Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Simpson. O.J. Simpson. He was on trial for armed robbery...

13»

Posts

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I really think that social class and access to education (which are kinda linked, huh?) are big factors in determining a person's life.

    EDIT: Goddammit now I want to listen to that whiny Everlast song.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You mean education? That thing that always gets cut during budget time?

    Hmmm. I wonder...nah.

    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    huh, I guess I remembered the article wrong
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=death-row-predictor

    I could have sworn they said education was the key predictor, but it says it's actually the state they're charged in which also makes a lot of sense

    but education is a stronger indicator than race itself

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    According to the system, the death row inmates most likely to be executed are those with the lowest levels of education. The researchers, from Texas A&M University–Texarkana and Loyola University New Orleans, report in the International Journal of Law and Information Technology, that neither the severity of the crime nor race—the latter of which is often cited as a key factor in convictions—are reliable forecasters of a prisoner's fate.

    Yeah, it says that

    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    According to the system, the death row inmates most likely to be executed are those with the lowest levels of education. The researchers, from Texas A&M University–Texarkana and Loyola University New Orleans, report in the International Journal of Law and Information Technology, that neither the severity of the crime nor race—the latter of which is often cited as a key factor in convictions—are reliable forecasters of a prisoner's fate.

    Yeah, it says that

    but then toward the end of the article:
    The best predictor, he says, is the state in which a person is convicted: There were 42 executions in the U.S. last year, 26 of which took place in Texas.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Yall like numbers right?

    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm


    Fuck you Lincoln.

    I'm confused?

    Or is this one of those, America is rascist because there are more black people in jail than white people things? Up here they had the same thing but it was natives.

    So what? Should we just stop "arresting them for crimes they commit then"?

    Hi. No.
    I am racist.

    cheer_cubes_signature.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Yall like numbers right?

    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm


    Fuck you Lincoln.

    I'm confused?

    Or is this one of those, America is rascist because there are more black people in jail than white people things? Up here they had the same thing but it was natives.

    So what? Should we just stop "arresting them for crimes they commit then"?

    Hi. No.
    I am racist.

    so, wait
    are you saying fuck you Lincoln for setting those slaves free because look at all the trouble they're making?

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah.

    Ain't I a stinker.

    cheer_cubes_signature.png
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, that's so edgy. You just said you like slavery and are racist. That's awesome. Good job.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Yall like numbers right?

    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm


    Fuck you Lincoln.

    I'm confused?

    Or is this one of those, America is rascist because there are more black people in jail than white people things? Up here they had the same thing but it was natives.

    So what? Should we just stop "arresting them for crimes they commit then"?

    Hi. No.
    I am racist.

    so, wait
    are you saying fuck you Lincoln for setting those slaves free because look at all the trouble they're making?

    should've just sent them back home, really.

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    HF is so h4rdcor3

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll top him.

    I propose and support the extermination of all cats.

    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited October 2008
    I had a great idea for a book

    it would be a cross between Invisible Man and The Invisible Man

    it's about a world in which all black people are invisible

    at first it seems like a utopia, but it turns out it's a dystopia because the black people steal everyone's stuff

    so all of them are forced to wear special tracking collars

    but some escape and form a secret rebel society

  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited October 2008
    the question is how do I know they're black if they're all invisible

    the answer is...racism?

  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What about mulatto children? Because, if I understand your premise, there are a lot of white women getting raped by invisible black men

    I came into this topic to say that I remember when the verdict was announced for the original trial because it was during the middle of a school day and they paused all the classes to let us know the results over the intercom system. There were audible gasps

    juggcat.jpg
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If the biggest predicator is state, then doesn't that prove that it is lack of education and racism?

    They're all related, but the state is kind of like a category under which the levels of education and racism go, if you catch my drift

  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    Wow, that's so edgy. You just said you like slavery and are racist. That's awesome. Good job.

    No, I don't believe I did.
    I said I was racist, that doesn't mean I support slavery.
    And yes, we should have sent them all back home and kept the borders on lockdown.

    That being said, I voted for Obama.

    cheer_cubes_signature.png
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HallowedFaith: Absolute nonsense since 2006.

    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Keith wrote:
    What would be your ultimate slam dunk??
    I would dunk it so hard my parents would love each other again
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HallowedFaith: Absolute nonsense since 2006.

