As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEARS OF WAR 2

The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
gow2doubledriplogoblackgz1.jpg

PA Clan Tag friend-of-a-friend...thing PA GoW 2 add it as a buddy!

Rather then necropost my older defunct Gears 2 thread I thought I'd make a spanking new one. But fret not, I deliver with content in spades. I'll rework the OP into an overall Gears thread that can be pasted into future Gears threads. I'm getting it in early because since the 29th the media blitz has started with regular dev diary videos every week and new previews all the time until launch in about a month.

==WHAT IS GEARS OF WAR?==

Gears of War 2 is a video game.
Gears of War 2 is a tactical third-person shooter video game in development by Epic Games and to be published by Microsoft Game Studios exclusively for the Xbox 360. It is the sequel to the critically acclaimed best-seller Gears of War, and was announced by lead designer Cliff Bleszinski during the February 20, 2008 Game Developers Conference. The game will use a heavily upgraded version of the Unreal Engine 3. During E3 2008, a worldwide release date for the game was set for November 7, 2008.

In Gears of War 2, the Locust have found a way to make giant emergence holes capable of destroying entire cities at once. Marcus Fenix and the rest of the COG Delta Squad are now drilling underground to "take the fight to the Locust." In a teaser of the first scenes of gameplay of Gears of War 2, COG soldiers engage in battle with a large army of Locust as they travel to drill into the underground region. Comic book writer Joshua Ortega says, "The stakes are raised. This is humanity's last stand. Everything is at risk. Nothing is safe."

Gow2_offbox.jpg

==WHAT'S NEW?==
Taken from GamePro
Cliff says, "There will be no Kryll or Berserkers in the game." Cliff claims that he wants gamers to have a new experience and not just treading on familiar ground. However, he goes on to say that,"They might work their way back in in the future in some new interesting way."

Brumaks are plentiful in the game and the article says that at some point late in the game, you will actually get to ride and take control of one.

The Butcher, a new Boomer class enemy, is a creepy looking dude. He wields a large cleaver and can take a lot of damage. The article doesn't state whether he is in the campaign mode, but he is at least confirmed for Horde.

Another new Boomer class enemy is the Grinder (dude wearing the Pope-type hat in the 'Rendezvous' trailer). They kinda look like a Boomer took a Theron guard's armor and they wield the new Mulcher and yell "GRIIIND!!!" before they strike.

The Mauler is yet another new enemy that looks really badass. They are giant Melee fighters that wield a flail along with a giant shield. Once again, it is unclear if they are in the campaign, but they are confirmed for Horde.

Taking General Raam's place is SKORGE, the leader of the Kantus caste. He looks REALLY badass and looks similar to a Predator. He wields a dual-bladed chainsaw staff. From the looks of the weapon based on the concept art that released, it breaks off into two separate pieces (ala dual-wielding "chainsaw axes".
If RAAM was Boba Fett then Skorge is Jabba the Hutt.

The Mulcher (gatling cannon) can overheat, so you have to time some presses of LB (Left Shoulder Button) to prevent it from doing so.

The other new weapon is the Mortar Launcher. The gun will also be placed in spots around the maps that will be "far away from the battle." You can fire it from the hip, but it will only kill you.

The gold Lancer can be earned without buying the Limited Edition (contrary to what Cliff has previously stated in an interview).

Those attending midnight releases will also get something special- The Golden Hammerburst. Yes, you can earn this one too.

Previously, it was thought that Gridlock and Subway would be the only Gears 1 maps making a return. Well, Epic is doing something different. There will be release day DLC that will contain those two previously mentioned maps along with Canals, Mansion, and Tyro Station (no Fuel Depot love just yet). These five maps will be free of charge, but the only way to get them is if you receive a voucher, which every NEW copy of the game will contain. Take that used game market. (Editor's Note: This is a brilliant move by Epic to ensure that NEW retail copies are sold instead of losing revenue from the resale market. This is a major shot across the bow of the used games market originally initiated with the Bikes DLC for Burnout Paradise. This will do a lot for the industry because it will change the status quo.)

Horde mode can be played on every multiplayer map, even the Gears 1 remakes.

Cliff hints that there will be new environmental hazards to take the place of the Kryll. One such hazard is that on the new multiplayer map titled "Avalanche". As you already know, there will be an Avalanche that will, "wipe out players and uncover new weapons (Mulcher & Mortar)."

In regards to the photo editor, it can be used by anyone who is either dead or in spectator mode. Epic claims that there will be monthly contests for best pictures and captions and such. However, the article says that the photo editor's features won't all be present on release day and will be made available through an update.

Tai and Dizzy, the two new members of Delta Squad, are separated from Marcus and Dom early in the game and are last seen in a stand-off against Skorge (on the Derrick & Grindlifts-level).

The main underground section you will be in is called the Hollows, which is home to the Kantus and Rockworms.

==SCREENSHOTS==
GamerSyde ones are said to be direct feed not bullshots but take that with a grain of salt.

