As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlord 2: The Seal Cub Clubbing Club (trailer in op, Demo on XBL, PSN and PC)

• Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Took a quick look at the preview materials, seems fun, but I wish you can lord over creatures of bigger size, what's a evil army without the rare doom beasts among it's ranks.

by the way, does anybody know the reason for the price difference between the PC and the console versions?

They need to pay around US$15 to Sony for PS3 or MS for 360.
    That's why console games are more expensive than PC games.
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Still dont feel comfortable fighting romans. Not at all. I hope it isnt mandetory.

Oh and you should always have three to five blues with you to ensure the rest of your minions had optimal gear.
    Man, I'm going to fuck up their day so badly that they'll wish that they had been manhandled by Asterix and Obelix instead.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    I feel like reading some Asterix and Obelix now :(

*runs to his nearest library.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Still dont feel comfortable fighting romans. Not at all. I hope it isnt mandetory.

Oh and you should always have three to five blues with you to ensure the rest of your minions had optimal gear.
    Man, I'm going to fuck up their day so badly that they'll wish that they had been manhandled by Asterix and Obelix instead.

Lets not go overboard

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just played the demo and I think i can safely say that this sequel is already much better than the first one.
    For one, it runs smoothly on my 4 yr old desktop (w geforce 6800) on medium settings. Note: I had fps issues with the OL1.
    Secondly, minions don't drown if you send them towards the water. Gawd i hated that in the original.

That is all I got out of the demo. Pretty similar gameplay so far

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Why, if I may ask?

If you have a Wii, you can just play the Wii version and fight fairytale creatures instead.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I've been playing the first game on PC the last couple of days. Why the hell didn't this game get rave reviews? I freaking love it.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For some reason I thought this game came out today, so I stayed up late last night rushing through the last bit of Ghost Busters so my attention wouldn't be split. (First overlord was one of my favorite games.) I get up to gamestop and the guy says that it comes out tomorrow, I walked out of there very very sad.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am downloading it now (Steam). There is fun to be had and I want it. We should try to organize multiplayer. I never did it on the first game.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hrmm. I played the demo for about fifteen minutes. I'm not sure i'm sold on this game.

Seems like everyones really into it though.

*proud of thread title :)

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    For some reason I thought this game came out today, so I stayed up late last night rushing through the last bit of Ghost Busters so my attention wouldn't be split. (First overlord was one of my favorite games.) I get up to gamestop and the guy says that it comes out tomorrow, I walked out of there very very sad.

Technically, today is the ship date. However, most stores don't get the game in on the ship date, they get it a day later (unless they pay for express shipping in the case of something big, like Halo or Gears or RE or what have you). So you were right.

That being said, I feel your pain. I was wondering if I should download the DLC for the original and play it tonight to fill in the story for OL2 or no? Opinions?

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just Goozexed it last night- I'm not excited enough to run out and get it on the first day, but I definitely want to play it. Plus I'm playing a few other games at the moment and have a ton of Goozex points I never used.

Maybe I'll get the expansion on the first while I wait for the line to slooowly dwindle down (I'm like number 43)

Pooch on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Technically, today is the ship date. However, most stores don't get the game in on the ship date, they get it a day later (unless they pay for express shipping in the case of something big, like Halo or Gears or RE or what have you). So you were right.

That being said, I feel your pain. I was wondering if I should download the DLC for the original and play it tonight to fill in the story for OL2 or no? Opinions?

The DLC of the original only has the most tenuous relevance to OL2, explaining why the old Overlord disappeared. It's still great fun though and I highly recommend it, the overall design of the levels in Raising Hell is better than the design of the levels throughout the core game.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

The DLC of the original only has the most tenuous relevance to OL2, explaining why the old Overlord disappeared. It's still great fun though and I highly recommend it, the overall design of the levels in Raising Hell is better than the design of the levels throughout the core game.

Yeah i recently bought Overlord because last time I played it I only had Gameflyed it. Nonetheless, I bought it because I loved it (didnt have a job back then) and am going through again with the DLC which I also bought. And I just beat the first DLC area. Freakin crazy stuff. Funny as hell though.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    is this playable tonight on steam? Anyone had issues with it? I havent had clean sailing with a new 3rd party game on steam ever, so I am waiting for words before buying this.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    is this playable tonight on steam? Anyone had issues with it? I havent had clean sailing with a new 3rd party game on steam ever, so I am waiting for words before buying this.

