As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone here from/been to Vienna? Help finding a quote from the MUMOK.

ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
In the Museum of Modern Kunst (MUMOK), on the floor that has the Giacometti statue and Klee paintings (fourth, from hazy memory), there is a quote printed on the wall. The English translation is “…beauty is nothing more than the beginning of something terrible that we can barely tolerate, and we admire it so much because it calmly refrains from destroying us.” The original German is alongside it.

I would love very much to know who said it. From what I remember, it was a curator writing about a significant exhibition of modern art in Vienna back in the 60s (which included photos of the Paris Commune). If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful.

Zsetrek on

• Options
    MethylamineMethylamine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I do believe you're looking for Rainer Maria Rilke, brooding poet extraordinaire.

That specific quote comes from his Duino Elegies: it's translated in a slightly different way here, (fourth line down) but is just as lovely.

Methylamine on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thank you so much!

Zsetrek on