Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Full Debate on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FbCPzAsRA

WARNING: The rules for the first Presidential Debate thread apply here as well. This is the only warning you'll get about not filling this thread with stuff unrelated to the debate. And I don't mean tangentially related stuff is OK. This is a debate commentary thread, so don't fill it with commentary about how Palin blows moose and Biden's USRDA of his own feet exceeds 9000 before it starts.

Time: 9:00 EDT / 8:00 PM CDT

Moderator: Gwen Ifill

Webstream: You go find it.

Now, the most important part: Rules for the Vice-Presidential Debate Drinking Game
Spoiler:

necroSYS on
There's no point in you getting both of yourselves all worked up and ready to chart the undiscovered country, then having her flush crimson red, run to the bathroom, and spend twenty minutes straining and grunting and stressing out because you're all ready to deliver your package but there's a three inch thick Sunday paper clogging up the mail slot.

• necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    This is pretty cool. Op Ed questions for the Veep Candidates. Small chance any of these will actually be asked by Ifill, though.

Questions for the Next Vice President

By CRAIG FULLER, ANDREW SULLIVAN, RADLEY BALKO, MIKE DOOGAN, JEFFREY GOLDBERG, JACK F. MATLOCK Jr. , GENE HEALY, PETER MAASS, PETER W. GALBRAITH, ERIC WASSERSTROM, and RACHEL KLEINFELD
    Spoiler:

There's no point in you getting both of yourselves all worked up and ready to chart the undiscovered country, then having her flush crimson red, run to the bathroom, and spend twenty minutes straining and grunting and stressing out because you're all ready to deliver your package but there's a three inch thick Sunday paper clogging up the mail slot.
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User
    edited October 2008
    How would you govern America when as mayor and governor, you hardly had to provide basic public services?

hahahahah

it's funny because it's true

• NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like a lot of those example questions, but not the ones that are just leading question ways of calling out either of them on their gaffes. That is what pundits and interviews on other news stations are for, not national debates.

• VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User
    edited October 2008
    since when did anybody do any debating in one of these things?

• GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honestly I haven't heard Joe Bideon or Sarah Palin ever debate (I use the term loosely) someone so this should be fairly interesting.

sierracrest.jpg
  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Y'know who I look to when I want to know how America feels about the candidates? My parents. They've been steady barometers of candidate populism and they fall in the general area of mid-info voters (aka read newspaper, watch national news). They've been undecided for the good part of this year but after watching the Couric interviews they've pretty much stuck with Obama.

They're looking forward to this debate because they said "they need a good laugh". I'd like to think that the rest of America is doing the same.

28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User
    edited October 2008
    I'm convinced that anyone that is watching these debates to see Sarah Palin fall apart will be sorely disappointed. Her answers will probably have zero actual content, but apparently she's damn good at the no-answer answer.

Qingu wrote: »
    In fact, there was never any decree by God through the Prophet that they couldn't recieve the priesthood.
    The last nine words of this statement are unnecessary.
  • stiliststilist Registered User
    edited October 2008
    edited October 2008
    If I could pick one of the questions from that list, it would be this one:
    The claim by Dick Cheney that he was exempt from certain disclosure requirements because the vice president was a “legislative officer” has been greeted with outrage. But the main power the Constitution grants the vice president is a legislative one — breaking a tie vote in the Senate.

So, Governor Palin, Senator Biden, doesn’t Mr. Cheney have a point?

But, then, if the vice president is a legislative officer, how can he wield the vast executive powers that Mr. Cheney has exercised, including orchestrating and supervising a warrantless wiretapping program?

Can the vice president shift between branches at his convenience? If not, what, in your view, is the constitutional status of the vice presidency?

I'd like to hear both candidates' ideas about the proper role and powers of the vice-president, especially in light of the power grab made by Cheney. (I also think this will be a great time to see Palin fall on her ass, since she barely knows what the constitutional role of the VP is, let alone what it should be.)

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd say this thread needs a poll, but that's just related to my prior experience with debate polls.

My bet is that the debate is a draw. Sarah has something approximating style, but more importantly she can answer a question in a seemingly impressive manner without actually answering it.

• clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User
    edited October 2008
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am excited.

I am going to put on my excitement hat.

PSN: allenquid
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I am excited.

I am going to put on my excitement hat.

Is that like... thought condom?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I assumed it was more like a Governors hat. When you take it off you're not acting as governor, so taking off an excitement hat means less excited.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Its like a jimmy hat only it stops stupidity not aids.

edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

So you'd just be watching Biden talk/shout at himself for an hour or two?

