As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEARS OF WAR 2

1616263646567»

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    That's been my main problem with multiplayer since the beginning. The regenerating health, cover system, rolling and roadie running make it almost futile to engage anybody at long range without a sniper or torque bow. Not to mention on game types like execution even if you DO manage to down them, they're back up by the time you can run over there.

Only time I usually get kills from long range is when I manage to spot an enemy who's already fighting one of my team mates.

Lancer's sheer volume of fire helps slow people a lot, combined with it's cheesy chainsaw kills. I love the hammerburst though and I would like to see it powered up a bit. Giving it the ability to headshot in vs gametypes might be a nice start. Or does it already? I've never been able to score one in anything other than horde so maybe I just suck.

The hammerburst can headshot and instant kill at range.

To be honest, I'd be wary of upping the hammerburst power, now that I'm playing on high sensitivity I can down people in a incredibly quick span of time when I'm on the ball about it. The recoil is a lot easier to control this way. If anyone is silly enough to pick up a weapon when I have my hammerburst out you can be sure they'll be down before they can use it, unless of course they use the safe weapon pick up exploit.

Due to cover, health regen etc. the only way your going to kill someone at long range with a non one hit kill weapon is if they do something stupid. Though lately I've been having a lot of success slamming people in shotgun duels with my hammerburst. They are occupied with the shotgun duel and when they do hit the ground you have someone right on top of them to finish them off.

If you want to kill people at range with the hammerburst you have to play the angles. You have to get in a position to the side or behind the enemies cover. Usually you can unload and get them down before they even realize what is hitting them.

Inquisitor on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do you gentlemen want a new thread started? I'll get on it if needed. Get a proper gamertag list going.

The_Scarab on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Interesting. I was curious so I started a private game with myself as a guest. After some testing I wasn't able to get the hammerburst to headshot even while zoomed. Getting shot in the head took 7-8 shots just like everywhere else.

I did notice that headshots with the boltok, while not a 1 hit kill did significantly more damage. Maybe changing the hammerburst like that would be a good idea. Lancer users could charge in while the hammerburst users force the enemy to keep their heads down behind cover. Blindfire might actually be needed for a change.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New thread puh-puh-please?

My wit is sub-par, I couldn't start a good thread if I tried.
    ^.^

ACC3SS on
    edited January 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Interesting. I was curious so I started a private game with myself as a guest. After some testing I wasn't able to get the hammerburst to headshot even while zoomed. Getting shot in the head took 7-8 shots just like everywhere else.

I did notice that headshots with the boltok, while not a 1 hit kill did significantly more damage. Maybe changing the hammerburst like that would be a good idea. Lancer users could charge in while the hammerburst users force the enemy to keep their heads down behind cover. Blindfire might actually be needed for a change.

Hurm, I know I've gotten a hammerburst headshot kill online before. I was amazed because it was on execution and I just flat out killed the guy at range. Boltok headshots are great times.

Speaking of private games, I just did some chainsaw tests using a private game and a rubberband over the b button of the second player controller. From this I've concluded that the culprit for the chainsaws power online is simply lag, and nothing more. Two aimed shots from a hammerburst anywhere on the body makes the chainsaw stop revving. One shotgun round at even medium range does it. One round from the boltok, one burst from the gorgon, 3 aimed pistol rounds, etc etc all make the chainsaw stop revving.

Also a new thread would be grand.

Inquisitor on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone want to do a Horde game starting at level 30? Like, right now?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone want to do a Horde game starting at level 30? Like, right now?

We are actually starting at level 1 I think. Should be me, my friend and his brother. We plan on going 1-50 tonight.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would so get in on that but it's 5am and I need to sleep.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009
    redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I also put my vote in for a new thread.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    This is not a game to play after an incredibly frustrating 12 hour day at work, getting randoms on your team in a game of teamwork is almost never a good thing. I just do not understand how these people think, they are bad at the game and they just do not care. I want to help them, I give them tips but they do not listen or they do not talk at all. I think I have an ulcer, time to give this game a break for a bit.

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    This is not a game to play after an incredibly frustrating 12 hour day at work, getting randoms on your team in a game of teamwork is almost never a good thing. I just do not understand how these people think, they are bad at the game and they just do not care. I want to help them, I give them tips but they do not listen or they do not talk at all. I think I have an ulcer, time to give this game a break for a bit.

Alternatively let's get an organized PA group going so we can consistently play with good people.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Alternatively let's get an organized PA group going so we can consistently play with good people.

Is there a way to play a public wingman match with just people on your friends list? My friend and I need one more win in wingman to get the friggen achievement. We are on day 3 of trying.

Also, we need maybe 2-3 people (depending who of my friends joins) to beat from level 34 - end of horde. Not right now obviously, but sometime this week I guess.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure if you can do the wingman thing but I'm down for some horde fun sometime.

Inquisitor on
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yes, please! I gave up on matchmaking a long time ago. About two hours after getting the game, in fact. I play system link with friends a bit, but something a bit more regular would be most welcome.

Incidentally, a fun alternative to horde is a 4v5 comp-stomp on meatflag. The AI's not too bad at it, since you don't get much of a chance to hunker down anywhere.

Quake Matt on
    edited January 2009
    Anyone want to join in level 34 Horde asap? We need 2 players.

edit: Scratch that. We need one more.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Still lookin'?

EDIT: Guess not.

OmnomnomPancake on
    edited January 2009
    Do you still need one more?

edited January 2009
    Actually, if my friend and I do Horde (34+) we will need 3 people. Anyone want to do that now? Sorry for missing you all earlier, I got offline.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited January 2009
    Edit: Okay, I'm going to sign on now. Please change it to 30, since that's where I'm up to.

edited January 2009
    2 more people.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited January 2009
    This game must have really dropped off PA's radar if there still isn't a new thread for it. I don't blame you.

Today the newest patch was released, which also made my debut post into Beef Jack, where I'll be contributing news to (and hopefully work my way up when they start looking for reviewers).

I just gave the game a try right now, and how did it fare? No improvements to the Matchmaking whatsoever. Once I joined a game, right into Round 3 I ambush two enemies from behind. As soon as I chainsaw one guy, the host quits the whole match. Also, people still aren't talking and still quitting within the first round.

I wish I could get over my verbal disappointment about this game, but I can't. I wish I could sell it for full price so I could get Left 4 Dead on the 360 (in addition to the PC version).

I can't stand that people are still playing this. I wish there was a massive boycott from players so the fucks in charge would hurry up and fix this piece of shit. But they don't, so they won't.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait.

What are the actual problems? I haven't gotten to the multiplayer yet, is there anything beyond douchey players?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait.

What are the actual problems? I haven't gotten to the multiplayer yet, is there anything beyond douchey players?

It takes more than 5 minutes to connect to anyone 90% the time

super retarded glitches (spawning without weapons for one)

quitters

if the host quits the whole game ends (right?)

douches.

The multi is shit, which is a shame because I love what little I've played.

SkutSkut on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Love Horde. Love It
    If Anyone ever feels like playing gamertag veeoneuhh

hyperpower on
    edited January 2009
    I don't know, I have an absolute blast playing people in this online, even before the update.

Am I just insanely lucky with the matchmaking? I usually get a game in under 30 seconds these days. Lag is rare, hosts dropping has happened to be like 3 times ever.

The TU hopefully fixed a lot of glitches but honestly glitchers tend not to be much harder to kill than anyone else unless they start using a really game breaking one like glitching out of the level.

With the title update I just expect to enjoy things even more.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.