As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Somewhere, Beyond the Sea. Somewhere, waiting for me.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didn't know it came with a mandatory install, but at least it's nice enough to play jazzy elevator music and show off various ads from different businesses in Rapture.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't, like, every PS3 game come with a mandatory install?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No.

Not even close.

EDIT: The only ones I know off the top of my head are this, DMC4, Lost: Via Domus, Grand Theft Auto IV and Heavenly Sword.

It's funny because Uncharted, which has the quickest load times I've seen on the system and is by far the best-looking game, has no install.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

No.

Not even close.

EDIT: The only ones I know off the top of my head are this, DMC4, Lost: Via Domus, Grand Theft Auto IV and Heavenly Sword.

It's funny because Uncharted, which has the quickest load times I've seen on the system and is by far the best-looking game, has no install.

Huh.

I stand corrected then!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I spent all last week kicking the shit out of Dead Space and really sucking the marrow out of that game. Went through it at least 5 times, really enjoyed it - had no problem calling it a masterpeice.

But after just completing the medical area (level 2? do they even call 'em levels?), I've got no problem saying I'm enjoying Bioshock more, just thanks to the story, atmosphere, writing and voice work.

Don't get me wrong, Dead Space did everything right. Every single facet of it was great. And even though Bioshock doesn't look as good, even though it doesn't even play as good, I'm having more fun sneaking around Rapture than I did the Ishimura.

Funny how that works.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Liked the Medical area? Oh just wait until you get to Fort Frolic.

One of my favorite levels of any game.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    What made Bioshock such an experience for me was
    the explanation of linearity that it provided. We're all so used to following orders from some off screen voice that it's part of how we play games in general. We're just as programed as Jack was, and so the very basic choices that one would normally think are inevitable and logical are in fact forced in the narrative of the game.

The Would you kindly? reveal was a profound one for me. I obviously knew the nature of your 'ally' but had not thought the second layer was there, with not only the character we are playing being manipulated, but our own meta game perceptions as well.
    Yeah, this was interesting... and then the game threw it away.
    If you had been given any freedom at all once Tenenbaum removed the conditioning, it would have been a pretty fantastic way to make a comment on game design. Instead, nothing changes, you end up following her orders just as slavishly. It left me totally uninspired by the end, which didn't help with the problems that everyone else is mentioning (no new enemies, more fetchquests, no rivet gun, wanting to pound idiotic Little Sisters into the ground).

What made it even worse was that Atlas never really told me to do anything I didn't already want to. As much as I remember, his "orders" were all either the only sensible thing to do or appealing to my basic altruism, like helping his family. I really felt no animosity towards him, even when his true identity was revealed. In the last third of the game, I just really wanted to leave and let the two assholes fight it out amongst themselves.

If they had given you a 'sphere up right after Ryan (just so you knew you had the option!), and a way to kill Tenenbaum, I might be considering this one of my favorite games ever. As it is, it left me cold.

EDIT: Not that there weren't absolutely fantastic parts, of course. PS3 owners without a PC should definitely at least rent it. Beautiful art, music and voice even if you like nothing else.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bought.

Installed. (PS3)

Now...the question is Dead Space or BioShock? Both of them are ready for me. I don't know if I'm ready for them, though.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    the explanation of linearity that it provided. We're all so used to following orders from some off screen voice that it's part of how we play games in general. We're just as programed as Jack was, and so the very basic choices that one would normally think are inevitable and logical are in fact forced in the narrative of the game.

The Would you kindly? reveal was a profound one for me. I obviously knew the nature of your 'ally' but had not thought the second layer was there, with not only the character we are playing being manipulated, but our own meta game perceptions as well.
    If you had been given any freedom at all once Tenenbaum removed the conditioning, it would have been a pretty fantastic way to make a comment on game design. Instead, nothing changes, you end up following her orders just as slavishly. It left me totally uninspired by the end, which didn't help with the problems that everyone else is mentioning (no new enemies, more fetchquests, no rivet gun, wanting to pound idiotic Little Sisters into the ground).

What made it even worse was that Atlas never really told me to do anything I didn't already want to. As much as I remember, his "orders" were all either the only sensible thing to do or appealing to my basic altruism, like helping his family. I really felt no animosity towards him, even when his true identity was revealed. In the last third of the game, I just really wanted to leave and let the two assholes fight it out amongst themselves.

If they had given you a 'sphere up right after Ryan (just so you knew you had the option!), and a way to kill Tenenbaum, I might be considering this one of my favorite games ever. As it is, it left me cold.

