As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

• Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    also with regards Mr Scratch

SPOILERS:
    there's a good chance he's Satan/the equivalant of Stephen King's Man in Black/Randall Flagg

i posted a big theory about it with regards the opening of The Signal and how it fits... hopefully its buried somewhere in this thread.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So looks like kind of a bridge between the two games

• Options
    What two games? It is the second game.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular

They keep saying it's not Alan Wake 2. This looks like Alan Wake 2. I don't understand.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Igpx407 wrote:

They keep saying it's not Alan Wake 2. This looks like Alan Wake 2. I don't understand.

Well hey, how come Assassin's Creed 3 is going to be the fifth game they've made?

jerryseinfeld21798.jpg

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The only way I could possibly be more excited is if theres a new Old Gods song.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote:

Plot! It's got far too many twists and turns and deep stuff to be a mere sequel!

But yeah, this is more or less a sequel. Man, I hope the writing is better this time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    XBLA eh?

Hmm, I wonder if they need to prove can sell Alan Wake before making a full retail sequel.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    I don't have a problem with the game being on XBLA. The reality is, Alan Wake is a single player game, and probably in my top 5 of all time, but once you've got the achievements, you arn't going to replay it. The 2nd hand market looms large, and if game companies wanna ensure they get their revenue, espically relative small developers like Rememdy, then fine by me. I wouldn't mind seeing the stats on how many retail copies of Alan Wake were sold compared to the amount of people who got The Signal or The Writer, I wouldn't be surprised if those DLC episodes sold better than the full game when you factor in the 2nd hand market.

Also, for me, Alan Wake had the best writing of any game released in 2010.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Really looking forward to this, glad it looks like it's the same style as AW and not some bastardised version. I loved the writing in AW, didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but I can see how some people might not agree with the style.

Also BritishDavid, that sig is too tall.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    And here I thought my beloved Alan Wake would never see another game. This is unexpectedly good news.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I never would have thought that Alan Wake would get another game. I loved the first, but I didn't think it did too well sales-wise.

I'll be buyin dis.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:

I'm pretty sure Poets of the Fall more-or-less confirmed this a while back.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:
    I never would have thought that Alan Wake would get another game. I loved the first, but I didn't think it did too well sales-wise.

I'll be buyin dis.
    I don't know if it did great at Retail - but I've seen tons of times on Cheapassgamer when people were getting the game downloadable super cheap. Even if they didn't get a ton of cash when that happened or when the game had a price drop they probably think enough people played it now that an arcade game will sell.

I admit that I've never finished it - I need to go back and do that sometime.

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:

I'm pretty sure Poets of the Fall more-or-less confirmed this a while back.

This just sold me on the game. I still have the OST from the collectors edition on my regular playlist :P

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    There's rumours circulating of a possible Steam release sometime in the future, sparked by someone finding Alan Wake files on Steam.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I bought both DLCs last Xmas during a 360 sale. Never played em!

Now a PC version is a comin' and I will play em!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The 2nd DLC is pretty much the real ending to the game. It's awesome.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    The more people that get to play this game the better.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I heard it was great, but man, stuff kept coming out and I never found the time to play it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    This makes me wonder if we can expect American Nightmare to be released simultaneously on Steam and XBLA (if it's released on Steam at all).

• Options
    I think I said this earlier in the thread, but someone from Remedy said on their boards that Alan Wake, with the cutscenes removed, would have fit the limits as an XBLA title as is. He also said that since then, they've gotten a lot better at compression in the cutscenes, and Microsoft is being cool.

I don't see XBLA being a problem at all, and I have a feeling this is going to be the new trend to combat used game sales. No multiplayer means you can't charge for an online pass. I bet more and more purely singleplayer experiences go this route.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    Have the collectors edition for the 360 and have completed the game twice, plus all DLC. Will be buying and completing it again on the PC for sure. Love the game and also want to throw as much support as i can, so it'll keep going. I also imagine it's going to look real pretty on the PC. Not that it didn't already look good on the Xbox.

Good week to be an Alan Wake fan. /Excited

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Now we're talking. More Alan Wake makes me a happy guy. Games like Alan Wake are a dying breed, so it's nice to see Remedy still plugging along.

In related news, is there a reason to be optimistic about Max Payne 3? I know it's not Remedy. And I was really turned off when I found out it would have multiplayer features.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Hewn wrote:
    Now we're talking. More Alan Wake makes me a happy guy. Games like Alan Wake are a dying breed, so it's nice to see Remedy still plugging along.

In related news, is there a reason to be optimistic about Max Payne 3? I know it's not Remedy. And I was really turned off when I found out it would have multiplayer features.

