Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

15556575860

Posts

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    John McCain has an unpleasant appearance but he makes an oddly endearing Frankenstein

    Per3th.jpg
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited October 2008
    If you want to feel your brain die a little, read the comments on "Sarah Palin Bags a Big One".

    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

    So you're basically insane, then? I don't think I've heard Palin say a single thing that wasn't later proven to be a lie at worst, or at best, a gross misrepresentation.

    You think she sounded sincere? I think she sounded like a junior in high school reciting a book report.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

    So you're basically insane, then? I don't think I've heard Palin say a single thing that wasn't later proven to be a lie at worst, or at best, a gross misrepresentation.

    You think she sounded sincere? I think she sounded like a junior in high school reciting a book report.

    responded to.

    Also, yes, I am insane because I think Sarah Palin believes in the conservative values she espouses. Clearly.

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    People jumped on you when you said he said things that he didn't during the debate

    I respectfully disagree that he was smarmy and you can think that, but don't use false evidence to support your point, yeah?

    Also my point about his dead wife was that he showed emotion on stage and was a single parent which is relateable to a lot of Middle America

    So yeah

    Yeah, in this thread, and only in this thread, on penny arcade are we not to use ANY hyperbole, humor, or exaggeration, I therefore was not doing so, and I clearly meant Biden literally broke into a chorus of the ballad of john henry on stage.
    I think he faked emotion, because he sounded like he was speaking from practiced material until the second he cried on cue. I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America.
    You do know that his son was deployed to Iraq today, right? Yeah, how fucking full of shit for Biden to be emotional regarding that, the very next fucking day, his son (who he almost lost in a horrible car accident that killed his daughter and wife) was going to be deployed to a warzone that was created under false pretenses and has already claimed the lives of over 4,100 troops. And I'm sure Palin with her $120,000 governor salary is really being hard hit by the effects of the economy.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You do know that his son was deployed to Iraq today, right? Yeah, how fucking full of shit for Biden to be emotional regarding that, the very next fucking day, his son (who he almost lost in a horrible car accident that killed his daughter and wife) was going to be deployed to a warzone that was created under false pretenses and has already claimed the lives of over 4,100 troops. And I'm sure Palin with her $120,000 governor salary is really being hard hit by the effects of the economy.

    Look asshole thats the middle class and on top of that you are forgetting the free gifts from mining companies and oil companies to get legislation passed that just happens to benefit them. Christ you libs everyone is worse then you!

  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

    So you're basically insane, then? I don't think I've heard Palin say a single thing that wasn't later proven to be a lie at worst, or at best, a gross misrepresentation.

    You think she sounded sincere? I think she sounded like a junior in high school reciting a book report.

    responded to.

    Also, yes, I am insane because I think Sarah Palin believes in the conservative values she espouses. Clearly.

    Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be calling out for you to respond to, I was highlighting to show my agreement. Forgive me if Lime Green highlights are meant for something other than what I took them for. I'm still not 100% vcersed with the ins-and-outs of the PA forum.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Network ratings for the debate
    s-VP-DEBATE-SCORECARD-large.jpg

    Oof...poor MSNBC.

    Actually, since NBC used the MSNBC reporting, you have to tally them together.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    People jumped on you when you said he said things that he didn't during the debate

    I respectfully disagree that he was smarmy and you can think that, but don't use false evidence to support your point, yeah?

    Also my point about his dead wife was that he showed emotion on stage and was a single parent which is relateable to a lot of Middle America

    So yeah

    Yeah, in this thread, and only in this thread, on penny arcade are we not to use ANY hyperbole, humor, or exaggeration, I therefore was not doing so, and I clearly meant Biden literally broke into a chorus of the ballad of john henry on stage.
    I think he faked emotion, because he sounded like he was speaking from practiced material until the second he cried on cue. I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America.
    You do know that his son was deployed to Iraq today, right? Yeah, how fucking full of shit for Biden to be emotional regarding that, the very next fucking day, his son (who he almost lost in a horrible car accident that killed his daughter and wife) was going to be deployed to a warzone that was created under false pretenses and has already claimed the lives of over 4,100 troops. And I'm sure Palin with her $120,000 governor salary is really being hard hit by the effects of the economy.

    ah...did I speak out in sympathy for Palin being hit by the economy? Or are you another chucklehead that thinks if I don't LOVE EVERY WET INCH of Biden, I must be a devout republican?