EDIT: Not that there weren't absolutely fantastic parts, of course. PS3 owners without a PC should definitely at least rent it. Beautiful art, music and voice even if you like nothing else.
    Every single thing around you the entire game has been pointing you towards the fact that people SHOULDN'T be given complete freedom. Complete freedom is what turned Rapture into a shithole.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So then give the player complete freedom, and yell at him (like the game already does!) if they're a douche. What's wrong with that?

The perils of absolute freedom seem a lot more real if you get to experience any of it.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    Bought.

Installed. (PS3)

Now...the question is Dead Space or BioShock? Both of them are ready for me. I don't know if I'm ready for them, though.

I'd have to say Dead Space first, Bioshock second.

From what I've heard (many, many times since its 360 release) Bioshock doesn't really lend itself to multiple playthroughs, unless (like me) you're one of those folks who played through Doom 3 like 10 times 'cause you loved the game world so much.

Dead Space, on the other hand, is fucking designed for multiple playthroughs. So I say beat Dead Space once (on hard - trust me), then dip your toe in Bioshock.

Perhaps, like me, you'll be surprised how a less-pretty game with less-solid gameplay can be more compelling than one that's a year and a half newer and polished to a mirror shine.

Chance on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've just got to Fort Frolic again on my current playthough.

It never gets old.

I've also grown to love the fully upgraded shotgun.

Also I can't be the only one who feels sorry for the Big Daddies. Once I've got all the Little Sisters in a level, I just let em wander round, occasionally hypnotizing one to lend me a hand. Then once their time is up they wander off, and I see em away with a nod and a "Thanks, Bubbles."

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    I've just got to Fort Frolic again on my current playthough.

It never gets old.

I've also grown to love the fully upgraded shotgun.

Also I can't be the only one who feels sorry for the Big Daddies. Once I've got all the Little Sisters in a level, I just let em wander round, occasionally hypnotizing one to lend me a hand. Then once their time is up they wander off, and I see em away with a nod and a "Thanks, Bubbles."

I actually kinda think that Fort Frolic DOES get old. The first time through, it was absolutely brilliant. But since all of the cool stuff is scripted, you already know everything that will happen the second time through.

Medical Pavilion still got me going on my last playthrough though, because at that point you're weak enough that Splicers are still scary, and you don't know what they're gonna do. I remember at one point I killed a Splicer, and from somewhere else in the level a Splicer with the same voice actress started cackling, and no matter where I looked I couldn't find her.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Atlas never orders you to do anything you wouldn't normally do in a video game, which is the meta level that I enjoy. The ending levels of the game were hastily done, and I agree that there should have been much more deviation in the post-Ryan game for people going save/harvest.

I had no problem following Tenebaum's orders at that point though, since it was that or die, but some choice would have been good.
    Give me the choice and dialogue system from Mass Effect in the Bioshock setting and it'd have been perfect, but as it was the game is still amazing.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hmmmm...

After installing the game, I wanted to see that BioShock 2 trailer. Couldn't find it.

Marikir on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how are you PS3 folks that hadn't gotten a chance to experience BioShock yet, enjoying it? :D

It's a really sweet game, I'm glad to see it finally came out for the PS3 so more people could enjoy it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So how are you PS3 folks that hadn't gotten a chance to experience BioShock yet, enjoying it? :D

It's a really sweet game, I'm glad to see it finally came out for the PS3 so more people could enjoy it.

I am fucking loving it. Bioshock is like... it'll seem like a strange analogy, but I wanna' compare it to The Simpsons. When BS first appeared it was a technical marvel, particularly the water effects - everything looked bogglingly good.

A year later, Bioshock isn't even close to the best-looking game on the PS3. Like, not at all. The water effects are still impressive, but apart from that it's not even close to the prettiest game I've played. If you'll recall, when Simpsons first appeared its animation, art design and overall visual quality were pretty much in the shitter. What saved it was exemplary writing and voice work.

Bioshock clearly sets standards for immersion, thanks to its art direction, writing and voice work. (to be con't)

Chance on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I forgot what the hell Gene Traitor meant.

I also forgot why the deal with smugglers.

I really think I need to buy this game again.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Small PS3 field = 2 posts.

I believe I just beat Fort Frolick last night, or at least
    I just put up the last picture into Sander Cohen's masterpeice, he allowed me to get that new plasmid under the glass, and I decided to save it before killing him and opening his 'muse box' - I'll load up that save today and leave him be.
    I'm trying for a 'good' run my first time, 'cause I figure the "do what you want, take care of your own needs first" mentality is what got Rapture into the mess it's in.