1560_0012.jpg

1560_0013.jpg
Would you like to see more screens:
1560_0014.jpg
1560_0015.jpg
1560_0010.jpg
1560_0005.jpg
1560_0004.jpg
1560_0004-1.jpg
==VIDEOS==
Most of these are from the Sept 29th Media Day
E3 2008 Gameplay Demo
GTTV Gameplay Demo
Would you like to see more videos:
==PREVIEWS==
GamesRadar Horde mode preview
GamesRadar Campaign mode preview
EuroGamer hands-on campaign preview
Cool London event for Gears. Lots of information and previews of various modes
VideoGamer early build preview
Gamespot campaign mode preview
Cliff Bleszinski : "We are pushing the Xbox 360 with Gears 2"
Cliff Bleszinski : "I hate the fucking PS3 controller"

Gears of War 2 is not coming to PC ever. Ever ever ever. Not even a delayed release.

==EXTRA CRAP?==
Here is a bunch of merchandising for those die hard fans I guess

gears2zune-1.jpg
Gears of War 2 Zune if anyone cares.
Microsoft launches special edition Zune

Gears 2 also comes in a variety of money grabbing special editions. The best value is arguably this:
51roH5Uo48L._SS500_.jpg
which is just a standard LE with a bunch of art books, making-of DVD and stuff like that.
It also comes with a replica photograph of Dom and his wife because OH IT'S SO EMOTIONAL!

Grab it from Amazon or whatever. Here in the UK it is only £5 more expensive so I guess worth the money.

There is also a ridiculous full size replica Lancer that can be bought but I am not going to post it out of principle. It won't fit in your Halo 3 cat helmet though.

==GAMERTAGS AND LEADERBOARDS==

Will go up closer to release. PM me if you want on the list or post in here.

2898642865_1cdafd0146.jpg
"Commence posting minions!"

The_Scarab on

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know it's cool to hate on Gears, but I'm totally onboard the Cole Train for Gears 2. I haven't been really keeping up on it but my own philosophy is to keep my hype checked and not ruin any surprises for myself that I don't have to.

Also, for us Murricans, Best Buy will apparently be offering as a preorder bonus ... an RC version of the Centaur for free. Fuckin' A.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gears was awesome in coop. I want more coop tastiness please.

Multi I hope is a bit better, and the coop taking on waves ( I assume that's horde mode?) sounds badass.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are we allowed a plot this time?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have pre ordered this with the full size Lancer

Does

Does this make me a bad person?

Mr Bubbles on
    edited October 2008
    It makes me sad that in the Uk ours has to be painted gold, because apparently it looks like a real gun.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I lust after the full-sized Lancer. I really hope someone stocks them over here, because I would buy it in an instant.

edit: wait, Twag, how and where did you do that?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2008
    You're in the UK, aren't you, darleysam? Gamestation have an exclusive lancer, but it's spray painted gold because it apparently looks too real.

Despite not looking at all real.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gears 2 makes me moist in my special places.

One thing I'm very curious about is how much of the environment is destructible, the tech demo at the Game develper's conference showed the now infamous meatcube, water caustics, new lighting algorithm and flock technology, but I wanna see walls and cover turn to dust.

Waka Laka on
    edited October 2008
    You're in the UK, aren't you, darleysam? Gamestation have an exclusive lancer, but it's spray painted gold because it apparently looks too real.

.... bugger :(

Time to stop by Games Workshop and pick up some paints!

edit: this in-store only? Can't see it on their site.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It would be pretty fucking rad if the lancer could at least shoot nerf darts.

Waka Laka on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so hyped about Gears of War 2, still contemplating whether I want to fail my final university year or not by buying a year of Live for the Horde and Co-op Campaign modes, as well as other forthcoming games D:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only disappointment for me is the lack of (story-based) 4/5 player co-op. I imagine there will probably be Dom/Marcus only sections which is why it's left off but meh... would of been pretty fun if they managed to do it. Oh well!

aBlank on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crap, I didn't realize the predator was in this game.

I'm hoping after this comes out the first one will drop to a reasonable price.

Pemulis on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    aBlank wrote: »
    The only disappointment for me is the lack of (story-based) 4/5 player co-op. I imagine there will probably be Dom/Marcus only sections which is why it's left off but meh... would of been pretty fun if they managed to do it. Oh well!

That reminds me, we'll probably get those annoying Marcus/Dom split sections were there's no chance for recovery :/

Hoping Skorge's chainsaw staff is usable in multi :D

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Crap, I didn't realize the predator was in this game.

I'm hoping after this comes out the first one will drop to a reasonable price.

Dont count on it. Some of the achievements and unlockable multiplayer stuff in Gears 2 is only available if you have a Gears 1 gamesave on your HDD. So they probably expect to sustain sales of the first one.

The_Scarab on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    It would be pretty fucking rad if the lancer could at least shoot nerf darts.