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited October 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »
    I'm convinced that anyone that is watching these debates to see Sarah Palin fall apart will be sorely disappointed. Her answers will probably have zero actual content, but apparently she's damn good at the no-answer answer.

We've only seen her good at the "no-answer answer" when talking about Alaska. Anything dealing with the national stage has been an utter train wreck for her.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    Ohhhhhh I can;t wait, this is going to be glorious, one way or another.

...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

So you'd just be watching Biden talk/shout at himself for an hour or two?

God willing, I could listen to Biden read the dictionary... with his shirt off that come hither look in his eye that creepy constipated jack o lantern grin.

edited October 2008

We've only seen her good at the "no-answer answer" when talking about Alaska. Anything dealing with the national stage has been an utter train wreck for her.

"But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the—it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that..."

edited October 2008

"But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the—it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that..."

[Jack Cafferty] Did you get that? [/Jack Cafferty]

• werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Please let this be true.

If for whatever god awful reason the McCain campaign thinks Palin trying to bring the heat tonight is a good idea, all bets are off. If she gets snarky and attacks, Biden's got as close to free rein to smack her down as anyone is going to get.

This might, might, have worked if it came out of nowhere by throwing him off once long enough to become a soundbite the media could drool over to the exclusion of covering the other 95% of the time he was dominating, but calling it ahead of time takes away the "what the hell did she just say?" value.

edited October 2008

Wasn't that one of the verbatim quotes used in the SNL sketch?

sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »
    The claim by Dick Cheney that he was exempt from certain disclosure requirements because the vice president was a “legislative officer” has been greeted with outrage. But the main power the Constitution grants the vice president is a legislative one — breaking a tie vote in the Senate.

But, then, if the vice president is a legislative officer, how can he wield the vast executive powers that Mr. Cheney has exercised, including orchestrating and supervising a warrantless wiretapping program?

Can the vice president shift between branches at his convenience? If not, what, in your view, is the constitutional status of the vice presidency?

I'd like to hear both candidates' ideas about the proper role and powers of the vice-president, especially in light of the power grab made by Cheney. (I also think this will be a great time to see Palin fall on her ass, since she barely knows what the constitutional role of the VP is, let alone what it should be.)

I agree entirely.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    I'd say this thread needs a poll, but that's just related to my prior experience with debate polls.

My bet is that the debate is a draw. Sarah has something approximating style, but more importantly she can answer a question in a seemingly impressive manner without actually answering it.

I'd love to accomodate you, but either I fail at this version of the forums, or only mods can make polls.

• FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

To be a good nonanswer it must at least be coherent.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    since when did anybody do any debating in one of these things?

Yeah, they basically just insult eachother with snarky remarks. Just like this forum!

ix3uu000mwdx.jpg
    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
    edited October 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

I agree entirely.
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    CBS wrote:
    Couric: What do you think is the best and worst thing that Dick Cheney has done as Vice President?

Palin: Worst thing I guess would have been the duck hunting accident...The best thing though; he as he has shown the support, along with George W. Bush, of our troops.

edited October 2008
    I hope Iphil saw that.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I agree entirely.

Biden's answered this already, but I'm too lazy to find the answer. :oops:

He has no intention of overstepping the role of VP as Cheney has.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I agree entirely.

When Couric asked him what the worst thing Cheney has done, Biden answered, "walking all over the Constitution."

• ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    t1land.palin.biden.gi.jpg

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair. I only remember seeing her hair down in one of her very early rallies.

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I agree entirely.

When Couric asked him what the worst thing Cheney has done, Biden answered, "walking all over the Constitution."

I love him.

...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Biden: Long Lost Brother of Hunter S. Thompson?

sig.png
    edited October 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair. I only remember seeing her hair down in one of her very early rallies.

I'm still not convinced that shape under Bush's jacket was a portable difibrilator.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2008

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair.

Palin looks like she's arriving at some kind of county fair. Biden looks like he's about to make a hit.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair.

Palin looks like she's arriving at some kind of county fair. Biden looks like he's about to make a hit.

Well in a way, he is.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, I'm in Obama's camp through and through, but I'm going to laugh when she vastly exceeds your alls' nonexistent expectations.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    You know, I'm in Obama's camp through and through, but I'm going to laugh when she vastly exceeds your alls' nonexistent expectations.

0x0 is still... 0

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

We'll see.

I'm psyched. The odds of something incredibly stupid being said tonight is extremely high, and I loves me a good gaffe. Also, Gwen Ifill! <3 This is like a perfect storm of political debates.

...I need to go make popcorn.

tea-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.