As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honky, you're my kind of provacative jerk. :^:

Tach on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn. He's still posting. Everytime he says something about Obama, he has to put NObama. Lame.

Also, thanks Tach. :P

urahonky on
  • SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Twice I doubted the McCain race, last year during the primaries and recently so I had to watch the debate as my confidence in Palin was severely shaken after her recent interviews. After the debate my confidence is fully restored and I'm as energized as when she gave her speech at the RNC.

Just... How.

No, really, I want to know. This baffles me.

The woman seems nice enough but she's vapid and corrupt. People should not treat ignorance as a virtue, she does.

She spent the entire debate refusing to answer questions she didn't have a memorized answer for and reading cheat sheets. The Obama campaign should have pressed to refuse to allow notes to be brought in from outside.

Our leaders should be smart. They should be articulate. Being "Folksey" is not a substitute. "I could have a beer with 'm" is not a good justification for leadership.

Fortunately the undecideds saw right through her. McCain needed her to not make an ass out of herself. She failed. She won't gain any votes and McCain is to far behind. Assuming no huge shakeups, Obama has won this election.

2909496470_d751e8a3dc.jpg?v=0
    She's a maverick, you see. And she's totally authentic.

SyphonBrue on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They're just not maverick enough for me. I'm voting Mitchell/Bradshaw
    top_gun_goose_and_maverick.jpg

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2008
    Haha, no reply yet, my final response:
    C'mon. Quit with the NObama. Makes you look like a little kid. :P

But really, when the US is in such an economic crisis... Why would you vote for someone who came out and said they know next to nothing about economics?

urahonky on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Can we not make that the new phrase? Bill Richardson said "stop the bleeding" three times in as many minutes, and then I kept hearing it.

Edit: Also, new-clee-ar. If anyone says nuke u ler I'm going to stab them in the throat.

Edit: I'm not really worried about Iran getting nucular weapons, because they'd have to throw a clam shell pretty far and hard to really hurt anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucula

I'm not worried about Iran getting nuclear weapons because Israel would be their only real target and, well, Israel has proved QUITE capable of taking care of themselves.

EDIT to ask: Has ANYONE been making the dreaded "OMG, Sexist!" argument?

thats not an arguement you "make" its implied and discussed by people who care about such things.

Speaking of Sexist....
    TRANSCRIPTION
    JOHN MCCAIN: My friends, I've had hundreds of town hall meetings around this country for many, many years and I've got to say, thanks to you and to you and to you this is one of the more impactful and emotional town hall meetings I've ever had. Maybe it's because a women's town hall.

KiTA on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tach wrote:
    Honky, you're my kind of provacative jerk.
    Jerk Provacateur?

Also I don't think I could pull the same thing off. I'm not sure if anybody on my friends list is voting McCain. At least, those who are are distant enough/apathetic enough to not bother responding.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Haha, no reply yet, my final response:
    C'mon. Quit with the NObama. Makes you look like a little kid. :P

But really, when the US is in such an economic crisis... Why would you vote for someone who came out and said they know next to nothing about economics?

If he spouts something off about McCain and Economics, make sure you point out that the last time we had a huge wall street disaster like this, McCain was good ol' Keating #5.

KiTA on
    edited October 2008
    Tach wrote:
    Honky, you're my kind of provacative jerk.
    Jerk Provacateur?

Also I don't think I could pull the same thing off. I'm not sure if anybody on my friends list is voting McCain. At least, those who are are distant enough/apathetic enough to not bother responding.

Most of my friends reside in Ohio, so I knew I'd get a bite. :)

e: thanks for the KiTA!

urahonky on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wish I had played the drinking game or was around people I could have played the game with, 'cause DAMN!

How many times did she quote or paraphrase Reagan? I know the man was great but you don't need to steal so many of his lines, what about Lincoln or Johnson, or SOMEONE!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I loved the part when Palin said she would fight for women's rights. My girlfriend almost blew a gasket when she heard that :lol:

Clint Eastwood on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I loved the part when Palin said she would fight for women's rights. My girlfriend almost blew a gasket when she heard that :lol:

Well when she said that other countries hate us because of womens rights, I said "Like the right to choose?"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Twice I doubted the McCain race, last year during the primaries and recently so I had to watch the debate as my confidence in Palin was severely shaken after her recent interviews. After the debate my confidence is fully restored and I'm as energized as when she gave her speech at the RNC.

Just... How.

Some days I can't tell if he's for real or just a bizarre internet virus that's manifested itself as an abstraction of Poe's Law.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

Well when she said that other countries hate us because of womens rights, I said "Like the right to choose?"
    She's fighting for a woman's right to pay for her own rape kit

Pull yourself up by the rape bootstraps, doggone it!