I think I'll start saving in alternating slots prior to every Little Sister I encounter, so I can have one available to harvest prior to the ending...

Or better yet, I won't. This is definintely a game I'll wanna' play through twice.

Either way, when I played Dead Space last week I was prepared to call it a masterpeice and acknowledge I would have to purchase it at some point. That's still true this week, but now that I've gotten my hands on Bioshock, I know I'll buy it before DS.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really wish I had never looked in Cohen's muse box
    If I hadn't, I could have continued to imagine that it was something truly horrifying, rather than just health and ammo.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

If I recall, the gene traitors were people who were over using plasmids to splice themselves. They were going to the smugglers to get the illegal plasmids that Ryan did not want out in the wild, which is what started the the entire downward spiral of Rapture.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I played the demo on PS3. I really liked it.

My brother, who is still playing it on his PC, was consulted and he said "Buy it. Trust me. Buy it."

I had some extra cash, so I've done so. Of course, I've also bought a lot of games this past two weeks, so I'm backlogged like crazy. I'm in a serious quandry of what to start.

Chance (above) recommended I do Dead Space first, then this. I just don't know. My few non-serious, new games have so far kept my attention, but I'm thinking I want a good story. Maybe I'll start both and go back and forth for a few nights. See which one grabs me.

But I will say that from what I saw in the demo, I was VERY impressed. And creeped out.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'll wrap you in a sheet...

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've never played Dead Space, but it would have be really, really stellar to top Bioshock in terms of story and immersion.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

If I recall, the gene traitors were people who were over using plasmids to splice themselves. They were going to the smugglers to get the illegal plasmids that Ryan did not want out in the wild, which is what started the the entire downward spiral of Rapture.

I don't remember the term "gene traitor" from anywhere, but I'm pretty sure the smuggling and the plasmids were relatively separate issues.
    Selling products from the surface world wasn't initially illegal. However, items such as bibles undermined Ryan's rhetoric, and surface-world products were more popular than Rapture-made ones, because Rapture had fewer resources to make stuff out of so it was generally lower-quality; the alcohol is watered-down and the cigarettes contain almost no tobacco. For those reasons, contact with the surface world became prohibited, which created a massive smuggling industry. Smugglers were considered a relatively benign threat until Ryan began to understand just how dangerous Fontaine could be, and how he essentially controlled all smuggling operations at one level or another, and was pouring money from it into his poor-houses and Fontaine Futuristics, which made plasmids.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've never played Dead Space, but it would have be really, really stellar to top Bioshock in terms of story and immersion.

Seems that Chance felt that Dead Space was a good appetizer/lead in to BioShock.
    Chance wrote:
    I'd have to say Dead Space first, Bioshock second.

From what I've heard (many, many times since its 360 release) Bioshock doesn't really lend itself to multiple playthroughs, unless (like me) you're one of those folks who played through Doom 3 like 10 times 'cause you loved the game world so much.

Dead Space, on the other hand, is fucking designed for multiple playthroughs. So I say beat Dead Space once (on hard - trust me), then dip your toe in Bioshock.

Perhaps, like me, you'll be surprised how a less-pretty game with less-solid gameplay can be more compelling than one that's a year and a half newer and polished to a mirror shine.

Argh. My cup runneth over and it's drowning me!

Marikir on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As far as immersion and gameplay goes Dead Space most definitely beats Bioshock. I can't comment on the story because I'm not that far into Dead Space yet though.

tofu on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I'll wrap you in a sheet...

For me, that was the first of many 'oh, fuck this' (from a character perspective. I was enjoying myself, if somewhat worried that pee was about to come out) moments in the game. If it had been me down there for real, I'd have tried to swim back up before going after the spider splicer.

Many, remember the mannequins in Fort Frolic? That shit was intense the first time through.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it just me, or was there no cussing in the PC demo for BioShock and a whole lot of it in the 360 demo?

rayofash on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

My brother, who is still playing it on his PC, was consulted and he said "Buy it. Trust me. Buy it."

I had some extra cash, so I've done so. Of course, I've also bought a lot of games this past two weeks, so I'm backlogged like crazy. I'm in a serious quandry of what to start.

Chance (above) recommended I do Dead Space first, then this. I just don't know. My few non-serious, new games have so far kept my attention, but I'm thinking I want a good story. Maybe I'll start both and go back and forth for a few nights. See which one grabs me.

But I will say that from what I saw in the demo, I was VERY impressed. And creeped out.

