As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR]: White Cloaks are the New Black

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Planning it in such a way that there was no way Order could defend.

Ie: 300 people capping forts and taking over Altdorf at 7-10am CST on a Sunday.

Eh. They city siege is instanced, and set up so that undefended instances do not contribute much in the way of victory points. If Order had been the least bit organized in the one instance that was full, they could have stalled the capture until more people were on, if not kick Destruction out of the city completely. From what I've read of the fight, the Order that got into that instance were so disorganized that they were easily steamrolled.

Obviously you haven't seen Averheim's T4, where Destro tends to have a 3:1 Rank 40 ratio. They had SEVEN warbands worth of people. From what I understand, the instance only lasts an hour anyway, it's whoever's on top by then wins, and they had over 100 more people grinding the other instances. Even if Order somehow managed to stalemate their instance, they'd still have lost.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Wait, you can control the main cities? I thought the big lock icon over them meant that was impossible.

That means it's not currently possible with the zones held on your server.

The lock goes away once praag/reikwald (or the equivalent destruction area) is flipped to the opposing side.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    That's pretty dumb. If they are going to do that, then they should be putting a hard cap on server imbalances.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, of course the defense was unorganized. They were a relatively small PUG competing against a huge organized set of warbands. What the hell do you expect to happen?

Doc on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, of course the defense was unorganized. They were a relatively small PUG competing against a huge organized set of warbands. What the hell do you expect to happen?

For the plucky underarmed/manned rebels to make a last minute victory like in the movies?

Morkath on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

actually it blocked out a good chunk of people from entering becasue they were below 37

tyrannus on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's pretty dumb. If they are going to do that, then they should be putting a hard cap on server imbalances.

They do have a hard cap in place. You flat-out can't roll on a server that has too many Destro players.

Is there a delay between when Praag flips and when the city becomes attackable?

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I've suggested before that what they should have is a floating soft cap on top of the hard server login caps.

i.e. If only 100 Order are logged in, then only 100+1 Destro can be logged in. If 10 more Order log off, then those logged in can stay, but 10 more Order will need to log in or 10 Destro need to log off before more Destro can log in. This is the same system that most FPS games use for team balancing, which I'm sure most people are fine with.

Dracil on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    that is a terrible system.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dracil wrote: »

I've suggested before that what they should have is a floating soft cap on top of the hard server login caps.

i.e. If only 100 Order are logged in, then only 100+1 Destro can be logged in. If 10 more Order log off, then those logged in can stay, but 10 more Order will need to log in or 10 Destro need to log off before more Destro can log in. This is the same system that most FPS games use for team balancing, which I'm sure most people are fine with.

Which becomes a horrible idea once you are spending $15 a month to play the game, and suddenly can't login.

Maybe if characters weren't bound to a server.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No one pays $15 a month to play a FPS. Thats the worst idea ever. People already bitch about having to wait in line just to get in. Most waits are like 4 min.. they can't even wait 4min with out complaining. If I found out I couldn't play because there was to many Destro online, I'd find a way to bring my game back.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It works for FPS because you can choose whatever side you want. But once you've rolled Order on a server you can only be Order on that server, unless you delete your man.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    that is a terrible system.

Indeed. In an FPS, you don't have a character that persists on one side. That is, you can always play if you want to. It's a horrible analogy. I just take issue with the fact that huge server imbalances can unduly fuck people over. The system they have in place now amplifies population imbalances rather than minimizing their effect.

Doc on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

o_O

By most people, you mean you? What a horrible idea.

If you are really concerned about realm balance, roll on a full/full server. Skull Throne regularly has queues for both sides, which means the max amount of players for each side are playing.

Shens on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My WAR account expire this weekend.
    *has 3x lv 20s atm

I hope the phase 2 exp boost for tier 3 - 4 comes soon.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    altdorf on averheim is level 5 and order just pushed destro out of reikland to praag JUST NOW.

Angry on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And they've already made adjustments to it, and I'm certain they'll make more adjustments to it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dis wrote: »
    My WAR account expire this weekend.
    *has 3x lv 20s atm

I hope the phase 2 exp boost for tier 3 - 4 comes soon.

it was a hot fix, I believe its in already.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    RifterRifter Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Here is the deal with Dracil's post... his character cap idea is nice. Of course, this is coming from another Order person. It would finally make things fair.

I love how people jump up and immediately say they are not paying $15/mo to not get into a game... I say I am not paying $15/mo to play a PvP centric game that has me outnumbered 2:1. Either way, the enjoyment of the game goes down. Just which one gets the shaft, and which one doesn't?

The servers are unbalanced, and we have some very good people in our alliance. On equal footing, we are able to hold our own. When we are largely outnumbered, things really start to fall off.

Organizing 100 out of 500 players for an early morning raid is far easie than organizing 100 out of 200.