Clint Eastwood on
    edited October 2008
    My Friend wrote:
    Yeah....and he will not do it. Sean Hannity asked him for a week straight to be on his show and he would not do it. He is scared to do it. Yet you have Palin getting grilled by every liberal reporter out there and she still shines. Half the reason that the debate when the way it did last night is because her words have been twisted so bad by ... Read More the liberal media that she had to let people know what she really said.

He's arguing that Obama has never spoken to Conservative media.

urahonky on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    My Friend wrote:
    Yeah....and he will not do it. Sean Hannity asked him for a week straight to be on his show and he would not do it. He is scared to do it. Yet you have Palin getting grilled by every liberal reporter out there and she still shines. Half the reason that the debate when the way it did last night is because her words have been twisted so bad by ... Read More the liberal media that she had to let people know what she really said.

Doncha know? O'Reilly isn't a conservative. He is a gift from god.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are only three liberal reporters on the planet? And one of them is Hannity?

Wow. Liberal Media Myth debunked by your own conservative friend.

kildy on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After giving it some thought, I wrote this little piece up for my website (linked in sig):

"After the first presidential debate, which included a refreshing amount of substance, I was hoping for an equally interesting performance from the VPs. Last night, an Alaskan Governor and Delaware Senator met on a stage in St. Louis in what should have been a socratic discussion about different outlooks for the viable future of our country. Instead, we got was a disappointing series of back to back campaign commercials reminiscent of Bush-era debates.

Expectations were low for Sarah Palin, who’s performances in national interviews are, at best, cringe-worthy. Joe Biden, on the other hand, has a reputation for understanding complex foreign policy issues and was frankly expected to clear his less experienced opponent’s clock whenever she made one-dimensional, talking point assertions about the Middle East. Biden instead refrained from addressing the Governor in her own context, choosing to repeat the same rehashed anti-McCain rhetoric spouted by the Democratic ticket for the past several weeks. Palin, consequently, appeared to hold fast to a script of talking points and notes, refusing to answer questions or allegations that would’ve forced her to diverge from them. The result was a general lack of accountability. Biden would not directly attack mistakes by Palin; Palin failed to address much of what Biden said about her ticket’s platform. It was as if two separate spiraling monologues were simultaneously occurring, each divulging from relevant information whenever it suited them (not everything is about energy, Sarah; and John McCain isn’t a clone of George W. Bush, Joe).

Generally, in situations like this a moderator is expected to fill that void, calling candidates out when they aren’t answering questions or attempting to guide the candidate back to the subject at hand. Unfortunately the usually respectable Gwen Ifill, perhaps amid accusations of bias by the McCain campaign, was unable or unwilling to push either party on the stage. She was robotic, only once noting that neither candidate had answered her initial question when it was becoming a common trend. Such debates highlight the loss of Tim Russert, who would not have allowed Biden or Palin to get away with half of what they did.

The debate was not a total loss. Biden was able to make legitimate points about McCain’s health care plan taking a toll on employers offering coverage packages. He also finally got a word in there about Darfur, an issue that has been tragically placed on the sidelines, and cited specific, achievable steps towards curtailing the violence there (why hasn’t the UN yet been given the helicopters it was promised? etc). I would’ve loved to hear more of such information, but instead I was exposed to further devaluation of the word “change,” which the democratic ticket has sadly overused to the point of destruction. Biden’s reputation for being overly verbose and boring may have spawned his plan to stick to mostly simple rhetoric about the middle class. Politically this may have been effective, but only because his opponent walked the same path and stumbled a bit more on the way. If Biden had been debating someone with extensive policy knowledge who wasn’t afraid to stray for her notes, his largely superficial points would’ve landed him in much more dangerous waters. You need to explain to us WHY Obama’s economic policies favor the middle class, not just THAT they will. John McCain, after all, will cut 100% of America’s taxes, not just 95%.

The only positive for Sarah Palin was that her talking points allowed her to avoid looking totally incompetent, as she did in many instances during her interview with Katie Couric. Popular pundit reaction is that this lack of overt failure is a victory for her. I, on the other hand, like to keep my presidential standards high, so I maintain that this was a shotty, rehashed performance. She was constantly contradictory, stating that the Joe-six-pack American wants the government out of the way while at the same time stating that we need more regulation to prevent future fiscal crisis. That is an oxymoron. She misspoke on more than one occasion (stating that “main street’s mess has spread to wall street”, which she meant to say the other way around); and she avoided many questions. Dodging questions, of course, is a common political tactic (Biden certainly did it too), but when you dodge questions, you have to do so with some semblance of rhetorical form on class. You have to be sly, which she was not, and convince us you aren’t reading lines, which she did not.

I might also add that it’s highly unusual for a candidate so focused on energy to continually mispronounce the word “Nuclear.”