    As for his son being deployed (in signals, btw, NTTAWWT), Biden voted for the fuckin' thing, I would say that sets him aside a bit from all the other war parents. If Biden is really moved to tears by his son going to war, well, he has a lot more power then anyone on my block to stop the war.

    (Lime, btw, is for things that are very true)

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    You do know that his son was deployed to Iraq today, right? Yeah, how fucking full of shit for Biden to be emotional regarding that, the very next fucking day, his son (who he almost lost in a horrible car accident that killed his daughter and wife) was going to be deployed to a warzone that was created under false pretenses and has already claimed the lives of over 4,100 troops. And I'm sure Palin with her $120,000 governor salary is really being hard hit by the effects of the economy.

    Look asshole thats the middle class and on top of that you are forgetting the free gifts from mining companies and oil companies to get legislation passed that just happens to benefit them. Christ you libs everyone is worse then you!

    BS. There is no clear definition of economic standard for Middle Class, and it varies wildly by state. Alaska has the median income of $52,141. Palin's salary is more than double the average mean. Her reported salary is $125,000 according to KTUU, where she was a sports reporter for several years. You can say, "but some of that includes X, Y, and Z" but unless you provide some kind of link to back up your shit-slinging, I'm not even going to bother take you at your word.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

    Don't stop he's on a roll.

    Look when the germans bombed pearl habor did we give up?

  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    People jumped on you when you said he said things that he didn't during the debate

    I respectfully disagree that he was smarmy and you can think that, but don't use false evidence to support your point, yeah?

    Also my point about his dead wife was that he showed emotion on stage and was a single parent which is relateable to a lot of Middle America

    So yeah

    Yeah, in this thread, and only in this thread, on penny arcade are we not to use ANY hyperbole, humor, or exaggeration, I therefore was not doing so, and I clearly meant Biden literally broke into a chorus of the ballad of john henry on stage.
    I think he faked emotion, because he sounded like he was speaking from practiced material until the second he cried on cue. I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America.
    You do know that his son was deployed to Iraq today, right? Yeah, how fucking full of shit for Biden to be emotional regarding that, the very next fucking day, his son (who he almost lost in a horrible car accident that killed his daughter and wife) was going to be deployed to a warzone that was created under false pretenses and has already claimed the lives of over 4,100 troops. And I'm sure Palin with her $120,000 governor salary is really being hard hit by the effects of the economy.

    ah...did I speak out in sympathy for Palin being hit by the economy? Or are you another chucklehead that thinks if I don't LOVE EVERY WET INCH of Biden, I must be a devout republican?

    As for his son being deployed (in signals, btw, NTTAWWT), Biden voted for the fuckin' thing, I would say that sets him aside a bit from all the other war parents. If Biden is really moved to tears by his son going to war, well, he has a lot more power then anyone on my block to stop the war.

    (Lime, btw, is for things that are very true)

    You do know that it typically doesn't matter if what branch, you eventually have to do door-knocks, right? I know people who handle field artillery maintenance, they still have to do door-knocks every few months. One of my guildmates is still torn up over having to shoot a kid. He normally does server and tech maintenance.

    My mention of Palin's well-ff slary was to provide direct contrast to "I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America." My point was, NO ONE up there represented the Middle Class. To pain Biden as the only one is being disingenuous.

    So, because Biden approved the war and his son is being deployed, that means Biden is obviously faking his emotion to win votes? I fail to see the logic in that, but whatever.

    By the way, keep the fucking personal insults out of it, please. I NEVER denigrated you or made snide personal attacks.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
    Sorry if I mistook it as something serious. Usually sarcasm is detected through inflection. In the written word, it's hard to display those nuances. :oops:

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    People jumped on you when you said he said things that he didn't during the debate

    I respectfully disagree that he was smarmy and you can think that, but don't use false evidence to support your point, yeah?

