As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who will [chat] the [chat]men?

1272829303133»

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God DAMN Christina Hendricks is gorgeous. She has amazing eyes.

Also, Mad Men is pretty awesome so far.

JPants on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Raper krakens is an anagram of 'snaker parker,' by the way

Oboro on
    words
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    1291, what what

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh Dead Rising, why did I ever stop playing you?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JPants wrote: »

Carve them out with a spoon and keep them on your desk.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    I wish I had a game I felt this way about right now.

Oh wait, I do -- it's called Team Fortress 2, or it's called Lumines!, but I can't play either game due to Xbox Live being down today (the way you have to be connected to Xbox Live in order for your full Arcarde game downloads to be recognised is, in a word, absolutely fucking horseshit (okay I lied about the one word thing)).

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    : (

Frosteey on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »

Carve them out with a spoon and keep them on your desk.

Combined with your av... that's fucking creepy.

JPants on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Let's

Frosteey on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    I wish I had a game I felt this way about right now.

Oh wait, I do -- it's called Team Fortress 2, or it's called Lumines!, but I can't play either game due to Xbox Live being down today (the way you have to be connected to Xbox Live in order for your full Arcarde game downloads to be recognised is, in a word, absolutely fucking horseshit (okay I lied about the one word thing)).

Oh it is actually down? I wasn't sure if it was that or just my router being shitty again.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    20030530h.gif

Tycho wrote:
    I'm typing this on Thursday morning, because I'm going to that Europe thing. I mention these things because

# I want people to know where to look for portions of my corpse in case I don't come back.

# Not only that, but posting early opens me up to the possibility of anachronism. If an alien race activates its orbital Agony Engine and humanity knows only suffering, me talking about the new Myst game won't bear the proper gravity.

It's a chance I'll have to take.

I was always a little hazy about what happened between developers 2015, now producing Men of Valor, and Infinity Ward, which is now producing Call Of Duty - but here is the condensed version. The game Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which most people agreed was pretty good even with the sniper level, was developed by 2015 - and after the fact, something happened there that caused fully twenty-two people to leave and start their own company called Infinity Ward. God only knows what, maybe it was on Fatbabies. All I know is, when you look at what was shown for their respective titles at E3, it quickly becomes apparent that something is missing from one title that the other one has. It would be easy to dismiss Call of Duty as another World War II first-person shooter, and the description is certainly accurate - but when you see their floor demo and watch the Stalingrad video they had sequestered away, you see the work of people who made the finest entry in that genre, and then thought, Yeah. We can do better.

Moving on.

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst was not really intended to have a strictly single-player portion, as I recall. I believe it had been their intention to produce a surreal multiplayer space with cooperative puzzles from the get-go. Someone, somewhere changed their mind on the issue and now the retail purchase will include ten "ages" or levels full of puzzles and large mushrooms. I think that was probably a good move. I spent almost an hour with this game all told, I love it to death, and it also makes me sort of sad. Let's take those one at a time.

So, you do get those ten Ages in the box. Subscribers to Uru Lives - what they call their online component - will not only have the ability to play any of those single player levels with friends, but also receive a new age they can download every month. Since we're talking about multiple players now, there is of course a fairly robust capacity to create avatars. From a "Personal Age," a sort of private home for your character, you have access to all the books you have found, as well as other things you've discovered - Treasure Pages, found elsewhere in the game, allow you to customize your Personal Age with ponds, geological phenomena, whatever. You can share your access to new ages by holding a book open towards another character, and then following them through it.

The multiplayer extends beyond just doing the puzzles - you do, after all, need to meet those people somewhere. Either by typing or using the built-in voice chat, you can communicate with other humans in one of a few explicitly multiplayer areas, some public, some private. There is a library in the gigantic main public age that contains recently unearthed linking books, you'd go there to obtain the new content. There's a story that underpins all this stuff that you can investigate if you want to, I'm just telling you about the game. These areas can change as you play, as time passes, and by virtue of player activity - new areas will be revealed, even in social ages you might not have expected them to.

The game itself would be a good purchase for anyone who liked Myst - every age I've seen, including ones I wasn't supposed to see, gives one the impression that they are traversing some meticulous sculpture. But the hordes of casual or non-gamers that made earlier Myst games so successful, those are the same people that were supposed to make The Sims Online a sure-fire proposition. They never materialized, as far as I know. And the hard-core gamers, the true players that prop up companies like Sony Online Entertainment with their monthly charges, I don't know that they want to subscribe to a puzzle game. Believe me, I wish none of that were true. Hopefully I'm wrong, and there is this huge contingent of people slavering for a surreal multiplayer puzzle experience. As a gamer, I do have a certain amount of what you might call "Activist Money" to invest in games from small publishers or untried concepts. I just wonder what the response from the larger community might be.

(CW)TB out.

now i've got to rock for three

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.