As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    When did he say "Back when we were steel drivers in MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Scranton"

Oh god, don't parse quotes with me.

He wasn't continuously talking about his neighborhood in an effort to connect with the upper class.

I love how you guys all fall in to defend this 13-term asshole

He mentioned Scranton by name twice.

BIDEN: Gwen, I don't know where to start. We don't call a redistribution in my neighborhood Scranton, Claymont, Wilmington, the places I grew up, to give the fair to say that not giving Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) another $4 billion tax cut this year as John calls for and giving it to middle class people to be able to pay to get their kids to college, we don't call that redistribution. We call that fairness number one. Number two fact, 95 percent of the small businesses in America, their owners make less than $250,000 a year. They would not get one single solitary penny increase in taxes, those small businesses.

BIDEN: Can I respond? Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie's Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years. And then ask them whether there's a single major initiative that John McCain differs with the president on. On taxes, on Iraq, on Afghanistan, on the whole question of how to help education, on the dealing with health care.

Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they've been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.
    Both times in a list. Both times talking more about the middle class than the lower class.

Fine, dude, you think he was sincere, I think he was not. I'm basing my judgment on his voice, his body language, and my opinion of his life choices, and the facts of his upbringing and lifestyle compared to what he invokes on a continuing basis. You're doing the same and coming to the complete opposite conclusion, fine, whatever. I don't really even care if he's a sincere person, to tell you the truth.

I think it's actually pretty funny how you can't even have a single critique of someone's presentation without everyone deciding you're a flat-earth librapublitologist if the person you're critiquing is Obama or Biden.

I also find it hard to believe that you all really believe in Joe freakin' Biden as a human being.

I mean stand behind his politics if you want, but christ, don't believe in the guy. I'm just trying to save you from heartbreak later.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Used car salesman are as kings of this modern time. You can't get anywhere in life without the ability to get anywhere in life, and since they hold all the cars, they hold all the cards.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    seasleepy wrote: »
    Oh, The Corner. You so clearly revel in being wrong:
    I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America.

this is satire right

nah--just disgustingly sexist

No it isn't, its just pathetic and creepy.

I almost turned off the debate then and there when she winked and started giving shoutouts.

"WASILLA PRIDE! YEAH, go, NORTH EAST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!" Wink wink

Urk

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    When did he say "Back when we were steel drivers in MY NEIGHBORHOOD in Scranton"

He wasn't continuously talking about his neighborhood in an effort to connect with the upper class.

BIDEN: Gwen, I don't know where to start. We don't call a redistribution in my neighborhood Scranton, Claymont, Wilmington, the places I grew up, to give the fair to say that not giving Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) another $4 billion tax cut this year as John calls for and giving it to middle class people to be able to pay to get their kids to college, we don't call that redistribution. We call that fairness number one. Number two fact, 95 percent of the small businesses in America, their owners make less than $250,000 a year. They would not get one single solitary penny increase in taxes, those small businesses.

BIDEN: Can I respond? Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie's Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years. And then ask them whether there's a single major initiative that John McCain differs with the president on. On taxes, on Iraq, on Afghanistan, on the whole question of how to help education, on the dealing with health care.

Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they've been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.
    Both times in a list. Both times talking more about the middle class than the lower class.

Fine, dude, you think he was sincere, I think he was not. I'm basing my judgment on his voice, his body language, and my opinion of his life choices, and the facts of his upbringing and lifestyle compared to what he invokes on a continuing basis. You're doing the same and coming to the complete opposite conclusion, fine, whatever. I don't really even care if he's a sincere person, to tell you the truth.

I think it's actually pretty funny how you can't even have a single critique of someone's presentation without everyone deciding you're a flat-earth librapublitologist if the person you're critiquing is Obama or Biden.

We're fine with logical critiques. It's the ones that can't even hold up against quoting their own supposed evidence that we jump on.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm basing my judgment on his voice, his body language, and my opinion of his life choices, and the facts of his upbringing and lifestyle compared to what he invokes on a continuing basis.
    When the hell did he say that he was poor as a child? He said that he understands what it is like to be middle class. He doesn't pretend he isn't better off than most Americans.
    I'm much better off than almost all Americans now. I get a good salary with the United States Senate. I live in a beautiful house that's my total investment that I have. So I -- I am much better off now.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »

I almost turned off the debate then and there when she winked and started giving shoutouts.

Urk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCunBErZZJE

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Used car salesman are as kings of this modern time. You can't get anywhere in life without the ability to get anywhere in life, and since they hold all the cars, they hold all the cards.