    You had me at hello.
    .....you had me at hello.

    But it's only nonsense to you because you don't understand it.

    cheer_cubes_signature.png
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Keith wrote:
    What would be your ultimate slam dunk??
    I would dunk it so hard my parents would love each other again
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    JOOOOEEE DUUUOOOO

    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    I'm ok with them being here now since we have reached a stage where we couldn't reverse it anyway. I firmly believe that it was a mistake to bring them here in the first place. Not just blacks though either, I'm a firm believer that our open door policy will be our destruction.

    Educational standards are low because of "minority" issues.
    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minority" issues.
    Drug trafficking and use amongst youth is increasing more and more, many thanks go to the "minority" issue.
    Welfare and "Government teet sucking" are abused by a high percentage of folks victim to the "minority" issue.

    At the end of the day, I am not saying that "black folk" are solely responsible for the issues in this country. I am however saying that statistical data doesn't shine a good light on their general population and I refuse to deny the issue because it is not politically correct or because I will be called racist.

    We need to stop with the fucking "minority" shit and let everyone be equal, because as we cater to skin color were not really hindering racism at all, quite the opposite; were etching it into our laws and system of government.

    Imagine Han Solo is racism, frozen in carbonite, and that carbonite is our country.

    cheer_cubes_signature.png
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minotiry" issues.

    It looks like you almost typed "monetary" issues, so I'm just gonna assume you said that and ignore the rest.

    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Keith wrote:
    What would be your ultimate slam dunk??
    I would dunk it so hard my parents would love each other again
  • GoatmonGoatmon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    I'm ok with them being here now since we have reached a stage where we couldn't reverse it anyway. I firmly believe that it was a mistake to bring them here in the first place. Not just blacks though either, I'm a firm believer that our open door policy will be our destruction.

    Educational standards are low because of "minority" issues.
    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minority" issues.
    Drug trafficking and use amongst youth is increasing more and more, many thanks go to the "minority" issue.
    Welfare and "Government teet sucking" are abused by a high percentage of folks victim to the "minority" issue.

    At the end of the day, I am not saying that "black folk" are solely responsible for the issues in this country. I am however saying that statistical data doesn't shine a good light on their general population and I refuse to deny the issue because it is not politically correct or because I will be called racist.

    We need to stop with the fucking "minority" shit and let everyone be equal, because as we cater to skin color were not really hindering racism at all, quite the opposite; were etching it into our laws and system of government.

    Imagine Han Solo is racism, frozen in carbonite, and that carbonite is our country.

    Tinka ame WMDs, jiji hopo poodoo terrists.

    oh ho ho ho ho ho

    aik7511.jpg
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minotiry" issues.

    It looks like you almost typed "monetary" issues, so I'm just gonna assume you said that and ignore the rest.

    Wordcist.

    cheer_cubes_signature.png
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But seriously read the Joseph Duo story which I linked earlier

    dude was a rebel fighter in Liberia and was in a very famous picture of the Liberian conflict

    it's touching!

    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    If the biggest predicator is state, then doesn't that prove that it is lack of education and racism?

    They're all related, but the state is kind of like a category under which the levels of education and racism go, if you catch my drift

    no, the point is that regardless of race, the state you live is the most significant predictor for whether you'll actually be executed

    I mean, if you read the article (not even that long) it even clearly explains this is because some states are more conservative and hence more willing to actually execute while other states are more liberal and less willing to execute, increasing the chance your appeal will work regardless of your race

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SaphSaph Registered User
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    I'm ok with them being here now since we have reached a stage where we couldn't reverse it anyway. I firmly believe that it was a mistake to bring them here in the first place. Not just blacks though either, I'm a firm believer that our open door policy will be our destruction.

    Educational standards are low because of "minority" issues.
    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minority" issues.
    Drug trafficking and use amongst youth is increasing more and more, many thanks go to the "minority" issue.
    Welfare and "Government teet sucking" are abused by a high percentage of folks victim to the "minority" issue.

    At the end of the day, I am not saying that "black folk" are solely responsible for the issues in this country. I am however saying that statistical data doesn't shine a good light on their general population and I refuse to deny the issue because it is not politically correct or because I will be called racist.

    We need to stop with the fucking "minority" shit and let everyone be equal, because as we cater to skin color were not really hindering racism at all, quite the opposite; were etching it into our laws and system of government.

