As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEARS OF WAR 2

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lot of the COG stuff got retconned i think, because they couldn't have gone into power after the locust emerge if
    Niles is worrying about the old COG chairman not letting him escape into the mountain

and plus letting loose a race of bug people that drive you to extinction is a horrible way to gain political power

Spoiler for the novel
    Yeah, the COG's relevance was extremely retconned. In the book, they were a fully fledged government and one of the most powerful groups on the planet, decades before Emergence day. Previously, according to the little story and art book that came with GoW1 they had been a minor political party and wound up being the only ones in position to rally humanity when the Locust attacked. GoW 2 meshes with the second book a bit better.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In regards to the Carmines...
    I can totally see the final brother being a total hard ass and an even bigger bad ass than Delta squad all combined. He'll come into battle with a raven and dive out at the last second taking out a Burmak. Lands on a Reaver pilot and tags him in the back of the head with a grenade before leaping to the ground. Once on the ground he pulls out 2 chainsaw knives and takes down an entire squad of locust in seconds all the while Dom and Marcus stand back in shock thinking "We were sent to rescue this guy from what again?" I just want one of the Carmine brothers to be an utter bad ass :p

Psychotic One on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is anyone ever going to start the new thread?

More importantly, I was wondering if anyone had the list of PA players handy. Until this matchmaking shit gets sorted out, I'd like to stick exclusively to playing with PA players.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In regards to the Carmines...
    I can totally see the final brother being a total hard ass and an even bigger bad ass than Delta squad all combined. He'll come into battle with a raven and dive out at the last second taking out a Burmak. Lands on a Reaver pilot and tags him in the back of the head with a grenade before leaping to the ground. Once on the ground he pulls out 2 chainsaw knives and takes down an entire squad of locust in seconds all the while Dom and Marcus stand back in shock thinking "We were sent to rescue this guy from what again?" I just want one of the Carmine brothers to be an utter bad ass :p

C. carmine will fall on his chainsaw and die

Nuzak on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is anyone ever going to start the new thread?

More importantly, I was wondering if anyone had the list of PA players handy. Until this matchmaking shit gets sorted out, I'd like to stick exclusively to playing with PA players.

There is a PA meta tag, it's probably in the OP.

I think it's PA GoW 2

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How does one use a metatag anyway?

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    Add it to your friends list, then view friends of friend and you'll see everyone else from PA that has the meta tag.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Add it to your friends list, then view friends of friend and you'll see everyone else from PA that has the meta tag.

Ah, awesome, thanks.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    Huh, it actually works. Is it going to stay in my Pending list forever, though?

Also, as of this writing only one person is playing the game. :/ What times are usually peak hours for the clan?

Oh, and are there similar groups for other Xbox games (Cod4, Halo 3, etc)?

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been playing 2-player Horde with my friend and brother recently, and it's a lot of fun, but we always have trouble around level 10 when the guys riding the Bloodmounts come into play. Any tips on killing these guys? Usually they just rush up and 1-shot us since they take at least 3 shotgun blasts to kill. We've had some success arranging shields, but it's really tough if we have to start over with no weapons and sometimes the shields just won't plant.

mrflippy on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I've been playing 2-player Horde with my friend and brother recently, and it's a lot of fun, but we always have trouble around level 10 when the guys riding the Bloodmounts come into play. Any tips on killing these guys? Usually they just rush up and 1-shot us since they take at least 3 shotgun blasts to kill. We've had some success arranging shields, but it's really tough if we have to start over with no weapons and sometimes the shields just won't plant.

Do it on Hail and get in the turned over train car, the one that isn't open. The following can't get in

Bloodmounts
    Maulers
    Tickers
    Sires
    Boomers
    Grinders

makes horde a lot easier. Soloed most of it. :)

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Do it on Hail and get in the turned over train car, the one that isn't open. The following can't get in

Bloodmounts
    Maulers
    Tickers
    Sires
    Boomers
    Grinders

I was really hoping for something that would work regardless of the map.

mrflippy on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The map is everything.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The majority of maps have areas where you can wall yourself in with shields. This keeps the big uglies out. I've also had some luck just holding a shield and using a mauler pistol against them. As long as you get some support fire, you should be able to take them down. Shotgunning their face can stun them while they rip off their mask.

aBlank on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Huh, it actually works. Is it going to stay in my Pending list forever, though?

Also, as of this writing only one person is playing the game. :/ What times are usually peak hours for the clan?

Oh, and are there similar groups for other Xbox games (Cod4, Halo 3, etc)?