I would recommend NOT playing both at the same time. Both of the games are fantastic for their ambiance and their world, ESPECIALLY Bioshock. Rapture becomes a real place to you. It would be like reading two fantastic books at once, yeah, you could do it, but I doubt you will get invested in either story as much as you would if you did it one at a time.

I'm not sure which to recommend first, they are both fantastic games and you can't really go wrong.

Though, make sure to download your Elite suit before it costs money if you decide to do Bioshock first.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »

I would recommend NOT playing both at the same time. Both of the games are fantastic for their ambiance and their world, ESPECIALLY Bioshock. Rapture becomes a real place to you. It would be like reading two fantastic books at once, yeah, you could do it, but I doubt you will get invested in either story as much as you would if you did it one at a time.

I'm not sure which to recommend first, they are both fantastic games and you can't really go wrong.

Though, make sure to download your Elite suit before it costs money if you decide to do Bioshock first.

Yeah, I got the PS3 free suit. (Obsidian? Is that it's name?) Got that before I even bought the game.

You raise a good point though.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It doesn't. I think I'm one level from the end, but thus far Bioshock beats Dead Space like a red headed stepchild when it comes to story, voice work, immersion and art design.

Dead Space wins polish (it's a year older) and gameplay, but only because the gameplay in DS is so damn tight. There's not much to it in terms of depth, but it's all executed perfectly. Don't get me wrong - DS is very immersive, but yeah.

Bioshock loses out on polish and gameplay 'cause, well, it was state-of-the-art a year and a half ago, and it's a console FPS. In addition, there are a few ways it seems that you can break the game if you stack your plasmids and tonics right. At the moment I'm a sneaky sonofabitch with massive upper body strength and super eve efficiency. I'm not really scared of anything, any more, though I am only playing it on normal.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'd kill for a Bioshock remake with the Dead Space engine and controls.

Exarch on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Many, remember the mannequins in Fort Frolic? That shit was intense the first time through.
    You mean those down the secret stair, in the big, flooded "warehouse"? I never made it down there on my first play-through but I checked a walkthrough on a replay;
    Was it just me or did the mannequins "sneak up" when you turned your back to the particular spot they spawned in? Pretty intense fight, psychologically. "WTF YOU WEREN'T THERE BEFORE".

Only thing I really missed on the play-through was some real T-virus-freaks. Giant squids or splicer dogs would've been awesome.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just finished my first playthrough (100% saved, never harvested), and I gotta' say - I was expecting some super-shitty ending, due to all the bitching I've heard about it over the past year. I liked that ending! Even got me a little misty.

Anyway, time to jump back in on a harder difficulty and harvest every little girl in the place. Time to become that which I hate most!

A capitalist!

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Just finished my first playthrough (100% saved, never harvested), and I gotta' say - I was expecting some super-shitty ending, due to all the bitching I've heard about it over the past year. I liked that ending! Even got me a little misty.

Anyway, time to jump back in on a harder difficulty and harvest every little girl in the place. Time to become that which I hate most!

A capitalist!

Assuming you got the good ending. The bad ending is much stupider.

The good ending's not bad it's just either thematically irrelevant or does a terrible job of conveying its point, depending on how you look at the story.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Good version was fucking awesome and beautiful. Very subtle for a gaming ending. Too bad I had to see it at a grainy youtube showing :(
    I couldn't connect with the bad ending at all, and except for the very first few seconds I didn't even understand what was happening.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The (good) ending really bothered me.
    When exactly had "family" ever come up as a theme in the game beforehand? I thought it was all about freedom and objectivism and stuff.

And frankly, by the end I hated those asshole Little Sisters. Being some kinda father figure to them was not a reward!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The (good) ending really bothered me.
    When exactly had "family" ever come up as a theme in the game beforehand? I thought it was all about freedom and objectivism and stuff.

And frankly, by the end I hated those asshole Little Sisters. Being some kinda father figure to them was not a reward!

I loved the good ending, short though it was.
    As the game goes on you have everything social stripped from you. Your friends, family, even your identity. At the end you get that back. Not only that, but after a whole game separated from other people by glass walls, you get to see yourself holding the hands of the little sisters who have become your family. I teared up a little.

Exarch on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I'm really glad my PC has been beefed up enough to properly play this again. Thanks for reminding me, thread! Decided to give it a shot after the shoddy performance by underpowered PC gave last year. Dropped a good 4-5 hours into it.

So very happy Wrenching actually IS good. I was really afraid that I was wasting my time and ADAM on something useless, as melee in the FPS genre doesn't always turn out too well.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png