The overreaching political ramifications of this exercise in disappointment will be minimal. Obama will continue to lead and his gap will continue to widen. The public will still think that Palin is not qualified or capable of being president (as polls have and are showing), and right wing pundits will continue to ironically call Biden a gaffe-machine."

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    My Friend wrote:

Uh... he has been on Hannity's show.

Edit: Every liberal reporter? She's given three interviews. And two of them were with Charles "250K is middle class" Gibson and Sean Hannity.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My Friend wrote:

Palin has been interviewed by exactly three people.

Couscous on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT-z9q6E_3k

Isn't that him on Hannity, or am I missing something minus sound?

Also: Four people now, FOX has another Palin interview airing today.

kildy on
    edited October 2008
    Damn, he called Obama's campaign a train wreck, after I told him in a year if shit hits the fan he can call me out on my "poor" judgment.

urahonky on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    My Friend wrote:

Palin has been interviewed by exactly three people.

Hey hey, she also gave a radio interview to some jag hole I've never heard of. That's 4 mother fucker!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008
    Damn, he called Obama's campaign a train wreck, after I told him in a year if shit hits the fan he can call me out on my "poor" judgment.

If it's such a trainwreck, why is he winning in every poll?

SyphonBrue on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

A train wreck? Has.....has he looked at the polls lately? Did he follow the primary at all? o_O

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited October 2008

A train wreck? Has.....has he looked at the polls lately? Did he follow the primary at all? o_O

He's no maverick. Only mavericks can be losing every poll and still be winning.

SyphonBrue on
    edited October 2008
    I think that the very mention of Obama throws him into a fit of rage. At least that's what I can tell. He calls it a train wreck but I think he means when he gets into office it will be.

urahonky on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tell him to love America or leave it.

Nartwak on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think that the very mention of Obama throws him into a fit of rage. At least that's what I can tell. He calls it a train wreck but I think he means when he gets into office it will be.

On November 5th tell him that Obama just passed a resolution allowing him to date your friend's future daughter.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From Andrew Sullivan
    She said last night:
    "And I've been there when George Bush has spoken to families of those who have suffered greatly."

When?

Its funny how casual lies are accepted

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    From Andrew Sullivan
    She said last night:
    "And I've been there when George Bush has spoken to families of those who have suffered greatly."

When?

She watched him give a speech on TV

she was there man

Medopine on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Nartwak wrote: »
    Tell him to love America or leave it.

Yes.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    From Andrew Sullivan
    She said last night:

When?

She watched him give a speech on TV

she was there man

Her friend Palmer Eldritch totally hooked her up.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Just... How.

Some days I can't tell if he's for real or just a bizarre internet virus that's manifested itself as an abstraction of Poe's Law.

In the media bias thread he posted:
    What makes someone become liberal or conservative really? My theory is and I'd like to do a study on it if I could is that liberals produce less testosterone than conservatives.

I mean, I don't even know how to respond to something that stupid. On one hand I'm inclined to believe he can't be serious, but on the other hand, that's just about the level of discourse I've sadly come to expect from a large portion of McCain supporters.

Taximes on
    edited October 2008
    Taximes wrote: »

Just... How.

In the media bias thread he posted:
    What makes someone become liberal or conservative really? My theory is and I'd like to do a study on it if I could is that liberals produce less testosterone than conservatives.

I mean, I don't even know how to respond to something that stupid. On one hand I'm inclined to believe he can't be serious, but on the other hand, that's just about the level of discourse I've sadly come to expect from a large portion of McCain supporters.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced LB is a fakeposter who knows how to do it really, really well.

SyphonBrue on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I have just been watching clips of the sitcom/debate. She did exactly what she needed to to boost the GOP faithful, but I don't see her winning over swing voters.

Bogart on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    The conservatives capable of logical discourse defending their candidate or ideology have all already defected to Obama.

What's left—aside from the mass of manipulated idiots—are people who are basically voting out of pure, naked greed, and view the campaign as a sporting event where they can take pot-shots from the sidelines. Weirdly, a number of McCain supporters have wished me or my friends "luck" in November, as if the election were the superbowl and we were rival teams. Which makes sense, because all this election boils down to, in their eyes, is a couple of thousand dollars in savings that they don't need, which is only slightly less arbitrary than a sporting event.

Qingu on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IS Palin some kind of strange Howdy Dudey / Robin hybrid?

WELL GOLLY GEE WILLIKERS!

nexuscrawler on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    *facepalm* I'm having an argument with a person who is saying "More people thought Palin won or tied than thought Biden won, therefore Palin won."

Jragghen on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I knew that was going to happen. Palin's expectations were submarine level low, so her not causing a major gaffe means she did really well, exceeded expectation, and therefore won.

I for one have high fucking standards for what counts as a win. Not fucking up isn't a win. After the last eight years, I want to do better than having your goal be "just don't fuck this up."

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
This discussion has been closed.