Its fairly common for 360 players to use metatags for there games. CoD4 had one and I would be surprised if Halo3 doesnt.

Time on the pending list is based on how frequently the controlled of the metatag checks for updates.

That reminds me that I need to check the L4D one....

EDIT: Checking the Gears MetaGTs, it appears they haven't been checked/updated in a while.
    Gears PA Last seen 12/12/08 playing Xbox 360 Dashboard
    PA GoW 2 Last seen 12/09/08 playing Xbox 360 Dashboard

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    I hate this game.

I hate this game, and I hate that I have to hate it.

Yeah, but the single-player is awesome.

What I dislike about the online element, which includes all those things, is how differently balanced it is to the single-player mode. It seems to be a case of charging at the enemy, shotguns blazing, rather than careful movement and use of cover. It bothers me because:

a) I suck at it
    b) it's not much like the game I want to play
    c) it seems horribly imbalanced towards close-quarters combat, which is what the single-player game is exactly telling you not to do

It makes me sad, but I will never ever play Horde unless I'm playing with friends. And no-one on my list has this game :(

Interesting. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I really didn't like the campaign. I thought the story and plot were terrible. The large number of arcade style crosshair shooting levels really took away from my experience.

Regarding the multiplayer though:
    I have played levels where people shotgun charge. It depends on the map. I stink with the shotgun (somehow) so I rarely switch to it.
    Most of the times I play there is a decent amount of teamwork rather than straight charging. Again, I'm not saying all the time and it also depends on the map.

As for horde, yeah, I'd never even begin it without a team of people I know.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited January 2009
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Interesting. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I really didn't like the campaign. I thought the story and plot were terrible. The large number of arcade style crosshair shooting levels really took away from my experience.
    I didn't think the story and plot were very good, but I really enjoy the gameplay and the experience of playing. Though, this would probably have been diminished had I not been playing coop.

mrflippy on
  • capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Bloodmounts
    Maulers
    Tickers
    Sires
    Boomers
    Grinders

I soloed all the way to 50 on security. Get inside the secured area, hide inside the sandbags and you'll have either a grinder or mortar spawn there. Grenades are also within striking distance, and between rounds you can run out and grab ammo/pistols. Very few things come in from straight ahead, mostly from the sides. The only real concern is not letting a mauler or bloodmount get in with you, because they can wreck your shit from close range real fast, and also make things more chaotic than you want it to be as you run around like a maniac trying to kill them.

As for dealing with bloodmounts, always kill the mount first. No real trick besides shooting the shit out of it, and not letting it get close. Also, after you shoot it a bunch of times, you'll see it stop and do an animation where it pulls its mask(?) off. I THINK they're invincible during this animation, so don't shoot while they're doing it (or go ahead and shoot, who am I to tell you what to do, but you'll be wasting ammo :P).

capnrico on
    edited January 2009
    I think multiplayer would be a lot better if bullets did more damage. It takes a small eternity of sustained lancer fire to take someone down, they can run up and smack you over the head quicker. It really just isn't right that it's so close quaters heavy when there's such a good tactical cover system.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I think multiplayer would be a lot better if bullets did more damage. It takes a small eternity of sustained lancer fire to take someone down, they can run up and smack you over the head quicker. It really just isn't right that it's so close quaters heavy when there's such a good tactical cover system.
    It is different with a good connection or LAN, people go down incredibly quickly. I think it is 8 Hammerburst shots to drop someone which takes seconds to unload. On a good connection is is not difficult to do that, there are games where I will just sit back and unload on the enemy with my lancer and score twice as many downs as kills.

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2009
    I'm devastating people at long range right now on blood drive using the hammer burst.

I'm not sure if people know how to deal with non-shotgun rushers online at this point.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    This game just might be saved, I peed myself a little when I read this.

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=650739

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2009
    Awesome stuff, can't wait for that to go live.

Random question, how many hits does it take to make someone stop revving their lancer?

Inquisitor on
  • echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the new shotgun though... Meh.

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    echo 78 wrote: »
    I like the new shotgun though... Meh.

I like the new shotgun too...

But all they are doing are fixing bugs with it.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Awesome stuff, can't wait for that to go live.

Random question, how many hits does it take to make someone stop revving their lancer?

Im pretty sure if the player revving receives any damage the revving stops.

Something like that anyways. Don't quote me, but I'm fairly certain its a very low amount of damage/hits.