    Also my point about his dead wife was that he showed emotion on stage and was a single parent which is relateable to a lot of Middle America

    So yeah

    Yeah, in this thread, and only in this thread, on penny arcade are we not to use ANY hyperbole, humor, or exaggeration, I therefore was not doing so, and I clearly meant Biden literally broke into a chorus of the ballad of john henry on stage.
    I think he faked emotion, because he sounded like he was speaking from practiced material until the second he cried on cue. I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America.
    You do know that his son was deployed to Iraq today, right? Yeah, how fucking full of shit for Biden to be emotional regarding that, the very next fucking day, his son (who he almost lost in a horrible car accident that killed his daughter and wife) was going to be deployed to a warzone that was created under false pretenses and has already claimed the lives of over 4,100 troops. And I'm sure Palin with her $120,000 governor salary is really being hard hit by the effects of the economy.

    ah...did I speak out in sympathy for Palin being hit by the economy? Or are you another chucklehead that thinks if I don't LOVE EVERY WET INCH of Biden, I must be a devout republican?

    As for his son being deployed (in signals, btw, NTTAWWT), Biden voted for the fuckin' thing, I would say that sets him aside a bit from all the other war parents. If Biden is really moved to tears by his son going to war, well, he has a lot more power then anyone on my block to stop the war.

    (Lime, btw, is for things that are very true)

    You do know that it typically doesn't matter if what branch, you eventually have to do door-knocks, right? I know people who handle field artillery maintenance, they still have to do door-knocks every few months. One of my guildmates is still torn up over having to shoot a kid. He normally does server and tech maintenance.

    My mention of Palin's well-ff slary was to provide direct contrast to "I think he was a single parent who could afford child care and tutors, and that's not my middle America." My point was, NO ONE up there represented the Middle Class. To pain Biden as the only one is being disingenuous.

    So, because Biden approved the war and his son is being deployed, that means Biden is obviously faking his emotion to win votes? I fail to see the logic in that, but whatever.

    By the way, keep the fucking personal insults out of it, please. I NEVER denigrated you or made snide personal attacks.


    Well, I thought I made my contempt for Sarah Palin pretty clear earlier. I don't think Joe Biden is literally a sith lord, animated only by dark energy. But I think he's got enough theatre to feel intensely while on the stage, and make it known that he's doing so. I just don't love the guy. Don't like Palin either.

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just don't love the guy.

    There's a difference between no love and intense irrational hate of a person to the point of accusing them of faking it when he almost cried over his deceased wife and daughter.

    You're a bit on the extreme side there, Johnny, and you've acknowledged that, so don't try to backpeddle here.

    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NOW A TENSION BREAKER:

    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-19-most-ridiculous-moments-from-vp-debate/

    9:01 PM Ross Wolinsky -Did Biden just say Dick Lugar? That is the baddest assest name ever.
    9:01 PM Michael Swaim - It’s also a pretty decent birth control device.
    9:02 PM Dan O’Brien - There’s a guy named Dick Lugar?
    9:02 PM Dan O’Brien - I want to vote for that guy
    9:03 PM Michael Swaim - Cock Tommy Gun?
    9:03 PM Michael Swaim - Penis Kalazhnikov?

    Haha, that article is gold.

    # 9:23 PM Ross Wolinsky - Who’s Moose? Is that one of her kids?
    # 9:23 PM Dan O’Brien - No, her kids are Bagel, Trat and Sauron.
    # 9:23 PM Michael Swaim - I thought it was Odin, Brussels and Camembert.
    # 9:24 PM Dan O’Brien - Pooter, Stank and Obermeyer.
    # 9:24 PM Michael Swaim - Conklin, Calculon, and Wankle
    # 9:25 PM Ross Wolinsky - Is it too late for me to say Bunting, Cattleprod and Slaw?
    # 9:25 PM Michael Swaim - Only if I can mention Whipple, Shank, and Samsung.
    # 9:26 PM Michael Swaim - Crankshaft, Spaulding and Gex.
    # 9:27 PM Dan O’Brien - Dripspat, Dooper and Strunt.
    # 9:27 PM Ross Wolinsky - Bunker, Tallywacker and Tubes.