It was worth reading two pages of Jonny being a moron to reach this beautiful, beautiful post.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think Joe Biden is a new england stuffed shirt Happy White Democrat.
    You know he isn't from New England, right?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Anybody with an education counts as New England.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think I like Biden because he reminds me of New England where I used to live.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

We're fine with logical critiques. It's the ones that can't even hold up against quoting their own supposed evidence that we jump on.

It's a fucking subjective opinion. I said I thought he came across smarmy, and someone stated, for a fact, that he was not smarmy and I was wrong. Because boo fucking hoo his dead wife an all as though having a dead spouse makes him a good and sincere human for all time.

How exactly the fuck is that logical? Let me repeat this: The guy seems insincere to me. I don't like how he talks, how he conducts himself. I don't trust him. I wish Obama had picked someone else.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i like him because he's got that certain kind of power in his voice when he speaks

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    How exactly the fuck is that logical? Let me repeat this: The guy seems insincere to me. I don't like how he talks, how he conducts himself. I don't trust him. I wish Obama had picked someone else.
    Why exactly do you think he is smarmy? I can point to specific parts of what Palin said that reek of smarm.

Couscous on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »

Urk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCunBErZZJE

Ahh! Take it away! I'll tell you what I know! I'll sign the documents!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well, there are basically 4 types of democrat.

There's the California democrat, the Southern democrat, the Union democrat, and the Eastern Elite democrat. Joe is most like the eastern elite democrat.

Listen, I'm a generally socially liberal person. I like most democratic politics. I just don't happen to like most people that have been in the senate for three decades.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    People jumped on you when you said he said things that he didn't during the debate

I respectfully disagree that he was smarmy and you can think that, but don't use false evidence to support your point, yeah?

Also my point about his dead wife was that he showed emotion on stage and was a single parent which is relateable to a lot of Middle America

So yeah

Medopine on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Delaware is not a New England state, it was a slave state!

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Why exactly do you think he is smarmy? I can point to specific parts of what Palin said that reek of smarm.

Smarm is ingratiation, insincerity.

OK, I think Biden talks down to people. He sounds like he's talking down to people when he talks. I don't know how else to put it. I don't like his attitude. I think he is insincerely saccharine when speaking and I do not think his professed empathy for the middle class is genuine.

Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you seriously believe 30 year senate veterans have emotions?

Have you ever met a Senator? Like, in person?

Senators, Congresspeople, Vice presidents, supreme court judges, yes.

I find them almost universally evil and upsetting.

I elevator farted a rep from my state once.

Doc on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doc wrote: »

You were just doing your civic doody.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    People jumped on you when you said he said things that he didn't during the debate

I respectfully disagree that he was smarmy and you can think that, but don't use false evidence to support your point, yeah?

Also my point about his dead wife was that he showed emotion on stage and was a single parent which is relateable to a lot of Middle America

So yeah

Yeah, in this thread, and only in this thread, on penny arcade are we not to use ANY hyperbole, humor, or exaggeration, I therefore was not doing so, and I clearly meant Biden literally broke into a chorus of the ballad of john henry on stage.
    I think he faked emotion, because he sounded like he was speaking from practiced material until the second he cried on cue. I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

OK, I think Biden talks down to people. He sounds like he's talking down to people when he talks. I don't know how else to put it. I don't like his attitude. I think he is insincerely saccharine when speaking and I do not think his professed empathy for the middle class is genuine.

Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

You seem to base your opinions on erroneous preconceptions, kinda like what you do when you rant about various martial arts.

I think Biden relates well with the middle class. The CNN tracker maxing out during his speech about his wife and children indicated that.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Do we really need to add "white" as a descriptor for Senators yet?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Where is the evidence that she actually believes the shit she says? Her record as mayor and governor suggests she doesn't give much of a shit.

With Biden, I can at least point to some of the stuff he did.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    B:L wrote: »

You seem to base your opinions on erroneous preconceptions, kinda like what you do when you rant about various martial arts.

I think Biden relates well with the middle class. The CNN tracker maxing out during his speech about his wife and children indicated that.

That has nothing to do with his internal empathy with the middle class. That's a meter of how people are responding to him - different thing entirely. Surely you don't think that graph measures his actual, internal sincerity? Also, the scientific accuracy of a CNN Chyron graphic is not something I'm prepared to take on faith.

Also, in other news, I'm very sorry if I offended you with one of my "rants" on the martial arts. I'm sure you go to the one school with the real ninjitsu/wing chun/TKD and if I saw it my jaw would hit my sternum. Feel free to start a thread on that, I'm sure it will be awesome and I'll totally learn to respect both other people as a group and your particular Sensei Kreese in particular.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Where is the evidence that she actually believes the shit she says? Her record as mayor and governor suggests she doesn't give much of a shit.