I bought the game, crashed once but so far its going pretty good

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ill pass till more first hand accounts come back then.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate all of you who get this game a month before me.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    eh, itill be cheaper in a month, through a steam sale or normally?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't get it because I live in australia, and as the OP says, it comes out around June 23/26 for the us and europeans, and comes out July 9 for Australia. And I only really buy games off steam when they are valve games or I can't get them anywhere else, due to not having a credit card and the difficulty of asking parents.

And I guess that it really isn't a month at all, only 2 weeks.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm playing through the first Overlord now as well and will probably get the second off Steam shortly. Good fun.

I loved the demo for Overlord 2, though. As a Canadian I particularly enjoyed the seal clubbing gag.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm playing, and yes, this game is freaking awesome...

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I bought the game, crashed once but so far its going pretty good

got the game today on steam and played for about 40 minutes (long enough for the Tut level) and had no issues. my only issue so far is the the set up screen is not in the game itself but a separate executable which isn't a big deal as there isn't much to change anyways and it's set and forget it.other than that though it's been fun so far.

minions + snow masks = pure fun

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    From what I saw, you can change alot within the game too.

On these ports setup screens before the game are the easy effective way out of adding a ton of features. You write a config file, or the exe runs the game with flags with your settings.

I might have to go ahead and buy this tonight.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is a bit odd. Question for those who are not too far into the game: before you even get the red minions.
    It wants me to interact with the Netherworld Shard, but I have no fucking idea how. No button does it, no dialogue comes up, no nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Ah, it was a possession altar. For those who need help using it, you need to target with LT.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is a bit odd. Question for those who are not too far into the game: before you even get the red minions.
    It wants me to interact with the Netherworld Shard, but I have no fucking idea how. No button does it, no dialogue comes up, no nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Ah, it was a possession altar. For those who need help using it, you need to target with LT.

Send minions, use spell.

Annoying parts of the game:
    Maybe I'm slow but there are several points in the game where more hints might be nice.
    For example, some hint to point to the wolves for the area where you needed wolves to break the legionnaires to get to the explosives to blow up the door would be nice.
    The initial ship gameplay in the jungle world is a bit of a hassle; I didn't know where to go at all.
    Right after, you are supposed to ditch most of your minions and trek solo past a stream, through pandas to get greens. It took me quite some backtracking to realise that, especially when they give you a netherworld portal + minion portals.
    Later, you possess a green minion to get the green hive. LONGEST MAP EVER (again i was backtracking). There's an area where you have to avoid then kill some sentinels but your camera angle is so low as a minion, I totally missed the 1st sentinel to kill because I could not see it.
    I think I stopped just after the spider mounts puzzle. This is another annoying area. Sweeping minions using a mouse is hard as hell and its worse especially if you sweep too far down then they'd jump back on the platform.

Oh yeah, just before you enter the spider queen temple, you need to get two keys. Once you get both, you get blocked off by a legionnaire formation with archers at the back and I got confused. In the end, I just sent in all my browns and greens and forced my way through to the archer line and the centurion. I almost died -_-

Lesson: Always check your minimap and your quest list.

Boss fights are most fun so far.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah sweeping is a real pain sometimes and i could do with a quick save option during quests.also when you dominate a lot of people they tend to get in your way in some areas. i had like the entire sanctuary following me around the place.you can kick and hit them but i'd much rather just be able to walk through them.

overall though the game is great fun. one of my brown minions is a level four pointy hat punisher (and of course he wears a pointy hat).that's just priceless. the game is pretty funny and the minions definitely have a lot of character considering they are cookie cutter upon birth. i'm almost sad when a cool looking one dies off.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Triumph Studios did a great PC version of this. They totally did not screw up the PC version. If you have the hardware, you might as well get that one and save the money.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I now own Overlord 2 for the 360 and the Wii version. I fucking love this series.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just got the greens, no hive yet. I am enjoying this a lot. A lot more the 1 because my minions don't kill themselves by running themselves into water.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I now own Overlord 2 for the 360 and the Wii version. I fucking love this series.
    Could I hear your impressions on the Wii version (assuming you've played it)? I haven't heard much about it and I'd like a bit more info before buying it.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ImperiusImperius __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/997/997929p1.html

Has anyone seen the IGN review yet? I know IGN isn't very popular on this site, but the claims he makes are odd enough to note.

First off, it's by the same guy who reviewed the first game. He didn't like that one either. So he might be biased against it. Secondly, he criticises the game for not having anyone online, despite the fact that it just came out.

But his gameplay considerations stick out the most, and I haven't heard any of thesefrom any other reviewer.

1. He calls the catapult, boat, and minion possession set pieces "boring."
    2. He accuses the game of being more linear, and lacking in exploration.
    3. He says that the game has fewer puzzles than the first and more boring, repetitive action.
    4. He says it's ultimately less epic.

