As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thread for Tabletop Nerds

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Munacra wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    I have been led to believe that Twilight Imperium is expensive as hell and takes forever to play--is this true y/n?

Well you want the expansion + the main game so that's like $120

and it does take about 8-10 hours for a good game

It is expensive, takes forever, but at the end you will feel like every turn was a chapter in a big space epic opera.

8-10 hours is just too long for anybody I could realistically play the game with--people have jobs, kids, all kinds of commitments. That's an entire Saturday right there. :(

Captain K on
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that sucks :(

Munacra on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We've been playing the living shit out of Twilight Imperium lately.

That game is fucking awesome.

twilight-imperium-layout_01.jpg

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    i've played munchkin once

it ended with mully yelling at me about whippets

wutever

Shankusu on
    edited September 2008
    Munacra on
    edited September 2008
    And Im really interested in A touch of Evil

Munacra on
    edited September 2008
    that sucks :(

Still, there's a lot of great games that can be played in under an hour, if not much more quickly. Settlers can be completed in anywhere from 45 minutes to around 20, depending on how quickly somebody wins, and Carcassonne and Puerto Rico are all pretty quick games too. We play Arkham Horror a fair amount too, and once everybody gets familiar with the rules you can really fly through a game (although they apparently bought one of the expansions since our last tabletop session, who knows how much it will complicate things).

Captain K on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shankusu wrote: »

wutever

whippet-782768.jpg

it is a dog i swear to god

mully on
    edited September 2008
    sculder wrote: »

wutever

whippet-782768.jpg

what you make in your crazy animal-breeding laboratories has nothing to do with god

point is, I don't care what you call it, it's an abomination

Shankusu on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have been led to believe that Twilight Imperium is expensive as hell and takes forever to play--is this true y/n?

It is expensive, takes forever, but at the end you will feel like every turn was a chapter in a big space epic opera.

oh man

when we play, we have all sorts of houserules about how you are to announce political cards and stuff

and people's racial traits lead to them playing that race to their character

the sardak n'orr are great at combat, and that is basically it

as a result, the n'orr player generally can't be trusted since in order to use his racials and actually do well, he's going to end up attacking people

hacan end up being peace-oriented traders until they have enough money to turn on you, etc.

Pony on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    whippets are where you crack open those little cans of nitrous that they sell for balloons and inhale them and you get incredibly high for like ten seconds

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

wutever

whippet-782768.jpg

What the

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah those suck

Someone poured some on my hand at a party once. I drank my beer after and it felt like I was on the ceiling instead of leaning against a wall and I could feel every single vein in my body PUMPING blood like crazy and my heart was going ridiculously fast. My brain was THROBBING.

It was terrifying, I have no idea why people do that for fun.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is not a real dog

That cannot be a dog

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited September 2008
    what's so weird about it

it just looks like a gayer littler greyhound

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited September 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    whippets are where you crack open those little cans of nitrous that they sell for balloons and inhale them and you get incredibly high for like ten seconds

see exactly

that is what I tried to tell mully but she was like "NO IT'S A DOG I MADE IT FROM PIECES OF GREYHOUNDS AND WOLVES COME CHECK IT OUT IN MY LAB" and I was like "this is weird I should go"

point is that canada is fucked up

Shankusu on
    edited September 2008

oh man

when we play, we have all sorts of houserules about how you are to announce political cards and stuff

and people's racial traits lead to them playing that race to their character

the sardak n'orr are great at combat, and that is basically it

as a result, the n'orr player generally can't be trusted since in order to use his racials and actually do well, he's going to end up attacking people

hacan end up being peace-oriented traders until they have enough money to turn on you, etc.

Political cards, and the whole system behind it using influence and action cards, is a great system.

I like how the game encourages alliances, trade, politics, and war. It makes for some really exciting times around the board game table when the lost artifact political card shows up and all of a sudden the stronger player who owns Mecatol Rex has to give away half his empire so the rest of the galaxy doesn't blow him up.

Munacra on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    twilight imperium is a game so intense that the rules can change while you are playing the fucking game.

Pony on
  • seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wendy1.jpg

this is also a whippet

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
    edited September 2008
    Mully commits sins against nature ITT

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited September 2008
    twilight imperium is a game so intense that the rules can change while you are playing the fucking game.