So she's been out making pro-choice, anti-big business, anti-church, pro-gay decisions? Maybe I can vote for her.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

So she's been out making pro-choice, anti-big business, anti-church, pro-gay decisions? Maybe I can vote for her.

She hasn't made many choices as governor that haven't dealt with oil. As the mayor of a town of less than 10,000, she didn't exactly do a whole lot other than piss a lot of people off and get the town in debt.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The windfall profits tax was anti-big business, wasn't it?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Mostly just drooling on herself, actually.

Occasionally appointing cronies.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While I would tend to agree with Cache on a certain level that lifelong members of the Senate are ordinarily douchebags, I never got that vibe with Biden. I DID get the impression that Palin was smarmy, self-righteous and fakishly folksy.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Your gut tells you Palin is sincere.

Your gut tells you Biden is not.

Thus far this is the only argument you've provided. All of your other evidence has been debunked or questioned with serious merit.

You can believe what you want to believe, but if you fail to acknowledge that you might be wrong once you look up some actual evidence, then you deserve to be jumped on.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Mostly just drooling on herself, actually.

Occasionally appointing cronies.

On the one hand I like that she fought her own party

on the other hand, that's really just like when the Chamberlin and the Garthim Master fight over who gets to drink the Gelflings

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

You were just doing your civic doody.

Do you have no shame?

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The windfall profits tax was anti-big business, wasn't it?

Yes. It is also something McCain doesn't support. I don't think she has said a thing about it after being nominated.
    In late 2007 Palin succeeded in raising the tax on oil companies from 22.5 to 25% of net profits. Alaska also added a clause increasing the tax for each dollar oil goes above $52 a barrel - essentially, a windfall profits tax.
    But analysts - and the McCain campaign itself - are quick to note that Palin will toe the line on the energy policies of her potential boss, who unlike Barack Obama does not favor a windfall profits tax.

Christopher Ruppel, an energy analyst at Execution LLC, a broker and research firm for institutional investors like hedge and mutual funds is more concerned with McCain's energy policy than Palin's past spats with the oil industry. "We don't think she will represent a big change from that."

The McCain campaign, which speaks for Palin, confirmed that stance.

"'The governor supports the campaign's positions," said Doug Holtz-Eakin, a McCain senior advisor.

Couscous on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had a guy tell me that Palin did better. I asked why, his first response was "PRESENTATION!"

I said I didn't understand. Could he elaborate.

"DUDE, YOU JUST WANT THE DEMOCRATS IN POWER."

Yeah.....duh.....

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I had a guy tell me that Palin did better. I asked why, his first response was "PRESENTATION!"

Yeah.....duh.....
    I do like that.

I mean, I'm sure I'm more biased than I believe myself to be but christ, let me demonstrate that.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah.....duh.....
    I do like that.

I mean, I'm sure I'm more biased than I believe myself to be but christ, let me demonstrate that.

Well, I've told the guy I'm voting for Obama.

So, accusing me of wanting them to win... I mean... what?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »

Your gut tells you Palin is sincere.

Your gut tells you Biden is not.

Thus far this is the only argument you've provided. All of your other evidence has been debunked or questioned with serious merit.

You can believe what you want to believe, but if you fail to acknowledge that you might be wrong once you look up some actual evidence, then you deserve to be jumped on.

How, exactly, is my personal opinion of his personality an evidentury matter? What are you, Defender?

What rebuttal has there been of "I don't think he came across very sincere"? What has been "debunked" there? What is there to debunk?

What EVIDENCE can there possibly be that he sincerely understands and empathizes with working people as he implies? I'm not saying Joe Biden is some great hypocrite or anything, I'm just saying he's pretty far removed from the circumstances he talks about all the time and I think it's pandering of him to continuously say, "Hey I'm just like you."

I think palin is SINCERELY a dipstick, and one that reads about a quart low. I do think her selection was brilliant political theatre, as opposed to that of Biden, which was a very lackluster and typical appeasement choice.

Edit: For the record, I think Biden won the shit out of the debate, btw.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Your gut says Palin was sincere.

My gut says she was giving a fucking book report. I saw almost no sincerity in her at all, which is what made it even more hair pulling.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, I think she sincerely believes in the crap she believes in. I don't think that's a good thing, though. In her case, it's probably just a sign of effective programming.

JohnnyCache on
This discussion has been closed.