Can anyone who has the game address these issues? I don't take IGN very seriously, but the review piqued my curiousity.
    Could I hear your impressions on the Wii version (assuming you've played it)? I haven't heard much about it and I'd like a bit more info before buying it.

There's a walkthrough with commentary of the first hour or so by a lady from IGN on Youtube. Search for Overlord Dark Legend Walkthrough.

Imperius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    alright, bought then. fuck it.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Imperius wrote: »
    There's a walkthrough with commentary of the first hour or so by a lady from IGN on Youtube. Search for Overlord Dark Legend Walkthrough.
    That could be useful too, yeah. :P

Thanks.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have just started so I can't comment on the entire thing but here is what I have to say so far.

The possession pieces are short segments specific to a single puzzle from what I have found. I was sad I was unable to figure out how to use a red's fireball spell however the segments aren't boring and provide a nice change of pace. I loved the boat part I just completed. I liked ramming objects, lining my boat with reds and watch as they fling fire at enemies. Siege weapons are hard to aim because mouse sensitivity is very strange.

The game is linear but I don't see the problem with a linear game. I actually prefer a linear game over an open game. Even in Overlord 2 there are segments were you can select which part of the story you want to progress at a specific point. You can ignore smaller sidequests if you want.

I love the enemies so far. Combat has been challenging but I don't lose minions as often as I did in Overlord 1. I do find that I have grown attached to specific red minions so I will sacrifice a large number of them to revive any who die.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    i'm playing, and yes, this game is freaking awesome...

I think my message to you through Xbox Live conveyed how I feel about you playing it.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fuck, I think I'm going to have to media blackout my own thread.

Glad to see that everyone's having fun though.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Right Before you get Green Minion spoiler type
    Fuck that part with the panda, I spent half an hour wandering around because the cutscene would pop up and I would walk right past the path I was supposed to take. That is my one complaint so far sometimes the path isn't very clear and takes a good bit of wandering the find.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any advice for how you guys just generally use your blues and minions in general - referring to Overlord 1?

I'm in heaven's peak, so I have all my minions, and I just still am having a lot of trouble managing them. I can have 25 minions, and I usually split it 10 browns, 5 green, 5 red, 5 blue. In my encounters with just the random enemy type in Heaven's peak, I 'throw browns at it' which normally works, but all goes to hell when a couple die. It's at that point I either go in and fight as The Overlord, and get my reds and blues who are walking with me killed, or they get killed while I stand there and try to delegate.

Its also super frusterating to have browns that are leveld up (wearing cool shit) die, and have FIVE BLUES standing next to me, but not doing a damn thing to help. Even in little encounters, do you guys first send blues out to the side so maybe they'll actually try and do something?

And is there a way to send two units at once? I'd love the blues and reds to hang back by me, because they're weak, and send Greens and Browns in together at once most of the time.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well I played a little bit and I really enjoy it.

The framerate is really good. The controls are really good... And there's only one life force thing for all the minions (at least, for the brown and reds). The graphics are okay, but for the Wii they are very good (especially the Overlord, they made him look really good) and all the sound effects are identical to the first one.

Overall if you're dying to play a new Overlord game and you only have a Wii I'd say go for it. Amazon has this game on sale for $36.99, so you can't go wrong!

urahonky on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Any advice for how you guys just generally use your blues and minions in general - referring to Overlord 1?

I'm in heaven's peak, so I have all my minions, and I just still am having a lot of trouble managing them. I can have 25 minions, and I usually split it 10 browns, 5 green, 5 red, 5 blue. In my encounters with just the random enemy type in Heaven's peak, I 'throw browns at it' which normally works, but all goes to hell when a couple die. It's at that point I either go in and fight as The Overlord, and get my reds and blues who are walking with me killed, or they get killed while I stand there and try to delegate.

Its also super frusterating to have browns that are leveld up (wearing cool shit) die, and have FIVE BLUES standing next to me, but not doing a damn thing to help. Even in little encounters, do you guys first send blues out to the side so maybe they'll actually try and do something?

And is there a way to send two units at once? I'd love the blues and reds to hang back by me, because they're weak, and send Greens and Browns in together at once most of the time.

To be honest, you're better off ditching reds and blues for most of the game. A team of 15 Browns and 10 Greens fully kitted up will be worlds more efficient and die far less than the team you've got running now.

When you upgrade to 30 minion capacity though sure throw in 5 blues. Never more though, it's pointless really.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd advise keeping about 3 reds and a couple of blues around to deal with any fire barriers you find and to pick up the corpses after any combat accidents.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]