dribble, shoot, or do anything besides jump high and dunk and remind Raptors fans of VC. Other options include James Johnson, the mildly overweight SF/PF who's 20-0 in kickboxing tourneys and Jonny Flynn, who I like.

Yep. Support within the city? Great, even when we're doing poorly. Support from the rest of the country? Dismal. Hockey is still king in the country, although I actually heard that Vancouver did a pretty decent job of supporting the team. I've read that the owner at the time actually had to work hard to sabotage the team to drive down attendence so it could get moved to Memphis. That worked out well by the way.

Bosh hasn't really stated that. He has said he's going to opt out (and who wouldn't in order to get a bigger contract) and while Raptors are prepared for sign and trade situation, the focus still is to keep him. I mean, if he wants sign and trade but all the potential trading partners are offering shit, then Raptors just won't do a sign and trade. Then Bosh will be left with the option of leaving the Raptors and, as you said, about $30 million and an extra year on the table, or signing the max contract and staying.

Underdog on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

To be fair, aren't the Maple Leafs the hockey version of the Chicago Cubs?
    Also, Rudy Gay is good, and he needs to get the hell out of Memphis.

Picardathon on
This discussion has been closed.