    Imagine Han Solo is racism, frozen in carbonite, and that carbonite is our country.
    This is my opinion of what is wrong with the UK. The problem is not race, but those who choose to point out the race.

  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We tried sending people back to Africa once.

    Its called "Liberia" and its a shithole now.

    I'm ok with them being here now since we have reached a stage where we couldn't reverse it anyway. I firmly believe that it was a mistake to bring them here in the first place. Not just blacks though either, I'm a firm believer that our open door policy will be our destruction.

    Educational standards are low because of "minority" issues.
    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minority" issues.
    Drug trafficking and use amongst youth is increasing more and more, many thanks go to the "minority" issue.
    Welfare and "Government teet sucking" are abused by a high percentage of folks victim to the "minority" issue.

    At the end of the day, I am not saying that "black folk" are solely responsible for the issues in this country. I am however saying that statistical data doesn't shine a good light on their general population and I refuse to deny the issue because it is not politically correct or because I will be called racist.

    We need to stop with the fucking "minority" shit and let everyone be equal, because as we cater to skin color were not really hindering racism at all, quite the opposite; were etching it into our laws and system of government.

    Imagine Han Solo is racism, frozen in carbonite, and that carbonite is our country.
    Man I thought you were going in one direction but it turns out you weren't.

    What the hell am I supposed to do with my anger now? It doesn't just go away, you know.

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Educational standards are low because of "minority" issues.
    High crime rates are sufficiently tied to "minority" issues.
    Drug trafficking and use amongst youth is increasing more and more, many thanks go to the "minority" issue.
    Welfare and "Government teet sucking" are abused by a high percentage of folks victim to the "minority" issue.

    Your viewpoints are stupid and indicate a lack of understanding of any of the relevant fields. Like even a "college 101" understand of sociology, economics, or history.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    If the biggest predicator is state, then doesn't that prove that it is lack of education and racism?

    They're all related, but the state is kind of like a category under which the levels of education and racism go, if you catch my drift

    no, the point is that regardless of race, the state you live is the most significant predictor for whether you'll actually be executed

    I mean, if you read the article (not even that long) it even clearly explains this is because some states are more conservative and hence more willing to actually execute while other states are more liberal and less willing to execute, increasing the chance your appeal will work regardless of your race

    I'm positive you've got a hell of a better grip of the situation than me, so I'm just arguing for understanding

    would it be a dumb thing to say that the conservatism/liberalism of a given state are interrelated to education? it really doesn't seem as cut and dry as that to me

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    If the biggest predicator is state, then doesn't that prove that it is lack of education and racism?

    They're all related, but the state is kind of like a category under which the levels of education and racism go, if you catch my drift

    no, the point is that regardless of race, the state you live is the most significant predictor for whether you'll actually be executed

    I mean, if you read the article (not even that long) it even clearly explains this is because some states are more conservative and hence more willing to actually execute while other states are more liberal and less willing to execute, increasing the chance your appeal will work regardless of your race

    I'm positive you've got a hell of a better grip of the situation than me, so I'm just arguing for understanding

    would it be a dumb thing to say that the conservatism/liberalism of a given state are interrelated to education? it really doesn't seem as cut and dry as that to me

    not dumb at all
    none of these phenomena are independent, so I would agree that there's probably a trend in more conservative states toward worse public education and especially for minorities which probably tend to live in districts that are separate from middle to upper class communities where education is better funded

    so they certainly do play off of each other to some extent

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "minority issues" seems like a pretty vague, blanket term. I don't even know what that means.

    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fiz wrote: »
    What about mulatto children? Because, if I understand your premise, there are a lot of white women getting raped by invisible black men

    I came into this topic to say that I remember when the verdict was announced for the original trial because it was during the middle of a school day and they paused all the classes to let us know the results over the intercom system. There were audible gasps

    I remember that too. A bunch of us ran around shouting that he was found not guilty, quite excitedly.

    I have no problem admiting that I used to be dumb as hell. (I blame my strict, sheletered upbringing)

    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    "minority issues" seems like a pretty vague, blanket term. I don't even know what that means.

    "Non-whites are to blame."

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    trentsteel wrote: »
    "minority issues" seems like a pretty vague, blanket term. I don't even know what that means.

    "Non-whites are to blame."

    aHA

    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.