    One of my favorite parts.

    # 9:17 PM Dan O’Brien -She’s running for Vice President?
    # 9:17 PM Dan O’Brien -WHOA
    # 9:17 PM Michael Swaim -No, she’s running for President, but she has to wait eight months if she wins.

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    I just don't love the guy.

    There's a difference between no love and intense irrational hate of a person to the point of accusing them of faking it when he almost cried over his deceased wife and daughter.

    You're a bit on the extreme side there, Johnny, and you've acknowledged that, so don't try to backpeddle here.


    I'm not saying he staged it, 100%.

    But he brought it up, talked about it at length and then choked up. If I was on a televised debate for a national office, I would try to avoid crying.

    I'd term it a rational hate. I don't like the guy's personality, at all. It's not a deal breaker. I'll drop it if you will.

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    I just don't love the guy.

    There's a difference between no love and intense irrational hate of a person to the point of accusing them of faking it when he almost cried over his deceased wife and daughter.

    You're a bit on the extreme side there, Johnny, and you've acknowledged that, so don't try to backpeddle here.


    I'm not saying he staged it, 100%.

    But he brought it up, talked about it at length and then choked up. If I was on a televised debate for a national office, I would try to avoid crying.

    I'd term it a rational hate. I don't like the guy's personality, at all. It's not a deal breaker. I'll drop it if you will.

    Actually, he didn't bring it up. Palin brought up the mention of his wife (for her political gain) and Biden understandably got emotional over it.

    You can't call your reaction "knee-jerk" and then retract and call it a "rational" hate, when your only supporting argument is your gut. Not liking his personality isn't a good reason to question someone's humanity.

    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd term it a rational hate. I don't like the guy's personality, at all. It's not a deal breaker. I'll drop it if you will.

    "Rational hate"? Really?

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
    Sorry if I mistook it as something serious. Usually sarcasm is detected through inflection. In the written word, it's hard to display those nuances. :oops:

    Welcome to the internet.

    Seriously though, it's nothing to get embarassed about. We all do it at one point or another. Shit, I did it myself earlier today.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spoiler:


    Well, I thought I made my contempt for Sarah Palin pretty clear earlier. I don't think Joe Biden is literally a sith lord, animated only by dark energy. But I think he's got enough theatre to feel intensely while on the stage, and make it known that he's doing so. I just don't love the guy. Don't like Palin either.

    I hear ya in a lot of ways. I'm definitely not a Biden fan either. PATRIOT Act, No Child Left Behind, Defense of Marriage Act, denying Pell grants to inmates, I could go on. Sorry if I missed your previous responses about Palin, I honestly had no idea on what your full take was. The only reason I'm rooting for Biden is, "lesser of 2 evils." It's a shitty way to choose, but that's what we're stuck with.

    I can see people thinking Biden's emotion was fake, but I honestly don't think it was. There's several reasons why, most notably his stuttering. To fake something like that is the pinnacle of acting and is something that is immensely difficult to pull off. I admit, it does seem very politically convenient fro him, but I do think he was legitimately shaken up by it when I analyzed his body movements and speech pattern. If Palin hadn't mentioned "wife" and "reward in heaven" just a few minutes earlier, I don't think Biden would have choked up on that bit.

    Anyways, sorry to come across as lumping you into a Palin supporter. I can see how I came off that way and I assure you that really wasn't my intent. It was more of me trying to prove a point that I really don't think Biden was faking when you add everything up. Good to see we're on a sociable level now and that we have a better understanding of where each other were coming from regarding our respective statements.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    I just don't love the guy.

    There's a difference between no love and intense irrational hate of a person to the point of accusing them of faking it when he almost cried over his deceased wife and daughter.

    You're a bit on the extreme side there, Johnny, and you've acknowledged that, so don't try to backpeddle here.


    I'm not saying he staged it, 100%.

    But he brought it up, talked about it at length and then choked up. If I was on a televised debate for a national office, I would try to avoid crying.

