Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Somewhere, Beyond the Sea. Somewhere, waiting for me.

• DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    ANYWAY. You in no way need to need to read any of Rand's stuff to enjoy Bioshock. In fact, I recommend against it.

Yeah, I'd agree. There are a few clever references you'll get, but I felt the game pretty much blew its chance at making an honest intellectual statement with its hamfisted ending. I thought that everything up until the plot twist was the first 2/3 of an utter masterpiece (well, narratively speaking), and the twist itself set things up perfectly to make a brilliant point, but then the rest of the game just took all that built-up artistic potential and completely ignored it.

Signature not found.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    ANYWAY. You in no way need to need to read any of Rand's stuff to enjoy Bioshock. In fact, I recommend against it.

Yeah, I'd agree. There are a few clever references you'll get, but I felt the game pretty much blew its chance at making an honest intellectual statement with its hamfisted ending. I thought that everything up until the plot twist was the first 2/3 of an utter masterpiece (well, narratively speaking), and the twist itself set things up perfectly to make a brilliant point, but then the rest of the game just took all that built-up artistic potential and completely ignored it.

I don't think I'd go quite that far. I mean, a point is made, it's just delivered a little sloppily.

speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I haven't played this. Should I get if for my 360 or PC?

FPS + Mouse and Keyboard = yes.

...if you can run it.

The demo I got via Steam played wonderfully at 1920x1200 with all the goodies on, and I can only assume there's been patches that have improved performance a bit.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / a80250598aa8cc2ffb8563e971973b3d5324b5c2185533c7337134de.ico?ad13179b567f3ff7b14378a5232870d1 eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played it for four hours.

boring tripe.

Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My problem with the ending lies between the other 2 problems mentioned:
    Spoiler:

XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played it for four hours.

boring tripe.

I submit that it is you who is boring tripe

7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Bioshock was my favourite game last year. Bar none.
    Fuck the complaints about the last act. It was a worthy denouement.

I've played it so many times I now have the level maps memorized.

This game is a monument to all my cocks.

I'm even listening to Bobby Darin RIGHT NOW.

PSN RadCrimes
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved this game so much and now i am gonna love it again.

Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User
    edited September 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Okay, I enjoyed BioShock a lot. And I don't want to drag down this thread too much. Y'all should buy and enjoy the PS3 version. But...
    Spoiler:

Signature not found.
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited September 2008
    I'll bite. I'll say it. I felt that the game was absolutely beautiful and had some of the best art I've ever seen in a game ever. The dialogue was wonderfully written, too... but I felt like the story (and plot twists) were obvious, the morality aspect was pointless, and the actual gameplay was nothing too special. It's well worth playing to you PS3-only folks, either way, as it's an extremely impressive game overall.

EDIT: Fucking horrific pagetopper. Ah well.

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • SkexisSkexis Tongue Firmly in CheekRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    Amazing game, but 3 problems stuck out to me:

1) Cutscenes are letterboxed. Completely threw me out of the experience and ruins the semi-nonlinear feel.

2) The final boss. After creating such a realistic atmosphere, it's a shame that the final boss feels like a generic video game boss.

3)
    Spoiler:

Still, one of the best experiences around in modern gaming. Just a couple of tweaks could have made it so much better.

So you don't think you deserved the good ending because you killed mutants that were trying to kill you? Doesn't really seem like that much of a problem.

Well, to his credit, there were moments of regret sprinkled through the game if you were looking for them. Even the GODDAM SPLOICERS could be heard muttering to themselves and sobbing over everything they'd lost.

And damn if bringing down your first Big Daddy didn't cause the same guilty feeling that Shadow of the Colossus did. It's like they told you to find a priceless artifact or an endangered species and then crush it beneath your boot heel.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Skexis wrote: »
    And damn if bringing down your first Big Daddy didn't cause the same guilty feeling that Shadow of the Colossus did. It's like they told you to find a priceless artifact or an endangered species and then crush it beneath your boot heel.

?

The hell are you talking about? I didn't feel guilty slaying Colossi or Big Daddies.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited September 2008

?