Have you seen video of it? Looks awesome.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:
    Have you seen video of it? Looks awesome.

It didn't look film noir. But we'll see. I'm not ruling it out yet, but after the heartbreak that was the movie...

I mean, it looks like a good action game, but 80% of what I loved about Max Payne was the setting. The random trips into Max's mind. The television shows. How one level in Max Payne 2 brought one of those TV shows to life.

Basically Alan Wake continued everything I loved about Max Payne.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Haikira wrote:
    Have the collectors edition for the 360 and have completed the game twice, plus all DLC. Will be buying and completing it again on the PC for sure. Love the game and also want to throw as much support as i can, so it'll keep going. I also imagine it's going to look real pretty on the PC. Not that it didn't already look good on the Xbox.

Good week to be an Alan Wake fan. /Excited

Same here! I cannot wait to play through it again on PC. The art style and lighting effects were gorgeous on 360, so running at 60 fps at 1080p is going to be glorious. No more compression artifacts in the fog.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Remedy have said that people loved the story of Alan Wake, but didn't like the combat. So they're making American Nightmare more actioney, and making the action more fun and varied. More fun action is good, but I was personally hoping (knowing it wouldn't happen) for less action. Deadly Premonition needs to influence them so much, but it seems they missed it :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    FYI guys - Best Buy has Alan Wake for $8.00 online. I just picked it up with a $5 GC for $3.00 + tax (free shipping.) Quick PSA in case anyone is looking to buy for a friend, or for themselves.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Remedy have said that people loved the story of Alan Wake, but didn't like the combat. So they're making American Nightmare more actioney, and making the action more fun and varied. More fun action is good, but I was personally hoping (knowing it wouldn't happen) for less action. Deadly Premonition needs to influence them so much, but it seems they missed it :(

I prefer Aliens to Alien, so I'm okay with this. I'm not saying it should turn into Max Payne, but I can dig a more experianced and combat ready Wake.

Plus Scratch is rocking the Randall Flagg feel, and I am so ready to enlighten him. Hard.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! And hopefully they'll still port the DLC even after nobody buys the game (MIA Dead Rising 2 DLC). Now we just need Red Dead Redemption.

Fuck Gears, though. Cliffy B can go fly a kite.

Tzen on
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:

I never played Deadly Premonition, but I agree with hoping for less action. My favorite playthrough of Alan Wake was on Nightmare, running from almost everything. It was such a great experience.

• Options
    The company that takes Deadly Premonitions ideas and really runs with them using current technology is promised all my money forever.

I did notice Alan was using like an Uzi in the trailer.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote:
    The company that takes Deadly Premonitions ideas and really runs with them using current technology is promised all my money forever.

For some reason I'm really cool with the idea of Alan Wake packing an Uzi. "I'm Alan Wake, and I'm a writer, and I'm also a machine pistol enthusiast."

• Options
    Igpx407 wrote:
    mxmarks wrote:

For some reason I'm really cool with the idea of Alan Wake packing an Uzi. "I'm Alan Wake, and I'm a writer, and I'm also a machine pistol enthusiast."

Oh so am I. I just thought right away 'oh wow, more actiony'.

I like the idea that in whatever time has passed between The Writer and American Nightmare, and however Alan GOT to Arizona, he got there and basically said "next time the darkness shows up I want to be ready." and has himself a nice stash of sweet weaponry. I'd like to see some melee stuff too, but I don't know how that would work with a flashlight...(maybe Dead Rising 2 style? Tape a flashlight to a pitchfork and stabby?)

The lack of Barry in the trailer makes me sad though. But whoever this new girl is (I dont think it was Alice...) has me interested in what the hell is going on there. The craziest parts on both DLC packs was the stuff that really dove into his relationship with his wife.

• Options
  • Options
    Another great article about it, from people whove played it:
    http://www.next-gen.biz/features/remedy-alan-wakes-american-nightmare

Highlights:
    They say it starts from where the last DLC left off.
    They call it a spin-off and side thing a couple times. This is NOT Alan Wake 2.
    They say Alan Wake is Twin Peaks, Stephen King. American Nightmare is Tarintino, Grindhouse. The acting is intentionally "hammy" at times, they say they're working within that Grindhousey theme and feel. They call it an episode of the Twilight Zone with Alan Wake's rules.
    They discuss a "hub world". Since this is a sample from a full article, I bet they go into more detail before asking that question because it just is out there like we should know what they're talking about. They say its a little more open world.
    They call the place Night Springs in the interview.
    They say it includes enemies and weapons that wouldn't make sense/fit (not fit like they didnt have time, fit like themeatically fit) in Alan Wake.