Rifter on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anecdotally, on my server (Darklands) when i first hit tier2, Destro dominated posession of the keeps. This week i've spent a bit of time on an alt, just hitting tier2 a couple days ago, and it seems we (order) are now dominating the tier2 keeps. Every time i've logged in we've had all or most of them, and for the duration i played we stayed in posession. Makes me wonder if the tide is turning, if theres any truth to the theory that Order attracts more casual players, taking longer to level up. We dont even have the bonus xp, either, so its not that.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Cryogen wrote: »
    Anecdotally, on my server (Darklands) when i first hit tier2, Destro dominated posession of the keeps. This week i've spent a bit of time on an alt, just hitting tier2 a couple days ago, and it seems we (order) are now dominating the tier2 keeps. Every time i've logged in we've had all or most of them, and for the duration i played we stayed in posession. Makes me wonder if the tide is turning, if theres any truth to the theory that Order attracts more casual players, taking longer to level up. We dont even have the bonus xp, either, so its not that.

Or most of destruction can't get into tier 2 anymore. :)

Morkath on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    I'm almost done with Chaos tier 2... and I'm one third into level 16.

...yeah. Guess I'll go do dark elf tier 2.

Echo on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Echo wrote: »

...How? My zealot was level 20.5 before she exited troll country, are you not RvRing at all or something?

Last Son on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

...How? My zealot was level 20.5 before she exited troll country, are you not RvRing at all or something?

Yeah, how ARE you doing that?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had to level the same way Echo did.

Order doesn't queue.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh. I'm 18 and only doing quests in the DE area and Scenarios and I've still got half a zone to go in DE T2.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my god i love this game. And since no one on Candymancers is posting back to my question, what is most desirable to a guild? I have rank 9-11's of a Warrior Priest, Swordmaster, Witch Hunter, and Shadow Warrior. I will definately be playing Shadow Warrior part time, because she is too fun to pass up. But for my guild char I want something useful, so either the tank or healer. Which is more desirable? Also note I am a bitch leveler so i probably wont be t4 until eternity+1.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my god i love this game. And since no one on Candymancers is posting back to my question, what is most desirable to a guild? I have rank 9-11's of a Warrior Priest, Swordmaster, Witch Hunter, and Shadow Warrior. I will definately be playing Shadow Warrior part time, because she is too fun to pass up. But for my guild char I want something useful, so either the tank or healer. Which is more desirable? Also note I am a bitch leveler so i probably wont be t4 until eternity+1.

Sword Master.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I've done a fair amount of RVR. Almost RR 12.

Echo on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I've done a fair amount of RVR. Almost RR 12.

I pretty much kept my level and RR equal until around 20.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How is Swordmaster? All the talk says horrible, but I'd like to hear from someone who's played them a bit.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Rifter wrote: »
    Here is the deal with Dracil's post... his character cap idea is nice. Of course, this is coming from another Order person. It would finally make things fair.

I love how people jump up and immediately say they are not paying $15/mo to not get into a game... I say I am not paying $15/mo to play a PvP centric game that has me outnumbered 2:1. Either way, the enjoyment of the game goes down. Just which one gets the shaft, and which one doesn't?

The servers are unbalanced, and we have some very good people in our alliance. On equal footing, we are able to hold our own. When we are largely outnumbered, things really start to fall off.

Organizing 100 out of 500 players for an early morning raid is far easie than organizing 100 out of 200.
    Scenarios account for a large portion of victory points. Those are even and you get in practically instantly. In about 3-4 hours my Ironbreaker got to 8 purely off scenarios and we win a ton.

The game is not just RvR lakes.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hear swordmasters are like black orcs, but worse

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I pretty much kept my level and RR equal until around 20.

I did that in T1.

But I goddamn hate Mourkain, so I haven't really kept up in T2.

Echo on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Even if they were as good, you have to live with the fact that you could have rolled a better tank AND race.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Even if they were as good, you have to live with the fact that you could have rolled a better tank AND race.

flowerpicking_wankers.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    DardraxDardrax Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Swordmasters can't tank as well as.. any other tank, but they have some utility, and AoE attacks which are fun. P.S. don't read warhammer alliance, shit's 90% whining and bullshit.

Dardrax on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    come on

warhammer elves are pretty neat

motherfucker.jpg

(I love linking this picture)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Morkath wrote: »

Which becomes a horrible idea once you are spending $15 a month to play the game, and suddenly can't login.

Maybe if characters weren't bound to a server.

It's also horrible being outnumbered to the point that RVR is a joke. Your point? And pretty sure XBox live FPS players live through this very system every day and are fine and they gotta pay too.

Characters not being bound to a server won't exactly help that much since the Order/Destro imbalance is kinda game-wide.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Not Warrior Priest, not witch hunter. Only 'cause they tend to be one of the three most overplayed classes, including BW. WP aren't as good as other healers for the most part. We need tanks, and SW are just rare that having some will bring variety and new abilities/buffs, like AP regen.

Dracil on
This discussion has been closed.