The hell are you talking about? I didn't feel guilty slaying Colossi or Big Daddies.

I didn't feel guilty about the Big Daddies, but in SotC, a game which by design gives you lots of time in-game to reflect on your actions, it generally occurs to most people that they're intruding into the Colossi's territory and mercilessly murdering them for your own selfish reasons. The Colossi are doing nothing but defending themselves from an aggressive invader.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, but the Colossi also seem to lead a pretty pointless existence.

It would be like someone telling me "Hey, we can cure your girlfriend's cancer if you slaughter these ten cows."

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
    edited September 2008

?

I didn't feel guilty about the Big Daddies, but in SotC, a game which by design gives you lots of time in-game to reflect on your actions, it generally occurs to most people that they're intruding into the Colossi's territory and mercilessly murdering them for your own selfish reasons. The Colossi are doing nothing but defending themselves from an aggressive invader.

Yeah, pretty much this. It was mostly the fact that they were like the "gentle giants" of the game that made me feel that way.
    I dunno, maybe I'm the only one that thought of the Big Daddies as like...whales or something. It must be the hippie in me.

edited September 2008
    It's sort of hard to consider them gentle giants when the first time you see one it's impaling a man with a 3-foot long drill.

edited September 2008
    It's sort of hard to consider them gentle giants when the first time you see one it's impaling a man with a 3-foot long drill.

Well, yeah, but what was he doing like 20 seconds prior? Or rather, what was he prevented from doing?

I mean this is kinda what the game was about, so...

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree with DeathPrawn about the ending. Still a cracking game though.

Major Spoiler
    Spoiler:

edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Major Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Look, I loved Bioshock, but that was the definition of anti-climactic.

MAJOR SPOILERS
    Spoiler:

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Major Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Look, I loved Bioshock, but that was the definition of anti-climactic.

MAJOR SPOILERS
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hadn't heard much about this game before it came out for the 360 and upon seeing that it leaned to the scarier side of gaming (a side that causes me to shit myself) I decided I wouldn't get it, but that the story looked cool. So I read an entire wiki about the game and I now deeply regret doing so, looking back on the whole affair. Still probably won't really play it though. I tried it and it didn't really grab me if only because of the creepy factor.

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hate I've missed out on the discussion so far, been gone since I made the topic.

The game certainly without flaws, there are a lot of things I wish had been changed. Hopefully several of the common complaints will be looked at with the supposed sequel.
    On March 11, 2008, Take Two Interactive officially announced that the sequel to BioShock is being developed by 2K Marin, and is expected to be released before the 2009 holiday season.[74] In an August 2008 interview, Ken Levine mentioned that 2K Boston was not involved in the game's sequel because they wanted to "swing for the fences" and try to come up with something "very, very different".[75]

BioShock 3 has also been announced, with its release likely to coincide with the Bioshock film.[76]

Don't know how I feel about a different studio doing it, even though Marin is the studio that is doing the PS3 version of the game. Hopefully the writing and presentation will be just as strong in the next one. I'd love it to be a prequel to the first game's story, what with the uprising and all that jazz. But so much of the backstory was told, in great detail, in the first game that I think it might be pointless.

I'd hate for the setting of Rapture to be abandoned though. So I hope that doesn't happen.

DrMario1.jpg
    XBOX LIVE - VAULT BOY 42
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited September 2008
    The main thing that I hated about this game is it basically straight up says in the very first act that objectivism is the exact same thing as naziism

like, I'm not an objectivist or anything, but to baldfaced make that equivalence seems to me to be at least a little disingenuous (a lot disingenuous)

• scootchscootch Registered User
    edited September 2008
    we should also talk about how amazing the sound track is. guys how amazing was the soundtrack?

TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, everyone should check out this game "Purity", being made Jean-Paul LeBreton, who worked on Bioshock.

It's looks neat, in a vaguely portal-esque way.

I found a pre-release build via google too. Not sure if it is supposed to be publicly available, but heck, I found it pretty easily, so it can't be too well hidden. It's going to be freeware anyway.

edited September 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    we should also talk about how amazing the sound track is. guys how amazing was the soundtrack?

