As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wish we had [thing] in [country].

• Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Air wrote: »
    truly the peak of all browsers
    nowhere to go but down

just like child slaves

aaanndd full circle

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ivar wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to live in a country that didn't judge people on weird diffuse ideas of national character.

Anyone know of such a place?

What nationality? What kind of judgement?

Well, both Denmark and Norway are heavy as fuck on the judgements based on national popular character. Denmark has the Un-Danish (udansk) catch all judgement for shit that is not welcome and Norway uses the Most People (folk flest) concept.

I hate them both because they don't talk about specific actions or anything else that can really be discussed objectively. Rather, they allude to nebulous mindsets, brought about by perverse moral norms of people outside of our homogeneous groups, as the root cause for all negatively coloured actions. The ultimate conclusion is that we can allow different mindsets to exist somewhere in the world, but they are unwelcome foreign elements in our own societies.

Back to beer: Personally, out of the beers I've tried here, I like Nordlands Pils on tap.
    I've seen that Microbrewer (on Majorstua right?) but I don't have the cash for it at all.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yea but in australia you hear about shit being 'unaustralian' and the concept of 'mateship'

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i would like people that talk to you on trains

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    IE7 has tabbed browsing

Most public places still seem to be using IE6

Yeah IE7 would be good too.

I just can't fathom this though. A couple of hours effort and zero dollars and they could be offering a far superior internet service to their customers. But no, here I am opening multiple windows like a sucker and being unable to get into my MobileMe account.

Butler on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah but most people that work at/run internet cafes are pretty tech illiterate

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    yea but in australia you hear about shit being 'unaustralian' and the concept of 'mateship'

Yeah, the list of countries where this is the case might just be the list of all the countries in the world.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always wanted to do an internet cafe specifically catered to people that know what they're doing.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I always wanted to do one that sold kebab.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

go to india

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ivar wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to live in a country that didn't judge people on weird diffuse ideas of national character.

Anyone know of such a place?

What nationality? What kind of judgement?

Well, both Denmark and Norway are heavy as fuck on the judgements based on national popular character. Denmark has the Un-Danish (udansk) catch all judgement for shit that is not welcome and Norway uses the Most People (folk flest) concept.

I hate them both because they don't talk about specific actions or anything else that can really be discussed objectively. Rather, they allude to nebulous mindsets, brought about by perverse moral norms of people outside of our homogeneous groups, as the root cause for all negatively coloured actions. The ultimate conclusion is that we can allow different mindsets to exist somewhere in the world, but they are unwelcome foreign elements in our own societies.

Back to beer: Personally, out of the beers I've tried here, I like Nordlands Pils on tap.
    I've seen that Microbrewer (on Majorstua right?) but I don't have the cash for it at all.

Yeah the whole Danish thing is pretty atrocious, but you could also say that part of it is because foreigners are something which Denmark hasn't had to deal with a lot in the past. In fact, Denmark hasn't had much influx of foreigners right up until the Vietnam war (took in refugees). Before this, Denmark was, relatively, very homogenous mostly because it sucked and nobody wanted to go there. This is, for some reason, a source of pride among the Danes. Nowadays refugees are also arriving, seeking shelter from the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as East European workers hoping for better conditions and bling bling.

Also, the Danish language sucks I mean really. Example to be found in this YourTub Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

I've been lucky enough not to encounter these people yet.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yeah, the list of countries where this is the case might just be the list of all the countries in the world.

I think part of the reason why Australia is so super-protective of its "National Identity" is because our identity isn't very well defined in the first place. The rest of us marginalise the Aborigines so much that we can't really partake of their culture. We're really just a bunch of people from around the world clinging to the green edge of a desert for dear life, with no clear idea of who "we" are but petrified that whatever our identity is might change.

It's so absurd. Being against immigration here is like saying that adding carrots to a stew is a bad idea because it will ruin the purity.