    I'd term it a rational hate. I don't like the guy's personality, at all. It's not a deal breaker. I'll drop it if you will.
    I don't understand what you want me to say.

    I am not going to be penned by logic into liking someone I don't like. I'm big enough to admit that may be an illogical reaction. I'm not going to let my dislike of his manner influence my vote. I feel that's fair and logical of me. Is there something else you need to hear from me on it?

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't understand what you want me to say.

    I am not going to be penned by logic into liking someone I don't like. I'm big enough to admit that may be an illogical reaction. I'm not going to let my dislike of his manner influence my vote. I feel that's fair and logical of me. Is there something else you need to hear from me on it?

    I just want some logical consistency. You first claimed it to be a logical argument based on your gut, then you claimed it was a knee-jerk reactionary perception, after that it was a rational hate, and now it's an illogical reaction?

    For it, then against it? Your current posting is an emotional tornado, and I'm trying to see who's the man standing in the eye of the storm.


    Now, my take on it is that if you believe Biden was acting, then he should be working in Hollywood instead, because he'll out-perform 90% of the actors there. Ian McKellen, eat your heart out.

    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    I don't understand what you want me to say.

    I am not going to be penned by logic into liking someone I don't like. I'm big enough to admit that may be an illogical reaction. I'm not going to let my dislike of his manner influence my vote. I feel that's fair and logical of me. Is there something else you need to hear from me on it?

    I just want some logical consistency. You first claimed it to be a logical argument based on your gut, then you claimed it was a knee-jerk reactionary perception, after that it was a rational hate, and now it's an illogical reaction?

    For it, then against it? Your current posting is an emotional tornado, and I'm trying to see who's the man standing in the eye of the storm.


    Now, my take on it is that if you believe Biden was acting, then he should be working in Hollywood instead, because he'll out-perform 90% of the actors there. Ian McKellen, eat your heart out.

    OK, I'd really like to move on from this because I don't understand what you're gnawing at - if I thought it was a logical thing, I wouldn't have used the term "gut feeling" or "instinctual"

    I don't think I'm an "emotional tornado" at the moment...i've been trying to get you guys to move on and drop it for . . .pages now? I'm sorry I think the guy is a phony...I, ah, hope I'm wrong? I don't think his stage manner is important to his policy, so even I don't care that much about the degree to which he was acting? And yes, for the record, I think national politicians posses many of the same talents and aptitudes as actors.

    On stuttering: Biden has a stutter. Like, a real "pounds his fists against the posts" stutter he's pretty good at suppressing.

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Well according to Biden biography he also stuttered a lot as a child.

  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Well according to Biden biography he also stuttered a lot as a child.

    Ah, I didn't know that. A stutter isn't the only reason I thought it was genuine, but I guess it's completely irrelevant now. Thanks for the info.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Well according to Biden biography he also stuttered a lot as a child.

    Ah, I didn't know that. A stutter isn't the only reason I thought it was genuine, but I guess it's completely irrelevant now. Thanks for the info.

    Well I could see him getting into an emotional moment and slipping into bad habits. Like if you ever upset someone with a speech impediment it usually rears its ugly head. So its a point for the genuineness of the moment.

  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Well according to Biden biography he also stuttered a lot as a child.

    Ah, I didn't know that. A stutter isn't the only reason I thought it was genuine, but I guess it's completely irrelevant now. Thanks for the info.

    Well I could see him getting into an emotional moment and slipping into bad habits. Like if you ever upset someone with a speech impediment it usually rears its ugly head. So its a point for the genuineness of the moment.

    I grew up with a few serious stutterers in my elementary school class. I can definitely pick up on the ticks when he gets upset, but if you follow his speech pattern closely you might notice how his cadence is very deliberate in such a way to minimize the chance of a slip. It's a technique he likely picked up in speech therapy.

    I wish I knew how to describe it, honestly. It's almost like something I can only detect with my peripheral senses. James Earl Jones does it too sometimes (he also stuttered as a child).

    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Spoiler:
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    maybe that's the very thing that makes him seem artificial to me.

    if so

    sorry mr joe biden

    but you still shouldn't have voted for the patriot act.