So awesome.

Anything with "Papa Loves Mambo" gets a 9/10 instantly in terms of soundtrack.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love this game so much. The environment is absolutely beautiful, and the soundtrack is awesome, not to mention the story.

SarahBlasko_WTSWTSWH_sig2new.jpg
  • wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Bought day 1 along with LBP. And then a week later, it's Fallout 3. And then two weeks after that it's Mirror's Edge >.< Glorious.

If your wallet needs some help, you can probably beat Bioshock in a rental's worth of time, and buy it later if you really really like it.

I loved it up until the last act.

I dunno... I was so pumped for this game, when I heard it was coming to PS3 I went out and bought a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. And I read it. 1168 pages of heavy-handed objectivist philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed most of it - aside from the 70-page monologue which took me about a week and a half of bathroom breaks to muddle through - but the point is this:

I am so dedicated to buying and enjoying Bioshock, I went out and read fucking Atlas Shrugged because a reviewer said something akin to "you get more enjoyment out of Bioshock if you're familiar with Atlas Shrugged."

My wallet does need help. I'd love to get my hands on Dead Space, and I'm having trouble deciding between Fallout 3 and Mirror's Egde... but I'll be buyin' Bioshock. Have no doubt of that!

I must thank you, because what you wrote about Atlas Shrugged prompted me to do a little browsing on Wikipedia, where I found the following gem:
    "Published in 2003, Knickers contains a total of 14,156,074 characters (including spaces). Its claim to the title is somewhat dubious, however—although the work totals 2078 pages and 17 chapters, Chapter 14 ("Leap of Faith") consists of almost nothing but the word "thanks" repeated between pages 52 and 2069.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Published in 2003, Knickers contains a total of 14,156,074 characters (including spaces). Its claim to the title is somewhat dubious, however—although the work totals 2078 pages and 17 chapters, Chapter 14 ("Leap of Faith") consists of almost nothing but the word "thanks" repeated between pages 52 and 2069.

Oh my god.

I hope they actually tried to give a reason for that beside blatant page filling.

SarahBlasko_WTSWTSWH_sig2new.jpg
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hear all kinds of things about how good the story are, or how you sohuld see such and such setting.

But who the fuck cares. Game is boring generic trash to play.

Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hear all kinds of things about how good the story are, or how you sohuld see such and such setting.

Or not. I, in fact, very much liked the gameplay.

Who knew.

rvcontre78 wrote:
    This game is all about the racism. I hate to think about all the backlash that will be involved but the truth must be told. The truth about a man who kills people by dropping them from his crane. Political correctness be damned. Damned to the max.
    edited September 2008

Says the guy with the Team Fortress 2 sig. I could say the very same thing about it, and I will: Team Fortress 2 is boring generic trash to play.

What's that? Opinions?

XbJml1e.jpg?1
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not generic, but it does kind of get repetitive, especially after the narrative drops out, ie entire the final third

camo_sig2.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoilers for ending type stuff:
    Spoiler:

I do adore Bioshock, but the above is what has been irking me since my first run through.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman MD; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Spoiler:

I do adore Bioshock, but the above is what has been irking me since my first run through.

I'm really just quoting Shawn Elliott, Jonathan Blow and a few others here, but I agree with you:
    Spoiler:

• -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Spoiler:

I'm really just quoting Shawn Elliott, Jonathan Blow and a few others here, but I agree with you:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    well, I mean, aren't you really just complaining about the fact that the narrative is what's paramount and that most games really only offer the illusion of choice anyway? I can't imagine a game with complete moral ambiguity holding my interest for more then ten minutes... GTA is probably as close as I've seen and that A) barely counts and B) is barely entertaining.

It seems like my ability to walk into a game a kill off anyone I choose would make it completely impossible to tell any kind of interesting story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited September 2008
    Passage is a brilliant example of how to do morality and consequences in games.

It is also the perfect explanation of why big budget AAA titles are just not going to achieve that kind of thing easily, not in the current industry climate, and probably not for a long, long time.