Butler on
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I for one, think this is a shit thread.

and I know shit.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I fucking love Thai food

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    Australia is against immigration because England is against immigration :V

bongi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't get that

i love non-whites they are great

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    what about whiteys?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

go to india

i said talk not compacted against

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, Denmark has had a lot of foreign influence in the past, a lot of it through immigration. That just isn't part of the Danish national self perception though. The only reason we're homogeneous is because of loss of territory.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I love any immigrant who does not buy their children V8 cars for their 16th birthday.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    what about whiteys?

they're ok

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

go to india

i said talk not compacted against

yea but indians are like the japanese who deal with high population density by pretending to be invisible
    people actually strike up conversation and joke with strangers

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, Denmark has had a lot of foreign influence in the past, a lot of it through immigration. That just isn't part of the Danish national self perception though. The only reason we're homogeneous is because of loss of territory.

okay jeg baser mit dejlige mening på hvad jeg har læst om "Den Danske Stamme"

otherwise i have very little information on this subject

also my Danish sucks but I still passed the Danish oral exam in gymnasium with a clean 7 on the ny skala awww jeah

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    i dont remember much danish except some curse words and how to ask where the bathroom is

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Damn, that is some shit poor Danish, son.

Find yourself a decent English speaking country in which to live.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Territory such as Norway

Ivar on
  • Options
    TrellTrell __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish america had aero bars

I had one in canada it was pretty good.

Trell on
    ori's modding is stupid and arbitrary and based on no actual rule system but rather wind patterns and astrology.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Daaang. To be fair, I arrived in Denmark in late 2005 to begin the school year, and well I kind of had to learn Danish to the A-level in 3 years. Danish is a pretty hard language. It doesn't help that I lived in Southern Jutland, where everyone speaks Sønderjyske.

I retreated to Australia about a month after I finished school though and I like it here.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    J3p wrote: »

Daaang. To be fair, I arrived in Denmark in late 2005 to begin the school year, and well I kind of had to learn Danish to the A-level in 3 years. Danish is a pretty hard language. It doesn't help that I lived in Southern Jutland, where everyone speaks Sønderjyske.

I retreated to Australia about a month after I finished school though and I like it here.

Oh cool. I always operated under the assumption that you were Danish and spoke it. Maybe you are but you don't speak it? Then why the fuck were you in Sønderjylland? I mean damn.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    J3p wrote: »

Oh cool. I always operated under assumption that you were Danish and spoke it. Maybe you are but you don't speak it? Then why the fuck were you in Sønderjylland? I mean damn.

I am Danish, I just never lived in Denmark until that point. I didn't really speak it outside of a few small phrases. I was in Sønderjylland because on my father's occupation in Sauer-Danfoss.

Also I wish Australia had Salt Licorice.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vi forstår hinanden ikke

Ivar on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish we had izakayas.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ldrawldraw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish the subway here wasn't rundown and ugly. I wish it was more like the pictures I see of Tokyo's.

ldraw on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AKA: mdraw, dux, milkman
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    I wish we had izakayas.

Yes! I've heard of a few on the West Coast, but I've never been.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There is exactly one in Little Tokyo so far as I know.

If it turns out like the izakayas in Taipei, I'm going to be disappointed as hell.

sarukun on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I also wouldn't mind a decent summer now and again. Overcast is not summer!

Oh gees. I was just moaning to myself about that now. August was disappointing and it seems that the moment it hit September 1st the temperature dropped, the leaves went brown and there were conkers everywhere. It's ridiculous, it's not supposed to change to autumn that quickly! Plus today is extra dark and I miss the summer, it was only here a few moments ago :(

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

If it turns out like the izakayas in Taipei, I'm going to be disappointed as hell.

Two in Seattle from a quick Google search.

http://www.kaname-izakaya.com/menu.html

http://wann-izakaya.com/

They look promising, but I don't know.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    Australia is against immigration because England is against immigration :V

My uncle and his South African family are emigrating to Australia. Maybe they like South Africans?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish NZ had Rock Band already.

Then I could rock out.

Hooray for getting software that has already been out a year and that has already been sequelled in October!

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Two in Seattle from a quick Google search.

http://www.kaname-izakaya.com/menu.html

http://wann-izakaya.com/

They look promising, but I don't know.

I ain't driving up to Seattle just for an izakaya.

Half the point is that they are neighborhood joints.

sarukun on