It is really Risk on steroids with little downtime.

Munacra on
    edited September 2008
    seizure what the flying fuck

that can't be real

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lets not start the steroid dogs
    i said the word 'whippet' and they were like 'thats not a real word'
    and i was like 'yes it is it is a very useless fast dog'

mully on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    what's so weird about it

it just looks like a gayer littler greyhound

You don't see anything wrong with the forelegs?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited September 2008
    My roommate has a whippet, he's adorable and loves attention.

he has tons of fleas on his balls though :(

Captain K on
    edited September 2008
    seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My roommate has a whippet, he's adorable and loves attention.

he has tons of fleas on his balls though :(

Stop Rubbin' His Balls

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited September 2008
    there are a bunch of pictures of mice with no skin on further down on that page, don't click if you're squeamish

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've always wanted to try twilight imperium, but other than my brother, I'm not sure any of my other board games friends would want to try.

They're all about the Munchkin and Catan and other games that are over in an hour or so. I once tried to play something a little longer and essentially had an open revolt on my hands at around the 2 hour mark.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited September 2008
    Fishman wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try twilight imperium, but other than my brother, I'm not sure any of my other board games friends would want to try.

They're all about the Munchkin and Catan and other games that are over in an hour or so. I once tried to play something a little longer and essentially had an open revolt on my hands at around the 2 hour mark.

It's tough to maintain anybody's interest for a long game--as the time to play one round of the game increases, the difficulty in selling somebody on it increases exponentially, because it takes so much longer to learn the rules and flow of the game.

Captain K on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's tough to maintain anybody's interest for a long game--as the time to play one round of the game increases, the difficulty in selling somebody on it increases exponentially, because it takes so much longer to learn the rules and flow of the game.
    It's also a damn shame, because generally, the longer and more involved a game gets, the more interesting and rewarding it is also.

EDIT: for the good ones, at least.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited September 2008

It's also a damn shame, because generally, the longer and more involved a game gets, the more interesting and rewarding it is also.

EDIT: for the good ones, at least.

Power Grid is a good euro game that offer quite a challenge. I'd also recommend something like El Grande.

Munacra on
    edited September 2008

see exactly

that is what I tried to tell mully but she was like "NO IT'S A DOG I MADE IT FROM PIECES OF GREYHOUNDS AND WOLVES COME CHECK IT OUT IN MY LAB" and I was like "this is weird I should go"

point is that canada is fucked up

fucken canadians man!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Munchkin is hells of fun. So is...um I think it was called Zombies, and BANG is pretty cool.

I really need to find a group so I can play Mutants and Masterminds.

Bucketman on
    edited September 2008
    Ah fuck, naporeon and Cthulhu were talking about Zombies when I was in Seattle. It sounds like a fucking blast.

Captain K on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lets not start the steroid dogs
    i said the word 'whippet' and they were like 'thats not a real word'
    and i was like 'yes it is it is a very useless fast dog'

My aunt breeds them , they are pretty much rats on stilts.

But on the subject of gaming, I tried to use the WoW boardgame as a spring board into board games and it failed cause we can never finish a game because by the time we get it set up were already half bored and the game can be downright tedious.

Although they all want to try Twilight Imperium but that's a huge investment again (I paid 120$ for WoW when it came out) for something they may not play.

bloodyroarxx on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bitches need to play more WARMACHINE

Iskander on
    edited September 2008
    BRXX you should really start with something less intimidating (and cheaper) like Settlers of Catan.

Anybody who doesn't like Settlers is probably not going to like the majority of euro board games.

Captain K on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    i been playing some magic the gathering. also been playing some pirates of the cursed seas constructable card game.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Iskander wrote: »
    bitches need to play more WARMACHINE

Honestly its my next endevor if I get this job I interviewed for on Saturday I have the Prime Remix book from like 18 months ago and just never had the funds to pick some units up. And there is a hobby shop on the way home like 3 -5 block from where the job is and they have table space to play it as well so it all works.

On a related note I was watching some businnes show about video games last week and they profiled Next Level Games and some other Vancouver studios, and one of them was working on a Warmachine game. They didn't even mention it and it was only part of a quick montage but I know for a fucking fact I seen some dude posing a Khador Warjack in a modeling program there was no mistaking it, it was very distinctive look.

bloodyroarxx on