Kris_xK on
    edited January 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Something like that anyways. Don't quote me, but I'm fairly certain its a very low amount of damage/hits.

I don't think that's true, I've definitely pumped rounds into people charging me with a chainsaw and they haven't stopped revving. This is in matches where I had good latency too, for the record.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    Inq: I could be completly out to fucking lunch on this.

I know that it takes less hits than in GoW1.

I know, I'm remarkably helpful.

Kris_xK on
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I don't think that's true, I've definitely pumped rounds into people charging me with a chainsaw and they haven't stopped revving. This is in matches where I had good latency too, for the record.

It's usually a stun or slow effect, which is why it's pretty easy to run through a hammerburst, flamethrower, or shotgun, but damn near impossible to run through a lancer. The only time I've seen a shotgun stop a chainsaw is on a headshot, lucky stun, or gib.

Trojan35 on
  • EnciferEncifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    achallengerappearssk3.jpg

Encifer on
    2efkd4k.jpg
    edited January 2009
    So how come they're not prostrating themselves and apologizing profusely for the incredible fuck up they've done with the matchmaking system? 3 months too late and all I get is "yay more achievements".

I'm glad they're imposing penalties for people quitting early, but....that's not really going to stop people from quitting early. I can see this coming back to bite me when I have to quit early due to half the other retards dropping out, and maybe I don't feel like doing four rounds of target practice.

I'm not really confident here. They should be expressing deep humility and apologies for the matchmaking and solemnly swear that it will be fixed 100%. Then offer up that new map pack for free.

Yes, I'm being overly bitter about this, but that's how much Gears 2 has let me down, and the guy behind that article doesn't seem to give two shits of jaded players like me.

edited January 2009
    Oh man I just won a 2 on 3 I went 14-2 and my team mate was 4-7, the other team was so pissed. That is what makes this game worth playing, winning impossible games. I do not know why but I am actually shaking a little bit, that is how intense it was.

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2009
    Trojan35 wrote: »

It's usually a stun or slow effect, which is why it's pretty easy to run through a hammerburst, flamethrower, or shotgun, but damn near impossible to run through a lancer. The only time I've seen a shotgun stop a chainsaw is on a headshot, lucky stun, or gib.

I haven't played multiplayer with other people, but pretty much any damage from the computer-controlled enemies stops my revving.

mrflippy on
    edited January 2009
    It takes a bit of damage to stop a player revving, it feels incredibly random.

Fizban140 on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So how come they're not prostrating themselves and apologizing profusely for the incredible fuck up they've done with the matchmaking system? 3 months too late and all I get is "yay more achievements".

I'm glad they're imposing penalties for people quitting early, but....that's not really going to stop people from quitting early. I can see this coming back to bite me when I have to quit early due to half the other retards dropping out, and maybe I don't feel like doing four rounds of target practice.

I'm not really confident here. They should be expressing deep humility and apologies for the matchmaking and solemnly swear that it will be fixed 100%. Then offer up that new map pack for free.

Yes, I'm being overly bitter about this, but that's how much Gears 2 has let me down, and the guy behind that article doesn't seem to give two shits of jaded players like me.

What exactly is wrong with the match making thats got you so up tight about it? Now, I picked this game up a few months after it came out, just after the first patch, so I have no idea about how bad it was then. All I can say is that I haven't had any real issue with the actual match making process at all.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited January 2009
    Dedicate a weekend to yourself to playing the game online.

Then notice afterward how half the time you spent was waiting for the Matchmaking to put you into a match.

Then count the number of those matches where at least one or more player drops out within the first round.

Also exploits.

edited January 2009
    Matchmaking for me has been pretty darn quick lately.

Inquisitor on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope they release the multiplayer patch soon; I haven't touched the game since I beat the campaign co-op with a friend. I love Gears but I'd rather stare at seizure robots for an hour than tread near the horrid matchmaking and buggy mess it is today.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That's been my main problem with multiplayer since the beginning. The regenerating health, cover system, rolling and roadie running make it almost futile to engage anybody at long range without a sniper or torque bow. Not to mention on game types like execution even if you DO manage to down them, they're back up by the time you can run over there.

Only time I usually get kills from long range is when I manage to spot an enemy who's already fighting one of my team mates.

Lancer's sheer volume of fire helps slow people a lot, combined with it's cheesy chainsaw kills. I love the hammerburst though and I would like to see it powered up a bit. Giving it the ability to headshot in vs gametypes might be a nice start. Or does it already? I've never been able to score one in anything other than horde so maybe I just suck.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.