My exact thoughts. I am sure someone will find a way to make it happen, but then again you could just do that mod for the longshot that adds a bob the builder (or something similar) chainsaw to the font of it.

WingedWeasel on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As far as including an actual story is concerned, I remember reading/seeing something by the devs about them trying to put a decent story into Gears of War 2. Their claim was that in the first game they were apprehensive about trying to work a story into the game so they kept the plot pretty minimal. Whether that's the actual case or not, supposedly Gears of War 2 is actually supposed to have a plot.

More importantly, double chainsaw staff. And the Cole Train (it's always a smooth ride). Chainsaw duels.

Nice to see a dev completely embrace over-the-top awesomeness. Yeah, maybe normal humans don't look like that and slapping a chainsaw onto an assault rifle isn't realistic. Who the hell cares about realism when you're fighting a giant living tank from the bowels of the earth?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chainsaw clash with Skorge and like Darth Maul split his chain staff thing in half and oh my god that would be AWESOME

The_Scarab on
  • OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Yep, still gonna buy it day 1. Gears was sweet, Gears 2 looks to be just as sweet, if not more so.

Omegasquash on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Are we allowed a plot this time?

Screw that! The only plot I want is, "Hey, there are some bad guys over there that are totally lacking a chainsaw up the ass, please help them with that problem." :P

And Cole Train, lots and lots of Cole Train. Actually, kill off Marcus, and make Cole the main character.

EDIT: I totally want in on the gamertag thing. Check out the sig.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This screen is fucking amazing! God I want this!
    1560_0014.jpg

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually just got a 360 a few months ago and finally got my hands on GoW a few days ago. I'm not very far, but I'm definitely enjoying it and look forward to the second one.

Abotu how long is Gears of War in a first playthrough?

SteevL on
  • ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    I actually just got a 360 a few months ago and finally got my hands on GoW a few days ago. I'm not very far, but I'm definitely enjoying it and look forward to the second one.

Abotu how long is Gears of War in a first playthrough?

Kinda depends on difficulty and/or co-op... All-in-all I'de say like 8ish hours? Maybe a little less...

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, wanting plot from Gears is like wanting sense from MGS or deep mechanics from peggle.

In fact, the first one had too much plot.

The entire plot should've been Cole Train yelling "KILL SHIT"

Khavall on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I pre ordered form Amazon with the lancer. the only thing that sucks about it is I won't get the game until Nov 12. But still I could not pass this baby up.
    gearslancer1.jpg
    gears2lancer2.jpg

Artoria on
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I can wait a few extra days to get the LE with a goddamn full-size Lancer.

So bought.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

.... bugger :(

Time to stop by Games Workshop and pick up some paints!

edit: this in-store only? Can't see it on their site.

No idea. thought I saw it on their site.

It could be it's all preordered out of course.

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited October 2008
    Nope, I'm a tard, just saw it as a big, bold advert on their site.

£130 though... :(

Just wish it wasn't gold.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    this is my favourite game ever

AND NOW THEY ADDED MINIGUNS

AND EVEN MORE STEREOTYPES YESSSSSS

i don't care about what people say about the story it all makes sense if you just imagine it is the fevered latent homosexual dreams of marcus on death row

Nuzak on
    edited October 2008
    I lust after the full-sized Lancer. I really hope someone stocks them over here, because I would buy it in an instant.

Gamestation exclusive 'hardcore' edition. Its the limited edition and all the gubbins but with a gold lancer for extra moneys

EDIT: Balls

Mr Bubbles on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm really glad they got rid of Host-Advantage in multiplayer.

This is going to be so much fun.

metaghost on
    edited October 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Gamestation exclusive 'hardcore' edition. Its the limited edition and all the gubbins but with a gold lancer for extra moneys

EDIT: Balls

It's gold, but damnit I'm a whore for these things so I've paid. I could just get a tshirt that says "I'm stupid, ask me for money", but I figure having a gold-coloured replica gun from an xbox game kind of says that already.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So the GoW website has a contest where you simulate an emergency phone call to Seran Emergency Services as a civilian on E-Day.

I am so working on one of these.

Mortal Sky on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    is it entirely gold

because if it is then that is a playa's cannon

Nuzak on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So the GoW website has a contest where you simulate an emergency phone call to Seran Emergency Services as a civilian on E-Day.

I am so working on one of these.

"Yeah there's this like, hole in my garden?"

"What, you mean like a mole or something?"

"Noooo...."

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    is it entirely gold

Bling bling.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    is it entirely gold

Bling bling.

If Soulja Boy bought an oversized replica gun...

Mr Bubbles on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The worst thing is that it's not coming to pc. The first one controlled so well on the pc. It felt at home.

Lalabox on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, Gears 2.

Horde mode, I cannot wait!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lalabox wrote: »
    The worst thing is that it's not coming to pc. The first one controlled so well on the pc. It felt at home.

I guess we'll just have to consider this the "having the best DLC" tax. :lol:

subedii on
This discussion has been closed.