    (I know you can't vote against something called the patriot act but jeez man)

    "Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am watching the VP debate right now.

    Palin's faux folkiness makes me physically ill.

    "darn", "joe six-pack", etc

    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Well according to Biden biography he also stuttered a lot as a child.

    Ah, I didn't know that. A stutter isn't the only reason I thought it was genuine, but I guess it's completely irrelevant now. Thanks for the info.

    Well I could see him getting into an emotional moment and slipping into bad habits. Like if you ever upset someone with a speech impediment it usually rears its ugly head. So its a point for the genuineness of the moment.

    I grew up with a few serious stutterers in my elementary school class. I can definitely pick up on the ticks when he gets upset, but if you follow his speech pattern closely you might notice how his cadence is very deliberate in such a way to minimize the chance of a slip. It's a technique he likely picked up in speech therapy.

    I wish I knew how to describe it, honestly. It's almost like something I can only detect with my peripheral senses. James Earl Jones does it too sometimes (he also stuttered as a child).

    I don't have a stutter, but I am tongue tied, so I speak in much the same way.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Aaron Hernandez shot me through the heartRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin is not folksy. She knows how to act like it.

    She's a fucking caricature of middle americans. And yes, I do know some. She's the political version of Larry the Cable Guy.

    Spoiler:
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Ann Arbor, MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin is not folksy. She knows how to act like it.

    She's a fucking caricature of middle americans. And yes, I do know some. She's the political version of Larry the Cable Guy.

    I...I might have more respect for Larry the Cable Guy. D:

    This is not a positive thought.

  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin is not folksy. She knows how to act like it.

    She's a fucking caricature of middle americans. And yes, I do know some. She's the political version of Larry the Cable Guy.

    Hence "faux".

    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The other thing that makes me sick is the love-in for Israel.

    I mean, Israel's okay I guess, but when Palin says, "I am so encouraged to know that we both love Israel, and I think that's a good thing to agree on, and I respect your position", I mean, come on. There's pandering, and then there's pandering.

    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The other thing that makes me sick is the love-in for Israel.

    I mean, Israel's okay I guess, but when Palin says, "I am so encouraged to know that we both love Israel, and I think that's a good thing to agree on, and I respect your position", I mean, come on. There's pandering, and then there's pandering.

    The McCain campaign absolutely MUST win Florida or they lose.

    Hence, the jew lovin'.

    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    Spoiler:
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just to clarify: What I mean by Biden's stuttering is not that to fake a stutter is difficult, many actors have done it (Rain Man). But the way in which Biden stuttered, the twitching of the eyes, the jerks of the mouth, the movements of the head, they all add up to being, most likely, very real. Either that or Biden has studied and practiced immensely solely to fake a stutter.

    Well according to Biden biography he also stuttered a lot as a child.

    Ah, I didn't know that. A stutter isn't the only reason I thought it was genuine, but I guess it's completely irrelevant now. Thanks for the info.

    Well I could see him getting into an emotional moment and slipping into bad habits. Like if you ever upset someone with a speech impediment it usually rears its ugly head. So its a point for the genuineness of the moment.

    Oh, yeah. Indeed. And I'm sure that is what happened. However, for those that do not typically stutter, heightened emotion will often trigger this response. Police and other interrogators will sometimes use this tactic to check a persons response to see if they're telling the truth. You present a highly incendiary claim against them that you are trying to prove and then judge their response. Sometimes people will try to fake a stutter, rightfully believing that doing so is characteristic of intense emotion. A fake stutter is incredibly easy to spot. A real one has so many various characteristics that it's almost impossible to accurately fake without incredibly intense training.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    maybe that's the very thing that makes him seem artificial to me.

    if so

    sorry mr joe biden

    but you still shouldn't have voted for the patriot act.

    (I know you can't vote against something called the patriot act but jeez man)

    Sure you can. Kucinich did. Ron Paul did. People consider them kooks, but they were right about doing so. Things like the PATRIOT Act are exactly what Ben Franklin so adamantly spoke about when he said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
This discussion has been closed.